I Have The Green Book - But No Chance To Change Owner

roban

Status Quo:

I have a Motorbike with Greenbook and also a ID card Copy from the previous Owner (Thailady).

The problem is: The Thailady married a Farang, and changed her name to the Farangs name on her ID Card.

So the name in the GB is different from the name on the ID Card Copy.

Next Problem: Unfortunately the Lady died some months before, so I see no chance to clear the papers. :(

Is there any way (maybe "semi-official") to change the ownership of the bike?

I paid Tax and Insurance for the Bike but it seems to be impossible to change the Name. (imho one more very, very stupid (thai) System)

Edited by roban

Don't understand, you have the green book, you have the copy of the i.d card, so why can you not change it ? the old owner does not have to go with you ?

My present car bought in 2008, the reason for sale was the owner [Thai] was moving to a job in Australia, took all the papers + car + green book to change by myself, there was a problem with one paper not signed on the correct Provence paper, told the officer the old owner had gone to live/work in Australia, appeared no problem, he filled the correct paper out, checked the car [test] he then sent me inside to get the change made. 3 days later went and collected green book in my name.

The thai lady is not the previous owner, she is the owner of the bike, or was. Whoever inherited her assets is the new owner of the bike and with the correct paperwork should be able to transfer the bike under his/her name. Perhaps the farang husband inherited her?

Having physical possession of the bike and the book or any copies of id's etc does not mean anything even with proof that money changed hands. Ownership can be transferred by the real owner only and that's it. IMHO A very very good system and fairly commonly used around the world.

System seems fine to me. You failed to transfer ownership day after you recieved docs, and as she has changed name/ID card they are no longer valid. I would usually say dont pay until transfer is accepted, as transfer also includes an ID check of vehilce by DLT.

Bike does still belong to her, as it belongs to registered owner.

If you have sales docs proving you have purchased it and payed for it and they state it is valid for all heirds, you can go to court, one year and 30k baht should do.

Any transaction in Thailand, property or vehicle, docs are only valid as long as ID card is valid and person is alive

Don't understand, you have the green book, you have the copy of the i.d card, so why can you not change it ? the old owner does not have to go with you ?

Works if the owner signs power of attorney to you to handle the transfer. Forms can be get from LTD. It is not possible for anyone just to turn up at LTD with book and ID photocopy. And that's a good thing. Gives some protection for your bikes and cars against theft.

Works if the owner signs power of attorney to you to handle the transfer. Forms can be get from LTD. It is not possible for anyone just to turn up at LTD with book and ID photocopy. And that's a good thing. Gives some protection for your bikes and cars against theft.

Works only as long as ID card is valid and not replaced with new ID card, and as long as owner is alive

What happens when owner dies?

I assume my wife could transfer my car and bike under her name if something happens to me? Or is there really some "useless Thai system" that renders all assets and property of deceased useless by default as ppl here often claim?

Edited by MJo

I assume my wife could transfer my car and bike under her name if something happens to me? Or is there really some "useless Thai system" that renders all assets and property of deceased useless by default as ppl here often claim?

If you are legally married in Thailand, yes. If not, its time you make a will ;)

I can't see what the problem is here apart from not having the book in your name ? :blink: As long as you have the green book you can tax and insure it. As long as you do you won't get any hassle from the BIB and the Thai lady isn't going to be turning up and taking the bike back either. I had a friend with a similar problem. He has been ding the above for the last 6 years and no worries at all. :D

I can't see what the problem is here apart from not having the book in your name ? :blink: As long as you have the green book you can tax and insure it. As long as you do you won't get any hassle from the BIB and the Thai lady isn't going to be turning up and taking the bike back either. I had a friend with a similar problem. He has been ding the above for the last 6 years and no worries at all. :D

I know, I won't get any hassles, but I thought it would be nice, to have the Bike in my name...;)

As I said 'took all the paperwork' no idea what they all where, some were given back 'not needed' the one that was needed was some paper with Nonthaburi heading which was to be signed by the seller, the Office filled that one himself.

3 trucks and the 1st car were all done by the Showroom, when I sell them, there is loads of papers to sign... So the OP only has the book + an old id ? nothing more ?

Thinking of selling my car, so already have all the paperwork, about 5 different papers [friend has filled them all out in Thai + copies of passport + proof of address. thought that was normal.......? my new truck ready tomorrow but again as new all done via the showroom [selling old + buying new]

One problem is that he wouldn't be able to sell the bike should he wish to.

Sophon

Yes, selling the bike will be a little bit more complicated..<_<

In my country, the Book is enough to register a car/bike.

Security? Pfff... If someone steal your Bike AND your Book, (ok, not really likely, except you have wrong "friends"), but the Bike is registered as stolen? So what?

I think nobody would be so stupid, to try to register a stolen Bike/Car with a stolen book...( I think, not even Thai people)

So, one more time: It is a really, really f*****ng and stupid system.

