Louts On Baht Bus

actiondell4

I have said this over and over and over again and no one does it...

PEPPER SPRAY

Right, and there's three of them. Good luck with that. I think when you feel you need to carry a weapon (defensive and non-lethal it may be) you need to wonder if you're in the right place and/or going about life in the right way.

As to why ANYONE brings children to Pattaya or lives with children in Pattaya.... no idea. It is not a healthy environment for them.

I bring children to Pattaya just fine. Thais in the hospitality industry are great with kids. I wouldn't take them near bar areas of course, but it is indeed a possibility to be on the baht bus between Pattaya and Jomtien, for example coming back from Central Festival, from dinner, etc.

you have obviously never used pepper spray

pepper spray would disable a crowd of ten in a confined area

it would do just fine for three 'persons' on a baht bus

in countries all over the world people carry weapons much more serious than pepper spray

in Alaska, 6 out of 10 people carry a gun

does it make Alaskans bad people or the USA a bad country or that they are all living life in a paranoic manner?

i don't think so.......

(Sarah Palin would be a notable exception)

Now benice to Sarah, she doesn't know any better and after all she can see Russia from her place LOL - Suggestion though, do not use Pepper Spray, you have to be too close from what I understand. Try getting a wasp spray - they are good for about five metres and quite accurate.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

antathome

''Now benice to Sarah, she doesn't know any better and after all she can see Russia from her place LOL - Suggestion though, do not use Pepper Spray, you have to be too close from what I understand. Try getting a wasp spray - they are good for about five metres and quite accurate''

you understand wrong, proximity to target is not so relavent as the velocity of the spray created by the propellant in the canister

a good quality highly pressurised spray will incapacitate anything inside a 5-10 metre circle, ample for use on a baht bus

just make sure you do not remain in that 5 metre circle and that you are upwind when spraying it............

Now benice to Sarah, she doesn't know any better and after all she can see Russia from her place LOL - Suggestion though, do not use Pepper Spray, you have to be too close from what I understand. Try getting a wasp spray - they are good for about five metres and quite accurate.

Its the wasp nest destroyer foam, a few people carry it over here in blighty, it is accurate and you can get a good distant on it. It's legal, you can actually buy a small can of it designed to fit in your pocket or purse. Not sure why you would want or need to carry a small pocket size can though, I assume its just in case you get on baht bus or your walking home at night and you stumble upon a wasp nest.

I was stopped once by a copper who told me that I the best thing to carry is a large heavy metal flash light, it can't be classed as a weapon unlike a cosh or a dog chain etc. The problem in england is you can't really carry anything now because you'll end up behind bars. Theres loads of products coming out on the market at the moment that try to get around this issue, I've seen a steering wheel lock thats shaped like a baseball bat, it's legal, you can also buy walking sticks that also resemble a baseball bat.

I wish I could buy my wife a stun gun to carry with her when she's out, unfortunately though that would be a prison sentance if caught using it and the mugger would then sue her for damages. Madness

Its the wasp nest destroyer foam, a few people carry it over here in blighty, it is accurate and you can get a good distant on it. It's legal, you can actually buy a small can of it designed to fit in your pocket or purse. Not sure why you would want or need to carry a small pocket size can though, I assume its just in case you get on baht bus or your walking home at night and you stumble upon a wasp nest.

I was stopped once by a copper who told me that I the best thing to carry is a large heavy metal flash light, it can't be classed as a weapon unlike a cosh or a dog chain etc. The problem in england is you can't really carry anything now because you'll end up behind bars. Theres loads of products coming out on the market at the moment that try to get around this issue, I've seen a steering wheel lock thats shaped like a baseball bat, it's legal, you can also buy walking sticks that also resemble a baseball bat.

I wish I could buy my wife a stun gun to carry with her when she's out, unfortunately though that would be a prison sentance if caught using it and the mugger would then sue her for damages. Madness

what about pepper spray with a wasp spray sticker?

even after a warning from the mods we have another racially biased post!

so when will you guys learn to read the whole thread before commenting in a racially biased manner?

the OP said the were AUSTRALIAN,

tgeezer (another racially biased contributor) thought they were English not the OP

tgeezer was not there to comment or qualify on their descendants, he just quickly assumed that they were English as he is racially biased against them, like you

as the OP did not say the were white anglo saxon english descended Australians, they could just as easily have been native aborigines or descended from indians, arabs, asians, germans or even americans

Australia is a very cosmopolitan society and not all are descended from English convicts and 10 pound poms

thats a myth, much like the content of most of your racially biased post.........

