New Major Transport Changes ?

Belfastboy

I read recently an article regarding future changes for bangkoks public transport, ie new electric trains and an orange and purple line?

just wondering for future reference does anyone know where there will be major changes in public transport in bkk?

as i when i arrive in 1 year and 11 months (whos counting) i want to consider this when buying or renting a place.

anyone have map ? or know of anything regarding this?

The current government's (TRT) voting base has always been the rural poor. They made a lot of promises about increasing Bangkok's Mass Transit System to try to win more middle class urban votes, but then backed out of them after the elections were over and will use the money they will save for more of their populist schemes to help the rural poor.

Unfortunately, the rural schemes haven't been very well thought out - the village funds just get the farmers deeper into dept and the Million Cow scheme has been riddled with corruption from the very start. :o

I read recently an article regarding future changes for bangkoks public transport, ie new electric trains and an orange and purple line?

Theoretically, the government just put the kibosh on both the proposed purple and orange subway lines. I say theoretically because decisions regarding the viability of such big infrastructure projects can change quickly within the Thai government. It wouldn't surprise me if we haven't heard the last of either proposed subway line.

No matter how many times Thai infastwucture/twansportation pwans, pwomises, and comfamations disapoint us,

one must wemember that some one wery wery powerful here has deep inwestments and contwols in da Thai oil suppwy and is fulwy behind da constwuction of numerwus moustwap mota-ways being waid out all awound metwo Bangkok.

Thus, that soyton sumwun has a wot to wooze if ewery wun was widing ewectwic twains.

Da boats, canals, and electwic twolly in Bangkok (50 years ago) didn't wast againtz da gasoween automobile ways and certain folks would be dammed if any other alternative twanspatation can stay in da wunning.

:o

I don't know what everyone is fretting about, it will probably take them ten years or more to build  anything. I have been here for five and a half years, and the BTS extension still hasn't been opened yet, and that is only one line!

Oh, BTS is a scary monster, isn't it? And an extension of it would bring a mirracle?

BTS, built to carry 160K passengers per day, has had it's peak at 80K, all (2) lines, all day. At the half of it's capacity expats and board members were complaining of the terrible crowds on the train.

Only Shinjuku station in Tokyo handles 2 million people per day, heavy duty, day in day out.

BKK is a big city - 10 million people, no reason to be shy of Tokyo.

And has that touristy sightseeing, mickey mouse rail. If that appeared in the Pattaya amusement park, nobody would rise a browse. Just an another toy.