Help With Ipcop

rhino533

Hi All,I'm trying to setup IPCOP for my gaming cafe and I'm having real trouble with the install. The stupid thing is I installed it a few years ago without any problems. It worked perfectly. Now I need to install it again and I can't get it to work. I thought I remember how to install it but I must of forgot. It's driving me crazy. Right now I'm have Zyxel router using pppoe. Ok this is how I had it setup before (a few years ago):

Bridged Router

Used IPCOP as a router to connect to the internet

Used it as a firewall. proxy and port forwarding

Can anyone instruct me how to set it up this way. My main problem is setting up the address configuration during install so that ipcop will be my router using pppoe. I can't remember how to set it. Any help would be so appreciated. Thanks

did you have a look a this:

http://www.ipcop.org...ctionSetup.html

This isnot really my problem, I can set all that up easy but I think where I'm going wrongsomewhere in the initial setup. It’s when I have to set the red nic.IP, DNS,DHCP etc in the network configuration menu. I want to set my red nic with thesame ip address as my bridged router but when I choose pppoe in the addresssetting for my red nic I can't seem to set the gateway ip and once the installis done the red nic ip is 1.1.1.1 (not what I wanted) and when I try to set mybridged router to that ip (red nic 1.1.1.1) ipcop won't connect to the internet.

Setting up the dialup area in ipcop isn't theproblem for me. I can do all that just somewhere during the install I’m doingsomething wrong which stops me from being able to connect to the internet usingmy ipcop as a router. I'm not using an usb router it’s connected by Lan wire.

i never used ipcop and i'm in no way a networking guru but i'm confused by several things:

- what you call your bridged router is actually a modem/router in bridge mode that you'll use as a modem only, is it right ?

- why do you want the 2 devices to have the same IP, I dont see how this could work

i have a modem/router at home (from my ISP) that works in bridge mode, as a router I use a RT-N16 running tomatousb.

the modem/router is 192.168.1.1 (and anyway, I dont have to connect to it) and the router is 192.168.2.1

all pppoe settings are done on the RT-N16

i never used ipcop and i'm in no way a networking guru but i'm confused by several things:

- what you call your bridged router is actually a modem/router in bridge mode that you'll use as a modem only, is it right ?

- why do you want the 2 devices to have the same IP, I dont see how this could work

i have a modem/router at home (from my ISP) that works in bridge mode, as a router I use a RT-N16 running tomatousb.

the modem/router is 192.168.1.1 (and anyway, I dont have to connect to it) and the router is 192.168.2.1

all pppoe settings are done on the RT-N16

This is how I connected ipcop (when it worked)before what I can remember .

I set the green nic as 203.150.6.88

I set the red nic as 203.150.6.77

I had it set so ipcop (not my modem/router) would connect to the internet using pppoe setting

I had to set my modem gateway ip to be the same as the red nics ip so that ipcop and the modem could connect

Then every time I turn on the modem and ipcop, ipcop would connect to the internet using pppoe connection setting I configured.

The modem was set for bridged mode RFC 1483 LLC, VPI 0 VCI 35 and the gateway ip was 203.150.6.77

I believe I'm having problems setting my red nic properly. I'm no network guru either that's why I'm asking for help.

these are outside world IPs from inet.co.th, no?

where's your shop, I could try to have a look if you want (and if you're no too far). fees are paid in beer exclusively :P

these are outside world IPs from inet.co.th, no?

where's your shop, I could try to have a look if you want (and if you're no too far). fees are paid in beer exclusively :P

I'm in Rayong which is probably pretty far

indeed :)

what I would try:

1. reset your modem/router to factory default > put it in bridge mode. check its address (which most likely will be 192.168.1.1)

2. setup your router (ipcop) to be 192.168.2.1 > to connect to the internet, this will be the default gateway you'll have to set up on the clients.

3. setup your adsl connection inside ipcop

4. make sure ipcop is seen as a client by the modem/router. if not, simple reboot should do it.

that /should/ be as simple as that.

indeed :)

what I would try:

1. reset your modem/router to factory default > put it in bridge mode. check its address (which most likely will be 192.168.1.1)

2. setup your router (ipcop) to be 192.168.2.1 > to connect to the internet, this will be the default gateway you'll have to set up on the clients.

3. setup your adsl connection inside ipcop

4. make sure ipcop is seen as a client by the modem/router. if not, simple reboot should do it.

that /should/ be as simple as that.

ok will try now, thanks will keep you posted