Warning To People Thinking About Buying Car In Los

dmax

i bought a mitsu triton 6 months ago, i have a thai wife and 19 month old baby , everytime i drive from bkk or pattaya up to isaan i have at least 4-6 near accidents, i am selling my car now because of this , i just cannot take the risk, since buying my car i have had 2 people run into me ,( not major damage) i woke up yesterday to see that someone had hit my car again last night in pattaya :-( . people over here are careless. it is just too dangerous to drive with a child in the car. just think twice , do you really need a car here ?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Assuming that you will be ...

1) Needing to travel any distances regularly

and

2) Your lack of adapting to local driving conditions isn't the real issue ....

I would consider it safer to drive oneself anywhere than to rely upon the driving of a complete stranger.

Assuming that you will be ...

1) Needing to travel any distances regularly

and

2) Your lack of adapting to local driving conditions isn't the real issue ....

I would consider it safer to drive oneself anywhere than to rely upon the driving of a complete stranger.

Drive for 17 years, whitout any major accidents. LOS isn't so bad, if you use commonsense. Did you ever drive in Phnom Phen? That's more scary!

I would prefer my chances in my own pickup rather than traveling by scooter locally or Bus for any kind of distance.

Echoing all the above, A.....men!!! Not really religious but I think you get the gist. Can't think of a single person I'd trust more then myself driving.. Curiously how is not having a vehicle going to make the OP and his family safer?? Op are you going to hide under the sheets? I have more close incidents then that just driving from Don Muang to downtown in a single day in Bangkok..

Haven't you been noticing the multitude of threads regarding bus and van crashes for instance?

Edited by WarpSpeed

A warning not to buy a car in LOS? Most foreigners who travel to Isaan only do so because they married someone from there - why not warn against that instead? Arguably more dangerous, perhaps. If taxis were this cheap in the West as they are in Thailand surely no-one would drive, right? Well, why do Thai's clamour for car ownership? Status is a big factor but safety and hygiene are other reasons; taxis rarely have rear seat belts and are often poorly maintained mechanically with little accountability in the event of an accident.

Now that is a funny post by the OP!

Just coz he can't drive or know where it is safe to park a car he warns us all that it is dangerous to own a car over here.

Park your car where nobody can drive into it unless they try to. Even if you have to walk a little further.

I bet your accidents could of been avoided had you learnt to look all around you at all times while driving.

Anyway, stay safe on those buses!

Sorry, but there must be something wrong in your way of driving/parking. After about 350,000 kms in about 14 years on bike/in car I am just suffering of minor scratches. It can be done, if you are flexible and can adapt the Thai way of driving. It just takes a bit of practice.

If you want to be safe the last thing to do would be to take a taxi! In Bangkok they seem particularly bad. The last one we got ended up in a fit of road rage and almost came to blows with another driver, who reached into his car to grab something probably dangerous. Amazing! As others have said, the safest way is to drive yourself.

@onnut, i guess u live at onnut, any idea when these stupid bridges r done? Traffic soooo slow here at onnut. To stay on topic, another accident at onnut... Scooterdriver seriously injured (perhaps dead now). He got hit (sandwiched) by 2 cars fighting to be on one of the lanes to get over the bridge at full speed :/

Everyone is protecting their lanes and meanwhile steal space on other lanes as well, bit hypocrytic....

>everytime i drive from bkk or pattaya up to isaan i have at least 4-6 near accidents,

I think the warning the o/p was issuing in his own words were about the risks associated with him being on the road at the same time as anyone else. Once he sells up, we should be safe again:-)

the poor farang ,

cannot afford to keep the motor .

so him tell the darling , him love she, soooo much ,

he not want take her n sprog in carr .

so they go see mama issan, in the bus , cann do.

n.b. dont use death wish tours , go by train , it,s safer .

:jap:

>everytime i drive from bkk or pattaya up to isaan i have at least 4-6 near accidents,

I think the warning the o/p was issuing in his own words were about the risks associated with him being on the road at the same time as anyone else. Once he sells up, we should be safe again:-)

:lol:

Sorry, but there must be something wrong in your way of driving/parking. After about 350,000 kms in about 14 years on bike/in car I am just suffering of minor scratches. It can be done, if you are flexible and can adapt the Thai way of driving. It just takes a bit of practice.

8 years and +450k km, and minor scratches only to my cars. Except for one bullet hole, but had nothing to do with traffic

present Vigo is 1,5 years by now, no scratches at all despite 2 trips at 4k km Phuket-Nong Kai (Isarn). Took me some years to learn Thai style i Guess :rolleyes:

Let's look at the very simple mathematics here.....

He bought his car 6 months ago and every time he drives up to Isaan he has at least 4 - 6 accidents. So, he must have made that journey at least twice...... not counting return trips. Therefore he has had "at least" 12 accidents in 6 months! If he is not counting the two people who have "run into" then that makes 14 accidents in 6 months!!!

Waking up in Pattaya to see some impact damage to his car does not count as a trip to Isaan. If all of this is true then he is right in saying "people over here are careless"........... but he should turn his pointing finger to himself.

....... and YES, I need a car here. I have had the need for 19 years with no more than a single parking scratch to my car and dozens of trips to darkest Isaan with nary a knock.

Haha, if you are scared while driving i think its better not to drive. One should never be scared while driving your own car. The only way to drive farely safe is by driving thai style; not afraid, defensive in order to protect all but also sometimes offensive in order to move.

Just had an almost accident today in bkk, due rain the road was wet and slippery. I braked and my car slided towards another car, i braked automatically for 3 times rapidly which helped a lot. I thiught shit... Here i go... Lol.

But not a scratch. I put it on handbrake, step out abd checked out of curiousity howmuch was left, it was half cm lol. Lucky me and other car. Yep first ride in the rain as well today, good lesson ;-)