An Unbelievable Hospital Experience

steveb

Thought I would share my experience yesterday at a local private hospital. Was scheduled to have surgery at 2pm and went to the hospital at 8am to prepare for surgery. Was given IV an waiting in the room to go to the operating room at 1:30PM. At 2:30pm the nurse comes in to tell me there is some problem with the equipment and the doctor would talk to me. He explained that the hospital didn't have the proper equipment to perform the surgery and would have to change hospitals. The nurse said they would call around to other hospitals in the area to borrow the equipment and perform the surgery the next morning. So I waited with the IV until 7pm when they told me they couldn't borrow the equipment and I could go home and they would find another hospital to perform the surgery. I refused to pay the room and medical charges and went home.

Anyone heard of anything as bad as this before?

Too bad we can't know what hospital to avoid.

You just have to be assertive. Ask to speak to the Doctor. Thai's have deep respect /fear for doctors. Tell the doctor that hospital admin need to get on the phone & schedule your procedure at another nearby hospital. If the Doctor tells them they will do it.

From the sounds of this hospital, you are probably lucky they weren't able to do the surgery. Avoid it, obviously, from here on out.

Small local private hospitals tend to be quite poor in quality. If upcountry, you are usually much better off going to the government provincial hospital and paying for a "VIP" room (hong piset).

in Bangkok, stick to the larger, well known private hospitals or government hospitals. especially when surgery of any sort is involved.

BTW what type of surgery was this (I'm just curious as to whether it did in fact require soem type of unusual equipment)

The name of the hospital is *****, near Zeer Rangsit (a computer center like Pantip) and it was for cystolitholapaxy, removal of bladder stones. I use this hospital for 2 reasons. It is not too far from where I live and I use Thai social security and this is one of the hospitals in the program. My problem is the better well known hospitals are quite far from me and I would have to take time off from work just to go there and with follow ups and everything. May have to do it if I can't find someplace near my area. I live on Ramintra Road not far from the new immigration office. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks so much for your support.

Edited by Mario2008
name removed per forum rules

The name of the hospital is *****, near Zeer Rangsit (a computer center like Pantip) and it was for cystolitholapaxy, removal of bladder stones. I use this hospital for 2 reasons. It is not too far from where I live and I use Thai social security and this is one of the hospitals in the program. My problem is the better well known hospitals are quite far from me and I would have to take time off from work just to go there and with follow ups and everything. May have to do it if I can't find someplace near my area. I live on Ramintra Road not far from the new immigration office. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks so much for your support.

Steve

I've been going to Vibhavadii Hospital there at the corner of Vibhavadii-Rangsit Road and Ngam Wong Wan, surgery department, Dr Tanes. Had gall bladder out via laproscopy a couple years back, good job. Give him a shout or a visit. Quite excellent English, too.

Mac

There is also another hospital next to The Mall Ngam Wong Wan Road that appeared to be OK on a brief visit to in patients a few years ago. As said Vibhavadii Hospital is considered good but rather expensive by Thai standards. Our only experience was a consultation with old school doctor (I know all and nobody else knows anything attitude) some years ago. But that was doctor specific so facility itself my be fine.

I do know the place near Zeer and immediately changed my ATM card PIN after using machine in there 'lobby'. Facility did not instill much confidence.

The name of the hospital is *****, near Zeer Rangsit (a computer center like Pantip) and it was for cystolitholapaxy, removal of bladder stones.

That does entail use of an ultrasonic lithotripter which not every hospital would have.

But why this was not arranged to begin with remains unclear along with why the doctor would not have known the hospital did not have one, and how much experience he has in its use if that is where he primarily practices.... (of course like many he might also work at a government hospital).

Vibhavadii is a good suggestion, altho I don't know if it is included in the social security scheme.

Small local private hospitals tend to be quite poor in quality. If upcountry, you are usually much better off going to the government provincial hospital and paying for a "VIP" room (hong piset).

Very sound advice, and something that some members seem slow to take on board - I know it doesn't apply to this example.