Edited by Rimmer
Quoted reply from deleted post removed sorry Mr. T

the 'wasps' i was thinking of might well be described as animals but not the kind whose welfare i personally would worry about nor many on here either i think

these were of the larger variety in the UK who might need swatting with a legally appearing ''wasp spray'' with the appropriate ''wasp spray'' stickers but was actually the more effective on '' sub humans'' pepper spray

that might be away around the law to get them into UK

many, many years ago i imported stun guns into the UK from USA with the packaging/instructions/batteries removed and for the benefit of customs called them stove ignitors

there were no problems, but it was likely at that time most customs officers had never even heard of a stun gun never mind actually seen one.....

the 'wasps' i was thinking of might well be described as animals but not the kind whose welfare i personally would worry about nor many on here either i think

these were of the larger variety in the UK who might need swatting with a legally appearing ''wasp spray'' with the appropriate ''wasp spray'' stickers but was actually the more effective on '' sub humans'' pepper spray

that might be away around the law to get them into UK

many, many years ago i imported stun guns into the UK from USA with the packaging/instructions/batteries removed and for the benefit of customs called them stove ignitors

there were no problems, but it was likely at that time most customs officers had never even heard of a stun gun never mind actually seen one.....

Oh I see, confusion over. I've seen a few stun guns floating around that resemble mobile phones, great idea, You can get them over here but being caught with one is a severe punishment. Shame really cos I'd love to take a walk to my local shop in the evening and give those yobs a little buzz.

Out of interest does anyone know the law in thailand with carrying stun guns and personal protection for a farang?

OP, I take it you haven't been in Pattaya for a very long time. Stay longer and this incident will seem like nothing.

Funny thing is that Pattaya is a lot softer now. Imagine these fools pulling that stunt 10 years ago. There would have been blood flow.

Clearly these guys will get what's coming to them, there's always a bigger fish out there.

Totally agree with posters saying one should stand their ground. These guys were bullies plain and simple and in my experience, most, if not all bullies are cowards and will back down when confronted.

One thing that does puzzle me however is how quick some people are to offer someones race as a determinate factor for a predispostion towards violence/drinking etc. Surely in this day and age with so many cultures and races mixing globally on a daily basis this sort of stereotypical, nay racist nonsense was a thing of the past?

That's more disappointing to me than the behaviour of these louts.

Edited by JimmyChoons

This is exactly why I have decided to return to my country and have my daughter live and study there. Pattaya if so full of these low lives and a great deal live here permanently. This is no city to bring up a child, especially a little girl with mixed blood. Her mother is apprehensive about moving but for the sake of the Child we are happy to make the move. What a shame as we love living here, Golf, great restaurants, magnificent inexpensive hotels, as we love to travel around, and many friends who have children her age to play with.

You dont have to leave Thailand, why not try Cha am or Hua Hin.......very cheap and reasonable schools....I for one wouldnt want my kids going to an English school with all the daft PC rubbish they teach them there.

the 'copper' clearly misinformed you.

The issue is not the item you are carrying, the issue is what you intend to do with that item, a flashlight can be classed as a weapon if your intention is to use it as a weapon, the same goes for the dog chain, Carrying a flashlight and telling the police you are carrying it to hit people with then you are carrying a weapon

This is exactly why I have decided to return to my country and have my daughter live and study there. Pattaya if so full of these low lives and a great deal live here permanently. This is no city to bring up a child, especially a little girl with mixed blood. Her mother is apprehensive about moving but for the sake of the Child we are happy to make the move. What a shame as we love living here, Golf, great restaurants, magnificent inexpensive hotels, as we love to travel around, and many friends who have children her age to play with.

Seems a drastic step to take, unless you believe the whole of Thailand is as "bad" as Pattaya. What about the dark side or Jomptien?

