Government Warnings For Time Share

teslawasrobbed

I wonder if it's a case of too little -- too late.

After facing such unpleasant people and so many rip-off prices/scams during my last visit there, I swore I'd never return.

I guess I assumed that nothing would ever change there because the greed and unfriendliness seemed to be so deeply ingrained in the business community in Phuket. Are those of you who live there truly optimistic about things changing enough to repair its very badly tarnished reputation?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeshare/Fractional Ownership companies dont employ 'touts'..........forget the bad image of Tenerife 20 years ago......all OPCs and Reps have work permits so are working legally....if a customer buys 25 years of holidays in Phuket isnt that a good thing for the economy.........A lack of knowledge combined with a little jealousy I think is why most residents with tin pot businesses resent these guys for earning a decent wage

You really believe that ALL OPCs and Reps have work permits?? Yes, some of the long timers might have, but all the many newbies start on day one arrival in Thailand and it's impossible to obtain a Work Permit for quite a few weeks.

The reason there is no signs up warning against Tuk Tuks and jet ski operators is because they will pull the banners down in a matter of minutes, the timeshare touts will not do this. Also timeshare touts cant shut the whole of Patong down like the Tuk Tuk drivers can (and probably the jet ski operators). The mayor is simply trying to eliminate the easiest of Patong's problems, not necessarily the biggest problems.

Although im in favor of ridding the Patong streets of timeshare touts I find the banners a very poor way of doing it, scaremongering tourists into staying away is not the answer. This is clearly directed towards the touts as it is the touts that contribute the most towards the islands negative image of the industry. Why have a sign scaring tourists into not going on a timeshare presentation, when all the authorities need to do is go to the timeshare companies and say enough is enough, no more touts ? They know where all the offices are, its not like they are hiding in back streets. Inform the timeshare companies that they can stay open, but they are not able to employ the tactics of touts, as this is there only way of being able to find clients they will not survive, the legitimate ones will remain, the bogus ones will be gone. Easy !

The mayor himself has already indicated in a recent press release that there are legitimate companies in Phuket that do not use touts, so its quite simple, get rid of the companies that use touts !

Good, small start. When will the touts be checked for workpermits? Answer is easy.

Timeshare/Fractional Ownership companies dont employ 'touts'..........forget the bad image of Tenerife 20 years ago......all OPCs and Reps have work permits so are working legally....if a customer buys 25 years of holidays in Phuket isnt that a good thing for the economy.........A lack of knowledge combined with a little jealousy I think is why most residents with tin pot businesses resent these guys for earning a decent wage

You must be joking saying TS/FO companies do not employ touts and there reps have work permits.

Sounds like you are in the business to me :whistling:

I find it a bit strange that the Govt / Authorities would need to warn tourists about a potential scam on their shores? Why not just shut them down if they are doing something illegal?

Not a fan of Timeshare salespeople myself but if they were going to take the time to warn people visiting Phuket about scams shouldnt it start with...

1) Jetskies

2) TukTuks

3) Tailors

4)...... fill in yours here.

Good, small start. When will the touts be checked for workpermits? Answer is easy.

You must be joking saying TS/FO companies do not employ touts and there reps have work permits.

Sounds like you are in the business to me :whistling:

Exactly.

We get uptownbob, lovinglife and ESB7 in a matter of minutes defending the touts.

It's no coincidence.rolleyes.gif

I find it a bit strange that the Govt / Authorities would need to warn tourists about a potential scam on their shores? Why not just shut them down if they are doing something illegal?

Not a fan of Timeshare salespeople myself but if they were going to take the time to warn people visiting Phuket about scams shouldnt it start with...

1) Jetskies

2) TukTuks

3) Tailors

4)...... fill in yours here.

It's about money.

On phuketwan, one of the officials said that the timeshare takes 800 million baht out of Thailand a year.

They just want there slice.

Over the years some of the more doubious timeshare organisations have been shut down and employees arrested, after complaints were registered to the police by buyers who later found that their 'week' did not really exist.

Exactly.

We get uptownbob, lovinglife and ESB7 in a matter of minutes defending the touts.

It's no coincidence.rolleyes.gif

Wrong! I live in Hua Hin, (nothing to do with timeshare), and only visit for a holiday when I do a visa run.

You can apologise if you like.

I owned a timeshare in Portugal from 1986 -1995, one of the best purchases I ever made! Sold it when I split with the missus. Just because we don't agree with your point of view doesn't mean we have a vested interest.

Let me guess "now is the time to buy"? Ive never heard a real estate agent say "now isnt the time to buy"anyone who defends these idiots on thaivisa would have to be involved in the shonky real estate industry here. Time share and real estate agents go hand in hand. There should be a big sign at Phuket airport in Russian, English and Chinese saying "Foreigners cannot own land in Thailand, and if you buy a bargirl a house you deserve to be ripped off" ect ect jap.gif

@ lovinlife.

So you base your opinion on the Phuket touts on what?

A holiday?

Try living here, being asked 3 times within 50 metres as i leave the beach or i'm told to piss off because i won't acknowledge there existence.