Edited by roban

Again I can't see the problem selling it as long as the person buying it is also aware of the situation and gets a well written receipt. It is how my friend came by his. He got the bike for a very good price and hasn't had any problems in years. ;)

Hmmm...yes, the problem is absolutely unfixable and you are screwed...

I sure hope you don't go do something awful like, I dunno, having someone write the name in Thai script on Microsoft word so that it matches the name and spelling in the greenbook, take some scissors, clear plastic tape, white out and make another copy of the ID with the different name...

...or even worst, scan in a copy of the Thai ID that you do have and have someone photoshop the copy of the ID card and alter the name on the scan so that it matches the name on the green book.:whistling:

Why if you did that, you could take such a copy along with the green book to the Land Transportation Bureau and just transfer ownership on the green book.

It's interesting to note that on Thai ID'S (as far as I know) THE NUMBER ASSIGNED TO THE INDIVIDUAL ON THE THAI ID stays the same, kind of like in the States even if you get married and change your name, your social security number remains the same.

But what do I know? Good luck to you.

P.S.

Did you even TRY to go to DLT with the incorrect name on the Thai ID? Your previous names, and everything else should pull up with the number of the Thai ID. I think it probably would have slid past if you did.

Edited by submaniac

Hmmm...yes, the problem is absolutely unfixable and you are screwed...

I sure hope you don't go do something awful like, I dunno, having someone write the name in Thai script on Microsoft word so that it matches the name and spelling in the greenbook, take some scissors, clear plastic tape, white out and make another copy of the ID with the different name...

...or even worst, scan in a copy of the Thai ID that you do have and have someone photoshop the copy of the ID card and alter the name on the scan so that it matches the name on the green book.:whistling:

Why if you did that, you could take such a copy along with the green book to the Land Transportation Bureau and just transfer ownership on the green book.

It's interesting to note that on Thai ID'S (as far as I know) THE NUMBER ASSIGNED TO THE INDIVIDUAL ON THE THAI ID stays the same, kind of like in the States even if you get married and change your name, your social security number remains the same.

But what do I know? Good luck to you.

P.S.

Did you even TRY to go to DLT with the incorrect name on the Thai ID? Your previous names, and everything else should pull up with the number of the Thai ID. I think it probably would have slid past if you did.

ID number remains same, but date of card issue and expire changes, and its on the DLT screen. adress may have changed too, also on DLT screen

I would present the existing docs to DLT, could work

Again I can't see the problem selling it as long as the person buying it is also aware of the situation and gets a well written receipt. It is how my friend came by his. He got the bike for a very good price and hasn't had any problems in years. ;)

And that's exactly the problem, what is a very good price for the buyer is a very bad price for seller. And without legal title to the bike you won't be able to sell it for the "normal" market price.

Sophon

If you are legally married in Thailand, yes. If not, its time you make a will ;)

Can you elaborate on this. Thanks.

Regarding if the owner dies.

Edited by Semper

What kind of "motorbike" are you talking about?

How much did you pay for it?

How much is your time worth?

I'm guessing it's a scoot or something old, small and cheap.

Why not just part it out or sell it for scrap then use the money to buy a bike in YOUR name.

Job done. :jap:

Why not just part it out or sell it for scrap then use the money to buy a bike in YOUR name.

Is this why you have a "Big Bike"? So you can get from point A to B, as quickly as possible? (time is money) :rolleyes:

Is this why you have a "Big Bike"? So you can get from point A to B, as quickly as possible? (time is money) :rolleyes:

Erm no, the point I was trying to make is that if it's a cheap scoot or some other low value motorbike, is it really worth spending the time and money to try and get the paperwork sorted?

If it's a bike with some value, then maybe the answer is yes. If it's a cheap scoot, perhaps it would make sense to just part it out or sell it for scrap.

It's obvious the OP is a bit aggravated-

Chill bro- there's always a solution.

Good luck and Happy Trails!

:jap:

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Can you elaborate on this. Thanks.

Regarding if the owner dies.

If the owner dies and you are legally married to her/him in LOS, there is a chance you can become the new owner. But a will is better, as it is clear

if it's a cheap scoot or some other low value motorbike, is it really worth spending the time and money to try and get the paperwork sorted

I think, the value of the bike is too low, not worth spending the time to get all sorted.

My initially thoughts were, there could a "semi-official" :whistling: way to sort it out, (dealer/agent etc..) because Bike and Book/Papers are "ok".

But I also like the "photoshopping" idea some posts above :ph34r: (No, only joke)

But never mind, next time I will spent more time to check the book and the history of the previous owner. :rolleyes:

Erm no, the point I was trying to make is that if it's a cheap scoot or some other low value motorbike, is it really worth spending the time and money to try and get the paperwork sorted?

If it's a bike with some value, then maybe the answer is yes. If it's a cheap scoot, perhaps it would make sense to just part it out or sell it for scrap.

It's obvious the OP is a bit aggravated-

Chill bro- there's always a solution.

Good luck and Happy Trails!

:jap:

:)