Pcx Theft Risk ?

wow is he really stealing it or did he have a key and its a fake.

One of our condo residents here had his PCX stolen while looking in on his mother at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. He got a Honda Scoopy afterwards after the Honda dealer told him the PCX is a theft magnet wherever he takes it. We have a total of 55 condos here. So far two residents who I know quite well have had their motorbikes stolen.

wow is he really stealing it or did he have a key and its a fake.

The PCX is a new, highly sought after model and is expensive (relatively) so it is going to be a target for theft. When I bought my PCX, the guy in front of me was getting a new PCX preped to replace the one he had owned for 10 days when it was stolen at the Carrefour parking lot in central Pattaya. Insurance paid 80% of the cost of the new bike, so still a significant loss for him. I paid for the theft insurance, which I think is well worth the premium on that bike (and mine is in a locked garage every night). The theft in the video looks too easy to be real -- just put in a key, turn it and go. But, real or not, it could have been avoided with a good wheel disc lock (Solex makes a good one) (which I also purchased, and you should too). Then, at least, someone will need to pick it up and haul it away in a pickup. I also bought in Germany and carry a very good quality cable lock, but the ability to use it is limited. If I was parking the PCX outside over night, I would make every effort to use the cable lock as well as the disc lock. The key is to make your bike more difficult to steal than the one down the street. Good luck......

Edited by Thailaw

Best anti-theft protection in Thailand is -Don't buy Honda-. Nobody steals anything else.

Buy what no one wants so that they won't steal it? That's like marrying a really ugly girl so that if you go away for a week you will be sure that she will still be there when you return -- why would you want to do that? Like having a beautiful girlfriend, owning a PCX is worth the risk -- you just need to exercise a bit of caution when you're gone..... That's what locks (and chastity belts) are for.......

• Like 1

It's that easy. I've seen them do it myself, outside Tukcom in Pattaya, a busy street in the middle of the day. They have this thing that looks like a corkscrew-handle with a screwdriver at the end instead of the corkscrew. They just stick it in and turn and that's all there is to it. The corkscrew-handle gives the torque necessary.

Honda bikes have a little slider that you can slide in front of the lock, when used that supposedly blocks for this way of stealing the bikes, but most people seems not to be bothered using it.

If a thief wants something bad enough, he will find a way to steal it. Motorbikes are easy to steal no matter what alarms or locks you have on the bike. It is quite easy to put it in the back of a truck and off they go. I think the best protection for a motorbike is a good hardened chain and a good hardened hasp padlock. Chain it through the back wheel and swing arm to something that is secure.

• 4 weeks later...

motorbikes may be 'easy to steal' but you can make yours more difficult to steal, a less attractive proposition for the would-be thief (they'll pinch someone else's!).

Anything that stops it being simple wheeled away is a good start, I use a cable lock through the rear wheel/suspension and the steering lock - would probably be a three-man job to lift, awkward and rather obvious in a public place.

Nights I have a chain threaded/looped and padlocked through the concrete block wall, other end I loop through the wheel and padlock.

Maybe overkill - but it's still there.

It's a deterrent - when we lived in Phuket had one 'attempt' where someone tried to remove it without noticing the chain/cable lock, left it lying on its side - but at least it was still there.

Best anti-theft protection in Thailand is -Don't buy Honda-. Nobody steals anything else.

Yeah right my Yamaha Nouvo was stolen from my locked garage, they took it out the window. Nothing else was stolen.

A bike stolen through a window! Wow- that's a new one!!! :lol:

It's that easy. I've seen them do it myself, outside Tukcom in Pattaya, a busy street in the middle of the day. They have this thing that looks like a corkscrew-handle with a screwdriver at the end instead of the corkscrew. They just stick it in and turn and that's all there is to it. The corkscrew-handle gives the torque necessary.

Honda bikes have a little slider that you can slide in front of the lock, when used that supposedly blocks for this way of stealing the bikes, but most people seems not to be bothered using it.

So did they steal the bike or did somebody (you) stop them?

I have a slider on the Fino's starting key hole as well and we always use it and thats all we use. The first + 2 years no problem so I fell pretty secure now (which properly is a bad idea, he-he)

So did they steal the bike or did somebody (you) stop them?

I have a slider on the Fino's starting key hole as well and we always use it and thats all we use. The first + 2 years no problem so I fell pretty secure now (which properly is a bad idea, he-he)

When I arrived the thief had already been apprehended but there was still a crowd around looking at the bike and the tools and discussing it... street mob style <_<

The locks are shockingly feeble. By locks I mean ignition switch. If you know anything about "bump keys" you could take any bike you want in seconds.

Sadly the ignition switches are the weakest link on a bike. I used rig a home made remote ignition to my big bikes back home. Even a remote start was possible but the main thing was to hide the wiring loom from prying eyes. Obviously not going to tell you where.. but it worked and I sold more than a few units to fellow riders at Devil's Bridge and Squires Cafe.