Male Foreigners Over 50 Outlawed From Marrying Cambodian Women

george

quote: Marriages between old men and young women are "inappropriate", Koy Kuong

said, and foreign men who wish to marry nationals must earn a high

salary to ensure that "Cambodian women can live a decent life".<br>At least he admits that for most of the Cambodian women, life sucks big time at the moment, since a high salary is needed "to ensure Cambodian women can live a decent life" and average salary in Cambodia is appr. 60 Usd. a month.<br>

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm that'll mark Cambodia off many people's lists now (and add it to a few others!) "Sorry doll, I can't marry you as I am over 50!" That could be their new tourism slogan!

You can still marry your young Thai/Vietnamese lady and live in Cambodia

You are allowed to own land and live there without a problem, you just can't marry a local girl.

"Sorry luv, I really want to marry you,but your government won't let me" .......

Sounds like the perfect country to retire to, no pressure to marry EVER!

exactly ! This protects all foreigners over 50 from getting robbed by young brides.

If foreigners over 50 get robbed by their younger spouses in Thailand the whole forum cries about it.

In cambodia however you do not run the risk of getting robbed by getting married to a 21 year old beauty.

Wonderful !!

Sorry, but anyone old enough to collect a pension should not be making babies (unless you are retired at 30 from professional sports). That is terribly unfair to the child, who deserves to have their father around and healthy enough to raise them well into adulthood, and the wife, who should not be burdened to be a widow AND a single mother. Never mind all the studies linking autism and countless other health issues to children born from older parents. Humans were not meant to breed past a certain age for many good reasons. It is just pure selfishness on behalf of the parents. If you are that desperate to have kids, there are millions of unwanted children starving or being neglected in the world, and your DNA is just not that special, anyway.

And to listen to everyone completely ignore the notion of human trafficking and forced prostitution is proof enough why Cambodia does need this law, to protect those poor women from all the predators that are already in SE Asia.

Sorry, but anyone old enough to collect a pension should not be making babies (unless you are retired at 30 from professional sports). That is terribly unfair to the child, who deserves to have their father around and healthy enough to raise them well into adulthood, and the wife, who should not be burdened to be a widow AND a single mother. Never mind all the studies linking autism and countless other health issues to children born from older parents. Humans were not meant to breed past a certain age for many good reasons. It is just pure selfishness on behalf of the parents. If you are that desperate to have kids, there are millions of unwanted children starving or being neglected in the world, and your DNA is just not that special, anyway.

And to listen to everyone completely ignore the notion of human trafficking and forced prostitution is proof enough why Cambodia does need this law, to protect those poor women from all the predators that are already in SE Asia.

Should this be drafted into international law or something? It sounds like you have a pretty specific ethos concerning this. Maybe it should even go as far as to say old people just shouldn't be having sex, period. whistling.gif

Someone in an earlier post gave an eloquent description of how he was raised primarily by his grandfather who obviously didn't last well into his adult years. This was as a result of his grandfather having ample time and his parents being quite busy so often. You should backtrack and find it. I think it debunks your statement about middle aged people taking care of kids quite effectively.

Of course you are right about couples who are advanced in years having children in relation to autism etc., however I think this gets cut down considerably or negated when the mother is still youthful, but the father is older. I've seen evidence of it both ways. When the mother is older there seems to be a higher probability of some sort of problem, however, from what I've seen, the kids from an older father and young mother turn out just fine.

As far as morality goes, I can't see where you get your ideas on this issue. Some people just get the chance to start a family late in life. It happens. If you were talking about parents who are still too young I might see your point, but it seems to me that with an older parent the kid is more likely to be in good hands, as well as receiving a nice monetary buffer in the last will and testament left behind. Many aren't so lucky.

Good :)

Serves you old pervs right and we might hear less rip off cases .... which get just as old.

I always have to laugh when I hear this sort of comment coming from some young perv, who perhaps thinks his still being young makes him any less a perv. The joke is on you my friend, because, as hard as it may be for you to comprehend, you will will actually be an old man yourself, and it won't be such a long time from now. With every year, you will find that time passes more quickly. It flies by, and then, if you are lucky enough to still have a sex drive, and still have an appreciation of young women, and the money to indulge it, then you, too, will be an old perv. So any shots you take at the "old pervs," will come round back to you. In the big picture, you are only shooting at yourself. And if you really, then, look at yourself as an "old perv," then fine you can feel miserable and berate yourself for enjoying the charms of young ladies. Too bad for you. As for me, I am loving it!

Good :)

Serves you old pervs right and we might hear less rip off cases .... which get just as old.

I always have to laugh when I hear this sort of comment coming from some young perv, who perhaps thinks his still being young makes him any less a perv. The joke is on you my friend, because, as hard as it may be for you to comprehend, you will will actually be an old man yourself, and it won't be such a long time from now. With every year, you will find that time passes more quickly. It flies by, and then, if you are lucky enough to still have a sex drive, and still have an appreciation of young women, and the money to indulge it, then you, too, will be an old perv. So any shots you take at the "old pervs," will come round back to you. In the big picture, you are only shooting at yourself. And if you really, then, look at yourself as an "old perv," then fine you can feel miserable and berate yourself for enjoying the charms of young ladies. Too bad for you. As for me, I am loving it!

Yeah Sam666's comment is just retarded. laugh.gif

It reminds me of when I was a teenager and thought I was right about everything, and that, naturally, all the stupid, old people were absolutely wrong. Thank god I was around elders who simply smirked and let me walk into every trap. It was good for me, and I'm stronger and wiser because of it.

wink.gif

Sorry, but anyone old enough to collect a pension should not be making babies (unless you are retired at 30 from professional sports). That is terribly unfair to the child, who deserves to have their father around and healthy enough to raise them well into adulthood, and the wife, who should not be burdened to be a widow AND a single mother.

So then you must think that divorce should be illegal, and that single women should not be allowed to have children by artificial insemination. Because in this age of very high divorce rates(50%+/-), there are many, many kids who've grown up without a father. I recently did a good bit of business with a young man, and we ended up becoming close friends. I met his mother, and one day I asked him about his father. He had never met the man, and knew very little about him. This was a fantastic guy, bright, very successful, charming, good-looking,popular with the ladies, and seemed quite happy and well-adjusted. I'm sure his mom deserves some of the credit, and she never has any help or financial support from a man.

So, while it is, of course, nice for children to have a mom and a dad, it is simply not a must, and not a prerequisite for a child to grow into a normal, well-adjusted person. Just from my personal experience, not making any generalizations, and I grew up in the age of the "generation gap," but the fact is that I knew a lot of boys who did not have a father, due to their mom being widowed or divorced, and strangely enough, they seemed more well-adjusted and happy than the average boy. They avoided the whole coming of age phenomenon whereby the father dictated their behavior, and they either unhappily chafed under the bit or rebelled in open conflict against him. In either case, teen years seemed a much more troubled time for those of us with fathers, than the ones without fathers.

So, when you consider all the advantages a child will have when his mom is married to a "rich" farang, the child is in many ways, better off for it. If and when the father dies, the child and his mom will likely have some inheritance or pension to see them through. Much better off than the many struggling single Thai and Khmer moms with no such help. And the relatively well-off mom will still be young enough to have a whole new life with a new husband, if she chooses that path.

I think your views are a bit antiquated and don't really hold up to logical scutiny.

Edited by Jaybee2

March 18, 2020

Rueters

Cambodian courts today jailed 51 year old, James Alger, a British national, for 8 years after he was convicted of having sex with a 41 year old prostitute.

The victims chidren, both in their 20s, said their mother was shocked to find that her short-time partner was over 50, as he had assured her he was only 45.

Alert staff at the 5 star hotel where he was staying recounted seeing him bring the woman back to the hotel and then alerting police. "We were amazed that he would have the audacity to take a woman back to his room when he must have known we saw his age on his passport upon check in". Police colonel Syet Sor said he regretted not being able to break into the room in time to stop the act happening.

Alger's 25 year old daugher expressed horror at her fathers behaviour after the sentencing, but laid some of the blame with British lawmakers who last year voted down the "mandatory castration for men at age 50" bill for those who intend travelling overseas.

Edited by clausewitz

March 18, 2020

Rueters

Cambodian courts today jailed 51 year old, James Alger, a British national, for 8 years after he was convicted of having sex with a 41 year old prostitute.

The victims chidren, both in their 20s, said their mother was shocked to find that her short-time partner was over 50, as he had assured her he was only 45.

Alert staff at the 5 star hotel where he was staying recounted seeing him bring the woman back to the hotel and then alerting police. "We were amazed that he would have the audacity to take a woman back to his room when he must have known we saw his age on his passport upon check in". Police colonel Syet Sor said he regretted not being able to break into the room in time to stop the act happening.

Alger's 25 year old daugher expressed horror at her fathers behaviour after the sentencing, but laid some of the blame with British lawmakers who last year voted down the "mandatory castration for men at age 50" bill for those who intend travelling overseas.

Ridiculous!................. 41 + 51 = 8 yrs. .. Castration before enterin' Cambodia is OK for all Foreigners. I'll support otherwise there will be many cases similar to Alger's. By now, I think they are serious from what we can see here.

Do you ever hear the word Thailand outside of Thailand without some snickering joke being made about prostitutes?

I'm from California. I've never heard any snickering joke or any sort of reference to being made about prostitutes, when Thailand is mentioned in conversation here. Which is often sinceThai food is very popular here, there are many Thai restaurants, some Thai massage shops, and many Thais in CA. Also many from CA have vacationed in Thailand. Never heard that sort talk. Not once. So I guess it says more about what the people are like where you come from than anything else.

Edited by Jaybee2

Seems the creator had a plan by stopping women from having babies after menopause. So far so good we agree. But I guess you took over the role of the creator when it comes to men.

What would you do sterilize men after the age of 50?

Jack O'Sullivan, co-founder of Fathers Direct argues that the advantages to late fatherhood outweigh the disadvantages. "Research shows that old fathers are three times more likely to take regular responsibility for a young child. They are more likely to be fathers by choice and this means that they become more positively involved with the child. They behave more like mothers, smiling at the baby and gurgling ."

Celebrity older fathers include: Tony Blair (at 45), Ken Livingstone (at 57), Mick Hucknall (at 47), David Bowie (at 53), Mick Jagger (at 57), Phil Collins (at 51), Rupert Murdoch (at 72), Michael Douglas (at 58), Des O'Connor (at 72), Gordon Brown (at 54), Rod Stewart (at 60), Paul McCartney (at 61), David Jason (61), Eric Clapton (at 59), John Humphrys (at 56), John Simpson (at 61), Julio Iglesias Sr. (father of the singer Julio, at 89), Charlie Chaplin (at 73), Augustus John (at 47), Saul Bellow (at 84), Anthony Quinn (at 81) Pablo Picasso (at 68) and Luciano Pavarotti (twins at 67), Jonathan Dimbleby (at 62), David Letterman (at 56), Larry King (at 65 and 66), Woody Allen (at 51), Warren Beatty (at 62), and Jack Nicholson (at 53), Mike Oldfield (at 54), Rick Parfitt (at 59), Van Morrison (allegedly at 64), Kevin Costner (at 55), Rod Stewart (will be father at 66), Kelsey Grammer (will be father at 55), Ritchie Blackmore (father at 65).

Do you ever hear the word Thailand outside of Thailand without some snickering joke being made about prostitutes?

I'm from California. I've never heard any snickering joke or any sort of reference to being made about prostitutes, when Thailand is mentioned in conversation here. Which is often sinceThai food is very popular here, there are many Thai restaurants, some Thai massage shops, and many Thais in CA. Also many from CA have vacationed in Thailand. Never heard that sort talk. Not once. So I guess it says more about what the people are like where you come from than anything else.

