Getting Married, Whats The G-O ........

Spoonman

Okies, me and the better half are tying the knot, will be a village thing followed by registration at the AUS embassy.

The missus and family are organising the village side of it all.

I have never been married before, here or back home.

What do I need to do to make it all official ?

Congrats

Well the village thing is just for the family, it does not confirm you as married legally. To be married legally you must first get an "Affirmation to Marry" made up, then take to your Embassy and get it certified, after it has been certified you must get it translated into Thai, be careful about spelling of your name, then take this to the MFA at Chaeng Wattana, Bangkok, they will give you a letter (maybe a one day wait), with this letter as a certificate you can get married and an Amphur, you need your passport and the affirmation to marry, the translation and the letter from the MFA, your wife to be will need her ID card and Tambien Baan. You might require 2 witnesses as well.

Just for info I did the Amphur wedding 2 years ago, and will have the family ceremony this month, there is no rule that you must do one before the other, or time restrictions.

Edited by beano2274

Lots of threads on this already. To the o/p afaik, you don't register marriage at the Aus embassy but at a local Thai Amphur office. For that you will need docs from the embassy declaring you fit to marry suitably translated and verified in Thai language by the Thai Foreign Affairs office. The Amphur office will issue a marriage cert in Thai.

To make it official you must go to your embassy and receive a permission to marry letter. This letter is then sent to the MFA for translation and to be put on file. Next you along with your passport AND that letter that has been translated along with yo bride her ID, copy of house book and if she has been married before a copy of the divorce certificate go to any amphur office and for 100 to 200baht sign the book,receive two certified marriage certificates and you are officially married recognized any where in the world. The ceremony at your beloveds house is not recognized as an official marriage.

ok some conflicting advice here.......

"To be married legally you must first get an "Affirmation to Marry" made up, then take to your Embassy and get it certified, after it has been certified you must get it translated into Thai"

"To make it official you must go to your embassy and receive a permission to marry letter."

which is it ?

1. Download the form from the Embassy website

2. Fill it in, take to the Embassy

3. Collect it the next day

4. Get it translated

5. Take to the MFA to have them certify it

6. After collecting it you can legally get married

This is correct as I have done it

Getlost the letter is not sent to the MFA you have to take it yourself or get someone to do it for you with a Power of Attorney letter and the 10baht stamp. Also the translation is required before going to the MFA.

The letter from the Embassy declares that you are legally free to marry, and can do so.

Edited by beano2274

As said the village party is just that. A party. It is not a legal marriage.

Register your marriage at the Amphur to be legal. Details above.

Your Marriage will then be recognized world wide. No need to then register it at the Aus Embassy. The Marriage is legal.

i have copied this from elsewhere, i do not know the author, pls substitute the UK embassy for your own embassy.

getting married in bangkok

Dear All,

I have virtually just return from Bangkok.I hope my personal experience will be of help to all who are planning to get marry in Bangkok. We have just got married and about to apply for a visa. I am a British national and my husband is Thai.

1. to get the affirmation. Print out the suggested wordings on the British Embassy website : http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/resources/e...ffirmation-form

Please follow the wordings, word for word and replaces names etc as necessary. The wordings in the document , as I was told is what the British Embassy have in agreement with the Thai government. Thus if the wordings are different, it will not be affirmed. You have to print this out and apply in person to the British Embassy in Wireless Road. No matter how much of a hurry you are in, you can only collect this the very next day. Payment currently is 2750 Baht. ( Due to the weak pound) This was paid with cash but I believe you may pay with a credit card.

My greatest mistake: make sure if you are planning to marry, to enter Thailand with the passport you intend to get your affirmation from. I am of dual nationality and enter on a different passport. I did not think this was the problem but it started when we tried to get married at Amphur where they check the passport and entry stamped! This lead to further certification and more cost to prove that I am of the same person even when I have the exact same name on both passports!

Myth: you do not need to be in Thailand for 3 days before being able to affirm.

Truth: Affirmation can only be done when you are in Bangkok and not from England.

2.Collecting the affirmation: straight forward. You can collect from 9 am the next day. We have it translated in the shopping centre across the road and cost 300 Baht. It is very important to get your partner who knows Thai to check the spellings and wordings that is translated in Thai. THis is important as it will appear later in your marriage application at Amphur.

You do not need an official translator to translate the document. You can translate it yourself.However we found it was convenient and not too expensive and it saves us time.

The next step is to get the translation legalised.

I am thankful to "Mario2008" on the website who suggests the quickest way to

the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (The Legalisation Division

Department of Consular Affairs

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

123 Chaeng Wattana Road,

Laksi District, Bangkok 10210

The best and quickest way is to use the skytrain (BTS). The nearest station is situated opposite the British Embassy , Phloen Chit station and it cost 40 bht per person to Mo Chit ( 16 mins). From there take exit 3 or 4 and get on a taxi to the Ministry. If there is no traffic, it will take about half an hour. Cost: less than 100 BHT. If you decide to take a taxi, this can be a couple of hours depending on traffic and can cost 200-400 BHT.

Go up to the 2nd floor. Remember to get a ticket from the ticketing machine and at the same time, a form from the enquiry desk. You will need the express service to get the affirmation legalised in a day. Wait your number, and then present the translated version, the British Embassy Affirmation , a copy of your passport and the filled form from the enquiry desk. Payment: 800 Baht. Take a seat and wait for your receipt ( you need this to pick up your document later). If you manage this before 12 noon, go for lunch in the canteen. The staff goes for lunch between 12 noon and 1 pm. They will ask you to return at 2pm for collection.If you arrive very early in the morning, it is very likely you will get it before lunch. If you need further legalisation of any documents, it has to be done here. Thus organise this and do it all in one trip. Our documents was legalised within 2 hours when we came early. Otherwise it can be 3 hours.

