Do I Need A Visa/Wp During Probation Or Internship

Dear All,

1) Internship employment

I have a foreign friend who is here on a 1 year O visa (spouse) with her foreign husband who works for an international company in TH.

She's been offered a job by a company and it is a great relief from some of the relative boredom of being a housewife here, so she's quite excited.

The company has said that she will not need any change in visa or a WP during her three month probationary period. However, I'm not so sure about this as I've never heard of that before.

The letter of employment that she has received by them (which she hasn't signed yet), indicates and states that the employment is an 'internship'. They will pay her a small salary in return and bonus.

In my opinion, this is not legal. Please advise.

2) Are there any rules for working voluntarily in Thailand? Or can you just do anything if you're not being paid?

3) Would it be easier or better to be a freelance? Does that require any Thai partner or business set up/registration? Where can I find out about doing this if pheasible?

Many thanks to all that reply...

regards

Volunteering requires a work permit.

An inetrn ship doesn't require a work permit, but must be part of an education. That might even be only as part of a Thai educational facility. The internship must be reported to the government, I'm not sure labour, education or immigration department.

Freelance require a Thai company.

Working wthout a WP (including volunteering) is punishable by a jail term of up to 5 years and or a fine of 100,000 baht.

Volunteering requires a work permit.

An inetrn ship doesn't require a work permit, but must be part of an education. That might even be only as part of a Thai educational facility. The internship must be reported to the government, I'm not sure labour, education or immigration department.

Freelance require a Thai company.

Working wthout a WP (including volunteering) is punishable by a jail term of up to 5 years and or a fine of 100,000 baht.

Cheers Mario, appreciated.

K. MP: The information that you received above is accurate. Good jobs for foreigners from reputable companies here in Thailand -- or anywhere else -- are not easy to find and non-reputable companies generally do not put their employment contingencies of any sort in writing... Caveat emptor.