That's funny. I lived in Cali for decades and most certainly HAVE heard such jokes. Even from Thai Americans (overheard in Thai restaurants, ha ha). Thai hooker and sex deviancy humor is also very commonly found in mainstream Hollywood movies. So I find your assertion not credible. I am not saying it is right or fair, just saying it is so.

Edited by Jingthing

Oh well done!

So now they have an excuse not to marry the girl and abuse them anyway and can leave the poor girl without any legal recourse! Excellent work by the far thinking do-gooders!

The way the story plays out is foreigners marrying, and then because they can get a visa for a 'wife', returning with them to Korea and abusing them.

edit to spell it out more clearly --- no marraige=no visa to Kr=no abuse

Edited by jdinasia

Seems the creator had a plan by stopping women from having babies after menopause. So far so good we agree. But I guess you took over the role of the creator when it comes to men.

What would you do sterilize men after the age of 50?

Jack O'Sullivan, co-founder of Fathers Direct argues that the advantages to late fatherhood outweigh the disadvantages. "Research shows that old fathers are three times more likely to take regular responsibility for a young child. They are more likely to be fathers by choice and this means that they become more positively involved with the child. They behave more like mothers, smiling at the baby and gurgling ."

Celebrity older fathers include: Tony Blair (at 45), Ken Livingstone (at 57), Mick Hucknall (at 47), David Bowie (at 53), Mick Jagger (at 57), Phil Collins (at 51), Rupert Murdoch (at 72), Michael Douglas (at 58), Des O'Connor (at 72), Gordon Brown (at 54), Rod Stewart (at 60), Paul McCartney (at 61), David Jason (61), Eric Clapton (at 59), John Humphrys (at 56), John Simpson (at 61), Julio Iglesias Sr. (father of the singer Julio, at 89), Charlie Chaplin (at 73), Augustus John (at 47), Saul Bellow (at 84), Anthony Quinn (at 81) Pablo Picasso (at 68) and Luciano Pavarotti (twins at 67), Jonathan Dimbleby (at 62), David Letterman (at 56), Larry King (at 65 and 66), Woody Allen (at 51), Warren Beatty (at 62), and Jack Nicholson (at 53), Mike Oldfield (at 54), Rick Parfitt (at 59), Van Morrison (allegedly at 64), Kevin Costner (at 55), Rod Stewart (will be father at 66), Kelsey Grammer (will be father at 55), Ritchie Blackmore (father at 65).

Creator? Sir, are you a freemason by chance?

From initial thoughts this new law,that Farangs over 50,can't Marry Cambodian Women, but doesn't say they can't have a Relationship with Cambodian Women,

Seems to me this could be a Blessing in Disquise for Farang Men,Relationships won't be taken for granted anymore,when the man,can move on at any time,without looking back.And insecurity for the women.who will have no Marital Rights,or legal Redress to his assets when the man dies.

Seems the Government are not thinking too clearly, or too far ahead here.

Edited by MAJIC

Oh well done!

So now they have an excuse not to marry the girl and abuse them anyway and can leave the poor girl without any legal recourse! Excellent work by the far thinking do-gooders!

The way the story plays out is foreigners marrying, and then because they can get a visa for a 'wife', returning with them to Korea and abusing them.

And why ain't they specify that No Go to Only the korean then?

Oh well done!

And why ain't they specify that No Go to Only the korean then?

And lose all of the Korean tourist market for being bigots? Easier (not smarter) to make a law that encompasses all foreigners. I am betting that this won' really make a dent in the business of human-trafficking etc at all and instead is just a way to appease some NGO with $$.

Surely the age barrier is a minority in human trafficking, not a majority percentage or is Cambodia in its usual witch hunting corruption, stating the majority of marriages over 50's is connected with human trafficking? What a croc and how absurd in a country still hiding in fear of reprisal from Khmer. Perhaps they need to establish an "Inquisition" and public floggings into anyone interested in marrying a Cambodian when over the age of 50. Cambodia is still in the Dark Ages.

