Iphones Around Town

jayinoz

I am finding many suspicious iphones around town.... mostly the 32Gb 3GS phones.

Either in black or white and cost only approx 2500-3500bt.

Price seems to good to be true- what do others think. Any good or not? 2nd hand iphone 3GS 32Gb seem to sell for approx. 9000bt in general.

They come with chargers and Blue tooth head set. Seems many are available- large influx of them available now.

Yet the prices quoted make me very SUS.... less than half standard price.

How can you tell if it states iPhone 3GS all over unit and has all the software on it. Simply because the price seems too good to be true?

Anyone been caught out and if so... any issues loading on the software and with the functionality?

I guess the Apple website can confirm via a serial number i guess. Any other suggestions?

Pretty sure they the ones being touted for a few bucks in Mai Sai (made in Cina or Burma copies I gather), from what i have seen and heard I am guessing copies..

Cheers Jay

Turn it on and you will instantly see what it is.. The copies don't look like an iPhone past the first menu page, and often don't have a capacitive touch screen.

These ones have the same touch screens and exactually same software installed. Cannot tell the difference from what i can see. The charger is a no name thus suspicious.

Alongside a mate's iphone I can see no difference in software, yet some differences on the casing and charger.

As i remember the BKK ones got pulled off the shelves and the only difference was no name or Nokia chargers. Some are made well, yet obviously not to the quality of Apple.

The software can install any other iphone software. I would guess that iphones have become an essential for many of us, only due to the software and developers building iphone versions of webstes and applications by the 100s of 1000s.

Whilst the iphone itself is not an essential for me, having banking, etc software that is only developed for iphone is essential. Thus the need.

Cheers Jay

... snip ... Whilst the iphone itself is not an essential for me, having banking, etc software that is only developed for iphone is essential. Thus the need.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun JayInOz,

Yes, many clones abound, we notice. If the critical factor for you is access to on-line services, then ask the dealer to show you the one you are going to buy accessing the web ? Also consider warranty and repair issues if buying a clone (as in: none ? ... however, since we don't own an Apple iPhone: we don't know what Apple offers in Thailand in the way of service).

best, ~o:37;

Also, and this may sound obvious: Ask the vendor. Typically they will readily inform you what it is they're selling. Just because something is not what it initially appears to be does not mean that it is some sort of scam. This applies to ladyboys too: another case of something that sends some people in to hyper-phobia, when all they need to do is ask.

While discussing phones is it possssible for a fellow memberwho is in Thailand to find out some imformation for me??

I have a Galaxy S phone bought here in Australia and it`s a great phone apart from the fact it can`t send thai text. Would anybody be willing to find out for me what software the Galaxy S is using in Thailand and wether or not the option is there to switch from English or Thai language. I have looked at the Thai website for Samsung but there is no way to contact them except by phone and my thai speaking is very limted..

Please DO NOT discuss or promote products that are copies. It breaks forum rules :annoyed:

Maxim with this thread is "If it sounds to good to be true then it probably is"

If you can't afford new, then save or go without.

No way I would pay around 25,000 B for a phone that you can't insure against loss or theft.

Stick with the 1,500B Nokia,(I can just about bear the loss) unless you are a wealthy businessman or man-about-town sort of guy that absolutley must keep in touch with world events, share prices and your internet and bank accounts, then you MUST have one :D

But as a retiree, I am happy to ignorant of world events until I am back home sitting at this computer.

I think the purpose of this topic is how to recognize and avoid fakes..

Correct. And I for one would like to know if their are ways to know beyond the "If the price is too good to be true, then it probably is a fake" method of determining value because sometimes great bargains are just that - great bargains.

If the Iphone is new and its bellow 20 K Baht then its a fake

If its a secondhand bellow 10K baht its a fake

Man they are pricey there

Here in the US I got my wife the Iphone 4-- 32GB new thru AT&T was $199

The Iphone 3G is $49.99

But of course you are locked into the 2 year plan :rolleyes:

The thing I wondered about Iphones in LOS is when you buy one does it come with a sim?

Because Iphone sim cards are not the normal cards...They are tiny

Edited by flying

If the Iphone is new and its bellow 20 K Baht then its a fake

If its a secondhand bellow 10K baht its a fake

Man they are pricey there

Here in the US I got my wife the Iphone 4-- 32GB new thru AT&T was $199

The Iphone 3G is $49.99

But of course you are locked into the 2 year plan :rolleyes:

The thing I wondered about Iphones in LOS is when you buy one does it come with a sim?

Because Iphone sim cards are not the normal cards...They are tiny

If you get a legit iPhone in LOS, they are factory unlocked and you can use your current AIS, DTAC or True or whatever sim. The iPhone 4 uses the smaller sim card, and they are (IINM) available from the various phone service companies.

Monthly payment plans for iPhone are also available. I'm not familiar with plan prices, best to check their websites or better yet, in person.

I've got a genuine 3Gs I don't use anymore and when looking around at prices I couldn't find anywhere selling them for under 10,000 Baht, even the poor condition ones.

I'm on blackberry now which I find is better for email but that's about it.

You could always bring an iPhone from abroad and just unlock it, that's what I did.

It is quite regular to see a 2nd hand 16Gb 3GS pop up for sale in a Church newsletter or Chiangmai Mail, etc for under 8K bt.

Yet except for the non name chargers, I still cannot tell if these iphones are the real deal for under 4-5K bt. Apart from price, if they were not in a market then I probably would believe the excuse of the charger was lost and replaced with a no name.

Also if the price was 6-7K bt then I probably would have believed and purchased. When you are talking under half price for a good condition iPhone 3GS 32Gb then something is UP- IMO. The sellers say they are the real deal.... a couple of stores near Worarot Market at the end of Thae pae Road, also seen a stall near Night Market selling for 5000 bt 3GS 32Gb.

Either they are not the real deal or an amazing bargain.

Was hoping for better tips than 'if the price is too good it generally is'... it is possible they are simply trying to offload fast. As the iPhone 3 series is no longer popular and old technology. Yet iPhone 3GS holders still think they can get over 10K bt naturally.

In Aussie I can pick up a 2nd hand iPhone 16Gb 3GS for $200 unlocked in the recyclers deal.... same in UK they are just over 100 pounds. So it is not impossible to be selling in Thailand for 5000 bt.

One phone I was about to purchase for 5k bt--- 3GS 32Gb could not maintain battery life for more than 15 minutes, when checking out thoroughly. I was lucky to pick up on it and play with it for more than 15 min... they offerred a 3 month warrantee- yet i do not take warantees to heart, anywhere not just in thailand. The seller was probably saying 'Dam it' when i played around with it to test out all the functions for over 15 min.

So did not take the chance, as it maybe an issue with internal phone sucking up power as opposed to battery. As they offerred new battery, yet no time to charge and what can you do- sit there for hours and see how long the new battery lasts.

Anyway 2nd hand is a big risk... especially when I have heard that the internal components are removed and replaced with fakes. Difficult for a laymen to spot.

I have found 2nd hand warrantees rarely mean anything- good luck getting your 5000bt back the next day.

Cheers Jay

It is quite regular to see a 2nd hand 16Gb 3GS pop up for sale in a Church newsletter or Chiangmai Mail, etc for under 8K bt.

Yet except for the non name chargers, I still cannot tell if these iphones are the real deal for under 4-5K bt. Apart from price, if they were not in a market then I probably would believe the excuse of the charger was lost and replaced with a no name.

Also if the price was 6-7K bt then I probably would have believed and purchased. When you are talking under half price for a good condition iPhone 3GS 32Gb then something is UP- IMO. The sellers say they are the real deal.... a couple of stores near Worarot Market at the end of Thae pae Road, also seen a stall near Night Market selling for 5000 bt 3GS 32Gb.

