The Process Of Brown Rice?

THAIPHUKET

In this Isan village jasmine and sticky rice are grown.

Does it make economical sense for a few families to produce brown rice, which I find much tastier?

Was told the basis is still jasmine rice but the processing is different.

Could someone pls explain or give a link ?

If machinery is needed in lieu of a normal peeling machine what is it?

Good brands and cost, please.

Only a supply-demand study can tell you if it makes economic sense. See if there is any brown rice being sold, and what it fetches. Then figure out the costs to get each to market. Personally I am more interested in finding locally grown varieties of low G.I. (Glycemic index) rices. See the following quote and link.

So, if you are a big rice eater, opt for the lower GI varieties with a higher amylose content such as basmati, Doongara Clever Rice™ or Moolgiri (see GI Symbol News for more information). These high-amylose rices stay firm and separate when cooked and combine well with Indian, Thai and Vietnamese cuisines. But keep those portions moderate. Even when you choose a low GI rice, eating too much can have a marked effect on your blood glucose.

http://ginews.blogspot.com/2007/04/low-gi-food-of-month.html

Any variety of rice can be processed into brown rice.

However some varieties will give you better tasting brown rice than others.

As rice passes thru the milling machine the first stage is de-husking.

This is the removal of the outer skin.

You now have brown rice, it is a grain of white rice with a thin coating of bran & a little piece of germ on one end.

The next stage is polishing, this removes the bran & germ to give you white rice.

The more you polish it the whiter & shinier it gets, but the nutritional value falls.

Any rice milling machine can produce brown rice, you just need to remove the rice from the machine at the right stage of processing.

Unfortunately many machines dont have a little door in the right place to eject the rice at this stage, most Thais consider brown rice to be chicken food.

I recently bought a small rice milling machine that does brown & white rice, NW1000 Turbo.

Its about the size & weight of a washing machine, cost approx 40,000 B.

http://www.natrawee.co.th/index.asp?contentID=10000021&title=%CA%D4%B9%A4%E9%D2%A2%CD%A7%E0%C3%D2

They also sell a machine that only produces brown rice for approx 20,000 B

Only a supply-demand study can tell you if it makes economic sense. See if there is any brown rice being sold, and what it fetches. Then figure out the costs to get each to market.

So, if you are a big rice eater, opt for the lower GI varieties with a higher amylose content such as basmati, Doongara Clever Rice™ or Moolgiri

http://ginews.blogsp...d-of-month.html

Interesting info,

1. maket= was thinking to help family earn a bit more cash by selling in the area assuming that brown because of it's more hearty taste it catches a slight premium. We are talking about , say 20-50 rai harvest.

2. GI factor is probably unknown to the average farmer and consumer ( including myself )

@ POND LIFE

I recently bought a small rice milling machine that does brown & white rice, NW1000 Turbo.

http://www.natrawee....%CD%A7%E0%C3%D2

UNQUOTE

Thanks for link might be the right size to start testing the idea. What capacity does this little machine have?

Macrobiotics was popularised in London in the 60's, it was my first introduction to brown rice and real bread (as in brown flour and unleavened, no yeast).

I remember being told that the Victorians were responsible for introducing white rice, white bread, and refined white sugar.

And that the poor Chinese and other Asians all aspired to eat the more expensive white rice as it was the choice of the upper classes, ironically the poor suffered more from malnutrition as rice was often all they could afford, and being white meant it had far less nutrition.

I stand corrected by 'pond life' and wikipedia.......

Brown rice (or "hulled rice") is unmilled or partly milled rice, a kind of whole, natural grain. It has a mild nutty flavor, is chewier and more nutritious than white rice, but goes rancid more quickly because the germ—which is removed to make white rice—contains fats that can go bad.[1] Any rice, including long-grain, short-grain, or sticky rice, may be eaten as brown rice.

But, there are many different varities ranging from brown, red, and black that I have seen and have eaten with completely different flavors making me wonder what milling process they use??

Fascinating point about how white rice became fashionable many moons ago causing malnutrition. Nowadays the very same inferiority complex is being exploited by selling whitening lotion to Asians and of course the same companies sell tanning lotion to us Farang.

The manufacturer claims 50-70 kg per hour.

Thats paddy rice (husk on).

I've only given it a test run so far.

Can you post a thorough review of this machine, I was just about to buy one myself.

Your thoughts on reliability , capacity , efficiency , use of operation, service if needed.

Many Thanks In Advance

Brown rice (or "hulled rice") is unmilled or partly milled rice, a kind of whole, natural grain. It has a mild nutty flavor, is chewier and more nutritious than white rice, but goes rancid more quickly because the germ—which is removed to make white rice—contains fats that can go bad.[1] Any rice, including long-grain, short-grain, or sticky rice, may be eaten as brown rice.

So the question is how to store and for how long to prevent rancidness?

2. the kg capacity of the peeling machine equals only 1 bag/h. Too little.

Any bigger machines, cost and brand perhaps even a link?

ThaiPhuket,

Click on the link I gave in post #4

They have many machines, its in Thai.

