S O N G K R A N

WinnieTheKhwai

I may be having another crack at celebrating Songkran in the Pattaya area this year. Just one month to go until it kicks off in the North. Then a week later I'm hoping to catch it at the right place and time in the Pattaya area. I've done it before but probably not on the main day; I'd like to experience the main day.

Everything I've read leads me to believe that this is 19 April. However 17 April is a Sunday, so that day may also be big?

For the main day, would you say that you really get a good mix of people all joining in? (So not just a mix of hookers and Farang hooligans?)

Which areas would be good? I don't mind to travel outside of Pattaya to Sri Racha or even beyond. There needs to be good water access of course. (Beaches come to mind.. I assume there will be ice-vendors also on Songkran beach parties to chill the water down?) Finally, I don't enjoy the chalk-thing, so the fewer of that the better it would be.

Thanks!!

why not try ban phe opposite koh samet island. it happens only on the 16th april here. a brilliant day with a good mix of locals and farang.

ban phe is 1 hour drive from pattaya. the best venue is christies who out on music all day, cold beer and they normally go thru 22 water tankers

in that day. absolute blast and friendly

cheers mark

Is there some reason why it's held on different days everywhere?

Considering it's a national holiday, I have no idea why they can't have one uniform day or group of days for the celebration. Just announce whatever days its going to be and like every other holiday, have it on that day(s).

In Pattaya, I am guessing tourism, mostly Thai tourism. That way Bangkok Thais can celebrate multiple times.

That makes sense.. though it applies to the whole of Chonburi province, and perhaps beyond. There's got to be more to it? But if (Thai) tourism is part of the reason then I doubt it is to celebrate multiple times, it'd perhaps be more related to keeping all staff available in restaurants, hotels and the like while the whole country has their main holiday. Then after that's done, the locals in Pattaya can celebrate.. But again I think there's more to it.

The story that I always heard is that Pattaya had it a week later so that those wanting to avoid it could holiday there and stay dry during Songkran week and then go back home when Pattaya celebrated and avoid it all together.

Unfortunately, Pattaya soon become overrun with yobs and football hooligan types who delighting in starting early and annoying other expats and eventually it ended up where Pattaya was two weeks of wet misery instead of one.

Edited by Ulysses G.

In Pattaya, I am guessing tourism, mostly Thai tourism. That way Bangkok Thais can celebrate multiple times.

You got it Jingthing.:thumbsup:

Although it's not just the Bangkok Thais, but for Thais from all over Thailand to celebrate it multiple times.

After all, it's the Thai New Year and Thais love to party!

:partytime2:

:guitar:

:drunk:

:burp:

After all, it's the Thai New Year and Thais love to party!

Let's not overgeneralize about Songkran. LOTS of Thais have told me they're bored with Songkran in Pattaya. It has gotten to be too much even for them.

But not to worry. It will bloom as hideous as ever, long as Lake Mabrachan doesn't run dry.

two years ago i stayed in pattaya

at night things were fine

i didn't get wet except fot the last day/night

which goes on all night

so anyone know the actually days

i am guessing the 13 - 19

since it is at least a full week

but they may start throwing water befoer the 13

not sure how it is decided