Washing Machines + Dryers - Hot Water Vs Cold Water

ukrules

I know there's another washing machine thread going about the reliability of different brands but this is a completely different question.

I'm going to buy a washing machine and dryer, I'm fed up with paying the expensive laundry fees, for one bag of clothes the greedy £&%^$(£ often charge me up to 400 Baht for a next day service and they all seem to be the same around here, some charge even more than this - I live right in the middle of Sukhumvit so I guess it's priced for foreigners on holiday and people who don't have machines at home. I've never seen any Thai's coming or going from the Laundry.

I've been looking around at different machines and I see that things are a little different from back home in the UK.

In the UK I got the cheapest machine I could find which has a cold water intake but heats the water to a certain temperature and then washes / spins the clothes, it's a front loader and cost about £280. It worked perfectly and has a 1200 RPM spin which gets the clothes reasonably dry. I then take the whole lot out and put it in the dryer until it's completely dry, this is how I wash all my clothes back home.

Here I find we have similar models which are much more expensive than back home with all sorts of functions that I'm pretty sure I don't need. I wash nearly everything at 40 degrees in the UK and it seems to work ok. Sheets and towels I would normally wash at a higher temperature of 90 or 60 degrees respectively.

I know the washing powders and detergents over here are different and they use powders specifically designed for colder water washes.

What's the deal here ? Is a cold water wash with the correct powder just as good as hot water wash with the correct powder or is there some kind of trade off ? I guess it's an enzyme type powder they use here which might kill all bacteria, I don't want my clothes to start to smell after being washed due to them not being adequately cleaned.

I've also been looking at dryers, these seem to be more expensive than the washing machines which seems a little strange as all they do is blow hot air into a rotating chamber.

I speak no Thai and getting information was not so easy, plus you have the reps hassling you every time you move from one brand to another in the stores and I don't believe a word they say in general.

What is 'air dry' - does this just suck in the outside air and dry the clothes with that - does it work properly when the humidity rises very high ?

So in short, can anyone recommend what I should buy - washer and dryer, I don't need anything fancy or a combined unit. I'd like to spend as little money as possible but not at the expense of getting a machine that won't do the job properly. I don't need to wash much stuff at a time, once or twice a week, a couple of pairs of jeans, a few t-shirts, shirts and the usual underwear.

The main confusion is probably due to the salesmen in the store trying to get me to buy a 60,000 Baht hot water unit and putting doubt in my mind about the cheaper ones.

Good questions you've got. Here's another one. I have seen what appear to me to be combination washer/dryer machines in one unit. I am quite curious about those. Currently I have a washing machine only and hang my clothes to dry. I am not talking about stacking units with two machines attached, rather one machine that does both functions!

While Ahahn Lau is probably correct, we have used a top loading U.S. style (G.E. bought here) agitator type machine with only cold water for the last 4 years and see no difference in the cleanliness comparing the clothes with using the same (+/-) machine in the U.S. with hot water. We do use bleach with the whites here as we did in the U.S.

We also use a GE electric dryer. And we are happy with both units.

The only country that I have ever used a hot water wshing machine is in the UK. The water was directly fed into the machine from the central heating system. I have never had problems with using cold water in other parts of the world (all in the tropics) and I mostly believe the washing powder/detergent companies who say that their specially formulated product works. I have never used bleach and have persuaded my family to follow my lead. I believe that bleach can discolour and rot material.

I read an article about a couple of years ago which said that fabric softeners are a big taken on and deposit a film over fabrics which makes getting the dirt out difficult. I have never used one since and see no difference in the texture of my clothes.

Here is an article that I found interesting.

Clorox vs Peroxide VERY interesting and inexpensive. Thiswas written by Becky Ransey of Indiana (a doctor's Wife), and I want to shareit with you. She was over recently for coffee and smelled the bleach I wasusing to clean my toilet and counter tops. This is what she told me. 'I wouldlike to tell you of the benefits of that Plain little ole bottle of 3% peroxideyou can get for under $1.00 at any drug store. What does bleach cost?

My husband has been in the medical field for over 36 years,And most doctors don't tell you about peroxide. Have you Ever smelled bleach ina doctor's office? NO!!! Why? Because it smells, and it is not healthy! Ask thenurses who work in doctor's offices, and ask them if they use bleach athome. They are wiser and know better!

Did you also know bleach was invented in the late 40's? It'schlorine, folks! And it was used to kill our troops. Peroxide was inventedduring WWI in the 20's. It was used to save and help cleanse the needs of ourtroops and hospitals.

Please think about this:

1. Take one capful (the little white cap that comes with thebottle) and hold in your mouth for 10 minutes daily, then spit it out. (I do itwhen I bathe.) No more canker sores, and your teeth will be whiter withoutexpensive pastes. Use it instead of mouthwash.

2. Let your toothbrushes soak in a cup of peroxide to keepthem free of germs.

3. Clean your counters and table tops with peroxide to killgerms and leave a fresh smell. Simply put a little on your dishrag when youwipe, or spray it on the counters.

4. After rinsing off your wooden cutting board, pourperoxide on it to kill salmonella and other bacteria.

5. I had fungus on my feet for years until I sprayed a 50/50mixture of peroxide and water on them (especially the toes) every night and letdry.

6. Soak any infections or cuts in 3% peroxide for 5-10minutes several times a day. My husband has seen gangrene that would not healwith any medicine but was healed by soaking in peroxide.

7. Fill a spray bottle with a 50/50 mixture of peroxide andWater and keep it in every bathroom to disinfect without Harming your septicsystem like bleach or most other Disinfectants will.

8. Tilt your head back and spray into nostrils with your50/50 mixture whenever you have a cold, plugged sinus. It will bubble and helpto kill the bacteria. Hold for a few minutes, and then blow your nose into atissue.

9. If you have a terrible toothache and cannot get to adentist right away, put a capful of 3% peroxide into your mouth and hold it for10 minutes several times a day. The pain will lessen greatly.

10. And of course, if you like a natural look to your hair,spray the 50/50 solution on your wet hair after a shower and comb it through.You will not have the peroxide-burnt blonde hair like the hair dye packages butmore natural highlights if your hair is a light brown, reddish, or dirtyblonde. It also lightens gradually, so it's not a drastic change.

11. Put half a bottle of peroxide in your bath to help getrid of boils, fungus, or other skin infections.

12. You can also add a cup of peroxide instead of bleach toa load of whites in your laundry to whiten them. If there is blood on clothing,pour it directly on the soiled spot. Let it sit for a minute, then rub it andrinse with cold water. Repeat if necessary.

13. I use peroxide to clean my mirrors. There is nosmearing, which is why I love it so much for this.

14. Another place it's great is in the bathroom, if someonehas been careless & has peed on the floor around the toilet & it'sbegun to smell of urine. Just put some peroxide in a spray bottle & spray.In the blink of any eye all the smell will be gone & the bacteria eliminated!

I could go on and on. It is a little brown bottle no homeshould be without! With prices of most necessities rising, I'm glad there's away to save tons of money in such a simple, healthy manner! ' This informationreally woke me up. I hope you gain something from it, too.

Some interesting points, I've decided to go with a cold water model and a separate dryer.

I've never used fabric softener, bleach or anything else apart from the standard powder or the 'gel' capsules they sell back in the UK which you just threw into the machine along with the washing.

Yes and they are called washer/dryers something we've had in the west for many many moons . . . .

Good questions you've got. Here's another one. I have seen what appear to me to be combination washer/dryer machines in one unit. I am quite curious about those. Currently I have a washing machine only and hang my clothes to dry. I am not talking about stacking units with two machines attached, rather one machine that does both functions!