Male Foreigners Over 50 Outlawed From Marrying Cambodian Women

george

I know a couple of guys here in CMai whom felt they had the perfect plan in terms of having their women be totally dependant on them. Without a dam thing they can do about any unjust treatment they receive. These guys are in their 50s and 60s, so this plan may not work now.

1) Marry a Cambodian young girl and bring her to Thailand to live.

2) She has no rights in Thailand yet can go on husbands THAi retirement Visa.

3) She cannot demand things like houses, etc as she not Thai, so she totally dependant.

4) The girls must live with the knowledge that they are in fact totally dependant on the man.

5) They have children they are citizens of Husbands homeland only- thus own the children.

6) One girl in fact is asked to make 'extra' money for the husband whilst he plays with others- in reality she back on the streets of Cambodia if she refuses the husband in anyway. The other takes good care of his girl- so in reality it should be on a case by case basis. IMO.

* These guys have performed this after several issues with Thai women and not being able to get as pretty and young girls as they would wish in Thailand for long periods of time. Naturally anyone with a few bucks can get the young and pretty for a short period of time- lets face it. As Thais obviously have far more rights in Thailand than Farangs or Cambodians, etc.

Now the problem with guys under 50 marrying a Cambodian teenager or youngster and doing the same thing is you must return to Cambodia every 3 months. In general you must marry the Cambodian girl to remain with her for many trips overseas. That all stops when you turn 50 and live on retirement Visa and she can go onto this VISA. So this little racket may stop now also... The number 50yo was an interesting pick- was it based on the Thai Visa rules or simply coincidence. As 50+ and 25-30 is pretty common in this part of the world.

What about existing marriages- this will be interesting? Will they be be recognized if you 65yo and your girl 18yo- as the guys I know in Thailand.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're missing the point as presumably you do not have a teenage daughter from a Thai wife. If you did, you'd care VERY much that everyone assumed your daughter was a hooker!

No I am not missing the point. And you have no idea if I have a daughter, biological or not.

I will not live my life to suit some bigoted idiot's view of how the world should be. I frankly don't give a dam_n what repressed jerks believe as their opinions are not worth a warm kettle of spit. If I choose to care for the daughter of a woman from her previous relationship, well, that is of interest to me, to my new wife, and to the daughter. No one else. And screw anyone who take issue with it.

And if a 90 year old farang great grandpa wants to marry his 20 year old Thai honeywa, well screw anyone who takes issue with that, too. It's none of our freaking business.

well said

You're missing the point as presumably you do not have a teenage daughter from a Thai wife. If you did, you'd care VERY much that everyone assumed your daughter was a hooker!

Here, everyone assumes its his g/f, wife etc.

You didn't mention hookers before .......

Don't worry, F1fan had a traumatic experience with one and it taints her outlook somewhat. Otherwise it would just be another narrow-minded view on the realities and practicalities of SE Asian ways.

Turkmenistan (which has some truly gorgeous women) had a law passed several years ago by their previous 'President for life' that required any foreign male seeking a Turkmen bride to pay the Turkmen government a non-refundable US$20,000 bond before the marriage could be approved.

Jingthing, if you are still shopping, there is no such price tag on the Turkmen male.

Thank you for proving that some people have to resort to denigrating a poster rather than replying on the points made.

I have discovered a solution to this problem.

Look, no one wants us over 50s anyway. I read somewhere that once we reach the age of 50 and above we become invisible to young beautiful girls, no longer of any attraction to them.

It`s either settle down with some old hag who in desperation would marry anyone or to stay and live alone in a life of solitude, sadness and unloved.

So what’s the solution?

Why not try out one of the new latex face and body rejuvenation appearance face and body kits, freely available for purchase at any Tesco Lotus store. You will not see these kits on the shelves but just ask for my brother in law, Khun Noi, he can supply you with the whole works for only 60000 baht.

Below is an example and a photo of my friend, Max wearing the full latex kit.

Hard to believe he is well into his late 60s. Last I heard he is on his way to Cambodia right now to ask the parents of his beautiful 17 year old bride to be, KUNN thee, for their blessing to take her hand in marriage.

post-110219-0-25835000-1300351066_thumb.

post-110219-0-10192700-1300351084_thumb.

So what is the average salary of a Cambodian guy who wants to marry ? :huh:

I guess, it's more likely, the prime minister want keep his peaple low educated, so he can rule cambo for a couple more decades. I gness he don't like cambo womans get married with foreigners anyway, because the next generation would getting smart and cambo could face similar problems like the middle east now.