Constant harassment from rude and pushy thugs that make the place unbearable for everyone.

"a good thing for the economy"? the money goes straight out of the country! "lack of knowledge"...we all know its a scam! "jelousy"...I work offshore so I get a decent wage...I wouldnt get out of bed for the salary that those muppets on motorbikes get per day. And as for the owners of timeshare companies they are scammers and i hope they rot in a thai jail.

Edited by snamos

Here in the area (Kata) none of the timeshare touts has a workpermit.

I would not mind them selling timeshares at all, if they were honest about what they are selling. If they did that though they would not sell. The problem is they really trap people.

I heard about some interesting development - famous holidays timeshare company (Absolute) has taken over the property management service of Coconut Island (well advertised property on one of east coast islands).

I assume their maintanance costs will go up very soon...

Anyone silly enough to buy from street touts without proper office premises and having the legal agreements sorted by lawyers needs their heads era door deserve to lose. But is it just one of hundreds of shitty deals going in Phuket (Thailand!). Thailand - not for the 'feint' (not faint for all of you who are a bit slow) hearted LOL. ph34r.gif

I know an ex timeshare tout. She's Thai.

Going back 11 years ago when she started, if she was seen touting by a municipal officer or a cop, she would be given a ticket and be taken to the municipal office or police station and pay a 500 Baht fine. This was paid for by the timeshare company. On average, she reckons she was fined two to three times a week. There was an unwritten rule that they wouldn't be fined more than three times a week.

Over time the system evolved and it ended up that the officers would simply nod at her; she knew most of their names by this time and the relationship was friendly. The nod meant she was to go, under her own steam, to the relevant office and pay the fine which, by the way, jumped to 1000 Baht after a couple of years.

Then, after a few more years, according to her, a deal was struck between the municipal bosses, the police and the timeshare company which involved a fixed monthly fee being paid. This meant an end to the individual fines being paid. A much simpler and cleaner way to do business, eh?

Now, based on the appearance of these municipal backed billboards, it seems like there's been a major fall out.

It'll be interesting to see what transpires.

Will we see the touts on the news re-enacting the crime?

I would not mind them selling timeshares at all, if they were honest about what they are selling. If they did that though they would not sell. The problem is they really trap people.

What you are saying is not true. Actually most opcs in kata have work permits, just the newcomers dont have them. so your statment is wrong! i know this because i work in kata as an opc and i have a workpermit as do my collegues.

as many times as I have heard the various arguments in favor of owning a time share, it still does not seem to make sense money wise compared to planning and paying for a vacation when and where I want.

the initial cost and fees ( lots of fees it seems after the deal is made) add up to more than not using the time share.

anyone else come to this conclusion ?

as many times as I have heard the various arguments in favor of owning a time share, it still does not seem to make sense money wise compared to planning and paying for a vacation when and where I want.

the initial cost and fees ( lots of fees it seems after the deal is made) add up to more than not using the time share.

anyone else come to this conclusion ?

I'm assuming that you own or have owned a timeshare before for you to come to your conclusion ?

Going from your words "it does not seem to make sense" tells me that you have never owned one, so you can't really claim to have come to a conclusion can you ?

The reality is there are millions of people around the world who own timeshare and are happy with it. As I mentioned in my last post, this is all about the touts who are bigger scum bags as tuk tuk drivers and jet ski operators put together !!

We were in Bali recently, and we were asked to fill out a form on tourism.

The next day i got a phone call at the hotel saying i had won second prize in a contest i had not entered.

It was another time share scam and i told them so.

Why pay a high price for something that is expensive when you find out the extra charges.

You are better of booking your holidays yourself where and when you want then at a much better price

What you are saying is not true. Actually most opcs in kata have work permits, just the newcomers dont have them. so your statment is wrong! i know this because i work in kata as an opc and i have a workpermit as do my collegues.

Everytime i ask them about this they simply deny having a wp or needing one. But as suspected, you're not denying the 'entrapment'. How can you look in the mirror knowing you're scamming people into something they don't want day in and day out?

Edited by stevenl

Well, as I just pointed out on the other web site, good luck if you want to contact the Phuket authorities if you're having a problem with timeshare touts.

The 2 email addresses that are displayed on the signs as contact addresses are ficticious! Your email to them comes bouncing back within a few seconds :)

Simon

We were in Bali recently, and we were asked to fill out a form on tourism.

The next day i got a phone call at the hotel saying i had won second prize in a contest i had not entered.

It was another time share scam and i told them so.

Why pay a high price for something that is expensive when you find out the extra charges.

You are better of booking your holidays yourself where and when you want then at a much better price

Yet another expert who knows the benefits and the costs associated with owning a timeshare, without actually owning one..

So you knew that the timeshare company calling you in Bali was a scam, just by talking to someone over the phone for few a seconds ? As it appears that the email address on the Phuket signs is fake, why don't you volunteer and give them your email address and tel number ? You seem like you could really help a lot of people and save them a lot of trouble with your 1st hand experiences !