Pulled Over At Police Check Point And Told To....

Richb2004v2

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As I understood it: It's illegal to driver here without a Shirt on. It's also illegal to drive here without footwear.

The reasons being: In the event of an accident footwear and a shirt offer some protection against seatbelt burn and broken glass.

The fact that other people don't wear their seat belts, or ride around shirtless does not change the law - others are simply breaking a law seldom enforced.

There is a social side which many members have pointed out - It's hardly in the best of taste or respectful and rather ignorant to go around shirtless in any country.

For those with common decency, common sense, respect for others and general good manners knowing how and where to dress appropriately doesn't require second thought (Even in a car, you are still out in public and not on a beach).

In relation to another running thread about Westerners being thought of as second class citizens in Thailand - This thread is just another example of why many Thai's may think so. After all, if I see someone driving their car without their shirt on I draw my conclusions which aren't exactly complimentary.

Edited by richard_smith237

They make us all look bad.

But in your very next paragraph you were considering starting a fight in immi mate. biggrin.gif

Oh, come on! You really couldn't see that I was just trying to be funny? This is such an up tight forum -- not much humour here, is there?

I really had no intention of Bang --- Wham --- Knee to the Groin, especially at an embassy.

Lighten up, buddy!

Edited by Wavefloater

I always see some tourists around town, shirtless and grinning ear to ear as if the local should all throw down their shirt for him to walk on.

I was having my McD breafast this morning, and this good looking bloke with a light backpack steps up to the front door, hesitates, then took about 5 steps to the side, opened his pack, outed a roll and proceeded to lift his shirt up and put some under his armpits. I managed to struggle to get my chow down while the Thai crowd all looked at the nearest wall. This happened on Chidlom, will heavy foot traffic.

I wouldn't dream of walking around shirtless or even wander around with a football top, and only occasionally a vest. I do however sometimes drive short distances shirtless if I am a little hot and don't want to put my clean shirt on top of a sweaty body. I put the shirt on once I've cooled down via the car AC, after ten or fifteen minutes. Also I am in no way fat. I work out three times a week and run 30-50km per week. And I'm probably younger than most of you. However I don't see that my physic really matters. Even if fat the absence of a T-shirt is unlikely to effect my driving. Anyway I guess we can now confirm there are two laws actually upheld in Thailand, driving while shirtless and Les Majeste. :D Has anyone been stopped for anything more ridiculous?

I think this is somewhat better than walking around in a stinky shirt and offending all who pass you with a wiffy odor. But in this case why not take a second shirt with you.

Physique perhaps does matter a little - You a probably significantly less offensive to look at when shirtless compared to most Westerners we see walking around shirtless - however, us prudes still consider 'shirtlessness' anywhere other than the beach or pool poor form.

But in your very next paragraph you were considering starting a fight in immi mate. biggrin.gif

Oh, come on! You really couldn't see that I was just trying to be funny? This is such an up tight forum -- not much humour here, is there?

I really had no intention of Bang --- Wham --- Knee to the Groin, especially at an embassy.

Lighten up, buddy!

Notice my use of the " grin" emoticon. If I wasn't gently taking the piss I wouldn't have used it. :D

The policeman was perfectly correct.It's not an excuse to say rural Thais ride around shirtless on motorbikes (I have never seen a shirtless Thai ride around in a car).

It's symptomatic of a large number of generally lower class foreigners who ,while mainly failures by the standards of their original countries ,have more money than the average rural Thai.They talk about their Thai "families" but have not the remotest understanding of Thai culture except the bar world where in general they met their partners.I have met countless rural school teachers, policeman and civil servants who while having little money make an enormous effort to look presentable, clean and tidy.Of course a fat vulgar half naked foreigner driving a car with his "family" is going to offend and upset.It's mainly a question of good manners , a point I would have thought even these knuckle dragging proles might understand - apparently not.

How right you are. Thais don't like public nudity even if it is just a shirt. Have numerous times advised falangs going about shirtless or with skimpy bikini type tops that it is inappropriate. Can understand tourists doing it, they don't know any better, but those of us who have been here for some time and don't realise that it is offensive should be ashamed of themselves.

