Driving With Lights On At Daytime

Semper

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My missus once said that it is unnecessary to clean up the dust behind the loudspeakers as no one sees it. I answered: Our daughters health sees it (we have an asthmatic child). She's never said anything again after that... But she still doesn't clean very well there either

My missus once said that it is unnecessary to clean up the dust behind the loudspeakers as no one sees it. I answered: Our daughters health sees it (we have an asthmatic child). She's never said anything again after that... But she still doesn't clean very well there either

And your goal is to win the "Most Off Topic Award 2011", right?

And your goal is to win the "Most Off Topic Award 2011", right?

That was advise to the guy whose wife claimed that he wasted electricity using lights in the daytime. There are phrases who can make people shut up but it won't change them so not worth bothering about. Reading between the lines, the advice was - Forget whatever people say and keep the lights on anyway

Did l read here sometime ago that a guy was pulled by the BiB for lights on, something to do with only Police, government, or Royalty vehicles could so that others new they were important and to let them pass :unsure:

well, thats why I have my Highwaypolice sticker in the windshield and lights on, in heavy traffic even fog lights and low beam on. and it works :)

but there is no law against daytime driving lights, and several new Euros like Audi and Benz have diode daytime lights not possible to switch off

all Police convoys use daytime lights, usually high beam

Many, if not most new European cars now come with standard day lights and these lights are always on. I had to go deep into the car setup menu in the board computer to find out how to turn it off. Actually, I didn't turn it off, just wanted to know how it can be done.

The lights are LED, so they use very little electricity, perhaps 1 liter per 100,000 km, so the Missus must not be preoccupied that I am wasting energy. Anyway, to be seen is the main purpose of these lights, and if this can avoid an accident, how much is that worth?

Did l read here sometime ago that a guy was pulled by the BiB for lights on, something to do with only Police, government, or Royalty vehicles could so that others new they were important and to let them pass :unsure:

well, thats why I have my Highwaypolice sticker in the windshield and lights on, in heavy traffic even fog lights and low beam on. and it works :)

but there is no law against daytime driving lights, and several new Euros like Audi and Benz have diode daytime lights not possible to switch off

So, where can I get one?

Many, if not most new European cars now come with standard day lights and these lights are always on. I had to go deep into the car setup menu in the board computer to find out how to turn it off. Actually, I didn't turn it off, just wanted to know how it can be done.

The lights are LED, so they use very little electricity, perhaps 1 liter per 100,000 km, so the Missus must not be preoccupied that I am wasting energy. Anyway, to be seen is the main purpose of these lights, and if this can avoid an accident, how much is that worth?

Wish they thought like that passing my house at night, no lights on bikes and trucks, can't get my head round that when they know the shit they will be in financially after an accident, but same as those pulling out of side streets without looking, doesn't make any sense. :rolleyes:

So, where can I get one?

apply and complete a Highwaypolice Volunteer course :)

So, where can I get one?

apply and complete a Highwaypolice Volunteer course :)

or any local Sticker makingshop.!!:D

I wish there was an enforced law to use lights at night time!

In some states of Australia it is part of official safety strategy campaigns to turn on your lights in daytime on highways.

Some countries in Northern Europe have by law forced cars to drive with their lights on for a generation now. Not surprisingly, the law clearly reduced accidents

<br />
<br />I wish there was an enforced law to use lights at night time!<br /><br />In some states of Australia it is part of official safety strategy campaigns to turn on your lights in daytime on highways.<br />
<br />Some countries in Northern Europe have by law forced cars to drive with their lights on for a generation now. Not surprisingly, the law clearly reduced accidents<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Please - let's hear it from the Swedes!

I believe theirs was the first nation to make headlight use in daytime mandatory. I was in Europe at the time and recall that all Swedes immediately obeyed and the reduction in accidents (in an already very law abiding nation) was dramatic.

However I've been told recently that the effect didn't last long. "All cars with lights on have pretty much the same effect as all cars with lights off, in other words no effect at all" said someone who has driven there.

I tend against daylight headlights. Too many are carelessly left on main beam and are a menace, and I believe it boosts aggression in less mature road users.

One other factor which almost caught me out 2 weeks ago:

I waited to turn right into a major road in daylight. All clear to my left. Coming along from my right was a big bunch of motorcycles, all with their headlights on. (Amazing, I thought, why can't they do that at night??!!).

Anyway, the last of the bunch did NOT have his headlight on and so was almost totally hidden by the others. I JUST avoided his rear number plate as I began to pull out. Deceptive!

OK - all yours to shoot me down now.............

You were a " Volvo " owner at one time wasn't you. " Day running lights they were called " I was always being told I have my lights on when driving during the daytime until people got the message that Volvo's had this but they were a bright side light not a headlight.

I put headlights on here when it is raining.

So, where can I get one?

I am leaving Thailand and can sell you my Police Badge which goes on the grill.

it has enabled me to charge right through police road blocks at high speeds, and get a salute! I shit you not.

its worth the 5,000 baht im asking for it.

the only problem is, you need a nice expensive car to make it look real.

:cheesy:

So, where can I get one?

it has enabled me to charge right through police road blocks at high speeds, and get a salute! I shit you not.

:cheesy:

So, where can I get one?

I dont think soooooo. I have seen many on Isuzu and Toyota pickups. Some driven by uniformed people, some by civilian clothes

My question is whats the difference between the windshield sticker, and the badge that goes on the grill??

Edited by featography

always lights on in thailand... some people horn , wave or flash their lights to me.. i simply wave back or ignore :D

even during daytimes and a lot of sun, it increases the chance to be seen a LOT... safety first :)

(and like said by others in this thread, in a lot of EU countries its either recommended and promoted or a law already)

I do beleive that in UK Motor Bikes now have Daytime driving lights. Don't know if you can turn them off. Introduced to stop idiots pulling out in front of Bikes at junctions. It worked and the mortality rate for Bikers fell drematically. Always drive with my lights on in Udon Thani especially on the ring road. Still does not prevent some Bikes and cars entering the ringroad from the left and cutting infront of you only to swerve onto the hard shoulder (English Term) when they realise you are along side them and not giving way.

A litle Joke-

It has been proposed that all Cars sold in the European market after Jan 2012 will require Daytime Driving Lights. In response Volvo decided to remove the facility from its cars....:D :D :whistling: