What Do You Feel Are The Differences Between Farangs And Thais?

Deeral

I think any country that is swamped by a much massivly disproportionate amount of 'totally unqualified ' farang teachers' that can barely speak the local language is going to have a negative impact on the education system here.

You know who you are!

Edited by newsite12

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thais are much more adept at sensing paranormal activity than we are. My wife's is constantly afraid of "Pee" when I don't have the ability to detect this.

She can also squat for a really long time and eat her body weight in bugs.

:o:lol:

I'm just saying that Ive had a BMW. You can wax all day long about the craftsmanship and quality. All that BS is just an excuse to pay way to much money for something to drive to work.

And your right I've scaled way back, by choice. I had lost my hardiness, the essence of manliness, and now I'm back in the game.

I've stopped living to buy shit I don't need.

Nothing more pathetic than a man who is soft.

But...

Rich does make an excellent analogy.

Have you seen a doctor about your loss of hardiness and essence of manlihood?

East is East, West is West.

East is now the workshop of the world and has been for a few decades.

West is falling apart from within, Banker of the world? Not for much longer...

Thailand is by fortuitous doings, in a position to reap the benefits...

East is East, West is West.

East is now the workshop of the world and has been for a few decades.

West is falling apart from within, Banker of the world? Not for much longer...

Thailand is by fortuitous doings, in a position to reap the benefits...

Agreed, but if they had sowed the seeds 20 to 30 years ago, they could have been a contender, like a mini-India. They aren't even sowing the seeds now with their poor education system. Thailand will do fine, but I see it as mostly just dumb LUCK, sorry.

If it was a generalization.........

Thais are pretty cool, Farangs are total azzholes full of self importance and totally unfounded superiority complexes.

We do have to remember that many of the Westerners who have drifted here are not exactly the cream of the crop. :D

Coming from a society that commends and aspires to solving real problems, it is difficult to see and interact with folks who have such a defeatist attitude towards thinking out of the box. Still love the regular,Thai folks though. (excluding politicians and police) I just wish some would realize that they CAN improve certain things. Just have to do it.

I think any country that is swamped by a much massivly disproportionate amount of 'totally unqualified ' farang teachers' that can barely speak the local language is going to have a negative impact on the education system here.

You know who you are!

I really had to laugh when i read this post. Sure it would be better if the teachers spoke Thai but im pretty sure they are a lot better at teaching English then their Thai counterparts. To be honest i am not impressed at all with Thai schools. I come from a country where learning foreign language's is quite normal and we had a teacher speaking only English during classes not Dutch it helped a lot.

Could you please give me some comparative data on the effect of Thai English teachers and foreign English teachers ? I know for a fact that when a Thai speaks good English he usually isn't going to work for peanuts in the Thai school system. So they are not getting the best teachers available. To be fair many of the foreign English teachers are not real teachers either but i wonder how many of the Thais are real good teachers.

OT

Yes i feel that i am better at many things then the average Thai. I think its an educational thing, however give some of the more gifted Thais some tools and he will be much better as me. It all depends on what field we are talking about.

Coming from a society that commends and aspires to solving real problems, it is difficult to see and interact with folks who have such a defeatist attitude towards thinking out of the box. Still love the regular,Thai folks though. (excluding politicians and police) I just wish some would realize that they CAN improve certain things. Just have to do it.

Most of the worlds problems are being caused by western society

(wars, resource usage, pollution, banking disasters)

Thais don't cause any problems worth talking about as far as I can see.

PJ's solution to world woes, 'stay in the box'.

PJ's solution to world woes, 'stay in the box'.

Or maybe it's "Mind your own business"

Which I feel has always been rule #1.

I'm just saying that Ive had a BMW. You can wax all day long about the craftsmanship and quality. All that BS is just an excuse to pay way to much money for something to drive to work.

And your right I've scaled way back, by choice. I had lost my hardiness, the essence of manliness, and now I'm back in the game.

I've stopped living to buy shit I don't need.

Nothing more pathetic than a man who is soft.

But...

Rich does make an excellent analogy.

Have you seen a doctor about your loss of hardiness and essence of manlihood?

Nah. Drs. just add to the problem of men being soft.

Our Grandfathers won WWII, you think they freaked out over to much sodium in their food?

Plus I avoid any professional where I pay a lot of money for someone to "practice".

except of course for their own population..... I could also venture to say that while Thai's might not cause much harm in the world, they certainly don't offer much assistance except releasing the sexual tension of aging western men.

they certainly don't offer much assistance except releasing the sexual tension of aging western men.

They deserve a Nobel Prize. That is good enough for me! :thumbsup:

I wouldnt give them the medal yet, but cash rewards are fine by me. :rolleyes:

Thais are pretty cool, Farangs are total azzholes full of self importance and totally unfounded superiority complexes.

Thai people di kwa.

YMMV.

What an incredibly stupid post to make. So monumentally stupid infact i doubt you will get the trolling impact you are after as no one will take you seriously. :)

To be perfectly frank and upfront, except for the very few that are close to me, it would not bother me if I never saw another farang again.

I would much prefer to live a among the Thais. They are a most polite, inviting people and providing we respect them, in most cases they will respect us.

Many of the farangs in Thailand are the complete opposite and with some having such low opinions of the Thais; I often wonder why these farangs are here at all?

My question is: if you are a farang and consider yourself far superior to the Thais, dislike the Thais and Thailand for whatever reasons, why are you here?

Maybe the girls have something to do with it.

We do have to remember that many of the Westerners who have drifted here are not exactly the cream of the crop. :D

^ Good Lord, isn't that the truth. There is huge number of bottom feeders here that were bottom feeders in their home country and what blows is they are the Image set forth to Thai's. I cant tell you home many times I have been asked by my GF and friends is that how all foreigners look and behave in the US.........All I can do is laugh with the Thais at the Foreigners.

I will say it does get embarrassing at times.

You know who you are!

I really had to laugh when i read this post. Sure it would be better if the teachers spoke Thai but im pretty sure they are a lot better at teaching English then their Thai counterparts. To be honest i am not impressed at all with Thai schools. I come from a country where learning foreign language's is quite normal and we had a teacher speaking only English during classes not Dutch it helped a lot.

Could you please give me some comparative data on the effect of Thai English teachers and foreign English teachers ? I know for a fact that when a Thai speaks good English he usually isn't going to work for peanuts in the Thai school system. So they are not getting the best teachers available. To be fair many of the foreign English teachers are not real teachers either but i wonder how many of the Thais are real good teachers.

OT

Yes i feel that i am better at many things then the average Thai. I think its an educational thing, however give some of the more gifted Thais some tools and he will be much better as me. It all depends on what field we are talking about.

Have to agree as I'm unable to open a drinking coconut! Thais have shown me the way it is done, but I have no doubt I would lose a few fingers if I tried :(.

^ Good Lord, isn't that the truth. There is huge number of bottom feeders here that were bottom feeders in their home country and what blows is they are the Image set forth to Thai's. I cant tell you home many times I have been asked by my GF and friends is that how all foreigners look and behave in the US.........All I can do is laugh with the Thais at the Foreigners.

Agree with all of the above. It seems that these "bottom feeders" think that they can come to a developing country and be the big fish in a small pond. But when they can't even achieve that, they rant and they rave and they complain about everything Thai. And they complain. And they complain. Maybe they just need to go find a smaller pond.

To be perfectly frank and upfront, except for the very few that are close to me, it would not bother me if I never saw another farang again.

I would much prefer to live a among the Thais. They are a most polite, inviting people and providing we respect them, in most cases they will respect us.

Many of the farangs in Thailand are the complete opposite and with some having such low opinions of the Thais; I often wonder why these farangs are here at all?

My question is: if you are a farang and consider yourself far superior to the Thais, dislike the Thais and Thailand for whatever reasons, why are you here?

I share your sentiments. And to answer your last question: They simply have nowhere else to go. Poor bastards.

Agree with all of the above. It seems that these "bottom feeders" think that they can come to a developing country and be the big fish in a small pond. But when they can't even achieve that, they rant and they rave and they complain about everything Thai. And they complain. And they complain. Maybe they just need to go find a smaller pond.

Perhaps you're right, but my experience is that the 'bottom feeders' get by just fine - its the 'normal' people that came here thinking it would be better than home that are the complainers - once they realise the 'down side'.

Perhaps you're right, but my experience is that the 'bottom feeders' get by just fine - its the 'normal' people that came here thinking it would be better than home that are the complainers - once they realise the 'down side'.

We may have to agree to disagree then, because that's not my experience. Or is it our definition of what constitutes "normal?" People who come to Thailand "expecting/accepting" it to be different to their homeland, confident inside their own skin, without financial issues, and/or know how to deal with ambiguity and uncertainty, adapt better than people who don't possess these traits. I'm not sure if that's normal or not, but these types of people do not tend to be bottom-feeders back in their homeland.

And the funny thing is those you consider 'bottom feeders' aren't those I consider 'bottom feeders'

My definition

Relatively young people without proper educational training (maybe a TEFL) working for peanuts while pretending to be schoolteachers.

No prospects for the future, living hand to mouth, using the opportunity to monger and get drunk.

I know many of these people. Always on the scrounge, always looking for a new school contract, often working without a permit, thinking it's OK to take drugs.

Your definition

The older white men with pensions and having taken a girl out of a bar are usually far more respectable and worthy.

Even a person age 65+ with a state pension from the UK has 20,000bht a month to spend (a bigger income than 95% of Thais of any age receive).

But living a different lifestyle and having much younger partners does seem to get them the envy and enmity of the younger poorer western people.

Edited by pjclark1