Use Of Narcotics In Thailand Worrying Ministry Of Health

webfact

Drug situation concerning

BANGKOK, 31 January 2011 (NNT) – The narcotic drug situation in Thailand is found to be worrying since the age of people getting involved with narcotic drugs is found to be younger, according to the Ministry of Public Health.

As elaborated by Deputy Public Health Minister Dr Phansiri Kullanartsiri, there were 45,369 patients receiving mental treatment at hospitals of the Mental Health Department nationwide in 2010; however, 5.79% of them, or 2,626 patients, had suffered from mental health after excessive drug abuse. In the latter group, 1,996 were male and 630 female.

The top narcotic drug used is amphetamine, and the tendency is rising. It is also found that drug abusers now mix different kinds of drugs together such as amphetamine and marijuana. More teens are found using ‘ice’ stimulant, a crystal form of methamphetamine but more damaging to the body and brain.

Another worrying issue is the decreasing age of people engaging themselves with narcotic drugs. Earlier, drug abuse could be found in people aged between 15 and 24; however, the latest report suggested that their age reduced to as low as 11.

As a result, Dr Phansiri cautioned people not to turn to narcotic drugs when they have problems and stress because they are not helpful and lead to addiction. She suggested they opt for other more useful and creative solutions.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-01-31 footer_n.gif

Has the minister just come out of a long coma ?.......Kids.aged as low as 11, I would suggest force feed the drugs to the parents. If they are not already addicted themselves. Its discusting when top health people are in denial-they already know most of the merchants, most are high level / businenss/ with the bib involved--get these and the small time handlers will find it difficult to obtain stuff. BUT I realise its not as easy as I am suggesting. Most people will shout it's education. Kids dont want to know-they don't like being told what to do. So its out of school 3 on a bike -no hat-fags lit up-and off to find a quiet spot to enjoy ..

Edited by ginjag

why should Thailand be any different to any other country in the world?!

Every country has the same problem with people taking drugs.

Are there any adverts running on Thai TV educating kids what harm drugs can do? or there is a bravado by BIB that they caught some dealers(who mind you for half of the time, dealers that is do not even look worried)?

The top narcotic drug used is amphetamine

What an idiotic statement; narcotics are not amphetamines :blink:

Perhaps if these people knew something about drugs and treatment there wouldn't be such a problem

You have hit the proverbial nail on the head KT.

And the saddest thing is that it's not only Thailand - pretty much universally, the people who are making and enforcing all these laws really haven't got a clue. Not even an inkling.

They know nothing about the drugs they are criminalising people for; they know nothing about the effects of those drugs, long or short-term; they know nothing about dealing with addiction; and finally, and most crucially, they know nothing about human nature.

And while these people all run around feeling smug and important, hundreds of thousands of other people around the world are suffering the consequences of their misguided zeal.

I really do despair...

The top narcotic drug used is amphetamine

What an idiotic statement; narcotics are not amphetamines

Perhaps if these people knew something about drugs and treatment there wouldn't be such a problem

I palmed my face at that one as well. I agree you hit the nail on the head. It's just that "these people" = 70% of electorate, and 95% of 'experts' / legislators.

You have hit the proverbial nail on the head KT.

And the saddest thing is that it's not only Thailand - pretty much universally, the people who are making and enforcing all these laws really haven't got a clue. Not even an inkling.

They know nothing about the drugs they are criminalising people for; they know nothing about the effects of those drugs, long or short-term; they know nothing about dealing with addiction; and finally, and most crucially, they know nothing about human nature.

And while these people all run around feeling smug and important, hundreds of thousands of other people around the world are suffering the consequences of their misguided zeal.

I really do despair...

You hit that nail even harder and fairly cracked open the nail's skull. It's just that it's millions suffering the consequences of the fears of the ignorant, and their inevitable zealous hatred.

"5.79% of them, or 2,626 patients, had suffered from mental health"

The last thing we want is for people to have "mental health". I take it that mental illness would be the desired goal.

"Sanity in a world of insanity is insane"

Dyslexia aside, I would be fascinated to discover just how - exactly - the 'researchers' managed to pinpoint the 'narcotic' use (really, if you're using amphetamines to sleep, it's not 5.79% who have mental illness - it's really closer to 100%) as the variable which ostensibly caused the mental health issues.

