Buying A House In Pattaya

ExpatOilWorker

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great that your taking your time,I was in the same boat as you, Thai girlfriend (no wife as yet ),looking around a year or so ago,transferred the money over to K bank ready to do a deal,looked and looked some more,far too many to take in,so that meant prices were on the way down ,so I stuck at that,now the £s coming back I can transfer it back to the UK and lose nothing.

Anyone trying to sell ,face it there are thousands want to put you in their position and sell up and be free,they all know the writings on the wall,yesterday a local paper screaming out that Chomburi have now joined up with Phuket and demanding mandatory medical insurance for all retiree ex pats,knowing Thailand that will be set impossibly high especially for the 60 plus brigade ,so another prospect on top of a few more awaiting in the wings.

I know you have 2 million plus to spend on a house,but why restrict yourself to a 2 million advertised house,go after bigger fish. Talking to a guy in a ATM queue yesterday ,his up for sale at 16 million,he started grimacing at the prospect at only 6 million being offered, but said if shove came to push he would have to take it,0ne year from now he maybe up for 2 million.

Another paradise I left the ex pats were leaving their house deeds with the taxi drivers who were taking them to the airport. Great times ahead for you I'm sure,but I think I'd wait a bit longer await the alarm bells,see what deals await.

Great that your taking your time,I was in the same boat as you, Thai girlfriend (no wife as yet ),looking around a year or so ago,transferred the money over to K bank ready to do a deal,looked and looked some more,far too many to take in,so that meant prices were on the way down ,so I stuck at that,now the £s coming back I can transfer it back to the UK and lose nothing.

Anyone trying to sell ,face it there are thousands want to put you in their position and sell up and be free,they all know the writings on the wall,yesterday a local paper screaming out that Chomburi have now joined up with Phuket and demanding mandatory medical insurance for all retiree ex pats,knowing Thailand that will be set impossibly high especially for the 60 plus brigade ,so another prospect on top of a few more awaiting in the wings.

I know you have 2 million plus to spend on a house,but why restrict yourself to a 2 million advertised house,go after bigger fish. Talking to a guy in a ATM queue yesterday ,his up for sale at 16 million,he started grimacing at the prospect at only 6 million being offered, but said if shove came to push he would have to take it,0ne year from now he maybe up for 2 million.

Another paradise I left the ex pats were leaving their house deeds with the taxi drivers who were taking them to the airport. Great times ahead for you I'm sure,but I think I'd wait a bit longer await the alarm bells,see what deals await.

I like your thinking Jori and a friend of a friend has reduced his asking price for a house in Hua Hin from 16 M to 9 M, post financial crises.

Good deals are around for sure and by all means if you know of anybody who will sell their house for a ticket home and 2 M in cash, let me know.

I like your thinking Jori and a friend of a friend has reduced his asking price for a house in Hua Hin from 16 M to 9 M, post financial crises.

Good deals are around for sure and by all means if you know of anybody who will sell their house for a ticket home and 2 M in cash, let me know.

Maybe but do NOT NOT NOT enter this property market,no new money flowing into it , it is as dead as it can be,it's withering on the vine. The people now owning property have had good years ,not now ,they will never sell,nor will you if you buy anything.

The GF's mate bought a nice 2 bedroomed in Chockchai 7, Soi Khao Noi last year for 1.2M. Very nice, but I think that they are all spoken for, even though 90% of the estate is still a building site. Many who bought 'off plan' are reselling for 2M ATM.:unsure:

Maybe but do NOT NOT NOT enter this property market,no new money flowing into it , it is as dead as it can be,it's withering on the vine. The people now owning property have had good years ,not now ,they will never sell,nor will you if you buy anything.

What rubbish! I sold a property last week for a fair price! that both the buyer and I were happy about...

Edited by Rimmer
Quote fixed

What rubbish! I sold a property last week for a fair price! that both the buyer and I were happy about...

Without revealing personal information, do you mind sharing the numbers for what a fair deal is at the moment, price, m2, floor, house/town house, rough location, ect?

Give this a bit of thought. You bought a house,which the country expressively forbids.

Just a correction: foreigners are allowed to own buildings 100%.

It is the ground that we cannot own.

The distinction you try to make is totally meaningless. Yes, under Thai law, a foreigner can own a building. He cannot own the land on which the building sits. But, the building owner/foreigner must have some legal right to have his building sit on someone else's land. The typical means to create that right (since land ownership is not possible) is by leasing the land with the right to construct/locate a building on the land. In Thailand, the term limit of a recordable, enforceable lease is 30 years. Rights of lease renewal are personal rights against the lessor and do not run with the land. When the 30 year lease term expires, the building owner must vacate the land and remove his building because he no longer has any right to locate his building on the rented land -- that right has expired. If the building is left on the land, it will revert to the owner of the land at the end of the lease term. If the owner removes the building it will be worth its scrap value (unless it is a mobile home, on wheels). The lease agreement typically deals with "hold over" issues and the rights of the lessor and lessee on the expiration of the lease. If ownership of the house (but not the land) gives you, as the home owner, any comfort, it shouldn't.....

The fact (if it is true) that one house sold last week at a "fair price" does not in any way mean that the housing market is "alive and well" in Pattaya -- it is not. While Jori's view is an exterme one, his view and his cautions are closer to reality than your fairytale ("come on in, the water's fine"). The housing market in Pattaya is one to enter very VERY cautiously. It is an extreme "buyers' market". And as soon as you buy, you will be a seller, which will put you in a difficult position. To be sure the best place to be is in the under B2 million segment, where there are active Thai buyers. But what ever the circumstance, be sure that you are committed to own the house for a long time, regardless of how your personal circumstances may change, because the reality is that you will.............

Edited by Thailaw

There isnt "a market" in Pattaya: there are at least two. The market for things that farangs can buy (ie 49% of a condo) and the one for things that they cant buy (ie everything else). These two are totally different for obvious reasons.

And even then, if you put any property up for sale at the right price it will sell. The reason that many places dont sell here is simply because they are grossly overpriced. Many of the prices I see here are approaching European price levels, and given the low cost of materials and labour here that just cant be right.

I heard about a condo on the beach in Jomtien last week. I visited it the next day. It sold for the full asking price within 2 days, but not to me as I'm an old fart and I was too slow. It wasnt a fire sale: just a reasonable price for a decent property. Compare that with crappy old places that are on sale for years on end with no viewings and fewer offers. They are too expensive and that's all there is to it.

If you want to discuss the reasons why farang quota condos are overpriced, I put it down mostly to these people who buy them by the dozen and then hang on to them waiting for who-knows-what. Perhaps there should be a rule preventing anyone from owning more than two or three? That at least would get the prices down to where they should be.

There isnt "a market" in Pattaya: there are at least two. The market for things that farangs can buy (ie 49% of a condo) and the one for things that they cant buy (ie everything else). These two are totally different for obvious reasons.

And even then, if you put any property up for sale at the right price it will sell. The reason that many places dont sell here is simply because they are grossly overpriced. Many of the prices I see here are approaching European price levels, and given the low cost of materials and labour here that just cant be right.

I heard about a condo on the beach in Jomtien last week. I visited it the next day. It sold for the full asking price within 2 days, but not to me as I'm an old fart and I was too slow. It wasnt a fire sale: just a reasonable price for a decent property. Compare that with crappy old places that are on sale for years on end with no viewings and fewer offers. They are too expensive and that's all there is to it.

If you want to discuss the reasons why farang quota condos are overpriced, I put it down mostly to these people who buy them by the dozen and then hang on to them waiting for who-knows-what. Perhaps there should be a rule preventing anyone from owning more than two or three? That at least would get the prices down to where they should be.

Darrel, do you know rough numbers for that condo sale in Jomtien? M2, price?

The GF's mate bought a nice 2 bedroomed in Chockchai 7, Soi Khao Noi last year for 1.2M. Very nice, but I think that they are all spoken for, even though 90% of the estate is still a building site. Many who bought 'off plan' are reselling for 2M ATM.:unsure:

I would have second thoughts on Choc chai 7. The place will be a sewage dump/ sump the first time the monsoon rains fall,see how low it sits from the road,you will need a boat to get out of the place.

You need to get the biggest bang for your buck at this very moment to carry you through for a possible sale in the years to come, and yes you will be eventually selling to a Thai with no more than 2 million to spend ,but even that may not save you as they do not like buying second hand,plus the doors windows whatever maybe pointing in the wrong direction etc etc etc.... Oh Christ why did I bother ?.

:jap:

To suggest that there are "separate" markets for property that foreigners can own and property that foreigners cannot own is simply wrong. It would mean, for example, that no one that wants to buy a condo with a foreigner quota ever "accepts" a Thai company ownership arrangement because the foreigner quota in the condo building that the buyer likes is full. Clearly, they do -- many have. It would be equally incorrect to say that there is a market for 3 bedroom houses which is separate from the markets for 2 bedroom and 4 bedroom houses. The housing market in Pattaya for all kinds of property is depressed, and the prices of all kinds of property tend to be too high. Certain events, such as threats of a government attack on foreign home ownership, affect the prices of some kinds of property more than others, but that does not mean that the properties are in separate markets. Prices of housing tend to be "sticky downward" everywhere, but that phenomenon is more pronounced here. I think it is because most housing is purchased without a mortgage so that the financial pressure to reduce price to sell in a down market is reduced. Also, many owners are retired, so the relocation for job requirements is much less. In addition, Pattaya is a high tourist destination, so there is always the rental fallback (at least with condos) if you cannot sell for the price you want. All of these factors make the "wait it out" mentality more the norm in Pattaya. Of course, there are exceptions, and some people will need to sell quickly. Those are the people that a buyer needs to find (and hopefully they will be selling a home that the buyer likes). But that search requires time and effort, and one of the most difficult things to acquire here is good, useful and reliable information. There is no MLS service in Pattaya, so you cannot see the entire market. I worked with an agent for 3+ months, and checked the internet sites of numerous property agents. I wish I had searched for two years, and lived in Pattaya while that search was ongoing. I am sure that I would have done much better. It is a very tough market to buy into, which is one more good reason to rent, until you are very sure that you have found the place where you will be happy living for a long time to come. This is not the place to look for a house to buy. It is a place to look at houses and buy one when (and only when) you have found the house you want to buy -- big difference.

