Rabies

alobar

There I was minding my own business....riding my bicycle on an unlit road in Mae Sot last night, when out of nowhere, a street dog (presumably) darted out and sunk it's teeth into my ankle. It was too dark, as well as too quick, to see if it had a collar or any other 'mind at rest' features, so I shot back to CM today to get my first of 5 rabies shots; as well as tetanus, antibiotics.

Could have happened anywhere really, but it didn't. I think I would have been less inclined to have medical concerns if it had happened in CM instead of the Burma border, which it nearly has many a time here.

Wondering if anyone knows the stats on rabies, or is it just a wise course of action to get treated? What about prophylactic vaccines in an endemic area with aggressive dogs?

Last year in Chiang Mai my wife was scratched by the neighbours cat on her left big toe. The following day it swelled up pretty good so to the hospital she went. Took her to Chiang Mai Ram with the tetanus and five shoots treatment about 5000 baht. Had we gone to the hospital where we live (Doi Saket) government about 1000 baht.

I'd be inclined to have concerns anywhere here, collar or not I can't quote numbers but rabies stats are high... Good luck with those had them myself last year for a cat bite, my own kitten who bit me out of fear after a scrape with a stray male that came through our screen to get him.

Not knowing how much contact he had with the stray before I stepped in that when he bit me out of fright I decide best not to take a chance with something that serious..

JFYI the longer you wait the more serious and the more expensive as after 24 hours you need to get shots in the region of the bite too and it is VERY expensive I was quoted upwards of 30,000b..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I haven't been able to find reliable stats, but I've heard and read from multiple sources that a lot of stray dogs (and presumably other animals) in Thailand have rabies, not just in the border areas but in the cities as well. You did the smart thing getting prompt medical attention, once the disease is established there is no cure and death by rabies is very unpleasant.

I just finished my 5th of the series of 5 rabies shots last week.... I had a stray cat, very kind, that's been coming around my house for the past 6 months and I started feeding him.... He's a good ole guy up until the day I was washing my car and for no reason at all he came up to me rubbed against my leg as usual then proceeded to take a nice bite out of it and ran off.... It drew blood and since I really knew little about him other than he seemed kind for the past 6 months I decided to go to Ram I hospital and get the shots... I started the day of the incident (shot #1), then 3 days later (#2), then 1 week (#3), then 2 weeks (#4), and the last (#5) at a month after the first. I also got the tetanus (same day as #1 rabies) with a booster last week (1 month later) and then a second booster in 6 months (If I recall, I need to check my little schedule book to be sure, it could be 3 months).

All in all the costs will be approximately 6-7k baht...... But I'd rather be safe than sorry and Warpspeed is correct, if you wait and the animal does have rabies the other shot will cost 30k baht and upwards..... I was told that the vaccine (5 shot process) would be okay unless the animal dies within 10 days and if that would occur then you would need the expensive (30k) shot (immunoglobulin).... I watched the cat that bit me for two weeks afterwards as he always came around. Needless to say I was a little 'gun shy' at being his friend but hey it was nice to see he was still alive and not foaming at the mouth. After about that two week period I have yet to see that cat again nor the other one that used to come around. Wondering what happened to them but I feel much better that he lived past 2 weeks for sure, I got the shots that are good for 6 months, and he's not around anymore to possibly bite me again.

So much for saying, 'Don't bite the hand that feeds you.'

BTW, I did some research on Google for rabies and Thailand the day I got bit and it was enough to make me go get the shot immediately... Don't recall the numbers but just think about how many Thais do you really think vaccinate their so-called pets.... I really wonder if their children get the proper vaccinations.whistling.gif

They were running a free vaccination programme (for dogs, that is) here in Nong Hoi about a month ago. I don't know how many people took advantage of it but it's a welcome step.

...and I recall years ago in BKK where I read that a Thai vet was going around vaccinating numerous strays using a blow dart gun.