Wouldn't the 'researchers' require a great deal of information which isn't available, before they could make such a provably ridiculous assertion? Namely, whether or not the subjects had mental health issues prior to their 'narcotic' abuse? And surely no other possible variables could have caused the mental health issues. They all used the 'narcotic' amphetamine exclusively, did they? No alcohol? No other illicit substances (paint-thinner, Draino, bleach, etc = 'narcotics' like 'amphetamine', when you refuse to regulate and hand over the entire industry to criminals)? No medication whatsoever? Cause there's things like contraindications and stuff.

The world is full of idiots. Which would be okay, if the idiots didn't kill and incarcerate others for disagreeing with them or - gasp - simply ignoring them (on account of the idiots' idiocy).

If the Ministry genuinely wished to do something that would improve the nation's long term health, they would issue (and enforce) guidelines banning the reckless overprescribing of antibiotics.

Buckets of antibiotics are handed out like sweets to anyone who has any cold symptoms. Not only are they ineffective against normal viral infections, they are also storing up long term problems with resistance. Patients usually do not bother to finish the course once symptoms have eased.

This might even be an achievable target.

If the Ministry genuinely wished to do something that would improve the nation's long term health, they would issue (and enforce) guidelines banning the reckless overprescribing of antibiotics.

Buckets of antibiotics are handed out like sweets to anyone who has any cold symptoms. Not only are they ineffective against normal viral infections, they are also storing up long term problems with resistance. Patients usually do not bother to finish the course once symptoms have eased.

Common, who does that? LOL

Visit any Thai clinic or even hospital with just a flue and you always come out with 6-8 different tablets

1 for the headache((irrespective if patient has a one or not)

1 for the nose(irrespective if patient has a blocked or running nose or not)

1 for the throat(irrespective if patient has a sore throat or not)

1 for the high fever

REALLY Unsure what the other 2-4 are for.

Sorry to go mildly off-tangent here, but it's something I've always wondered about. I obviously know that the over-prescribing of antibiotics as well as the high levels we ingest whenever we eat KFC et al are creating resistance, and bacteria fights back etc.

It's the full course v building up resistance issue I've never got my head around. I've been given courses of 3 weeks worth of antibiotics and told to finish the complete course to guarantee no relapse. But after 4 days I'm better (tonsillitis or w/e) and I've never relapsed until months later. I'm supposed to smash through the 17 days worth of antibiotics anyway? How does that make sense, in terms of building up resistance? I've asked doctors this and gotten an answer in the form of a blank stare.

------------

But yes, I agree that there are far more worthy pursuits for any legitimate politician to pursue in regards to health.

One such worthy pursuit would be regulating the crap out of narcotics and amphetamines and meth-amphetamines. I am ANTI-drugs. Because I am ANTI-drugs, I support heavy regulation rather than....zero regulation (aka Prohibition).

It's just that "these people" = 95% of 'experts' / legislators.

If you think I was being sensationalist or melodramatic, I assure you I was not. Behold, the conclusions of the Committee on Ways and Means of the House of Representatives of the Congress of the United States of America (84th Congress, 1956). Before you laugh, you might want to assess the current legislation. Put a gun to my head and I could not tell you whether or not the US Congress of 2011 is more intelligent...than their predecessors 55 years ago in 1956. Thai legislators and health officials who are not corrupt and actually care about addressing the drug problem might learn a thing or two. That goddarn annoying History. It's just so goddarn...repetitive.

https://www.unodc.or..._3_page004.html

With respect to amphetamines' date=' the sub-committee found that medical experts and enforcement officials are in general agreement that [b']amphetamines are not addictive[/b]. (lol) However, it was also generally agreed that amphetamines are equally as subject to abuse as are barbiturates and that their improper use results in anti-social behaviour to the detriment of society. .

Barbiturates and amphetamines, like most narcotics, have a proper and valuable place in certain medical treatment. At the same time barbiturates and amphetamines are also like narcotics in that, owing to the very properties which make them not only useful but essential to the medical profession, they are subject to abuse by emotionally unstable persons. It is not their use which concerns the sub-committee; it is their misuse. These drugs are at one and the same time a blessing and an evil. When used properly under medical direction, they are effective in the alleviation of illness and suffering. When used in strict conformity with medical prescription and not for sensual gratification, barbiturates and amphetamines represent an outstanding pharmaceutical advancement. (omg! Are you suggesting that we regulate them so that they can be used properly under medical supervision?) The therapeutic administration of these drugs produces results that are beneficial with respect to many human maladies. A patient may use them with confidence within the limits prescribed by his attending physician. When misused, barbiturates and amphetamines, like narcotics, become a social and legal problem which is of grave public concern.

The details of the sub-committee's recommendations and the reasons for them are set forth in subsequent parts of this report.

BASIC PROBLEMS COMMON TO NARCOTICS, BARBITURATES, AND AMPHETAMINES

There is an interrelation between addiction to narcotics and the abuse of barbiturates and amphetamines. All persons abusing and misusing any one or a combination of these drugs, with few exceptions, are not normal persons in that they are suffering from some basic psychological or mental disorder. (Using under medical supervision = "outstanding pharmaceutical advancement".....without medical supervision = "abuse / misuse by psychological & mental disorders"....I cannot see how we have any option but Prohibition?) This means that efforts at prevention and rehabilitation and treatment of these persons must proceed basically along the same lines in each case. The problems of enforcement and legislation are similar in the case of each of these drugs to the extent of the type of individuals involved. The social problems involved are basically the same. Generally speaking, there is a lack of public awareness as to the seriousness of abuse of these drugs. There is a serious lack of statistics on the abuse of barbiturates and amphetamines. This statistical lack stems from the fact that these drugs are of relatively recent development and their distribution and use have not been subject to the rigid controls applicable to narcotics. In the case of narcotics, statistics are more reliable. However, estimates of the number of narcotic addicts vary considerably. (I was unaware that reliable statistics could "vary considerably"?)

NARCOTICS

Penalties

Effective control of the vicious narcotic traffic requires not only vigorous enforcement but also certainty of punishment. Conclusive evidence was presented during the sub-committee's investigation that the imposition of heavier penalties was the strongest deterrent to narcotic addiction and narcotic traffic. In those areas of the country where we found leniency in sentencing the prevailing practice, drug addiction and narcotic traffic without exception are on the increase. Also without exception, wherever heavier penalties are imposed by the courts, narcotic traffic and addiction are at a virtual minimum or non-existent. (....I don't have the words.)

We have adduced substantial evidence that because of the severe penalties on repeating offenders and the fact that suspension and probation are not available in the case of an individual with a record of prior narcotics convictions there has been an increase in first offender traffickers. Repeating offenders subject to the heavier mandatory penalties under the Boggs law have moved into the background and recruited young hoodlums as peddlers in the narcotic traffic. These recruits are subject to the minimum mandatory sentence of two years with the possibility of suspension or probation. At the present time, 80% of the violators of the narcotics laws apprehended and convicted are first offenders under the narcotics laws. The majority of these individuals have prior records of crime. However, because they have no prior conviction for violations of the narcotics laws, under the Boggs law they are considered as fast offenders. With the possibility of receiving probation or a suspended sentence, these unscrupulous individuals are willing to risk apprehension for the fantastic profits derived from this type of crime. The mark-up in heroin sold to addicts in this country runs up to 10,000% over its cost at the source.

Unless immediate action is taken to prohibit probation or suspension of sentence, it is the sub-committee's considered opinion that the first-offender peddler problem will become progressively worse and eventually lead to the large-scale recruiting of our youth by the upper echelon of traffickers. The penalties on peddlers with or without a record of prior convictions under our narcotics law must be made sufficiently severe to make the profits from this insidious commerce an inadequate inducement to assume the risks involved. (A Thai mule recently smuggled 1200 ecstasy tablets into a country that kills people for doing that. She did it for $650. What do we do...when killing people for whom DEATH v $650 is not a deterrent? Can we kill them again?)

The narcotic traffic has been aptly described as "murder on the instalment plan". The peddler or trafficker who is a killer on the "instalment plan" of the weaker persons in our society, including our youth, should be dealt with severely or he will continue to encourage and exploit for financial gain the demands of a wretched human weakness. (Learn from the 1956 US Congress, Thailand. DEAL WITH THEM SEVERELY! Thaksin had the right idea!! There are - NO - drugs in Thailand now.)

Some testimony was received by the sub-committee to the effect that in determining the degree of punishment a distinction should be made between the non-addict trafficker and the addict trafficker with the latter group being dealt with less severely. It is the view of the sub-committee that the addict trafficker is just as vicious a person as the non-addict trafficker, that his deeds are made no less heinous by virtue of his addiction, and any attempt to place such individuals in a separate category with a view to dealing less severely with them would only serve to encourage the addict trafficker to the detriment of society. (...I don't have the words.)

Maximum sentences should be increased to twenty years and forty years respectively, for first offences and for second and subsequent offences in the case of the narcotics peddler.

A further recommendation of the sub-committee is that probation and suspension of sentence be prohibited for all first offender traffickers. (Thank Christ the 1956 Congress weren't a bunch of pansy, gutless, hippie liberals. Imagine where we would be now if they hadn't had the stones to EFFECTIVELY deal with the drug problem...get RUTHLESS, Thailand! It's your only hope!!)

The sub-committee realizes that it is impossible through legislation to instil character where human weakness exists. However, it is believed to be incumbent upon the Congress and the state legislatures to see to it that this reprehensible preying upon human weaknesses is most severely punished.

Education

The sub-committee is convinced that the public generally does not fully understand the viciousness of drug addiction nor the seriousness of the proportions of this addiction. Recommendations were presented during the public hearings that an educational programme be instituted in the schools to make students aware of the evils of narcotics. However, careful consideration by the sub-committee of the efficacy of such an educational programme has led to the conclusion that it would tend to arouse undue curiosity on the part of the impressionable youth of our nation unless undertaken with extreme caution. Many young persons, once their curiosity is aroused, may ignore the warnings and experiment upon themselves with disastrous consequences.

The sub-committee is therefore opposed to direct routine education of our youth (you could not make this shit up) and we are supported in our views by the United Nations Commission on Narcotic Drugs and by Narcotics Commissioner Harry J. Anslinger, who are against any such educational programme. It is urged that medical groups and others who are in positions of responsibility dealing with drug addiction make every effort to bring to public light the viciousness of this addiction. An aroused and informed public, in this case as in all other problems of national concern, is the major factor in effectively dealing with the problem. (Thailand Lesson to Learn #3949: You must arouse and inform the public, but not the youth. That could very well arouse and inform them.)

Recommendations

Although substantial progress has been made in controlling the illicit narcotics traffic in the United States, drug addiction remains one of our most serious social problems. To combat this situation effectively, we must have a programme based on vigorous enforcement, strengthened legislation, severe penalties, compulsory hospitalization, and improved rehabilitation. (Hallelujah! The 1956 Congress were heroic! BUT WHY ARE WE STILL TALKING ABOUT THIS FIFTY-FIVE YEARS LATER WHEN THEY'RE ALL DEAD?)

With these objectives in mind, the sub-committee makes the following recommendations to the Committee on Ways and Means for a more effective control of the vicious illicit narcotic traffic.

Penalties for violations of the narcotics laws should be mandatory in all States.

The minimum and maximum penalties should be increased for all violations of the narcotics laws, both federal and state, with parole eliminated.

Federal narcotic agents should be given statutory authority to carry firearms, execute and serve arrest warrants, and make arrests without warrants for narcotics law violations. (No problem here, that I can see?? ...omg!!!!!!!!!?)

All States should be urged to adopt an addict law similar to the one now in operation in New Jersey and to provide heavier mandatory type penalties for all violations of the narcotics laws. (lol addicts, suck it! Your DNA means you have no control, but we'll penalise you for that muahahah)

Consideration should be given to means for achieving increased public awareness of the evils of the illicit traffic in narcotics by the federal, state, and local governments. Caution should be used to see that any programme is devoid of sensationalism and over-dramatization. (lol)

The only thing we learn from history is that Cleopatra was easy.

50345549.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=E41C9FE5C4AA0A14A71EAA0AC997238B90312D0C930C693224BD79386DC7148EB01E70F2B3269972

55 years later....?

8,000,000 Americans in the Land of the Free (1 in 32 adults) are being processed by the US Correctional System.

Oh, and apparently amphetamines induce sleep, and are narcotic. Who knew? Apparently the 1956 Congress - 20 year minimum mandatory without parole for first-time peddlers. Awesome!

Don't make the same mistakes Thailand. The 1956 Congress were too soft.

DEATH PENALTY FOR ALL FIRST-TIME USERS!

POLICE POWERS TO SEARCH WITHOUT WARRANTS!

Because that's the only way to fix the problem.