Electric Rates Hike In Thailand Likely In May

webfact

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Electricity prices in Thailand are high as is, besides greed i do not see a reason for price increase.

I mean just look at all the wiring on the streets, i think we can all agree that the work is done not by best trained or even skilled workers.

What is your basis for saying they are high? Compared to what? Other countries? The cost of generation? Cost of transmission? Or are they just high? :rolleyes:

Your second statement is truly startling. What would the "wiring on the streets" have to do with the price?

Might interest you to know that Thailand electricity cost is about middle of the road for a non-subsidizing country. At about 11 US cents per K/hr it is about on par with the US and almost half of what it cost in the UK

TH

There has to always be one in the crowd.

Compared to US, Compared to Australia and even compared to UK.

For starters lets talk about wiring on the streets. A large portion of company's money is wages and for skilled labor. do you call this wiring skilled? and how much do they get paid? what equipment do they use? ladders made out of bamboo sticks.

Company's in the west have skilled electricians, safety regulations, cars, equipment etc etc etc etc, in Thailand they have none of the mentioned(or none that i have seen used) also wages are not even 5th of the Western wages.

So please explain to me how to justify even the current cost of electricity when company pays much much less wages, uses hardly any machinery, does not have any safety regulations(and if it does, it is hardly ever enforced), there is no super for employees, no work cover yet the rates are the same or slightly less then in the Western world.

Also please explain to me how you think rates are good when the salary of a low income earner is 5000-6000 baht per month, compared to 25000-30 000 in the West, so do you still think prices in Thailand are ok and affordable? keep in mind electricity is a necessity not a luxury

Surely you all know ALL the people who work for EGAT get their power for free.... Anyone remember when the govt wanted EGAT to go public and the (very strong) trade union was vehemently opposed to this "absurdity"? Another fine example of the "extraordinary" integrity of this org is a simple factor of the cost of one each 3 phase long-transmission (large concrete)power pole (or sow fy fah) you've seen them (eyesores) and could anyone take a guess at what one of the monsters costs? If you said 130,000 baht, you are correct. YES!!! 130K baht

I asked a specific question --- how many on a crew wherever you are from Kuffki?

Sorry, but the equipment costs more in Thailand.

Can't compare operating costs but to assume they are way lower doesn't mean they are lower at all. Why Thailand needs 6 isn't an issue, labor cost is what you were talking about. If you want Thailand to be the West, you have a long wait ahead of you.

Can't compare Labor -- you won't give us a figure even for a maintenance crew.

You bring up AC's -- why? Not an issue for most households in Thailand.

You fail to note that MANY households in Thailand pay ZERO for their electricity (did you know that?)

Labor is not a huge factor in the cost of KWH--- you state it is. Show me :)

So ---- Please provide proof for your opinions that you state as FACT.

Please learn to read prior to posting. I clearly answered your question. I DO NOT KNOW HOW MANY IN THE CREW and also added that it is irrelevant with explanation why.

According to whom equipment cost more? any proof for that?

You do not need figures for maintenance crew, take anything as a sample.

7/11 employee Thailand gets 6000 per month

7/11 employee in the West gets 60000 per month

So why would maintenance crews be any different? and please try to answer all the questions i put to you. If you unsure what the questions are, just see the question marks.

Here is a solid example for you, an engineer for a power station in Thailand is on 120 000 baht salary( this i know for a fact as my GF brother is one of them.

Salary for engineer in the West is double if not triple that.

About AC, I can only say that you must live in a special area or know only special people. Because not only most Thai's i know do not use it because it runs up a huge bill, but most of the shops i visit or offices(not in the shopping mall or chains) but individually owned, sit there without air and light, until customer comes in.

I would be speculating, but i would say they do this to save on cost of electric.

Labor is a huge cost factor. Why do not you provide proof otherwise????

I am sorry i do not know MANY households in Thailand. The only ones i know who pay 0 , are the one who paid an electrician to tap into someone else's wire and are stealing it.

You are stil lto answer any questions i put to you and since i am all wrong according to you, please provide proof that i am.

I been reading this thread and seems people donot read well or read what they want into things. Kuffki is spot on as far as I see it.All you guys are foreigners who it seems donot understand basics things about Thailand. Like Kuffki stated if electric was cheap would thais be sitting with fans only? Of course not they would have aircon. I understand perfectly what he is stating but others pick it apart just to be mean spirited I feel. Lets me put it another way for all you who disagree with kuffki. If a thai has an electric bill of 300 baht for a month that can be 2 days wages. Now let me ask you how many of you in your memory have paid 2 days wages for a months electric in your home country. Or is that to difficult of math to figure it out.

:)

You are

1) Making assumptions --- Unless of course you are going to give away AC's free the Thais that don't have them now won't have them without a 5% increase.

2) Stating electricity bills of 300 baht would be 2 days wages wouldn't be correct AND it would account for only one person. I know of very few Thais that live alone.

3) Yes, in my country in the summer electricity was more than 2 days wages. In the winter, heating was also more than 2 days wages.

4) Question ---- how many units of electricity does a Thai receive before there is a bill generated at all?

I been reading this thread and seems people donot read well or read what they want into things. Kuffki is spot on as far as I see it.All you guys are foreigners who it seems donot understand basics things about Thailand. Like Kuffki stated if electric was cheap would thais be sitting with fans only? Of course not they would have aircon. I understand perfectly what he is stating but others pick it apart just to be mean spirited I feel. Lets me put it another way for all you who disagree with kuffki. If a thai has an electric bill of 300 baht for a month that can be 2 days wages. Now let me ask you how many of you in your memory have paid 2 days wages for a months electric in your home country. Or is that to difficult of math to figure it out.

You are

1) Making assumptions --- Unless of course you are going to give away AC's free the Thais that don't have them now won't have them without a 5% increase.

2) Stating electricity bills of 300 baht would be 2 days wages wouldn't be correct AND it would account for only one person. I know of very few Thais that live alone.

3) Yes, in my country in the summer electricity was more than 2 days wages. In the winter, heating was also more than 2 days wages.

4) Question ---- how many units of electricity does a Thai receive before there is a bill generated at all?

So to summarize

1. Making harder for Thai to have AC is perfectly normal

2. A large majority of Thai's steal or get their electric for free(must be magic again), so that it justifies and explains the price increase and high prices

And about your country, i can not figure out if you were a very low income earner or lived in an obscenely massive house to have your monthly bill same as your 2 days wages. More then $400 per month bill???

Kuffki---- is you say Labor costs are huge --- you have to show it.

You give anecdotal evidence of what an engineer in a powerplant in Thailand makes. Then you say that in the West it is 100% or 200% more. Which is it twice or three times the salary? How many per shift versus how many engineers per shift in Thailand? --- Basically your argument is a strawman here. No proof AND not internally consistent. Comparing wages (inaccurate) for 7-11's in Thailand and "the West" is also a strawman since it has no bearing on the cost of generating electricity or running a power company. (even an Asst manager doesn't make $2000/60000 baht a month as a 7-11 employee .... source http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Employer=7-Eleven,_Inc./Hourly_Rate

You made the claim that labor was a major cost factor --- scroll up --- it is your job to prove it.

You made statements of FACT ---- you have not supported those with any proof whatsoever. You even added the phrase "It is a FACT" complete with all CAPS ... but can't prove a thing of it --- making it an OPINION

Yes we obviously know different people and live in a different country because I have NEVER been in a shop that was sitting in the dark and then turned on lights and AC when I entered. I have been in MANY that did not have AC.

You are

1) Many thais have never been able to afford aircon electricity has been to expensive

2)are you saying 300 naht isnot 2 days wages? for a poor thai.

3)You must have been a small wage earner or lived in a mansion. Maybe thats why you moved here to poor to live at home.

4)I believe it is 69 units but not sure on that

Kuffki---- is you say Labor costs are huge --- you have to show it.