Either they are not the real deal or an amazing bargain.

Was hoping for better tips than 'if the price is too good it generally is'... it is possible they are simply trying to offload fast. As the iPhone 3 series is no longer popular and old technology. Yet iPhone 3GS holders still think they can get over 10K bt naturally.

In Aussie I can pick up a 2nd hand iPhone 16Gb 3GS for $200 unlocked in the recyclers deal.... same in UK they are just over 100 pounds. So it is not impossible to be selling in Thailand for 5000 bt.

One phone I was about to purchase for 5k bt--- 3GS 32Gb could not maintain battery life for more than 15 minutes, when checking out thoroughly. I was lucky to pick up on it and play with it for more than 15 min... they offerred a 3 month warrantee- yet i do not take warantees to heart, anywhere not just in thailand. The seller was probably saying 'Dam it' when i played around with it to test out all the functions for over 15 min.

So did not take the chance, as it maybe an issue with internal phone sucking up power as opposed to battery. As they offerred new battery, yet no time to charge and what can you do- sit there for hours and see how long the new battery lasts.

Anyway 2nd hand is a big risk... especially when I have heard that the internal components are removed and replaced with fakes. Difficult for a laymen to spot.

I have found 2nd hand warrantees rarely mean anything- good luck getting your 5000bt back the next day.

Cheers Jay

Thanks for the info and sharing your experiences. More food for thought.

The blantant fakes from Burma or China or wherever are everywhere also. I remember a large bust in Aussie when they selling for $500 each, when the iPhones were over a $1000. On the news it stated they were sent from China for $22 each, better margins than coke- lol. Only diffference was they were supplied with Nokia chargers. You would think if they got the iPhone looking perfect on the surface and compatible with the software then they could take the time to copy a Charger. Plus a large bust in BKK produced a similar result- yet they being sold for 2.5K bt. I think many have travelled to CMai now- I seen them all over the place.

Anyway this is the only way I can tell the difference- for whatever reason they cannot supply a iPhone Apple charger. The rest looks exactually the same. Look and feel and compatibility all the same. They cannot be bothered with the 'Charger'.

Cheers jay

The blantant fakes from Burma or China or wherever are everywhere also. I remember a large bust in Aussie when they selling for $500 each, when the iPhones were over a $1000. On the news it stated they were sent from China for $22 each, better margins than coke- lol. Only diffference was they were supplied with Nokia chargers. You would think if they got the iPhone looking perfect on the surface and compatible with the software then they could take the time to copy a Charger. Plus a large bust in BKK produced a similar result- yet they being sold for 2.5K bt. I think many have travelled to CMai now- I seen them all over the place.

Anyway this is the only way I can tell the difference- for whatever reason they cannot supply a iPhone Apple charger. The rest looks exactually the same. Look and feel and compatibility all the same. They cannot be bothered with the 'Charger'.

Cheers jay

No one had issues with the iPhones or supposed iPhone that have swept through CMai currently for a low low price. Anyway having issues installing any applications. What the issue with iPhone 4 apart from price, some say serious security issues. Anyway would not be paying over 10k bt for any phone, even though needed for day trading, banking, etc... and better to be out and about than stuck at home as current.

I think I only need the iPhone as brokers and banks have the iPhone applications.... very concerned about security. Yet not paying for a 4 series anyway.

Think I will give the 4500bt Iphone 3GS a shot and hope it is not a fake. I cannot spot it. Do not trust the ones quoted at 2900bt- too low to be original and in OK condition. Even new ones for 3500bt- not the real deal i gather.

I guess no one here had a real look around or needs one. Otherwise all can afford to pay 20K bt ++ for the latest and greatest. A new 3GS 32Gb for 3500bt with no name charger is obviously no original i gather. The 4500bt 2nd hand with a few scratches and case broken seems all good- they will change the case. Already 100 odd application on the unit. Good deal.

Cheers Jay