I don't know what "your country" is, but I doubt it's safer than Pattaya. I feel safer here than I ever did in London, any time of day, and although I didn't see much out of London, the news paper articles about the louts and thugs elsewhere put me off going anyway.

In fact, in all the days I've spent in Pattaya, I've seen very little violence. Considering how much alcohol is consumed, I'm surprised there is so little actual mayhem.

The issue is not the item you are carrying, the issue is what you intend to do with that item, a flashlight can be classed as a weapon if your intention is to use it as a weapon, the same goes for the dog chain, Carrying a flashlight and telling the police you are carrying it to hit people with then you are carrying a weapon

That's correct, which is why a heavy flashlight is ideal, as it is about the only thing that can be passed as having a legitimate use other than as a weapon if plod accosts one. Just remember to hit the thug with the light end. That is the only way you can say it was used in self defence.

For the past few years, official pronouncements in the UK on incidents make me concerned that it will become illegal to defend oneself. Statements that one should not come to the defence of another in trouble would inspire more confidence if one actually believed the plod would turn up and rescue the victim. Too often all that happens is that the victim is written off as a statistic, and the perpetrators go unpunished, especially as they are often too young to be prosecuted.

Unfortunately, it is my generation that has allowed this situation to arise, and it has now come back to bite is on the bum!

If you are ever in a serious confrontation where your life is in danger, the aforementioned areas are the easiest, and most effective targets. Before coming to LOS I spent time with a a fighting expert,and friend of the family,who trained his son all the way to to a world championship belt. He recommended these targets. He did not recommend boxing,or martial arts, because we were talking about survival! Remember we are discussing a man being threatened by 3 louts, and a nutty Thai.

Also, scream like a mad man when you strike. On the other hand, one could tell their attackers that the Thiavisa members strongly disapprove of their behavior. :lol:

Perhaps so, but the relevant word in all that is "TRAINED". For someone like myself, old, weak and unfit, all this talk of standing up against a number of young, fit, out of control thugs is laughable.

As I lie in my hospital bed, damaged and in pain, should I comfort myself with the thought that I "stood up for myself"?

antathome

''Now benice to Sarah, she doesn't know any better and after all she can see Russia from her place LOL - Suggestion though, do not use Pepper Spray, you have to be too close from what I understand. Try getting a wasp spray - they are good for about five metres and quite accurate''

you understand wrong, proximity to target is not so relavent as the velocity of the spray created by the propellant in the canister

a good quality highly pressurised spray will incapacitate anything inside a 5-10 metre circle, ample for use on a baht bus

just make sure you do not remain in that 5 metre circle and that you are upwind when spraying it............

You spray me as well, and I might hit you with my walking stick! ( joking )

Right, and there's three of them. Good luck with that. I think when you feel you need to carry a weapon (defensive and non-lethal it may be) you need to wonder if you're in the right place and/or going about life in the right way.

You could take out an entire baht bus with just a few seconds of a pepper spray blast.

You just have to make sure to position your self so the wind is not blowing in your direction as you spray. You also don't have to spray while you're IN the bus. All the sides are open and you have to walk up to pay the driver anyway.

Me carrying pepper spray has nothing to do with how I am going about life. That is absolutely ridiculous. The fact is, Pattaya is full of drunks, drug addicts and trouble makers who DO randomly attack / rob people for no reason at all. It is called being prepared so you are not a victim. If I am in the right place or not is open to discussion, but here I am and until I'm somewhere else, I'll carry pepper spray.

You are correct about not shooting very far. Never heard of wasp spray. Can you buy it here?

Note about locally bought pepper spray:

1) As soon as you buy it, TEST IT. Walk outside to a sewer drain and shoot into it for a good second or two to make sure it works.

(I've had a brand new canister literally explode spray in my hand before. Nozzle broke on first push!)

2) Once you know it works shooting down and away from your face, shoot a second straight as if you were shooting at a target. The idea here is to see what length you can spray. Some brands shoot longer than others. On average, the locally sold pepper spray will shoot from 1 meter - 3 meters. I've yet to find one that shoot shoots more than that even if advertised on the package that it does. But really, a meter or two is plenty for someone who is near you.