The cop was right; don't be a slob, put something on! Even the lowest of the low in Muang Thai at least wear a vest when driving. If you're hot, turn down the aircon or just stay at home if you don't like covering yourself up. Although you were at least in your car, it pisses me off when farang amble around shirtless away from the beach - even if you have no self respect, at least have some respect for the natives and your family. Aren't you at least embarrassed for them?

I second that, the only place for no tee shirt, is on the beach, a lot of western slobs around.

Have been living in Thailand for nearly 24 years now.

Have seen the reputation of us " farangs" seen plummeting ever since.

OP did get of without having to pay a fine whilst being on the wrong side of the law for 2 instances, i.e. no driving license and driving shirtless. .

Still he finds reason to try and ridicule Thai society.

What more can I say ?

Yermanee

I wouldn't dream of walking around shirtless or even wander around with a football top, and only occasionally a vest. I do however sometimes drive short distances shirtless if I am a little hot and don't want to put my clean shirt on top of a sweaty body. I put the shirt on once I've cooled down via the car AC, after ten or fifteen minutes. Also I am in no way fat. I work out three times a week and run 30-50km per week. And I'm probably younger than most of you. However I don't see that my physic really matters. Even if fat the absence of a T-shirt is unlikely to effect my driving. Anyway I guess we can now confirm there are two laws actually upheld in Thailand, driving while shirtless and Les Majeste. biggrin.gif Has anyone been stopped for anything more ridiculous?

I think this is somewhat better than walking around in a stinky shirt and offending all who pass you with a wiffy odor. But in this case why not take a second shirt with you.

Physique perhaps does matter a little - You a probably significantly less offensive to look at when shirtless compared to most Westerners we see walking around shirtless - however, us prudes still consider 'shirtlessness' anywhere other than the beach or pool poor form.

Thanks! You just reminded me that what we really need is the BO Police. I don't know how many times I've been shopping in Carrefour or some similar place and have been greeted with someone's strong body odour as they pass by. I'm seriously curious, do these people not know just how ripe they smell?

Lighten up, buddy!

Notice my use of the " grin" emoticon. If I wasn't gently taking the piss I wouldn't have used it. biggrin.gif

No!

And I still don't see it or even the old symbolic one -- you know, like this --> smile.gif

Perhaps there's something wrong with my monitor.

NOTE: Well that is strange. When I put a colon followed by a right parentheses nothing appears -- no grin emoticon or the symbols. Wonder why????

Edited by Wavefloater

Can you see these mate?

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif :

After your question and about 3 lines down I only see a full colon -- nothing else.

I use a script block (that is currently blocking a total of 14 extra scripts attached to this page). Perhaps it has something to do with that.

Edited by Wavefloater

You should have seen a line of smilies.

Maybe this is it?

Go to " My settings " at the top of the page next to your name.

Click on " Forums "

Make sure the " View images in posts, such as smilies and posted images? " box is ticked.

You should have seen a line of smilies.

Maybe this is it?

Go to " My settings " at the top of the page next to your name.

Click on " Forums "

Make sure the " View images in posts, such as smilies and posted images? " box is ticked.

The "view images..." box is ticked, so perhaps it's the Noscript plug-in for FF.

Didn't know this was happening, so for now on I'll assume that people are taking the piss out of me rather than being serious.

Thanks for your help.

Thais DO expect farangs to be better than them so being respectable in dress is expected. So if confronted by a cop, especially an officer, which can happen any day, then one should be dressed to show respect and get respect otherwise it will upset. The beach is different.

My mrs won't let me out to town in shorts :huh:, says not respectable for farang.

I wouldn't dream of walking around shirtless or even wander around with a football top, and only occasionally a vest. I do however sometimes drive short distances shirtless if I am a little hot and don't want to put my clean shirt on top of a sweaty body. I put the shirt on once I've cooled down via the car AC, after ten or fifteen minutes. Also I am in no way fat. I work out three times a week and run 30-50km per week. And I'm probably younger than most of you. However I don't see that my physic really matters. Even if fat the absence of a T-shirt is unlikely to effect my driving. Anyway I guess we can now confirm there are two laws actually upheld in Thailand, driving while shirtless and Les Majeste. :D Has anyone been stopped for anything more ridiculous?