Anyway, in my opinion, they can keep their womans. Maybe Cambo males can married them and give them a "decent life" for 2'500 USD per month. There are other countries on this world to get a "decent" woman, than cambo.

The law has some merit. I for one am sickened by what I see here in Thailand all too often. Some old dude cruzing around with his young 20 something bride and the little baby in tow. Which I might add that baby inevitably grows up without a father after he turns over from old age . And men enslaving thier 'wives' as prostitutes in thier homeland is another problem.

However it also has some laughable conditions. $2550 per month is a joke.If a Cambodian was on $2550k a month they would be in the high society group in Phnom Phen. Also the age thing should be adjusted to an age differential as opposed to the 'cannot marry' for over 50 year olds. So what they are saying is that a 51 year old foriegner wants to marry a 49 year old Khmer then that it against the law. Please.:lol:

So you infer that it is OK for a 51 year old man and a 49 year old woman to marry. But it is wrong for some old dude to have a 20 something bride? Where is the dividing line? 40 with a 30? 35 with a 30?

Give me a break. You can be sickened all you want, but it is none of your freaking business if two people want to marry and have a kid.

It will matter in the future. To repeat a previous post:

"If one sees an old man with a young woman in the West - everyone assumes its his daughter, grand-daughter etc. Here, everyone assumes its his g/f, wife etc.

At the moment its not too much of a problem as the assumption is correct 99% of the time, but what will happen in the future now that so many farangs have retired here and had children with their Thai wives?

They are going to find it v tough when everyone assumes their daughter - is their g/f/wife."

My daughters in the West range in age from 25 to 50 years of age. My ex wives in the West range in age from 25 to 68. Life is a bowl of cherries. You all take this age thing too serious. Given the range of age between my wives and children unless you knew my family one would never know who was a wife or a daughter. It never bothered me, my daughters nor anyone who ever knew me that I cared about.

My mother, bless her soul even had one Christmas dinner with all of the ex wives and children in attendance (and I lived to tell the tale).

My restaurant also delivered meals to go. A strip club a couple of miles away was one of my biggest customers. My daughters regularly delivered food to the club. They got offered jobs every time they went. Did it bother me? Heck no. All of my children went to college and have good jobs why would they want to be a drugged up dancer.

Any attractive woman who works in a bar or hotel is going to get propositioned by men.

If you have raised your daughters well you will not have to worry about things like that.

So we have a site called THAIvisa in a forum that is called THAIland news and there is a topic about Cambodia?

Seems strange but understandable because it will attract the most visitors, going against 'forum rules' in that case is acceptable?

Regionally it's quite valid news, though, considering that Thailand and Cambodia are so similar in this regard. An evolution of the law could get proposed here, although I doubt it, or the results of said law in Cambodia could affect the political landscape here due to the subject matter. So, yes, it seems quite valid to me. wink.gif

Yeh well,woody Allen don't give a hoot,neither does rolling stone Ron Wood etc...,ohhhh,they live in the real world,they can do this....so on so on so on,just another silly rule for a purpose yet to be known, but we are all having fun on such a rainy day....lol

Wait for a sunny day first, the moods will be better,Thailand is what you make of it, you can whinge and live here or you can enjoy and live here, goodluck

hey guys -I am moving to Chiang Mai in a month and find this forum at times very useful and interesting although i also find so many negative posts about life in Thailand it's almost put me off coming.

Can you advise me how to start a new topic as I have lots of questions

thanks

The law has some merit. I for one am sickened by what I see here in Thailand all too often. Some old dude cruzing around with his young 20 something bride and the little baby in tow. Which I might add that baby inevitably grows up without a father after he turns over from old age . And men enslaving thier 'wives' as prostitutes in thier homeland is another problem.

However it also has some laughable conditions. $2550 per month is a joke.If a Cambodian was on $2550k a month they would be in the high society group in Phnom Phen. Also the age thing should be adjusted to an age differential as opposed to the 'cannot marry' for over 50 year olds. So what they are saying is that a 51 year old foriegner wants to marry a 49 year old Khmer then that it against the law. Please.:lol:

So you infer that it is OK for a 51 year old man and a 49 year old woman to marry. But it is wrong for some old dude to have a 20 something bride? Where is the dividing line? 40 with a 30? 35 with a 30?

