Opium And Ganja Sweets Bust

Ulysses G.

I'm happy he got off light. For him, but also for the forum characters who think 'The Farlung' always gets the short end of the stick, and/or those who think that a special brownie kills school children. Booyah!

Getting off light is relative though.. I may prefer 5 years in a Thai jail over what is in effect a life-sentence living in the US! (Or other Western country)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Word on the grapevine is Bob has been deported and blacklisted already, no charges will be brought in the US. His wife has been released without charge also.

Sadly Spanky's will not be re-opening for business.

This could be true but it would be highly irregular and I think very unlikely unless he was working with Thai or US government people. Best to wait for something more than grapevine information before accepting that he got off easy.

I'm happy he got off light. For him, but also for the forum characters who think 'The Farlung' always gets the short end of the stick, and/or those who think that a special brownie kills school children. Booyah!

Getting off light is relative though.. I may prefer 5 years in a Thai jail over what is in effect a life-sentence living in the US! (Or other Western country)

Nothing in the thread suggesting farangs always get the short end of the stick. In fact from previous court decisions the opposite is the case.

Odd comment about drugs killing children, Winnie.

I accept that you are happy for him. What is your response to the customers who atre the victims of the drug supply.

Like it or not, countries have drug laws to protect people from abuse. And selecting whether you like a law or not is no reason to condone any illegal activity.

caf

อ้างกับชาวต่างชาติเสมอ ๆ ว่า รู้จักกับตำรวจชั้นผู้ใหญ่

Bob would claim to other foreigners all the time that he knew a high ranking police officer.

ผู้ต้องหานั้นได้พยายามปฏิเสธว่ากัญชาไม่ใช่ของตนเองเป็นของคนอื่น

The accused tried to deny that the ganja was his, saying it belonged to someone else.

ผู้ต้องหาได้ให้การว่า นำอ้อยที่ผสมกับน้ำตาลนั้น ตนไปซื้อมาจากตลาด เพื่อนำมาผสมกับวัสดุซึ่งตนไม่รู้ว่าเป็นกัญชา

He said that he bought the syrup from the market, to mix with an ingredient that he didn't know was ganja.

Maybe they believed him?

California lock up your kids, there's a new terrorist in town!

Bob would claim to other foreigners all the time that he knew a high ranking police officer.

The accused tried to deny that the ganja was his, saying it belonged to someone else.

ผู้ต้องหาได้ให้การว่า นำอ้อยที่ผสมกับน้ำตาลนั้น ตนไปซื้อมาจากตลาด เพื่อนำมาผสมกับวัสดุซึ่งตนไม่รู้ว่าเป็นกัญชา

He said that he bought the syrup from the market, to mix with an ingredient that he didn't know was ganja.

Maybe they believed him?

can you provide the news article that those quotes are from? or was it one of the 2 articles already posted?

thanks

Nothing in the thread suggesting farangs always get the short end of the stick. In fact from previous court decisions the opposite is the case.

I accept that you are happy for him. What is your response to the customers who atre the victims of the drug supply.

Like it or not, countries have drug laws to protect people from abuse. And selecting whether you like a law or not is no reason to condone any illegal activity.

caf

Perhaps you should look up why and when Thailand outlawed opium use. I think you will find it had nothing to do with protecting people.

caf

Perhaps you should look up why and when Thailand outlawed opium use. I think you will find it had nothing to do with protecting people.

Correct but I didn't say that, did I?

I referred to "countries" and many had ulterior motives to both disencourage and in fact encourage drug trading. Currently, coutries have anti drug laws to protect people. That is not to say blind eyes aren't turned of course.

Neither you nor I are in a position to change a law because it does not suit our way of thinking. He has not been found guilty but if he is guilty then the law and punishment follows. A deal may be done depending on what actually happened and we are unlikely to know anything about that.

Some if the comments on here get a bit daft. If one personally thinks rape is not a crime because the guy is a nice guy then that is an opinion that one holds. It does not change the legality or illegality of the action.

caf

caf

And what about all the laws related to drinking and driving that are supposed to protect people......when are they going to start enforcing some of those and protect people?

Maybe they believed him?

can you provide the news article that those quotes are from? or was it one of the 2 articles already posted?

thanks

From the first article... http://www.chiangmainews.co.th/page/?p=12984

Maybe they believed him?

thanks

That same "defense" was mentioned in a local newspaper. They also mentioned his supposed connections to the high-ranking police.

Word on the grapevine is Bob has been deported and blacklisted already, no charges will be brought in the US. His wife has been released without charge also.

Sadly Spanky's will not be re-opening for business.

This could be true but it would be highly irregular and I think very unlikely unless he was working with Thai or US government people. Best to wait for something more than grapevine information before accepting that he got off easy.

I too would like to hear more than "grapevine" of what actually happened. I only wish the best for Bob and his wife, both of whom I liked very much. But come on, a final disposition (as mentioned through the grapevine) to the very serious situation that they were both in only ever happens in movies. I guess it could happen, like Dante99 said, but for a deal to made and finalized in what - 5 days? That seems very unusual especially in Thailand. I would also think that the government would have seized all of their assets in Thailand as they would claim that they were obtained with money made illegally. All this would take some time.

