Thai Bank Account

Very easy just go to the branch and itll be done that day. Bring your passport , about 1000baht and proof of address.

But ask yourself do you really need one.....?

Whatever you do dont open a 'foreign currency deposit account', they will skin you.

Also from my experience Kasikorn is not very good,

Very easy just go to the branch and itll be done that day. Bring your passport , about 1000baht and proof of address.

But ask yourself do you really need one.....?

Whatever you do dont open a 'foreign currency deposit account', they will skin you.

Also from my experience Kasikorn is not very good,

Yes I made the mistake of opening a foreign currency acc with Bangkok Bank. I would also agree with you with Kasikorn Bank.

jb1

Oops, sorry read it wrong. I have not had any problems with Kasikorn Bank. Other than their ATM ate my card the other day. :o

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

Yes to open a normal savings account with an ATM card (which is Visa or MC linked) is relatively easy.

You will need your passport and yes lets say 1,000- baht to open the account. From which they will decuct i think its 300- baht for theATM card.

Some branches may ask you for proof of address if you are not an existing customer. This is becasue our passports dont have an address whereas Thai ID cards have their registered address on the card. Some branches will not require it.

You do not need a Work permit or a non immigrant visa.

Check accounts are muchmore difficult, for what i thought would be an obvious reason - people write rubber checks, so banks here tend not to open personal check accounts.

First bank account I had in Thailand was Bangkok Bank 2nd Rd. Pattaya. Prof of address was a business card listing the Pig and Whistle on Soi7 as my address. The second account was in Chiang Mai at Bangkok Bank Tha Phae Rd. Prof of address was a business card for the Night Bazaar Condo Hotel on Soi1 and Tha Phae Rd.:whistling:

thanks for the support gotlost...seems you r following me around the forum today.

at least it was some form of address confirmation .....

what amazes me with BBl is ive been there customer for 15 years and EVERY time i want to do something i have to provide my passport,, like, new passbook when the old one is full, new ATM card when the old one doesnt work through no fault of mine, change of address, and yes change of phone number, ..

Why oh why do thye need a passport EVERY f,,ing time... especially at the branch where the account is based..

They have enough copies of my passport to fill a filing cabinet....

I wonder why the bank doesnt have a more up to date technology and just "scan" the passport ( or for Thais their ID card) into their system - then it would be easy to go to any branch or do any paperwork and be easily identified... too much work i guess..

My you UOB has a system where they scan the signature cards so you can go to any branch to withdraw etc.. good one UOB.

Perhaps the resident BBL member can offer some insights into this paper warfare...that cant be made technologically more efficient.

Edited by clinique

Yeah, I agree that Bangkok Bank is killing a forest of trees every month with all the copies , but I just learned to bring my passport with me whenever I want to conduct any business more complex than getting money from my account or turning those 1000 baht notes into smaller ones.

Another bit of advice is to select a branch bank that's convenient as your "home" branch. Ours is in Chiang Mai and, as we discovered during a recent in-country vacation, they charge a 20 baht fee for withdrawals that are "out of area" for your home branch.

Bangkok Bank ask for a Work Permit to open an account, Kasikorn don't at the latest reports.

Not any of the BBL branches I deal with. Over 20 years ago it was a Bank of Thailand requirement, but it was aboloshed about that time.

If one branch asks for it, just go to another branch. WP is not required.

Bangkok Bank ask for a Work Permit to open an account, Kasikorn don't at the latest reports.

Not strictly true. I opened an account with them earlier this year. No need for a work permit. Their website even states that they'll open accounts for visitors.

Incidentally, I've had accounts with Bank of Ayudhya/Krungsri and Krung Thai for many years now, but neither bank will give me a Visa card. Bangkok Bank did.

Finally, internet banking with Krungsri and Bangkok Bank - no problem. However, Krung Thai won't give me access online to my account. They say that their system requires a Thai ID card number to register which, of course, I don't have.

Yeah, I agree that Bangkok Bank is killing a forest of trees every month with all the copies , but I just learned to bring my passport with me whenever I want to conduct any business more complex than getting money from my account or turning those 1000 baht notes into smaller ones.

