Informing Immigration Of Possible Overstay?

The poster is talking of extention of stay and not 90 days reporting

You do not have to leave the country on a breach of overstay necessarily

Depending where you live, I'd go and talk to them on Monday - too late today

caf

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun ThaiPhuket,

You have our empathy for the probable anxiety this is causing you !

You might get more focused responses if you clarify:

1. is your situation a case where your existing passport has just run out of pages, and you cannot add new pages ?

2. it seems very unlikely your current passport would have expired, but, if so, please clarify that.

Finally, may we suggest you repost on the main ThaiVisa forum for Visa issues where such real "visa gurus" as Lopburi3 hang out ... giving full details.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

OP does not provide details and it makes a difference what country is involved and why the new passport - for the US current passport would still be valid and the retirement could be entered into it and when new arrives transferred for the full time into the new passport. For UK passport believe it is canceled upon new passport application.

As said if you overstay it will be charged but they may be able to provide new extension without an exit/return and new visa. In worst case it would be pay fine, exit, return with new entry (NON IMM visa or obtain NON IMM from immigration) and then do the retirement extensions of stay again.

If you have space you can get the extension in your old passport, for till the date your passport is valid. (But full is full in your case). When you have a ne passport you return and get the rest of the 1 year extension for free.

A one or two day overstay will not be a big problem, normally it is just pay the fine and get the extension.

Sorry, omitted the fact that Passport itself is expiring too in March. I'm afraid immigration will not stamp a passport which is about to expire 4 weeks later. Is not the requirement minimum validity of 6 months? 2-3 pages left but was told last year it's considered full.

Edited by THAIPHUKET

Clarification= German passport expires March plus is full. New one is printed and shipped from Germany. Passport expected to arrive in Chaing Mai Feb2, Retirement Visa expires Feb.3

You can apply for a green passport. It will be issued by the German embassy in Bangkok within 24 hours and is valid for 12 months. This way, your visa stamps can be transferred, and then you'll transfer them again when the new red passport (valid for 10 years and printed in Berlin) arrives. I don't recommend risking the overstay, as I believe you will get problems renewing the retirement visa afterwards (just guessing).

Contact the German embassy in Bangkok, consular department (passport section) for more info. The lady is very helpful.

Sorry, omitted the fact that Passport itself is expiring too in March. I'm afraid immigration will not stamp a passport which is about to expire 4 weeks later. Is not the requirement minimum validity of 6 months? 2-3 pages left but was told last year it's considered full.

As said by Lopburi, the 6 month vaidity is only for entry not for an extension of stay. You can get the extension of stay in the old passport without any problem. The extension will be till the date the passport expires. When you have the new passport you return to immirgation to have your stamps transfered and they wil than also give you the rest of the 1 year extension. All for free.

The six month validity is for entry into Thailand - not for extensions of stay.

Hi Lopburi3

I was under that impression when I went for my 14th annual extension, however my passport was only valid for 11 months so Lopburi immigration gave me an extension for 11 months and told me if I came back with a new passport within 1 month they would extend my extension to the full year. Worth checking?

Bangkok has always operated with issue to the expiration date of the passport and when you arrive with a new passport they make it the full year. No requirement to return in any set time. Perhaps Lopburi is setting there own requirements as retirement is a local decision now.

The outcome=

new passport arrived 1 day before visa expired, good. Next day

1. transfer of old visa into new passport,

2. new visa stamp

3. multiple entry stamp

Time at immigration 4 hours, always very friendly in CM , very different from Phuket.

Heaps of photocopies for each step.

Tried to foresee number of copies and had multiple set but to no avail.

Mostly the unexppected copy was requested resulting in walk to copy shack, wait in line, pay 4x as much as in local shop, 2 b vs 50s.

While waiting tried to imagine the mountains of copies accumulated over 10 years., gave up.

Guess, using these cheap little digi cameras to take shots of a whole passport would eliminate too many jobs and would hurt paper and machine suppliers.

At least I have always a complete set of my relevant travel documents somewhere online, accessible from anywhere.

Thanks for help< was great!!