3. Going to Amphur to get marry. I was told by the senior person who signs the marriage certificates, that lots of the Amphurs in Bangkok are very reluctant to marry foreigner and Thai as the complexity of checking documentations. Thus lots of the marriages are taking place in Bang Rak ( Translated: District of love). They are very helpful.The most important thing is to get your documents in order and complete set of necessary documents.

For Thai national: They need 2 copies of their ID card, and house log.

For the foreigner: a copy of their passport, entry visa( must be valid and not expired), affirmation letter in Thai and English( stamped by the Embassy)

You need 2 witnesses, however someone at the office can normally stand in if necessary.

Although the office officially closes at 4pm, do arrive early as on the day we got married, there was 15 couples waiting by 3pm and they have to turn people away. It takes up to 40 mins to 1 hour to marry a foreigner/Thai as they need to check the documentation thoroughly.They will also need to hand type whatever statement on your affirmation letter on to the marriage documentation.This takes time.For a Thai couple, all their documentation are in the computer system thus they are quicker to be dealth with. We were the last couple that day and we waited till 17.30pm! The poor officer did not even have lunch that day.The payment is 40 Baht for the marriage certificate, you can also buy a special folder to put your certificate in for 450 Baht.It is not cumpulsory but we like it. There is also a rickshaw in the office for you to take pictures! It is nicely set up.While we were there, there was a foreign/thai couple where one of them has been divorced.It is necessary to bring the original official divorce document.If not , the woman will need to have pregnancy test to prove she is not pregnant.This is to avoid the complication as to whom the father of the child is, as I was told. If the woman is pregnant it is very likely the marriage will not be registered that day( if the official divorce papers are unavailable).You have to be divorced for 310 days before being able to get marry again.

4. We are at the stage of applying for a spouse visa.The other necessity is to get a TB test, as he is going to be in the UK longer than 6 months. The test is necessary even though he has been in the UK previously on work permit for years and have been registered under the NHS.

The TB test is straigtforward. You need to go to :-

International Organisation for Migration (IOM) :

Kasemkij Building

8th Floor, 120 Silom Road

Bangrak, Bangkok 10500

Tel: +66 2 234 7950-5

Fax: + 66 2 234 7956

Email: [email protected]

Attendance is by appointment only and the full test fee of 2600 Baht must be paid in advance.

What you need to do is to pay the fees at IOM, then you are given 2 choices of Hospitals to go to: Phayathai2 or Bangrungrat Hospital. At the hospital, they will take a chest x-ray and in 15 mins, you will get the radiological report. You will then have to take this back to the IOM and a certificate will be issued. This should take you only a couple of hours. We did it in a morning. No sputum test necessary unless if the chest x-ray shown otherwise.

Our next step is to apply for the visa which he will be doing in the coming week. Up to this point, we have not use an agency. The process is straigtforward as long as you are willing to do all the legwork.We believe it is a test of our teamwork to a marriage.

I hope the above information is helpful to all those people out there who wishes to get married in Bangkok. Thank you to all who have help me previously.Good luck to all who are about to go through this!

SPOONMAN: Do as I did some 10 years ago. Let your lady make a couple of phone calls to the proper authorities and let her do the running-around. (She speaks better Thai than you, I assume.) Rest assured, she will find out in a hurry, what kind of paperwork is required.

Would it be indescreet to ask for how long do you know the lady ? Look before you leap, no offence intended.

Cheers and good luck to you.

Congrats

Well the village thing is just for the family, it does not confirm you as married legally. To be married legally you must first get an "Affirmation to Marry" made up, then take to your Embassy and get it certified, after it has been certified you must get it translated into Thai, be careful about spelling of your name, then take this to the MFA at Chaeng Wattana, Bangkok, they will give you a letter (maybe a one day wait), with this letter as a certificate you can get married and an Amphur, you need your passport and the affirmation to marry, the translation and the letter from the MFA, your wife to be will need her ID card and Tambien Baan. You might require 2 witnesses as well.

Just for info I did the Amphur wedding 2 years ago, and will have the family ceremony this month, there is no rule that you must do one before the other, or time restrictions.

Hi Beano,

just curious about that part of your advice. I'll be doing all this in April, I think I've pretty much understood everything I will need to be doing but this has intrigued me :)

In the translation they will, obviously, be spelling my name out in Thai, what do I need to be careful of? Should I try and provide them with a spelling myself?

Cheers,

Biff

When I got married the guy got me to write my name down in English. He then got me to say it a few times. Then he typed it out in Thai, got my wife to read it and then a couple of girls in the office to read it out loud to me. No problem. When I've had to make use of a translation service near the British Embassy they're on the ball.

Edited by mca

Biff - be careful of how they say it, as the intonations help spell the word. Tell them how to say it correctly in English slowly make the correct tones and then hey presto you will have your Thai name done correctly

That's lucky Spoonman. Some people are not as lucky as you. But part of the village ceremony is the MIL showing the Sinsord to everyone so they get jealous, I think you will need to speak to them about it, also the 1 baht of Gold and the Rings will be shown at the same time.

Edited by beano2274

Biff - be careful of how they say it, as the intonations help spell the word. Tell them how to say it correctly in English slowly make the correct tones and then hey presto you will have your Thai name done correctly

Cheers,

seeing as I can write Thai a little, far from proficient at it but not too bad :) should I go for a DIY? I'm thinking that that way, I will always be able to reproduce what's on the marriage certificate as, presumably, the good folks at the Amphur will get their spelling of it from the translation certified by the MFA.

What do you think?