Travel Insurance

Hello Colin,

You may wish to consider Columbus Direct. A UK based company that will insure your travel plans even if Thailand is your country of residence; in fact they will insure people residing in a number of countries.

I took out an annual policy for the two of us, effective from 20 December 2010.

I then got caught up in the snow chaos at Heathrow and was delayed by 3 days before flying to Heathrow.

The insurance has just paid out $ 300 US for delayed departure.

The policy is underwritten by Lloyds of London.

I took out an annual "worldwide" policy for the two of us, including 21 days winter sport (for which we went to Europe in the first place). The policy cost $ 272.00 US.

If you take out insurance for the region (S.E.Asia) it is considerably cheaper.

A single trip, one month policy in the region will cost you $ 51.00 US.

I have just looked. An annual policy will cost you just over $ 100 US.

Cover for medical costs is very high, including repatriation etc.

Here is the link to Columbus website: http://www.columbusdirect.com/int/Travel-Insurance/Single-Trip-Travel-Insurance.cfm

The whole process of arranging the policy is done on-line.

The other advantage of this policy as oppose to local companies is that they insured us as a couple (we are a gay couple) whereas local companies won't do that, they only class a couple as husband and wife; married.

In our case the "couple" policy was better value.

One other consideration is that the policy falls under UK jurisdiction in case of disputes.

I hope this helps....

Frm-Bkk

Edited by FRM-BKK

As well as Columbus, who I believe are very good, I always use World Nomads who are underwritten by BUPA, you can buy, extend and claim on-line, think they cost more that the figure given for Columbus.

If you use the code WNFEB11 you get a 7% discount, I think this offer is always available just by changing the dates.

http://worldnomads.com/?utm_source=Nomads+Newsletter&utm_campaign=30a61113dc-Nomads_News_Feb_2011_2_10_2011&utm_medium=email

A good post. I insured my wife with Columbus, but if you want something a little Cheaper Chartis are very good too. They are a local company and very efficient. I use them because they insure elderly people up to 85 whilst I think Columbus have an age limit

Hello Colin,

You may wish to consider Columbus Direct. A UK based company that will insure your travel plans even if Thailand is your country of residence; in fact they will insure people residing in a number of countries.

I took out an annual policy for the two of us, effective from 20 December 2010.

I then got caught up in the snow chaos at Heathrow and was delayed by 3 days before flying to Heathrow.

The insurance has just paid out $ 300 US for delayed departure.

The policy is underwritten by Lloyds of London.

I took out an annual "worldwide" policy for the two of us, including 21 days winter sport (for which we went to Europe in the first place). The policy cost $ 272.00 US.

If you take out insurance for the region (S.E.Asia) it is considerably cheaper.

A single trip, one month policy in the region will cost you $ 51.00 US.

I have just looked. An annual policy will cost you just over $ 100 US.

Cover for medical costs is very high, including repatriation etc.

Here is the link to Columbus website: http://www.columbusd...l-Insurance.cfm

The whole process of arranging the policy is done on-line.

The other advantage of this policy as oppose to local companies is that they insured us as a couple (we are a gay couple) whereas local companies won't do that, they only class a couple as husband and wife; married.

In our case the "couple" policy was better value.

One other consideration is that the policy falls under UK jurisdiction in case of disputes.

I hope this helps....

Frm-Bkk

Tricky business this travel insurance. Especially if you live between two or more countries without a rigid schedule or routine

I just read this thread and got quotes from the three companies mentioned thus far, based on family cover, single trip cover, three months duration:

Nomads $393, Columbus $490 and Chartis $1020. And the Chartis policy was only for Asia ("Silver") by the way

Be aware that while some policies are described as 12 month policies, they may only cover you for individual trips of as little as 45 day duration (columbus was I think 60 days)

Looked like Nomads will be the best for us - best price and reasonable degree of flexibility, for example you can take it out whilst already away from your nominated country of permanent residence, and you can extend it as you wish (though obviously cheaper to buy up-front - IF you know how long you will be away for)

• 3 weeks later...

By travel do you mean medical only or also insurance for flight cancellations / baggage loss etc?

BUPA Thailand do a medical insurance that is cheap that will cover you for a month and I've recently used Chartis for a relative's trip to Thailand that was cheap.