But what ever the circumstance, be sure that you are committed to own the house for a long time, regardless of how your personal circumstances may change, because the reality is that you will.............

Isn't that the case for any real property purchase anywhere in the world? Otherwise, there is this concept called "rent" that you may have heard about.

Agreed many folks paid silly-money prices during the boom prior to the Great Recession, not only in Thailand but also in UK, Spain, Ireland, Iceland, USA, and maybe some other markets. Doesn't mean that housing is generally a bad deal. Everyone's financial and life situation is different and in a properly functioning housing market, one not distorted by government interference as is the case in many Western markets, the cost of buying or renting are pretty much the same...especially over the longer term.

It's too bad that many current sellers "drank the Kool-Aid" and overpaid and are now getting hosed on resales, but now is the time for the smart money to get smarter. If you want a place to live in, as opposed to flip for a profit, now is a great time to have a look around.

Edited by FarangBuddha

yesterday a local paper screaming out that Chomburi have now joined up with Phuket and demanding mandatory medical insurance for all retiree ex pats,knowing Thailand that will be set impossibly high especially for the 60 plus brigade ,so another prospect on top of a few more awaiting in the wings.

Is there anything unusual in this...it's the case in most countries which encourage retirement settlement of foreigners. And besides, as a Thai taxpayer, I don't want to be responsible for paying the medical care costs of a bunch of feckless ferengs who wash-up in Thailand without adequate financial means to care for themselves should a medical situation arise.

yesterday a local paper screaming out that Chomburi have now joined up with Phuket and demanding mandatory medical insurance for all retiree ex pats,knowing Thailand that will be set impossibly high especially for the 60 plus brigade ,so another prospect on top of a few more awaiting in the wings.

Is there anything unusual in this...it's the case in most countries which encourage retirement settlement of foreigners. And besides, as a Thai taxpayer, I don't want to be responsible for paying the medical care costs of a bunch of feckless ferengs who wash-up in Thailand without adequate financial means to care for themselves should a medical situation arise.

Well yes, I think there is,especially at this point in time,especially on the subject about propertry

It is not particularly about non- affordable health insurance cost,which undoubtly will be hoisted onto the over 60 brigade, nor about criminal clearance either which again raises its ugly head to the intended,it is about visa,it all comes down to the visa, i.e. will you be given permission to remain in the country?. if that specific question is no, look at the fallout there,overnight whole estates/sub divisions and condos emptied,my God we are not talking in millions for a sale,but single Baht. Methinks I'll hang on for a bit,might get something that was 20 mil for 10 Baht

Yeah rent rent rent. Ive heard this shit for years whilst living here. Pattayas property market is finished! We will all be sent home the time is coming! Houses bought under a Thai company will be taken off you, very soon! The world is going to end we are all doomed!

You will hear the same shit forever from some people. My mate just sold his house on the darkside a little over what he paid for it 1 year ago within 1 month. If you have something worth buying it will sell quick if you don't then it wont, bleeding obvious really isn't it. So don't buy something that no one else would want to buy, if your incapable of doing that then don't buy!

Yeah rent rent rent. Ive heard this shit for years whilst living here. Pattayas property market is finished! We will all be sent home the time is coming! Houses bought under a Thai company will be taken off you, very soon! The world is going to end we are all doomed!

You will hear the same shit forever from some people. My mate just sold his house on the darkside a little over what he paid for it 1 year ago within 1 month. If you have something worth buying it will sell quick if you don't then it wont, bleeding obvious really isn't it. So don't buy something that no one else would want to buy, if your incapable of doing that then don't buy!

Yes, get's tiresome hearing the same tune all the time, I have lived happily in my own property for 10 years.

If people can't afford to buy a house, leave it at that and rent, why try to convince everybody we should be doing the same thing!

Yes, get's tiresome hearing the same tune all the time, I have lived happily in my own property for 10 years.