Another bit of advice is to select a branch bank that's convenient as your "home" branch. Ours is in Chiang Mai and, as we discovered during a recent in-country vacation, they charge a 20 baht fee for withdrawals that are "out of area" for your home branch.

Hi NancyL, our branch also in CM now keeps a folder with copies of passports of "regular" customers. The branch has many farang customers and we all objected to this ridiculous ongoing request for passport and copies on every occassion. So the manager instituted this'folder' - a bit of a brain this guy.

The 20 baht charge - is it charged on ATM withdrawals too - havent noticed it to be honest.

Not any of the BBL branches I deal with. Over 20 years ago it was a Bank of Thailand requirement, but it was aboloshed about that time.

Agree.:thumbsup: BYW TAG your it.:lol:

Some do and some don't. They will open an account on a 30 day visa exempt stamp for a fact.

Yes opened my first Bangkok BANK ACC AT Hau Hin on 30 day visa stamp.

jb1

thanks for the support gotlost...seems you r following me around the forum today.

at least it was some form of address confirmation .....

what amazes me with BBl is ive been there customer for 15 years and EVERY time i want to do something i have to provide my passport,, like, new passbook when the old one is full, new ATM card when the old one doesnt work through no fault of mine, change of address, and yes change of phone number, ..

Why oh why do thye need a passport EVERY f,,ing time... especially at the branch where the account is based..

I wonder why the bank doesnt have a more up to date technology and just "scan" the passport ( or for Thais their ID card) into their system - then it would be easy to go to any branch or do any paperwork and be easily identified... too much work i guess..

My you UOB has a system where they scan the signature cards so you can go to any branch to withdraw etc.. good one UOB.

Perhaps the resident BBL member can offer some insights into this paper warfare...that cant be made technologically more efficient.

Use your DL, works every time :)

Go to a bank in a tourist area where they are used to dealing with farang and speak a bit of english.

I opened my first acc in Huahin (SCB) no problem then wanted to change it to a BKK branch.

Was told no can do farang cant open accounts.

But I already have one with your bank, only want to change branches.

Eventualy after a lot of talk in Thai (Nobody there spoke english) got it done.

I don't think it is out of stupidity. I am pretty sure they have had too many bad experiences from thugs and cheats trying to con the bank out of money. Good on them for protecting our accounts.

I have used many banks and for many reasons throughout the Kingdom.

Personally I have always found that Bangkok Bank has by far the best service in all departments when dealing with foreigners.It may well be different for Thai customers. Their staff must be trained differently than other banks as they seem to 'take care' of expatriates better than others'. I have experienced this nationwide.

I'm sure others have different opinions, maybe a poll would be a good idea.

Kind regards

Bojo

I had to have proof of address to open my BB account. This was last year here in Pattaya. But all that was needed was the rental agreement for my apartment.

I have done quite a bit with these guys over the past year and have never had a problem. I love being able to use their New York branch for transferring money here. Really easy....

Also, I recommend getting the ATM card with the chip on it. Quite a bit of fraud going on right now. This one is harder for them to deal with...but also does not work at every ATM. :(

Yes I know, I told all the banks I opened accounts at that a WP is not needed and asked how do all the tourists have bank accounts as they don't have a WP.

But it seems that some banks, (TMB, SCB and BB where I have accounts) don't know that and insist on a WP.

By the way the WP requirement was only introduced around 1996 after a directive was sent to all banks by the BoT. Prior to that there was no problem opening an account but as soon as it was introduced it became difficult to open a new account in a new branch even with an existing account with the same bank group (Thai Farmers for example). Since then there has been a continuing misunderstanding of the requirements of the directive with the easy solution being 'mai dai'.

I don't think it is out of stupidity. I am pretty sure they have had too many bad experiences from thugs and cheats trying to con the bank out of money. Good on them for protecting our accounts.

hi kyb

i wasnt suggesting it is out of stupidity.

If doing business at another branch ican understand the requirement for passport/ID.

BUT at the branch where the account was opened they already have all our details on file so why the necessity to produce passport every time the customer wants to do something - it is OTT for me.:)