Like dingdongrb I was bitten by a nice cat I was feeding for a few weeks, then one day it savaged me very badly, one week later the cat was found dead outside my wall. As I already had a full course of shots from being bitten by my other cats I just had to have a booster, no big deal and not expensive, get the shots for peace of mind.

i too had an encounter with a soi dog but my skin was not broken that you could see. for piece of mind i decided to do the shots of which i had 3. i had waited a week before going to the hospital and the thinking was if the dog was still alive after 2 weeks from the incident rabies was highly unlikely. fortunately i saw the dog alive (and it still is).

i think each shot cost me about 700b

I had the shots about a year ago - better safe than sorry - but I do not really think that many dogs are infected. After a while you get to know the dog population around your village and I have never become aware of any of our local dogs coming down with rabies symptoms. When I was young I was always told that there is no worse regimen than getting rabies treatments but they have obviously made great strides. I found the treatments a piece of cake as well as inexpensive at our local hospital. The dog that bit me quickly disappeared before he could be tested as the owner wanted to be able to say "what dog?" TIT

post-116788-0-96791000-1298444658_thumb.

just a reminder for everyone that the 5 shots treatment only lasts 2 or 3 years - if you get bitten again after that, you need to start over.

I was told the 5 shot treatment I received was good for only 6 months.... (Perhaps longer if additional boosters are provided???? Unsure and have no concern unless I'm bitten again annoyed.gif )

And yes, BuckarooBanzai..... I recall when I was a youngster that the treatment then was something crazy like 10 shots in the belly button... ohmy.gif (So the rumor was)

According to the Health Minister, 15 people died of rabies in all of Thailand in 2010.

and 9 in 2008 and I think 24 in 2009 according to a 'well known Bangkok newspaper'. So out of the 61 million (give or take a few of us) it is pretty good odds on not getting it but yes take every precaution you can if bitten by any animal you are not familiar with him/her.

Anyone out there who has a pet dog, cat or whatever make sure yours has given been a rabies jab...

In 1971 in Mexico I was bitten by a dog that died 8 days later. The vet holding him had the head / brain tested by the government lab in Mexico City and it was positive for rabies. I started the shots on the 9th day, along with 8 other neighbors and the vet who was also bit by this mutt.

At that time it was 14 shots, one each following day, and they gave it to you in your abdominal muscles (not belly button) cause it was about 3 cc and needed a large muscle to be absorbed into. The serum was extremely painful and burned for ten minutes. You couldn't move for several minutes - it was excruciating and took your breath away. Many of the people receiving the shots screamed as did I the first time. I will never forget this.

I understand the new serum does not burn like the old one. You are very fortunate not to be facing what I endured way back when. I have talked to others that have gotten the new shots and they all say it's a piece of cake.

Also, for those of you who don't have insurance to cover, don't run to RAM hospital for this. You are being grossly overcharged and this is not a complicated or high tech procedure. Go to a local Thai hospital or Soon Sri Phat ศุนย์ศรีพัฒน์ in Chiang Mai with a Thai friend if you can't speak Thai. A small amount of homework will save you over 20,000 baht.

Sorry for anyone's plight who has been in this situation.

Katmanpu

Edited by Katmanpu

My cat is vaccinated against rabies over a month ago. Yesterday he got scratched (not bitten I think) by a stray neighborhood cat. Should I be concerned if my cat scratches or nips me sometime in the future?

No, but you should take your friend in to verify if he needs his booster shots. Hopefully, he's had his other shots as there are a few other deadly diseases out there that can cause illness in furry companions.

Back in the day,when I was out in the bush, I was required to have an annual rabies vaccine. 3 injections. The benefi was that it would save on having to undergo the whole series if exposed and it would also buy some time until I could obtain access to medical care. I wouldn't worry about a scratch on the cat for rabies. More of a worry for a skin infection if the wound is not cleaned. On a plus side, when they recommend vaccines it's bell curved to take into account that vaccines work on people and critters differently with some subjects having long term antibodies, while others lose those antibodies quickly.