That's correct, which is why a heavy flashlight is ideal, as it is about the only thing that can be passed as having a legitimate use other than as a weapon if plod accosts one. Just remember to hit the thug with the light end. That is the only way you can say it was used in self defence.

For the past few years, official pronouncements in the UK on incidents make me concerned that it will become illegal to defend oneself. Statements that one should not come to the defence of another in trouble would inspire more confidence if one actually believed the plod would turn up and rescue the victim. Too often all that happens is that the victim is written off as a statistic, and the perpetrators go unpunished, especially as they are often too young to be prosecuted.

Unfortunately, it is my generation that has allowed this situation to arise, and it has now come back to bite is on the bum!

No the police officer did not misinform me at all, a flash light will not get you stopped or pulled in the car, no one in their right mind would tell a copper that they intended to smash someone round the head with it. If you did hit someone with it, you would not be arrested for using an "offensive weapon"

I have unfortunately had to use a flashlight before and I wasn't arrested for using it, I claimed it was self defence and nothing more was done about it, I was however warned that there are guidelines on far reasonable force will be accepted in relation to self defence, but thats a differant issue altogether. By law you can defend your self using reasonable force, what one person describes as reasonable force can differ from the next person.

The fact is, Pattaya is full of drunks, drug addicts and trouble makers who DO randomly attack / rob people for no reason at all. It is called being prepared so you are not a victim. If I am in the right place or not is open to discussion, but here I am and until I'm somewhere else, I'll carry pepper spray.

How is your above statement fact, Patts is full of drunks, druggies and trouble makers who randomly attack and rob people. Sorry but thats complete Bxxxocks. Every city has its undesireables but there are far worse places that Pattaya. You should try getting out more

Perhaps so, but the relevant word in all that is "TRAINED". For someone like myself, old, weak and unfit, all this talk of standing up against a number of young, fit, out of control thugs is laughable.

As I lie in my hospital bed, damaged and in pain, should I comfort myself with the thought that I "stood up for myself"?

If you don't stand up for yourself the odds are you'll still get a kicking whether you stand up for yourself or not . So lying in your hospital bed yes you should take some comfort in knowing that you've stood up for yourself and also that the people you stood up against just might think twice before picking on someone else.

I myself (this is a personal point and don't expect everyone to agree) would be ashamed to say that I let someone assualt/abuse or bully me and that I did nothing about it. I completely accept that it is scary being comfronted by more/bigger/younger people in an agressive situation but cowering to them doesn't make it any easier or better, in fact it would probably make it worse.

I think the OP was right. Why should we look at the floor and walk the other way when some young txxts are acting up? Maybe thats the problem now days, too many people allow these thugs to get away with it all the time, these idiots think you'll back down and will continue to do it again and again.

I have never backed down from these people and never would they are bullies and when they've had a few beers and in a group they think they can take on the world. I see this behaviour all the time in England, even when I walk to our local shop in an evening its only 300 yards away and there's always a gang of youths hanging around outside drinking and smoking cannabis and just causing a nuisance, I see people walking to that shop, usually older folk who get close to the store and turn round and walk away because they are scared to approach them, they know that they are going to get agro from the youths, whether thats verbal or physical. They only ever had a go at me once, I stood my ground, perhaps a little OTT looking back now but it worked, they stand aside and let me enter.

One chap posted on here and recommended carrying pepper spray, I quite agree a brilliant idea, we can't use it in PC britain, it results in a section 5 firearms offence unfortunately, I would carry it in Thailand thats a certainty. You have a right to go where you please with out fear from arseh@les I just think everyone should stand up for themselves, putting my head down and walking the other way is not an option.

Just my opinion of course

Pat

i agree totally Patrick, the more people let it slide then the more empowered bullies become

contrary to another politically correct poster earlier in this thread, who thought it was your public duty to do nothing and save these people from themselves by not creating a problem with them

i think exactly opposite, i think its your public duty to stand up and not roll over.

bullies are only bullies because people allow them to be.........

I don't think a middle aged man with his child in tow would stand much of a chance against 3 drunken oafs. If they are brazen enough to call him a paedophile in public it's quite likely they would be brazen enough to also kick the sh!t out of him. In London not far from where I live a bunch of teenage thugs kicked an elderly chap to death simply for the fun of it.

