U.S. President Obama names Jeremy Bernard as Social Secretary

News_Editor

U.S. President Obama names Jeremy Bernard as Social Secretary

2011-02-26 02:15:39 GMT+7 (ICT)

WASHINGTON D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- United States President Barack Obama on Friday named Jeremy Bernard as Special Assistant to the President and Social Secretary.

"Jeremy shares our vision for the White House as the People’s House, one that celebrates our history and culture in dynamic and inclusive ways," said Obama. "We look forward to Jeremy continuing to showcase America’s arts and culture to our nation and the world."

Bernard, who currently serves as Senior Advisor to the Ambassador at the U.S. Embassy of Paris, is the first man and first openly gay person to hold the White House post.

"I am deeply humbled to join the White House staff as Social Secretary and support President Obama and the First Lady in this role," said Bernard. "I have long admired the arts and education programs that have become hallmarks of the Obama White House and I am eager to continue these efforts in the years ahead."

He will succeed Julianna Smoot who resigned last month to join the reelection campaign in Chicago. Desiree Rogers was the first social secretary for the Obama administration.

Prior to his role at the U.S. Embassy of Paris, Bernard worked as the White House Liaison to the National Endowment for the Humanities from 2008 to 2010. He also was a California Finance Consultant for the Obama for American campaign.

"I look forward to working with Jeremy to continue the great work of the Social Office," said Tina Tchen, Chief of Staff to First Lady Michelle Obama. "Jeremy’s creativity, perspective and skills will be a welcome addition to our East Wing team."

Bernard, a native of San Antonio, Texas, was appointed by President Clinton as member of his Advisory Committee on the Arts for the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.

He was member of the Democratic National Committee from 2001 to 2009, and served as a board member of A.N.G.L.E. (Access Now for Gay & Lesbian Equality) and the National Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-02-26

Looks like your guy will be busy enough sorting out who gets invited to little get together's such as these. I presume Michelle has returned from her Aspen, Colorado, vacation.

White House reverberates with Motown sound, moves

Feb 24, 9:41 PM (ET)

By NANCY BENAC

WASHINGTON (AP) - The White House reverberated like a long-ago basement sound studio in Detroit on Thursday as the likes of John Legend, Seal, Jamie Foxx, Nick Jonas and Sheryl Crowe channeled their inner Motown before Michelle and Barack Obama. Musical pioneers Smokey Robinson and Stevie Wonder joined in for the celebration of all things Motown.

More here: http://apnews.myway.com/article/20110225/D9LJHDI00.html

...and not to forget this upcoming event:

Another Party: WH Announces Gladys Knight To Perform On Sunday

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/02/25/another_party_wh_announces_gladys_knight_to_perform_on_monday.html

Social Secretary? Whoopee do! Please let me knew when there is an openly gay Secretary of Defense, Chairman of the Federal Reserve, supreme court justice, or president.

So you mean that the job isn't "manly" enough?

Yes, looks like he got a job that was formally done only by ladies. Meanwhile it is nice to see typical gender roles to get broken up, women can do men jobs and vice versa despite all the old traditional stereotypes what woman have to do and what are the jobs reserved for men, this specific case is still odd somehow and reinforced some other stereotypes when the openly gay and currently senior advisor to the ambassador in Paris! get a 'ladies job'.

Honestly, I am not thrilled about the symbolism of a gay man getting a job that is socially considered a woman's job. It would have been more meaningful to give it to a heterosexual man. I think this kind of appointment reinforces the bigotry that gay men are the same as women. I don't mean any disrespect to women in saying that. It's the same kind of demeaning, narrow stereotyping role for gay men symbolized by shows like Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. Of course, it's not that many gay men aren't involved in stereotyped professions such as hairdressers and interior decorators, but MOST aren't, and the majority aren't really amused by being stereotyped that way. That said, I am sure this guy is going to be great for the job and I wish him all success.

Edited by Jingthing

So Jingthing, you weren't happy enough with J. Edgar Hoover running the FBI?

He was the worst kind of closet case and a horrible oppressor of gay people. So the answer is no. He was a very bad role model.

post-37101-0-59079200-1298724042_thumb.j

I do like Barney Frank though.

There is also a strong case for President Abraham Lincoln's homosexuality or at least bisexuality. However, of course, he wasn't open about it.

post-37101-0-50033800-1298723881_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

I am aghast that Honest Abe may not have been as honest as we all thought, but that's a different topic.

I understand your concerns, but from what's been stated, this guy sounds like the best candidate for the job. The goal should be to have the best people doing the jobs. I have a feeling if that can be accomplished, there will be a lot of gay people serving in high places.

The subtle discrimination that still exists is what keeps a lot of gays from achieving the positions they should have.

In the meantime, that silly ol' house will be tastefully decorated!