You give anecdotal evidence of what an engineer in a powerplant in Thailand makes. Then you say that in the West it is 100% or 200% more. Which is it twice or three times the salary? How many per shift versus how many engineers per shift in Thailand? --- Basically your argument is a strawman here. No proof AND not internally consistent. Comparing wages (inaccurate) for 7-11's in Thailand and "the West" is also a strawman since it has no bearing on the cost of generating electricity or running a power company. (even an Asst manager doesn't make $2000/60000 baht a month as a 7-11 employee .... source http://www.payscale....nc./Hourly_Rate

You made the claim that labor was a major cost factor --- scroll up --- it is your job to prove it.

You made statements of FACT ---- you have not supported those with any proof whatsoever. You even added the phrase "It is a FACT" complete with all CAPS ... but can't prove a thing of it --- making it an OPINION

Yes we obviously know different people and live in a different country because I have NEVER been in a shop that was sitting in the dark and then turned on lights and AC when I entered. I have been in MANY that did not have AC.

No not at all, it is you who is arguing with me that i am wrong, so please provide proof that i am.

Now take your link and see how many hours one works in 7/11 in the states and then see how many in Thailand. Also see what is the rate for all the over time for that same amount of hours.

But even taking your scale, 45000 per month compared to 6000 per month and you still want to argue what exactly?

Again, why would Thailand need more engineers then any other country to work per shift?

I see you are excellent at picking, just not so good at responding. Please try.

Now since my evidence is anecdotal, i am looking forward to seeing yours less anecdotal.Try to google it!

I do not need to support my facts, you do not agree with my facts, please provide some evidence to support that i am wrong, to this moment you have not done so and sadly i doubt you will.

As for this comment, i guess it speaks volumes how much of Thailand you actually know.

"Yes we obviously know different people and live in a different country because I have NEVER been in a shop that was sitting in the dark and then turned on lights and AC when I entered. I have been in MANY that did not have AC"

:) Have to own an AC unit before the cost of electricity to run it matters (strawman) I am saying that 300 Baht is both less than 2 days wages AND that there will be more than one working person in the household (so thus not a valid argument in most cases.) I lived in places that were HOT and they were not small houses (and I have a house where there is snow on the ground 5.5 months out of the year as well.)

BANGKOK, 18 January 2011 – Thailand’s generous plan to provide free electricity to 8.7 million of the nation’s 19 million electricity-consuming households is coming under heavy fire from industry leaders.

http://thaifinancialpost.com/2011/01/18/free-electricity-in-thailand-worries-industry/

This is why there will be a rate hike --- gotta cover giving away electricity to close to 50% of all Thai households

:) Have to own an AC unit before the cost of electricity to run it matters (strawman) I am saying that 300 Baht is both less than 2 days wages AND that there will be more than one working person in the household (so thus not a valid argument in most cases.) I lived in places that were HOT and they were not small houses (and I have a house where there is snow on the ground 5.5 months out of the year as well.)

BANGKOK, 18 January 2011 – Thailand's generous plan to provide free electricity to 8.7 million of the nation's 19 million electricity-consuming households is coming under heavy fire from industry leaders.

http://thaifinancial...rries-industry/

This is why there will be a rate hike --- gotta cover giving away electricity to close to 50% of all Thai households

Now you have gone totally off topic. We are not debating the reason for increase. We are debating that the price of electricity is already high. The house i live in now is in Thai name and i do not get any free electric.

LOL, Lets see your post from my bar stool, shall we.

1. Telephone wires you say. I was not aware that telephone wires were capable of supplying electricity, but i guess its lack of industrian experience. You see in the evenings, you have those small vendors selling on the streets and many of them have wires running up to those "telephone wires" as you stated, then funny enough from those telephone wires they have a light. Must be magicbiggrin.gif

Do you mean all those vendors are getting free electricity??? No wonder everyone else is paying so much.

I think you need to go and have a close look at those wires.

