Rice Sheets For Fresh Spring Rolls

jombom

Does anybody know where to buy fresh rice sheets for making fresh spring rolls. (in Pattaya or Jomtien)

The only ones we found so far (in Tesco) are frozen, and labelled as rice pastry. The fact that they show a picture of fried spring rolls on the packet, means Thai lady dismisses them completely. Simple suggestion from Farang, that we could try them, drew some sort of muttering, along the lines of ''Thing thong Farang know nothing about rice''.

Apparently they can be ordered at the market, but this here Farang, is not going to go to market and discuss the niceties of rice sheet preparation.

Thank you in advance for any helpful replies.

Actually I like the frozen sheets sold in Tesco for spring rolls. My other half will defrost the sheets, make up a big batch of Spring Rolls (about 30 or so), and freeze them. When I want some, I just take them straight out of the freezer and toss them in a deep fry for a few minutes. Pretty tasty as they are crisp and piping hot (the way I like them). Much better than the cold and slightly soggy fresh made ones sold around town, or the frozen ready-made Spring Rolls in the freezer section. Tesco Lotus also has dried sheets in a different section which have to be soaked in water. Don't buy them, they are horrible!

If your Thai lady dismisses the frozen ones, why doesn't she buy the fresh sheets from the market or make her own? She needs to buy the rest of the fresh ingredients from the market. I suspect there is more than the "Thing thong Farang". Probably more like she doesn't want be bothered or like a lot of Thais who believe freezers or only good for ice and ice cream. Which is usually the only thing I find in my freezer.;)