Diesel Or B5

WaldoPepper

Running very low on diesel last week, I tried 2 garages for B5. None available. So I put in diesel and headed off to Pai. 2 hours later the engine cut out. Pulling over, I restarted a couple of times. Nothing. I waited and then tried again. This time the engine caught. On we went, but with the engine giving hiccups, like missing a beat, every so often. I continued on to Mae Hong Son from Pai. No problems, except a couple more hiccups after a rest stop. In MHS, no B5, so I filled up again with diesel to return to CNX. No worries, except for a couple of moments when the engine hiccuped. I'm new to diesels, having bought this machine a couple of months ago. It's an 8 yr old Isuzu and I've always used B5. In and around CNX, it has always been fine. This was my first long journey. Seems as though the engine didn't like plain diesel. Should I use it or just stick to B5? If so, what if B5 is unavailable? Non-techie advice, please. Meantime, should I put B5 into the diesel, or wait until the tank is empty?

I might be wrong but the computer learns and adjusts setting over time. The sudden change of fuel may have caused s hiccup in this but doubtful. I had something similar sometime ago and turned out to be water in the fuel and there was a sensor to detect it and shut down the engine (petrol Mazda RX& Turbo) Thinking back afterwards I remembered the place where I bought fuel was getting there tanks filled at the time by a tanker truck. Only explanation anyone could come up with is the fuel coming in from the tanker may have stirred up water in the bottom of the tank which some of ended up in my tank.

May be that you got some bad fuel or even fuel that has had something cheaper mixed with it to make more profit.

I've used B5 for ages but recently stopped since the stuff is now the same price as regular diesel. Don't notice anything different. (keep in mindeB5 is just 5% bio diesel, and 95% regular).

I don't think it's due to the fuel change, perhaps just time for a regular service.

> I might be wrong but the computer learns and adjusts setting over time.

8 year old Isuzus don't have much in the way of computers I think. ;)

I've used B5 for ages but recently stopped since the stuff is now the same price as regular diesel. Don't notice anything different. (keep in mindeB5 is just 5% bio diesel, and 95% regular).

I don't think it's due to the fuel change, perhaps just time for a regular service.

Correct if I am wrong but doesn't a lot of 'normal' diesel contain 3% bio anyway? I dont think the computer would notice any difference. On out of spec fuels the injectors would certainly complain.. As with Winnie I run B5 / Diesel whateverand quite honestly do not notice any difference. I agree with the others that you got some bad fuel either with high contaminants or very old fuel witht he lighter components evaporated off. Either that or they have the wrong fuel in the wrong tank.

Well a 16 year old Nissan I sold recently certainly had one, I had a adapter for it to connect a laptop to read fault codes etc.

A couple of thoughts:

1. I'd be surprised if changing to regular diesel, and the onset of engine trouble, was anything other than coincidence.

2. Could be bad fuel, as others have suggested.

3. You also say you were "very low" on diesel when you filled up. If there was any sediment at the bottom of your eight-year-old fuel tank, and as you were running close to empty, some of that sediment may have been stirred up and clogged the fuel filter (if you have one) and caused the hiccuping you describe. Fuel starvation, in other words.

4. Or the gunge in your tank may have got past the filter and into your carburetor or fuel injection system.

If I were you I'd empty my fuel tank and put in a fresh load, as a first step. See if that cures it. (I'd also make a mental note to fill up whenever I'm down to about a quarter-tank.)

If that doesn't fix it, you're going to have to investigate further.

Last year my 7 year old Isuzu D-Max's Engine computer chip got fried. I sputtered into the Isuzu dealer, dieing many times along the way. They replaced the chip and asked me if I was running B-5 in it. I replied in the affirmative, was admonished never to do so again and I haven't with no problems since.

I agree with everyone else you got a bad fill of fuel, the same has happened to me and I filled up twice more, added a fuel system cleaner additive from Tesco Lotus and change the fuel filter. Presto, back to normal. B5 is diesel with 5% palm oil in Thailand which is minor cleaner burning fuel but strait diesel should give you more power.

Edited by gosompoi

Last year my 7 year old Isuzu D-Max's Engine computer chip got fried. I sputtered into the Isuzu dealer, dieing many times along the way. They replaced the chip and asked me if I was running B-5 in it. I replied in the affirmative, was admonished never to do so again and I haven't with no problems since.

Fuel can fry a computer chip?

I've been using the stuff for years to no ill effect on somewhat older trucks. (One of them with the same engine as in a 7 year old D-Max.).

3. You also say you were "very low" on diesel when you filled up. If there was any sediment at the bottom of your eight-year-old fuel tank, and as you were running close to empty, some of that sediment may have been stirred up and clogged the fuel filter (if you have one) and caused the hiccuping you describe. Fuel starvation, in other words.

4. Or the gunge in your tank may have got past the filter and into your carburetor or fuel injection system.

I think this may be the culprit. The engine cut out after nearly 2 hours of climbing and descending on the way to Pai. Perhaps all this stirred up muck in the tank ... Thanks for the info.

Fuel can fry a computer chip?

I've been using the stuff for years to no ill effect on somewhat older trucks. (One of them with the same engine as in a 7 year old D-Max.).

I was using it for years too. Ever since its introduction. I will say this however, aside from the "feel good" aspect of using a renewable resource as opposed to one wars are fought over, the biodiesel got about 10% lower km/l in fuel economy and at least 10% less power when I stepped on the pedal. I don't miss it.