If a thai has an electric bill of 300 baht for a month that can be 2 days wages. Now let me ask you how many of you in your memory have paid 2 days wages for a months electric in your home country. Or is that to difficult of math to figure it out.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if the electric bill is only 300 baht for the month.........they don't have to pay it? Something to do with a low-income relief or something?

Edited by Phatcharanan

Kuffki --- you haven't given any facts (just opinion stated as FACT)

Ok, prove me wrong with your facts. and again why are you avoiding any and all questions i put to you?

Do you not agree that the biggest cost in any business is wages? If so, perhaps you can explain then why every single company first lays off staff should they fall on hard times or want to maximize profits.

I am sure you recall Enron.Enron employed approximately 22,000 staff and was one of the world's leading electricity, natural gas, communications, and pulp and paper companies.

When they first hit trouble, first thing they did was lay off staff. Now since labor is NOT the the biggest cost in your opinion,could you kindly post what is.

LOL, Lets see your post from my bar stool, shall we.

1. Telephone wires you say. I was not aware that telephone wires were capable of supplying electricity, but i guess its lack of industrian experience. You see in the evenings, you have those small vendors selling on the streets and many of them have wires running up to those "telephone wires" as you stated, then funny enough from those telephone wires they have a light. Must be magicbiggrin.gif

Do you mean all those vendors are getting free electricity??? No wonder everyone else is paying so much.

I think you need to go and have a close look at those wires.

Oh i did, and always wondered how some shops with hardly any customers in BKK can afford to have AC on all day and half of the night and was told for 5000 baht a special man comes out and makes a wire running from your neighbor to you, so your neighbor pays while you get a free ride.

A very common practice especially when have a condo nearby, because then half of the neighborhood lives off that condo. and wires are such a mess that its almost impossible to determine what is what.

This thread has some rather serious infractions of the rules and has gone off-topic. Please stay on-topic and cut the personal comments about posters.

I will go through and delete nasty posts. Further infractions will result in a suspension of posting ability.

Thanks.

Oh i did, and always wondered how some shops with hardly any customers in BKK can afford to have AC on all day and half of the night and was told for 5000 baht a special man comes out and makes a wire running from your neighbor to you, so your neighbor pays while you get a free ride.

A very common practice especially when have a condo nearby, because then half of the neighborhood lives off that condo. and wires are such a mess that its almost impossible to determine what is what.

Urban legend (not that some people are getting free power illegally ---- that condo buildings are apt to foot the bill for anyone else. The metering happens inside the condo builidng or at their individual junction box. EASY to see if it has been tampered with

Oil for electricity - not a bright choice.

Atomic has been the way to go for over 50 years, but ignorant folks fought their use. France makes money on their nuclear power, as could Thailand, but training is the key.

Definitely no work ethic in Thailand...LOL

Ahhh, so you are one of this guys accept an Atomic waste final depot in his garden or your neighborhood, GREAT, give us your address, we will forward it to the atomic industry :jap:

And someone said it already, it makes a big difference to pay 40.-Baht for a Liter gasoline or 5.-Baht for a KW Electricity if you have 40-80k a month

Edited by moskito

Electricity has always seemed to be high in Thailand. My mother lives in Phoenix, AZ and her electric bill a few years ago was about the same as mine here in Thailand. She was retired and had AC on all day (she likes it warm, so not a heavy user). I work, I only have it on at night. Her entire house is air conditioned, I only use it in one room (OK 2 rooms), but not at the same time. I don't know how much it is per unit either here or there. But the cost was about the same. (Her house has insulation, however; mine doesn't).

My father worked for the power company. He was a lineman. A crew was always two people. It was forbidden for them to go out with only one person. As a teenager, I often had to accompany him if his partner wasn't available. I didn't really have to do anything--we weren't supposed to--but if there was an accident, we could call for help on the two-way radio, which was manned 24/7.

There were larger crews when they were building line or doing major repairs. Safety was number 1. He was once suspended for 3 days for being electrocuted on the job for violating a safety procedure. Of course, he was lucky he wasn't killed.

