Ip Star

Nowhereman60

I am looking for information on IP Star. What is your opinion of it. what is the cost.. I live in a rural area of Thailand. No phone lines, and my edge service from DTAC really sucks now, and I have called many times but no help. I looked at the TOT website and it doesn't help at all. Only thing I found was an application form. Any information would be helpful. Including other options.

Several years ago I used IP STAR I had TOT come and install it. I can't remember just how much it cost but it was expencive, like around 3000 baht a month for 1 meg as I remember though it needed to have some kind of a land line as the dish was used for download and the land line was for upload.

why don't you go over to TOT office and ask them. IP STAR IMHO is to be used only if there is no otherway.

Good luck. :rolleyes:

Several years ago I used IP STAR I had TOT come and install it. I can't remember just how much it cost but it was expencive, like around 3000 baht a month for 1 meg as I remember though it needed to have some kind of a land line as the dish was used for download and the land line was for upload.

why don't you go over to TOT office and ask them. IP STAR IMHO is to be used only if there is no otherway.

Good luck. :rolleyes:

That was an even older system, forgot how it was called!

The current iPSTAR is a two way system, i.e. both upload and download go through the satellite.

Only one comment, stay away from it. It is a very high technology system, of which the technical management they have not properly mastered in Thailand. The system has good potential, is used all over the world by various countries without much problems, but the Thai ISP's cannot handle it.

Lots has been written on this board and the consensus is that it should be renamed to "crapstar" :)

Maybe you'd better first try simcards from different providers (AIS) as you might get lucky and get better speeds of them.

And also, do visit your local CAT office and inquire if they have CDMA (EV-DO) in your area, this is also mobile internet but at 3G speeds (probably averages between 0.5 and 1.5 Mbps, a fair bit faster then Edge).

I've used IPSTAR since I built my house in Sep. 2006

You can up and download with this. I've had to have the TOT service guys out several times to replace the boxes inside the house and where I'm at they don't seem to like to come that often. Too far to drive or something. If you phone to complain about service they basically give you the runaround or just ignore you and hang up, they get alot of complaints with IPSTAR. That being said I would have to go with it again where I'm at as there is nothing else available.

I pay 2,600 Baht per month for what is supposed to be 1 MB download speed. It does hit this on occasion but during the rainy season it's a crapshoot as to service and speed. It's better than nothing but I'm always on the lookout for something I can upgrade to