Give me a break. You can be sickened all you want, but it is none of your freaking business if two people want to marry and have a kid.

It will matter in the future. To repeat a previous post:

"If one sees an old man with a young woman in the West - everyone assumes its his daughter, grand-daughter etc. Here, everyone assumes its his g/f, wife etc.

At the moment its not too much of a problem as the assumption is correct 99% of the time, but what will happen in the future now that so many farangs have retired here and had children with their Thai wives?

They are going to find it v tough when everyone assumes their daughter - is their g/f/wife."

My daughters in the West range in age from 25 to 50 years of age. My ex wives in the West range in age from 25 to 68. Life is a bowl of cherries. You all take this age thing too serious. Given the range of age between my wives and children unless you knew my family one would never know who was a wife or a daughter. It never bothered me, my daughters nor anyone who ever knew me that I cared about.

My mother, bless her soul even had one Christmas dinner with all of the ex wives and children in attendance (and I lived to tell the tale).

My restaurant also delivered meals to go. A strip club a couple of miles away was one of my biggest customers. My daughters regularly delivered food to the club. They got offered jobs every time they went. Did it bother me? Heck no. All of my children went to college and have good jobs why would they want to be a drugged up dancer.

Any attractive woman who works in a bar or hotel is going to get propositioned by men.

If you have raised your daughters well you will not have to worry about things like that.

Yeah, right. A daughter working in a bar in the West is entirely different to a daughter working in a bar here.

If you have raised your Thai daughters well they would not contemplate working in bars here. Its a problem that many Westerners will have to face in the future (unless they are wealthy enough to pay for their grown-up daughters lifestyle).

Yeah, right. A daughter working in a bar in the West is entirely different to a daughter working in a bar here.

If you have raised your Thai daughters well they would not contemplate working in bars here. Its a problem that many Westerners will have to face in the future (unless they are wealthy enough to pay for their grown-up daughters lifestyle).

1) You still changed your assumptions (unfairly) from a man's wife/gf to hooker ... with no explanation.

2) Though they are fewer and further between, there are certainly bars in the West that no man would want his daughter working in just as there are bars in Thailand that a man wouldn't mind his daughter working in.

1) You still changed your assumptions (unfairly) from a man's wife/gf to hooker ... with no explanation.

2) Though they are fewer and further between, there are certainly bars in the West that no man would want his daughter working in just as there are bars in Thailand that a man wouldn't mind his daughter working in.

Looking forward to you posting a list of bars in which farangs would be happy to see their daughters working.

Edited by F1fanatic

What ever the motives may be, i know that many Thai men resent and feel they are losing face because Thai women find them repulsive in their ways, they have the opportunity to chose a so called better and easier life,with a farang, high ranking officials,probably feel thay are being seen as dickless and inadiquate to fulfill a womans desires, and are really pissed off,...just a thought...:whistling:

So why these "repulsive" straight Thai men do not get things right. Shower, shave, stop drinking etc... They are repulsive indeed.

What Thai men do you guys regularly come across? I'm a relatively hygienic person, but I've found that Thai people in general take it to another level. I haven't met hardly any Thai men who don't shave and bathe regularly (often two showers per day), not to mention keeping neat, pressed clothes. I usually look like a slob by comparison b/c I don't really care if I skip shaving for a couple days.

What I've noticed is that a very solid percentage of Thai men just don't commit to a woman very well. Okay, yeah, they drink, maybe gamble too, but I drink also. Big deal. More than anything I've seen Thai women get fed up with the men due to infidelity, and then just get to throw on the drinking etc. onto the pile of complaints. I don't know maybe I'm surrounded by proper Thais. Perhaps I should try living in the country for a while.

Exactly. The ONLY farang men I've met have not a bloody clue as to the 'Thai Man', apart from those patronising bastards who claim their pool cleaner/handyman/gardener/mechanic to be 'their 'mate'' Ha! I've also a not so sneaking suspicion, having observed them alone with Thai men, they (the farang men) are afraid of them, not knowing how to conduct themselves faced with the true (non bar GIRL) side of Thai culture. It's funny and pathetic at the same time.

They don't bother to understand their Thai 'girlfriend/wives' culture, rarely eating Thai food or bothering with the most fundamental phrases 'apart from one more Chang kup', so why would they bother being truly knowledgeable about Thai men (who I too have found much more concerned with their personal hygiene than their farang counterparts).