You can't be happy all your life - you have to get married sooner or later! I waited until 53 and have a wonderful 33 year old Thai wife (at the time) and 2 great kids now. Maybe I'm not normal... it has been said! blink.gif Thank God I didn't chose a Cambodian girl!

Pervert.

Exactly, he wasn't joking man. I think he was making the comment that the international image is that a man with a Thai woman is also with a prostitute. Sorry if it offends you, but this image does exist. I'm married to a Thai woman as well, with a son, but I don't take offense to this comment. It's just the way it is and, hey, look around. There are a lot of prostitutes and ladyboys for that matter. whistling.gif

I hate when Thais mistake the prostitute I am with for my wife. :D

Exactly, he wasn't joking man. I think he was making the comment that the international image is that a man with a Thai woman is also with a prostitute. Sorry if it offends you, but this image does exist. I'm married to a Thai woman as well, with a son, but I don't take offense to this comment. It's just the way it is and, hey, look around. There are a lot of prostitutes and ladyboys for that matter. whistling.gif

I hate when Thais mistake the prostitute I am with for my wife. :D

My daughter(39 years old) was visiting and told me the lady she saw me with was a “saucy little wench.” It was my girlfriend's mother who I was taking to the market.

I think my daughter meant it as a compliment.

What to say? I just nodded my head.

Should this be drafted into international law or something? It sounds like you have a pretty specific ethos concerning this. Maybe it should even go as far as to say old people just shouldn't be having sex, period. whistling.gif

Someone in an earlier post gave an eloquent description of how he was raised primarily by his grandfather who obviously didn't last well into his adult years. This was as a result of his grandfather having ample time and his parents being quite busy so often. You should backtrack and find it. I think it debunks your statement about middle aged people taking care of kids quite effectively.

Of course you are right about couples who are advanced in years having children in relation to autism etc., however I think this gets cut down considerably or negated when the mother is still youthful, but the father is older. I've seen evidence of it both ways. When the mother is older there seems to be a higher probability of some sort of problem, however, from what I've seen, the kids from an older father and young mother turn out just fine.

As far as morality goes, I can't see where you get your ideas on this issue. Some people just get the chance to start a family late in life. It happens. If you were talking about parents who are still too young I might see your point, but it seems to me that with an older parent the kid is more likely to be in good hands, as well as receiving a nice monetary buffer in the last will and testament left behind. Many aren't so lucky.

DF I have to agree with you. Looking at it from a practicality approach, many "older" guys have had previous experience in raising children and having a second family is not as much of a learning experience as the first. Also, the older parent will most likely be financially stable and set up the family for the future. I believe Thai wives are looking at that as well.

As you say TAWP. Holy crap!

Howwver- if this bit is true;

That ban followed an International Organisation for Migration report that said many Cambodian brides suffered abuse after moving to South Korea in marriages hastily arranged by brokers who made large profits.

I don't know this organisation, is this a genuine issue that I've been ignorant of?

Yes

Uh-oh, I'm 46, does this mean I need to run out and marry a Cambodian woman?

I'm not clear on what is so fantastic about them that they cut us off at 50? My analogy would be the barkeep who cuts me off after 10 beers. "Wait a minute, I'm just getting warmed up"!

March 18, 2020

Rueters

Ridiculous!................. 41 + 51 = 8 yrs. .. Castration before enterin' Cambodia is OK for all Foreigners. I'll support otherwise there will be many cases similar to Alger's. By now, I think they are serious from what we can see here.

You are not very bright are you? Anybody with an ounce of common sense would recognise this post as a parody. Borrow a dictionary and look up sarcasm.

March 18, 2020

Rueters

You are not very bright are you? Anybody with an ounce of common sense would recognise this post as a parody. Borrow a dictionary and look up sarcasm.

:cheesy: