Electric Rates Hike In Thailand Likely In May

webfact

Condo juristic person either pays the total or they split it across every unit. I do not know the exact mechanics

Once again, from what i understood, all the tempering is done on the main line before it hits condo generator. Why is it so hard to understand?

There is a main line that would run to condo generator, so if someone jumps on to that line before it hits generator, total delivered is what is "consumed" by the generator. NO?

What are these "generators" you keep going on about ?....condo's would only have generators as an emergency back up.

I assume you are taking about the distribution board or possibly a transformer, the main line coming may in fact be a 3 phase supply, and somebody messing with that " main line" supply to try and take 220V off to run a cono would be very stupid and/or very dead, even if they suceeded their house hold appliances wouldnt like it....:rolleyes:

Thats the one the trasformer.

I am not the one doing the messing and matter in question is NOT if its stupid or not, but this is what some do.

Several of the posters you are arguing with are involved in the industrial construction business in Thailand and are very familiar with power generation and distribution in Thailand and western countries (where they started out in the business). (Soutpee probably does know what a steam turbine costs)

Your posts defending your position continues to be nothing more then repeating urban legends and showing that you really know very little about how electricity arrives at the consumer or the business model that involves. I know for a fact that virtually all street vendors do not steal the electricity from the electric company, they either steal it from somebody below their meter or in most cases have made a deal with person to pay for it in some way. To attempt to tap into a line before the meter is highly dangerous and in most cases impractical anyways. Your example of stealing before the condo transformers is actually impossible, as what they would get is a voltage that is unusable to them. You are basing your posts on seeing something you do understand how it works and coming up with incorrect conclusion on what is actually happening.

The EGAT employees are way above the minimum wage and I am unsure what your point is in bringing that up time and again. Also worth noting that the Metropolitan Electric Authority has hundreds of bucket trucks with non-conducting fiberglass booms in service all over Bangkok, just like electric companies in the west. They do often use bamboo ladders when they are impractical due to the congestion, but would like to see them use aluminum ones instead?

The minimum wage also does not apply to constructing the power plants or the distribution networks, as many of those people are also skilled labor that makes far above minimum wage, just like in the west. Construction of major projects such as power plants are at best only moderately cheaper then in the west, and that is indeed mainly due to cheaper labor, but that is considerably offset by the higher cost of the imported equipment and transportation cost involved.

There is no doubt the EGAT is far from an efficiently run company. Few large government owned entities are. How much of an impact that inefficiency has on the cost charged to consumers? That would be very hard to quantify, but it highly unlikely it would very much as the end result would be better service, not lower prices.

So, getting back to your statement "electricity prices are too high in Thailand", I am still confused as what you are trying to say. It appears that all you are indeed saying is they are "too high" without any real understanding of the business from a technical or commercial perspective.

TH

Thank you for such an insightful post.

To start with i never claimed to have knowledge of the industry working in the field, i am pretty sure i clearly stated that my experience is managing businesses and all businesses are the same when it comes to management.

what you perhaps wanted to say that SOME people who were DEBATING with me had SOME knowledge of the industry back in their home country but have NO knowledge of Thai industry even though it is the same industry. Only common sense would suggest if they did have knowledge they would be able to post some factual figures in regards to salary's and everything else.

For the 10th time, minimum wage examples were given for the salary's of people in general.

I did clearly state that i was not aware of the wages for Egat employees in Thailand but rest assured their wages do not even come close to Western rates.

Perhaps those who you claim know all so well Thai Industry can post what the salary's are for Egat employees?

I did clearly state that i know for a fact, engineer in Thailand is on 120 000 baht/month and i know for a fact in the West someone in the same position is on 300 000 baht/month plus.

Again common sense would suggest that if Egat employees were on high wage they would have better equipment to protect their own life.

A number of people also clearly stated that the cost of electric in their country is the same as Thailand. One poster clearly stated that the cost in Thailand is same if not more then USA.

For the 11th time, since the minimum wages are 10 times less then in the West having the cost of electric same as in the West is expansive.

I did clearly state that i was not aware of the mechanics of how electric is stolen or messed with, which part of that did you have a problem understanding?

I did clearly state that what i posted was what i understood-right or wrong is irrelevant.

For you to claim it does not happen is simply useless, because i really doubt you know ALL vendors as you stated, not to mention, i REALLY doubt, 1-2 who you may know will tell you that they are stealing electricity.

And that is just common sense.

Now if you are an expert as you claim to be and know Thai industry all so well, why do not you post some useful information such as wages, cost of construction etc etc etc and since you have experience both here and West, you could also post figures in comparison and then let all readers decide if the cost of electric is indeed justified and is a "GOOD" rate.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like comparing apples to oranges.

We farongs pay more for Electricity because we use more. We live in Condo's where the unit price is as much as four times as much as getting the power direct from the company.:(

One month I ran my air con all month my cost was 4,500 Baht I also have two machines that run all night My computer is on all day even when I go out. And the wife watches TV a lot. My Thai mother in law who lives in a house paid 350 Baht.

I thought 4,500 Baht was high and had my meter checked it was OK. Then I remembered the last time I had run the air con for a month back in Canada it was 13,500 baht and I only ran it about 70% of the time.

Looking at last month's bill, I paid $246 for 663kwh which is 37 cents or about 11 baht per unit. Generation is from roughly 80% oil and 20% renewable energy. Renewable energy consists mainly of wind and geothermal.

Because of low population density on this island there are long stretches of transmission lines with no customers which add to power distribution costs.

In the works is a farm and processing plant that will produce biofuel from cellulose fibers. According to the engineers the process will involve microwave technology and will be cost effective. It is hoped this will replace most of the imported oil now used for electrical generation.

Also being explored are other hot spots for geothermal development and the possibility of undersea cables to export any surplus electricity to neighboring islands.

Just one of the high costs of living in "paradise."

Edited by Hawaiian

Off topic bickering posts have been removed.

Discussion to the "Electricity Bill Hike Likely in May

The Electricity Generating Authority says a price increase for electricity is likely, in light of surging oil prices." is on topic to this thread.

Electricity prices in Thailand are high as is, besides greed i do not see a reason for price increase.

I mean just look at all the wiring on the streets, i think we can all agree that the work is done not by best trained or even skilled workers.

90% of the wiring you see on the streets is for telephone lines.

And they should be underground. Fibre optics have been with us for yonks. No more unsightly wires or dishes.