Has anyone actually spoken with Bob since his arrest?

Edited by elektrified

Maybe they believed him?

Knowing a high ranking police officer is quite different from that officer putting his career on line for a case with kilos of evidence.

First he said the ganja was not his, then he says that he did not know it was ganja. That is funny, like trying to sort out a thirteen year old kid.

Maybe they believed him?

Knowing a high ranking police officer is quite different from that officer putting his career on line for a case with kilos of evidence.

First he said the ganja was not his, then he says that he did not know it was ganja. That is funny, like trying to sort out a thirteen year old kid.

Actually more like trying to sort out a newspaper written by people with the mental capacity of a thirteen year old, if that. (applies to all Thai newspapers that I've seen, both Thai and English language)

I would also think that the government would have seized all of their assets in Thailand as they would claim that they were obtained with money made illegally. All this would take some time.

From the first news article...

และทำเรื่องดำเนินการเพิกถอนการอยู่ในราชอาณาจักรและขอขึ้นบัญชีเป็นบุคคลต้องห้าม

"The police are arranging his deportation and his bank account has been frozen."

Maybe they believed him?

The first quote is talking about the marijuana compressed blocks, the second quote is talking about the hash he put in the candies.

Yeah, like trying to sort out a 13 year old kid who smokes pot at parties, downright disgraceful!

Whatever people's libetarian views are, and we can discuss this ab infinitum; the point is we live in Thaialnd and there are laws and punishments with which we must abide.

Isn't ab infinitum the name of that new fitness center at Airport Plaza?

ignore this post - it may be incorrect - the fact is he is in the US - I assume he'll be blacklisted but an associate of his suggested maybe not - but this is probably wishful thinking - we await the facts

edit: new info

Edited by ChiangMaiFun

Whatever people's libetarian views are, and we can discuss this ab infinitum; the point is we live in Thaialnd and there are laws and punishments with which we must abide.

If it isn't, it should be :D.

Yes

"The police are arranging his deportation and his bank account has been frozen."

Thanks for the good translations keo. Just a quick correction on the above. It's not saying that they seized his bank account, but that he was put on the immigration blacklist, or "บัญชีเป็นบุคคลต้องห้าม," meaning he will no longer be allowed entry into Thailand. บัญชี in this usage means list rather than account.

More harmless people caught up losing their freedom due to the most archaic laws possible in this, the 21st century. It's really rather distressing that normal citizens, providing a service to other citizens in the community are at risk of losing their freedom because of the stupid law book. Happens all over the world.

The only way this could have happened was someone shopping him. This person will have deliberated over his actions and the fact that he or she was causing an ordinary person to be committed to a horrible prison sentence. I hope that person feels well chuffed with themselves.

I feel quite sick about the whole news.

Poor man. Too trusting i guess was his 'downfall', although the blame must be squarely pointed at the law book.

Making criminals out of ordinary citizens is a far bigger crime.

I guess it's hopeless to hope that he somehow avoids a prison sentence.

Quite dreadful.

You again. Enough already! You can blurt and troll all you want on the rights and wrongs of your awkward views of Thailand's, and the rest of the civilised world's, laws on the stuff. All you need to know while living in Muang Thai is that it is illegal. Pipe down and have some respect for your host!

No sympathy at all from me.....

Drug trafficking is drug trafficking, plain and simple.

Stupid thing to do at the best of times, the oinly saving grace here is that he is not in Singapore or Malaysia where the ultimate penalty would be a lot more certain.

;)

A wild guess. If this "nice person" Bob would not have a US passport, there would be about 5-10

replies to this topic :rolleyes:

Makes not one iota of difference where's he's from and is certainly not why I posted. A 'farang dealing' is the kicker.

You again. Enough already! You can blurt and troll all you want on the rights and wrongs of your awkward views of Thailand's, and the rest of the civilised world's, laws on the stuff. All you need to know while living in Muang Thai is that it is illegal. Pipe down and have some respect for your host!

Oh, the irony is overwhelming. Pot.. Kettle.. Black.

-Mestizo

All of this has peaked my interest in going to a full moon party down south. Anybody know what goes on down there? I hear that whatever it is, it's been going on for years. ;)

Poot brachot

Edited by alobar

A wild guess. If this "nice person" Bob would not have a US passport, there would be about 5-10

replies to this topic :rolleyes:

Makes not one iota of difference where's he's from and is certainly not why I posted. A 'farang dealing' is the kicker.

On this forum it does

Thanks for the good translations keo. Just a quick correction on the above. It's not saying that they seized his bank account, but that he was put on the immigration blacklist, or "บัญชีเป็นบุคคลต้องห้าม," meaning he will no longer be allowed entry into Thailand. บัญชี in this usage means list rather than account.

ah, right - thanks!

All of this has peaked my interest in going to a full moon party down south. Anybody know what goes on down there? I hear that whatever it is, it's been going on for years. ;)

Maybe they still carry Spanky's Famous "O" Brownies ® down there. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.