Visa Info Please

62 yr old from UK. A question which is probably asked frequently, although I can't find an answer to it on the forum.I entered Thailand on 25th December with a single-entry O visa, obtained from Hull, and was granted entry until March 24th. However, I now need to make an unexpected trip to Europe (not including UK), of about one week's duration. Presumably I will only be granted a 30 day stay when I return to Thailand. Is there any way I can extend this up to my original planned departure date of 20th March? Border run maybe? It will not be possible for me to acquire another visa while I am in Europe.

Do you want to stay permanently in Thailand or not?

If you are here only for a long holiday, what you can do is get a re-entry permit at an immigration office. A re-entry permit costs 1,000 baht and you will need to fill out a form and give a passport size photo. Maybe also a copy of your arrival card and passport.

When you return you fill in the number of your re-entry permit and immigration will stamp you in until March 24th.

Note that you can apply for a free tourist visa in Hull by mail. This would give you 60 days when you return to Thailand.

If you are planning to stay long time you can apply for a one year extension of stay right now, together with a r-entry permit, if you can show 800,000 in a bank account in Thailand, an income of 65,000 a month with a letter from your embassy or a combination of money in the bank and yearly income totaling 800,000.

Do you want to stay permanently in Thailand or not?

If you are here only for a long holiday, what you can do is get a re-entry permit at an immigration office. A re-entry permit costs 1,000 baht and you will need to fill out a form and give a passport size photo. Maybe also a copy of your arrival card and passport.

When you return you fill in the number of your re-entry permit and immigration will stamp you in until March 24th.

Note that you can apply for a free tourist visa in Hull by mail. This would give you 60 days when you return to Thailand.

If you are planning to stay long time you can apply for a one year extension of stay right now, together with a r-entry permit, if you can show 800,000 in a bank account in Thailand, an income of 65,000 a month with a letter from your embassy or a combination of money in the bank and yearly income totaling 800,000.

New to this site, not sure my reply's going to work!

Mario2008, many thanks for your reply. No, I don't intend staying in Thailand permanently. For the past four years I've come here to escape the worst of the UK winters.

My best bet would appear to be obtaining a 60-day tourist visa by mail from Hull, but I'm not going to be going to the UK, so that could be a problem as they'd presumably want my passport.

No bank account in Thailand, so the long-stay option is out.

I'm in Pattaya, where there's an immigration office, so the re-entry permit seems the way to go, although I'd prefer an extension beyond the 24th March.

Thanks again Mario2008

Many other Thai consulates will offer the same service as Hull in your situation. No need to apply in the UK.

Most do offer mail service also, but check the time it will take to get the passport returned.

Many thanks to those who replied. I now understand the options available to me.

Regards to all !

Cliff