Or search for "NW1000 Turbo" in Google, then click "translate this page" when you see the natrawee site.

SoiDog,

You'll have to wait about a month for a review.

Im away working at the moment.

But we will need to mill some brown as soon as I get back.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to running a load of rice thru the new machine.

I put 5 kilo's thru, which is as much as the hopper will hold.

Machine set for brown rice (just pull a knob).

First pass took about 7 mins. (close up pic of rice attached)

The book says put brown rice thru twice.

I put it thru 3 times to get rid of the last of the husks.

2 nd & 3 rd pass took about 2 mins each.

I ended up with about 3.5 kilo's brown rice.

Also got a little bit of bran in one collection bag.

The chaffe bag was almost full.

I think it will work a bit quicker when I've tweaked the adjustments right.

I'm happy with it, seems well built.

My only complaint is that the company were very hard to deal with on the phone.

My wife had to call them about 6 times & repeat everything endlessly over the space of 2 weeks.

Finally got around to running a load of rice thru the new machine.

I put 5 kilo's thru, which is as much as the hopper will hold.

Machine set for brown rice (just pull a knob).

First pass took about 7 mins. (close up pic of rice attached)

The book says put brown rice thru twice.

I put it thru 3 times to get rid of the last of the husks.

2 nd & 3 rd pass took about 2 mins each.

I ended up with about 3.5 kilo's brown rice.

Also got a little bit of bran in one collection bag.

The chaffe bag was almost full.

I think it will work a bit quicker when I've tweaked the adjustments right.

I'm happy with it, seems well built.

My only complaint is that the company were very hard to deal with on the phone.

My wife had to call them about 6 times & repeat everything endlessly over the space of 2 weeks.

Thank you. I was waiting for this, I actually ordered the machine, arrived in record time.

Tomorrow we will pick it up.

We grow some specialty rice, red/black/pink jasmine & sticky rice, If we don't mill it ourselves; when we give it out to mill, it always comes back a disaster.

Best regards

Good luck,

The bad news is, you will probably have to adjust the rollers for each type of rice.

No big deal if youre doing big batches.

I got Engrish instructions & DVD with mine.

Pretty worthless, but the DVD is entertaining.

Its fairly strait forward to put together if youve got a bit of mechanical savvy.

Drop me a line if you think I can help.

Macrobiotics was popularised in London in the 60's, it was my first introduction to brown rice and real bread (as in brown flour and unleavened, no yeast).

I remember being told that the Victorians were responsible for introducing white rice, white bread, and refined white sugar.

And that the poor Chinese and other Asians all aspired to eat the more expensive white rice as it was the choice of the upper classes, ironically the poor suffered more from malnutrition as rice was often all they could afford, and being white meant it had far less nutrition.

Sorry, Velo, definitely not your fault but you were misinformed. The Victorians are blamed for many things but can't be held responsible for white bread. It was not uncommon in the C-18th in GB at least, to whiten bread with chalk, white lead, spirit-of-salts & a few other things; wine & spirits were invigorated with acid, the ubiquitous spirit-of-salts, beetroot juice/caramel, gunpowder etc; bakers carrying trays of pies, bread etc would dry them off before sale if someone emptied a piss-pot out of the window onto it in transit; etc. All this from court proceedings [judges' notes] way before Victoria ascended in 1837. White rice was long the choice of the 'gentry' in the East and only slowly descended the social ladder [cost factor] until, in 1906, there was a fierce outbreak of beri-beri in the Japanese High Seas Fleet diagnosed as vitamin-A deficiency caused by the issue of [descaled] white rice. Are the English to blame again as 'Victorians' is strictly a British term. Can't remember what the concurrent period was called elsewhere - would like to know. Not quite sure what's wrong with white sugar.

Any variety of rice can be processed into brown rice.

However some varieties will give you better tasting brown rice than others.

As rice passes thru the milling machine the first stage is de-husking.

This is the removal of the outer skin.

You now have brown rice, it is a grain of white rice with a thin coating of bran & a little piece of germ on one end.

The next stage is polishing, this removes the bran & germ to give you white rice.

The more you polish it the whiter & shinier it gets, but the nutritional value falls.

Any rice milling machine can produce brown rice, you just need to remove the rice from the machine at the right stage of processing.

Unfortunately many machines dont have a little door in the right place to eject the rice at this stage, most Thais consider brown rice to be chicken food.

http://www.natrawee....%CD%A7%E0%C3%D2

While I hope my historical references above will be read with a smile, this one is a serious question. I am interested in your rice mill in the matter of output quality. Do you find it produces milled but unbroken rice, both brown and white? If so I would think to buy one. Another point, small stones in the rice, can you get rid of them in the machine or by some other means?

I do get a lot of broken rice.

For brown rice it stays mixed with the whole grains (good taste & texture),

with white rice it is separated (chicken food).

The rice Im processing now is from the Sept 09 harvest.

It might be a bit on the dry side, causing more breakage.

Most junk is removed by winowing & picking post harvest.

I havnt noticed any stones in mine, maybe they have dropped to the bottom of the storage barrels.