He earned a pretty reasonable salary. We had a new house, a lake home, and he never drove the same care for more than 2 years.

i now officially give up with you. Condo's do not have an individual box. The main power line runs to the condo generator only then it gets individual.

All the tempering happens prior to being delivered to individual boxes. it gets done even before it hits condo generator.

There is no way to determine where and who because all the wiring is a mess, unless Power company is willing to spend days on the site and since most of the jobs are done by its employees, they never find the tempering.

Ever wondered why some people in condo's pay more for electric for 1 bedroom then people in the 3 bedroom house?rate is the same, but in the house have 4 AC units and everything else.

Oh wait, i forget, you also need evidence for that. Would my bills from condo and house in comparison do for you?

"Condo's do not have an individual box" but "All the tampering happens prior to being delivered to the individual boxes".

Besides that little conundrum, if the tampering was happening prior to being delivered to the individual boxes, how does one condo pay for everyone else? The one condo only gets charged for what gets delivered to the individual box.

Try again.

Condo juristic person either pays the total or they split it across every unit. I do not know the exact mechanics

Once again, from what i understood, all the tempering is done on the main line before it hits condo generator. Why is it so hard to understand?

There is a main line that would run to condo generator, so if someone jumps on to that line before it hits generator, total delivered is what is "consumed" by the generator. NO?

Condo juristic person either pays the total or they split it across every unit. I do not know the exact mechanics

Once again, from what i understood, all the tempering is done on the main line before it hits condo generator. Why is it so hard to understand?

There is a main line that would run to condo generator, so if someone jumps on to that line before it hits generator, total delivered is what is "consumed" by the generator. NO?

Every condo I have been in has been separately metered. The only way I would pay more is if someone jumped onto my line after the individual meter. In that case my charges would be twice what they should be.

Any tampered connections outside of the condo complex wouldn't get paid by anyone. Any tampered connections inside the complex before the individual meters would have to paid by the complex (ie everyone).

If someone jumps onto the line before it hits the "generator" (it's not a generator. generators 'generate' electricity), then it either isn't metered, since the meter would be at the "generator", or someone jumps onto the line after the complex meter and it's paid for by the complex since individuals only pay what the individual meters.

Anyway, it probably could be done, but I doubt it happens much.

Electricity prices in Thailand are high as is, besides greed i do not see a reason for price increase.

I mean just look at all the wiring on the streets, i think we can all agree that the work is done not by best trained or even skilled workers.

What is your basis for saying they are high? Compared to what? Other countries? The cost of generation? Cost of transmission? Or are they just high? :rolleyes:

Your second statement is truly startling. What would the "wiring on the streets" have to do with the price?

Might interest you to know that Thailand electricity cost is about middle of the road for a non-subsidizing country. At about 11 US cents per K/hr it is about on par with the US and almost half of what it cost in the UK

TH

in Thailand i pay 5 bath /unit , in my country i pay at least 3 x more .... so why complaining ??:jap:

Most thais cannot move back to uk.

I think wha tkeffki is trying to say is that the cost of labour and machinery is very low in Thailand so at the present rate there is already a large profit. I also think he was trying to point out the difference in wages between thailand and countries such as the uk,making electricity more expnesive in Thailand than places like uk. Just because some guy gets off a plane with a fat wallet and can easily pay the electric bill does not mean some poor thai can pay his at the rate it is here. Posts like yours just show personal greed. It is easy for you ,so to helll with others, seems to be your attitude.

so now maybe the steam (or other thing) is out your head , i just would tell you i am not refering to thai s but to us ourself , for witch this is a real cheap price ...., are you alqways like that quick to respond on such way ... ok then ALSO PAY THE GIRLS EUROPEAN prices if you are such a .model farang.... get the message..???

only refer to OUR way to not be the complaining people :angry:

Edited by david555

TH

in Thailand i pay 5 bath /unit , in my country i pay at least 3 x more .... so why complaining ??:jap:

Complaining and stating facts are 2 very different things.