My cat is vaccinated against rabies over a month ago. Yesterday he got scratched (not bitten I think) by a stray neighborhood cat. Should I be concerned if my cat scratches or nips me sometime in the future?

No, but you should take your friend in to verify if he needs his booster shots. Hopefully, he's had his other shots as there are a few other deadly diseases out there that can cause illness in furry companions.

Back in the day,when I was out in the bush, I was required to have an annual rabies vaccine. 3 injections. The benefi was that it would save on having to undergo the whole series if exposed and it would also buy some time until I could obtain access to medical care. I wouldn't worry about a scratch on the cat for rabies. More of a worry for a skin infection if the wound is not cleaned. On a plus side, when they recommend vaccines it's bell curved to take into account that vaccines work on people and critters differently with some subjects having long term antibodies, while others lose those antibodies quickly.

He had his shots just over a month ago, together with the other standard vaccinations, so I think he should be alright. Anyway I'll keep an eye on him and his wound (could be a bite for all I know).

I wonder whether its common practice for pet owners to get rabies vaccination, for themselves, in Thailand? Or pracfically speaking, we only need worry about such things only when bitten?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been able to find reliable stats, but I've heard and read from multiple sources that a lot of stray dogs (and presumably other animals) in Thailand have rabies, not just in the border areas but in the cities as well. You did the smart thing getting prompt medical attention, once the disease is established there is no cure and death by rabies is very unpleasant.

I got attacked by a cat 2 yrs ago, went to the hospital, got the shots, and came away some new info. There is a reason why all hospitals stock Rabies vaccine. Its very common disease here. Very few people vaccinate their animals every year, and no one goes around collecting up the street cats and dogs,and vaccinate them. Add to the 4 legged population, rats and mice. The dr. and nurses moved with more a sense of urgency with me because I was bitten above the waist. They get nervous when the scratch or bite is in the upper half of body. Google this if you dont believe it, I found it to verify, but one can contract Rabies, and take up to a year to get sick and die. My findings confirm that death by rabies is a very nasty and painful way to go.

My advice; even a minor scratch by any animal should be treated as a threat, and Rabies shots sought immediately. And I dont even have to mention monkeys

Edited by featography

• 5 months later...

I'll be doing my 1st trip to Thailand in a few months and am wondering whether I should get rabies. Not sure how much it costs here in the UK but sounds like I should get it. Are they all in the arm? I heard they used to inject it in your stomache?

I'll be doing my 1st trip to Thailand in a few months and am wondering whether I should get rabies. Not sure how much it costs here in the UK but sounds like I should get it. Are they all in the arm? I heard they used to inject it in your stomache?

You don't need rabies vaccine.

They used to inject in the stomach in the 1950's-1960's. I had the injections when I was about 3 years old and was bitten by a stray.

wellred.

re ... Not sure how much it costs here in the UK but sounds like I should get it. Are they all in the arm?

yes they are in your arm and totally painless and i agree with elektrified that you dont need them .

you should be more worried about dengue fever than rabies injections but for your and others info

if you get bitten by a cat dog whatever ?

you need 5 injections over 7 days at about 500 to 800 baht each depending on where you get them

if you get bitten again at anytime you need another 2 top ups

this may have changed in the last 18 months but thats my experience with rabies injections in chiang mai

dave2

post-42592-0-74922100-1313282141_thumb.j

post-42592-0-47348700-1313282171_thumb.j

post-42592-0-02964900-1313282209_thumb.j

Our newest adopted stray cat that had not yet been neutered or vaccinated gave me a nip on the calf so they recommended 3 shots on days 1,4 and 7 then if the cat was still OK (getting shots and de-nutted as I type) that was enough but 2 more if status unknown. Painless in the deltoid and about 400THB a go (for me I don't know how the cat will feel).