If people can't afford to buy a house, leave it at that and rent, why try to convince everybody we should be doing the same thing!

It is not as simple as "if you can't (or can) afford to buy", except perhaps for very simple minds. I "bought" (at least I paid for) a B10 million home in Pattaya, so I guess I qualify as being "able to afford" a home. But I, like every other home owner I know in the Pattaya area, wishes they had rented and were able to move to a different city, area or home if and when they choose to do so. Were we all stupid to listen to guys like you? Perhaps yes, but at least we took the purchase of a home too casually, and assumed that the "market was at work" and that prices reflected what the house was "worth" and could be sold for if and when we wanted to move -- we were certainly wrong on that! Whether anyone buys a house in Pattaya (or not) is a personal choice (and I really don't care either way) -- ya pays your money and ya takes your chances, simple as that. All I try to do is urge caution and care, and suggest that prospective buyers do not listen to brain dead people with a vested interest in selling homes to the unwary and who in almost every case know nothing about real estate in general or the Pattaya market in particular. Researching the Pattaya market, i.e., looking at a hundred houses all with inflated asking prices, might lead a reasonable buyer to conclude that the inflated prices reflect the "market" (notwithstanding that many of the houses have been for sale for several years at those prices, but no one will tell you that) -- but you would be very wrong. So, until you understand this market and what issues you are dealing with when buying a home, rent. No reason to thank me, but if you follow my advice you will.... Caveat emptor.....

Edited by Thailaw

seconded! i'm also sick and tired reading the postings of the poor boys who don't own a pot to piss in but advising me what to do with my money such as "rent, rent, rent... don't buy! the sky is falling any time from now. they will expropriate you! you are a criminal and prison waits for you. they don't want us here. they just want our money and then we are supposed leave."

during the six years i am living here i saved more on income tax then i spent for my home. and i stopped counting the cost for building, upgrading, rectifying construction mistakes, add-ons, etc. of my home when i exceeded spending the "modest" sum of 25 million Baht!

i therefore repeat: "don't tell us about your miserable life in Thailand. keep your valuable advice to yourself, leave the country if you don't like it here and lead a miserable life (as you did before) in your home country!"

It is not particularly about non- affordable health insurance cost,which undoubtly will be hoisted onto the over 60 brigade, nor about criminal clearance either which again raises its ugly head to the intended,it is about visa,it all comes down to the visa, i.e. will you be given permission to remain in the country?. if that specific question is no, look at the fallout there,overnight whole estates/sub divisions and condos emptied,my God we are not talking in millions for a sale,but single Baht. Methinks I'll hang on for a bit,might get something that was 20 mil for 10 Baht

cheap Charlies will not be "given permission to remain in the country"! :lol:

cheap Charlies will not be "given permission to remain in the country"! :lol:

But hey,nothing about affordability.nothing about 25 mil housing ,it's about future permission to remain in the country. I'm sure your aware of events that have happened /are happening in other areas of the world close by,the last few years have been relatively smooth as for visas in this country, I do not think for one moment that that situation being maintained,not one bit. Thailand has changed considerably it's attude to foreigners it the last few years. It will be good watching the results :D

I would have second thoughts on Choc chai 7. The place will be a sewage dump/ sump the first time the monsoon rains fall,see how low it sits from the road,you will need a boat to get out of the place.

She's been living there for a year. I'm no expert but doesn't that include 'monsoon season'? Or are you referring to longer weather phenomena such as El Nino / La Nina? Or sunspots?:rolleyes:

Edited by ElCata

But hey,nothing about affordability.nothing about 25 mil housing ,it's about future permission to remain in the country. I'm sure your aware of events that have happened /are happening in other areas of the world close by,the last few years have been relatively smooth as for visas in this country, I do not think for one moment that that situation being maintained,not one bit. Thailand has changed considerably it's attude to foreigners it the last few years. It will be good watching the results :D

i have been visiting Thailand as a tourist and on business trips for more than a quarter century, live in Thailand since 6 years and have not realised any change in attitude except the personal views that a bunch of disgruntled expats voice in Thaivisa.

seconded! i'm also sick and tired reading the postings of the poor boys who don't own a pot to piss in but advising me what to do with my money such as "rent, rent, rent... don't buy! the sky is falling any time from now. they will expropriate you! you are a criminal and prison waits for you. they don't want us here. they just want our money and then we are supposed leave."

during the six years i am living here i saved more on income tax then i spent for my home. and i stopped counting the cost for building, upgrading, rectifying construction mistakes, add-ons, etc. of my home when i exceeded spending the "modest" sum of 25 million Baht!

i therefore repeat: "don't tell us about your miserable life in Thailand. keep your valuable advice to yourself, leave the country if you don't like it here and lead a miserable life (as you did before) in your home country!"

Is Naam getting a bit grumpy on his old days or just having a bad hair day?