In my country i pay same as i pay in Thailand(last time i lived in my country anyway) BUT

Salary for employee in my country is no less then 60 000 per month, while salary of an employee in Thailand is 6 000/month and for some even 4 000/month.

Pension in my country is 30 000 baht per month while in Thailand its 500 baht per month

So even if i was paying 3 times cheaper, with the salary's being paid electricity should be 10 times cheaper not 3 times.

my reply happens ONLY to be to us complaining , NOT thai , so i hope this is clearly understud , i know very we l a loud of people suffer here , but i thought whe farang where complaining ..... (whiteout ANY reason as whe can manage very wel in contrary wtih the people here)

I hope this is cleared up ..... ??

90% of the wiring you see on the streets is for telephone lines.

70% of statistics arent true whistling.gif

The house i live in now is in Thai name and i do not get any free electric.

That's because you are using too much electricity. It doesn't mater if the house/apartment is Thai or foreign owned, it only matters how much electricity you have used. I have received free electricty in my Bangkok condo in the months where I have been here very little, and therefore haven't used much electricity.

Sophon

What are these "generators" you keep going on about ?....condo's would only have generators as an emergency back up.

I assume you are taking about the distribution board or possibly a transformer, the main line coming may in fact be a 3 phase supply, and somebody messing with that " main line" supply to try and take 220V off to run a cono would be very stupid and/or very dead, even if they suceeded their house hold appliances wouldnt like it....:rolleyes:

What are these "generators" you keep going on about ?....condo's would only have generators as an emergency back up.

I assume you are taking about the distribution board or possibly a transformer, the main line coming may in fact be a 3 phase supply, and somebody messing with that " main line" supply to try and take 220V off to run a cono would be very stupid and/or very dead, even if they suceeded their house hold appliances wouldnt like it....:rolleyes:

Thats the one the trasformer.

I am not the one doing the messing and matter in question is NOT if its stupid or not, but this is what some do.

Several of the posters you are arguing with are involved in the industrial construction business in Thailand and are very familiar with power generation and distribution in Thailand and western countries (where they started out in the business). (Soutpee probably does know what a steam turbine costs)

Your posts defending your position continues to be nothing more then repeating urban legends and showing that you really know very little about how electricity arrives at the consumer or the business model that involves. I know for a fact that virtually all street vendors do not steal the electricity from the electric company, they either steal it from somebody below their meter or in most cases have made a deal with person to pay for it in some way. To attempt to tap into a line before the meter is highly dangerous and in most cases impractical anyways. Your example of stealing before the condo transformers is actually impossible, as what they would get is a voltage that is unusable to them. You are basing your posts on seeing something you do understand how it works and coming up with incorrect conclusion on what is actually happening.

The EGAT employees are way above the minimum wage and I am unsure what your point is in bringing that up time and again. Also worth noting that the Metropolitan Electric Authority has hundreds of bucket trucks with non-conducting fiberglass booms in service all over Bangkok, just like electric companies in the west. They do often use bamboo ladders when they are impractical due to the congestion, but would like to see them use aluminum ones instead?

The minimum wage also does not apply to constructing the power plants or the distribution networks, as many of those people are also skilled labor that makes far above minimum wage, just like in the west. Construction of major projects such as power plants are at best only moderately cheaper then in the west, and that is indeed mainly due to cheaper labor, but that is considerably offset by the higher cost of the imported equipment and transportation cost involved.

There is no doubt the EGAT is far from an efficiently run company. Few large government owned entities are. How much of an impact that inefficiency has on the cost charged to consumers? That would be very hard to quantify, but it highly unlikely it would very much as the end result would be better service, not lower prices.

So, getting back to your statement “electricity prices are too high in Thailand”, I am still confused as what you are trying to say. It appears that all you are indeed saying is they are “too high” without any real understanding of the business from a technical or commercial perspective.

TH

WHY the lack of solar power here? And the is it that that is available 'to heat water only' anyway (?) so expensive. Particularly when you look at countries such as Japan and many more advanced countries, it's everywhere.

It's okay. I think I know the answer ...