Phuket Wan'S Editor

SamKong

The Phuket Wan is a quality publication. The stories are hard-hitting and cover some topics other English-language publications won't touch. It broke the Rohingya story last year and for the most part, the online publication adds value to Phuket as a source of news.

Seeing that so many of Phuket's ex-pats have expressed their satisfaction with the publication, and the fact that the Wan has won a few awards, why does the Wan's editor regularly respond to readers' comments with such disdain? In particular, he seems to take umbrage with any challenge to his editorials skills--no matter how remote.

If you don't know what I'm referring to, just go to the site and randomly select three stories that have been on the site for a week or more. I'd guess that in at least one of those stories you'll find an editor's comment that displays a true lack of professionalism. Many replies read as real challenges that practically bait the respondent to come back for more abuse. I also assert that the more exposure you have to the editor's comments, you more insults you'll see. Often times, the first few ideas are harmless but they're then sullied with a parting insult or immature comment.

I just don't understand how a man in his position justifies the type of abuse, borderline vitriol, that he dishes out on a weekly basis. Why not just let the comments stand and go ignored? Surly readers can make up their own minds as to the merits of comments made. It's almost enough to turn me off the publication. Am I the only one?

Agreed.. Alan loses the plot with the comments. They publish great (if fact sloppy in their haste) articles and seem to be most on the pulse with the news.. But his actions in posting are very unprofessional.

They also edit comment responses prior to posting to the extent that the comment has a different bias or tone than posted, for no other reason than they dont agree with them. They really sure have a clear moderation policy and stick to it as currently its purely on whatever whim or mood of the moment is in play.

In fairness to the editor, many of the comments are childish and downright stupid. The editing often removes poor grammar and introduces some coherency to comments made by people with a screw or two loose. yes, he can be a bit rough at times, but that's his right. Phuketwan does not hold itself out to be a newspaper. The editor makes that statement regularly and yet people still carry on as if it was a newspaper and not a real estate industry focused publication.

The comments are unprofessional and the stories 1 sided

Yes, I agree. My wife and I don't read it anymore, not because of the arrogance of the editor's comments, but because too much of his "news" is either factually incorrect or twisted to fit his (unsolicited) opinions. And you get the feeling there's an editorial agenda behind many of the stories, straight-up flattery of the police and the governor's office, and, often, bitterness toward people not in a position to buy advertising on the website. The sensationalized headlines also turn me off. When you read the story, there's nothing sensational in it at all!

Agree completely. I stopped reading a while ago. The editor's comments were childish and often insulting. Seems a strange way to do business - to argue with and belittle your readers.

To be fair the website did one good story, about the Rohingya boat people. That seems a long time ago. Such a shame, Phuket would only benefit from a reasonable news source.

PLAY OF THE DAY

Thai Visa is actually running a forum based on the responses to Comments at Phuketwan, which only goes to show how independent journalism can eventually penetrate even the most dimly lit corners of public

...from their site.

If I were you I'd go down there and <deleted> him George.

(Of course I'm joking- before he puts that on his ragsite as a quote showing what animals all non Phuket residents are or something, maybe worse; ALL TV MEMBERS ARE TOSSEND ANIMAL SAVAGES SHOCK HORROR!!!!!!!).EDIT: Removed the excess smelly HTML from their site. tongue.gif

PLAY OF THE DAY

Thai Visa is actually running a forum based on the responses to Comments at Phuketwan, which only goes to show how independent journalism can eventually penetrate even the most dimly lit corners of public

He doesn't take criticism very well. He's a very sensitive chap.

In fairness to the editor, many of the comments are childish and downright stupid. The editing often removes poor grammar and introduces some coherency to comments made by people with a screw or two loose. yes, he can be a bit rough at times, but that's his right. Phuketwan does not hold itself out to be a newspaper. The editor makes that statement regularly and yet people still carry on as if it was a newspaper and not a real estate industry focused publication.

am i wrong or does this read as an attempt to justify what most people probably consider to be immature, unprofessional and angry behavior?

fixing grammar and making comments readable is one thing. fine, go for it. but no one ever said the editor has no right to be abrasive, only that it's not a good idea for someone in his position to be so cantankerous. also, no one called it a "newspaper". exactly what does that have to do with the assertion that the editor makes some seriously flawed decisions when he insults his own readers? the PW is an online media outlet. i wonder if the editor holds on to this odd differentiation when he's accepting his professional awards?

the wording of PW's 'play of the day' is awfully convenient. as stated, "thai visa is running" this or that. no, one person is--an independent ex-pat interested in hearing others' opinions. thus far, it seems as if i'm definitely not the only person who thinks the editor's behavior is detrimental to his own publication.

looks like the editor is comfortable responding when he controls the buttons but when it's an open forum, he won't address the issue directly.

Edited by SamKong

Agree completely. I stopped reading a while ago. The editor's comments were childish and often insulting. Seems a strange way to do business - to argue with and belittle your readers.

To be fair the website did one good story, about the Rohingya boat people. That seems a long time ago. Such a shame, Phuket would only benefit from a reasonable news source.

Yup, me too. Somebody called it a "ragsite", by which I guess he means an electronic tabloid, which describes it perfectly. They rarely let the facts get in the way of a good story LOL. But unlike printed tabloids, phuketwan is a one-man band and has kind of burned out. For local news, I read the gazette, which is more professional and has improved a lot in recent months. And for Thai news I sort of alternate between the bangkok post and the nation.

Thought we weren't allowed to mention that place?

The rule for it is below, so no quotes or links: Not sure though how long this topic will last as it appears to be an attack on a person/business. Will let the Phuket mods decide as they know the issues better.

31) All members are not allowed to quote news articles or material from bangkokpost.com or phuketwan inside topics on thaivisa.com. Posts containing quotes will be deleted from the forum. Links referring back to the sites are also not allowed and will be deleted.

ever meet Alan in person? want to bet he is a pussy when facing anyone , and gets off being a pompous twit in his replies since he is not facing the person he is demeaning ?

I believe that is enough inflammatory comments about an individual.

//Closed//