He did the right thing by walking away. Bullies are also often bullies because they know they are capable of being able to bully their chosen victim.

Bullies are bullies because people allow them to be. The other passenger would of helped and quite possibly the driver. A drunk against a sober man I'd bet on the sober man, however that's irrelevant. You have a right to stand up for yourself, you have a right to live without fear. If we allow this behaviour to happen it will happen more and more. If I were the passenger I would help out goes without saying.

Bullies are bullies because people allow them to be. The other passenger would of helped and quite possibly the driver. A drunk against a sober man I'd bet on the sober man, however that's irrelevant. You have a right to stand up for yourself, you have a right to live without fear. If we allow this behaviour to happen it will happen more and more. If I were the passenger I would help out goes without saying.

Sorry, but do you not see the news these days? People are beaten up while bystanders make vdos to post on Utube! The days of bystanders assisting are gone.

Back in London, if one does, the likelihood is that YOU will be prosecuted for hurting the THUGS. I don't blame anyone for not getting involved now.

If you are ever in a serious confrontation where your life is in danger, the aforementioned areas are the easiest, and most effective targets. Before coming to LOS I spent time with a a fighting expert,and friend of the family,who trained his son all the way to to a world championship belt. He recommended these targets. He did not recommend boxing,or martial arts, because we were talking about survival! Remember we are discussing a man being threatened by 3 louts, and a nutty Thai.

Also, scream like a mad man when you strike. On the other hand, one could tell their attackers that the Thiavisa members strongly disapprove of their behavior. :lol:

I should have mentioned that the said actions are only if you have no other reasonable option, and try to defuse the situation, but bullies prey on the fearful!

take the tip of your thumb and stick it into the notch in your throat above the collar bone. You will feel what the self defense experts are talking about. That, and more devastating techniques render the aggressors incapable of recovering quickly.

I was in fact trained in self defence, but never had occasion to use it, as I have always assessed the situation and if doubtful I absent myself. I can't say that I was always happy to take that action, but it worked, as I never had a fight in my life.

Now, there is NO WAY I could defend myself, or another, due to poor health, so sorry, but I won't be fronting up to muliple thugs, regardless of the circumstances.

Sorry, but do you not see the news these days? People are beaten up while bystanders make vdos to post on Utube! The days of bystanders assisting are gone.

Back in London, if one does, the likelihood is that YOU will be prosecuted for hurting the THUGS. I don't blame anyone for not getting involved now.

The really sad thing is your completely right, the days when bystanders assisting are gone. Not everyone mind, I would always assist someone in need. I think part of the problem in the uk is that people are afraid to step in for fear of prosecution. We hear it on the news all the time, silly things such as a homeowner tackles someone who broke in only to be arrested for assaulting the burgler. There was another case recently where a burgler entered a house, tripped on a carpet and tried to sue the owner! The Utude videos are shocking they have a name for it "Owned" there was a recent craze going round called happy slapping, where idiots approach random people and attack them whilst their friends video it so it can be uploaded to the net.

All the PC BS over here is daft and I think it makes the arsexxxxs worse. ITs the PC BS that scares people off from standing up for themselves.

The really sad thing is your completely right, the days when bystanders assisting are gone. Not everyone mind, I would always assist someone in need. I think part of the problem in the uk is that people are afraid to step in for fear of prosecution. We hear it on the news all the time, silly things such as a homeowner tackles someone who broke in only to be arrested for assaulting the burgler. There was another case recently where a burgler entered a house, tripped on a carpet and tried to sue the owner! The Utude videos are shocking they have a name for it "Owned" there was a recent craze going round called happy slapping, where idiots approach random people and attack them whilst their friends video it so it can be uploaded to the net.

All the PC BS over here is daft and I think it makes the arsexxxxs worse. ITs the PC BS that scares people off from standing up for themselves.

Once on a London train, a lout stole a girl's mobile, and I wrestled the scumbag, but he managed to escape ( with the phone ). No one, not even the girl, came to help me.

I did it without thinking, but had I done so, I probably wouldn't have. Once the train reached terminus, I legged it, as was worried the thug would report me for some minor injury, and I'd be banged up by the plod. What a world, where one has to worry for having done the right thing!