You are the only one who thinks its ridiculous, we all think YOU are ridiculous, and offensive. Wear a dam_n shirt!

What a headline; "Fat (most likely) white guy driving a car in a foreign country without a license is told by cops he should wear a shirt"

You are lucky you are in Thailand, in most places you would be looking at the walls of a jail cell while you sorted out your driving w/out a licence problem; a somewhat serious offense in most countries. B)

In most places you get put in jail for not having your driving license on you whilst driving?! Really? Care to name a few of these "most places"?

The United States of America for one, driving w/out proof of a valid licence is completely illegal, what...you think if you get pulled over and just tell the cops "I have a license but not with me, nor do I have any picture ID but my name is....."

Do you really think the cops are going to do all the work to help YOU prove who you really say you are? No, you go to jail untill you get it sorted out and are still charged with driving w/out proof of a license.

Please tell me how it works in your home country.

What a headline; "Fat (most likely) white guy driving a car in a foreign country without a license is told by cops he should wear a shirt"

You are lucky you are in Thailand, in most places you would be looking at the walls of a jail cell while you sorted out your driving w/out a licence problem; a somewhat serious offense in most countries. B)

In most places you get put in jail for not having your driving license on you whilst driving?! Really? Care to name a few of these "most places"?

Certainly not here in the UK, worst case you'll get what's called a 'producer' a notice to report to a police station within a certain time frame (24 hours? not sure) and show licence and insurance, but this has been phased out due to the fact that all your information can be seen by the police just by running your number plate details through their computer system. You don't need to show them anything.

Ok, may be the case there, seems unlikely to me though. Let me ask you this then; what happens if the person being pulled over has an international license, how would that come up on the computer?

Also, I just don't believe you that it is that simple. So if I am ever in the UK and get pulled over, when the cop asks to see my license I will just tell him to piss off and go look it up himself. Hmmmm..........

I have seen many people here Thai and Foreigner drive motor bikes and Bicycle on the road with no shirt, also with no helmet. Yes the law is not always enforced. Now when your driving a private car with tinted windows who are you offending? No one can see you.The op was unlucky that he was stopped at a police check point. I did not know there was a law against driving without a shirt so may be the op did not know. We all know its not polite to go out in public places without a shirt but you have to give the op a break it was in his private car we all make mistakes. The policeman was correct to ask him to put on a shirt as he was breaking Thai law and let him off with not having a license so he was very fair. But who apart from the policeman was he offending?

Regards

Scotsman

Also, I just don't believe you that it is that simple. So if I am ever in the UK and get pulled over, when the cop asks to see my license I will just tell him to piss off and go look it up himself. Hmmmm..........

well if you do that you're almost certain to see the inside of a cell!

I too can vouch that not carrying and/or producing a license in most Australian states will result in an infringement notice, at the very worst you may be taken back to the police station to verify your identity, but it rarely comes to that. Of course police aren't going to lock you up JUST for not carrying your license! Being unlicensed is an entirely different matter.

Politeness is the secret formula!

Let's figure the copper, just couldn't imagine that there is money for a 1 + Mill Baht car... but no money for a shirt... :lol:

Thai, specially the "better off's" have difficulties to understand western "casual" attitude, unless they are somewhat "westernized" themselves, or at least educated abroad!

Right now they are fixed on these terms of proper attire, conservative, trying to stand out from the peasantry

of just a cloth wrapped around the hips and often no shirt.... it's only difficult to understand if one makes it difficult.

Proper attire is meant to be: shirt, best if long sleeves, specially if in business or official, shirt inside the pants, pants long, socks and shoes... even some wear white socks to black pants.. which is a sacrilege, but then...

I remember too well the times in Australia, laid back place, surf compitions held there annually,

Bell's Beach, a "cafe" crowded with surfies.... a sign on the wall OUTSide the venue said:

"No Shoes, No Shirt = No Food, no Drink!"

In a pub in New South Wales' diary country "NO spitting!"

but the no shoes, no shirt sign was rather often seen...

Edited by Samuian