As to your second point regards infidelity/alcoholism, again, the majority of farang men meet these girls in bars. Those who have been deserted by these 'particular' Thai husbands and have assuaged their guilt at taking advantage of them, by paying them for sexual services. Stop deluding yourselves. Robin Bloody Hood you ain't.

And by the way, a Thai woman, ANY Thai woman having to sell her arse in a bar, would much prefer a sturdily built, beautifully skinned, softly spoken Thai man over a flatulent fatmouthed farang, any day. That's why the younger ones always keep their Thai boyfriends/husbands in the background.

I have had three long term relationships with Thai women. The first, neither my GF or her daughter (18) would have anything to do with the father. He left them and did not provide anything for the daughters care or education. He was and is a member of an elite guard unit in the Thai Army in Bangkok. He is a good looking tall man and has had a number of wives and girlfriends after his first wife, my GF.

The second lady's husband had a mia noi she kicked him out. She will not see him or take any phone calls from him.

The third was a bit of a butterfly and the husband beat her up for playing around on him and took their two children to live with his family. He calls her to ask for money and she avoids his phone calls and won't see him because he only asks her for money for the children and I think it makes her feel guilty.

So in my experience, that I can vouch for, most Thai women don't want to see the ex husband.

Your next point, do bar girls have Thai boyfriends?

Yes, at least one and I know one who has 10. There are a lot of different reasons for this and one is sex another is status. Another is drugs. Since 95% of bar girls work only in Thai on Thai bars this is also true for Thai bar girls servicing only Thai men.

Do all Thai women prefer Thai men? No. Do most Thai women prefer Thai men? Yes.

Almost all Thai women I have met prefer a man who does not drink or drinks moderately. Almost all Thai women I have met prefer a man who is clean shaven and not smelly and not fat.

Thai people tell their significant other that they like fat people but I think they are being untruthful.

Thai women tell their significant other that they don't like men who punch them and I think they are being truthful when they say this.

Would the average Thai man prefer a Thai woman? All things being equal I would say yes. Would the average Thai woman prefer a Thai woman? Again all things being equal I would say yes.

Would the average 60 year old Falang in Thailand prefer a Falang women of 60 years of age? I would say no. Would the average 60 year old Falang woman in Thailand prefer a 60 year old Falang man? I don't have a clue.

Looking forward to you posting a list of where farangs would be happy to see their daughters working.

1) You are avoiding the number 1 above --- apparently because you knew that the assumption of wife/gf/daughter is a losing argument -- so you changed it to hooker.

2) Read what I wrote again (wouldn't mind is not the same as "happy". That being said The Peninsula, Grande Sheraton, 4 Seasons etc etc etc are all acceptable places.

Looking forward to you posting a list of where farangs would be happy to see their daughters working.

1) You are avoiding the number 1 above --- apparently because you knew that the assumption of wife/gf/daughter is a losing argument -- so you changed it to hooker.

2) Read what I wrote again (wouldn't mind is not the same as "happy". That being said The Peninsula, Grande Sheraton, 4 Seasons etc etc etc are all acceptable places.

I was only avoiding number 1 because I preferred to be more subtle and not refer to farangs' wives as 'hookers'!

I was only avoiding number 1 because I preferred to be more subtle and not refer to farangs' wives as 'hookers'!

Clearly baiting/flaming ... but hey .....

Which is exactly what I thought you were doing. I can only assume that if the shoe were on the other foot you would object to any characterization of women and suggesting that most marry for a variety of reasons and a major one is security and the financial wherewithal to raise children.

Now you avoided the list but that's OK too ... I could keep adding to the list but the point has been made I think.

Clearly baiting/flaming ... but hey .....

Which is exactly what I thought you were doing. I can only assume that if the shoe were on the other foot you would object to any characterization of women and suggesting that most marry for a variety of reasons and a major one is security and the financial wherewithal to raise children.

Now you avoided the list but that's OK too ... I could keep adding to the list but the point has been made I think.

You're right! I've certainly lost track of any points you were making in response to my original post...

Which I repeat here:

"And there's the difference between 'normal' life in the West and 'normal' life here!

If one sees an old man with a young woman in the West - everyone assumes its his daughter, grand-daughter etc. Here, everyone assumes its his g/f, wife etc.

I've honestly no idea how you managed to twist my post so badly!

Edited by F1fanatic

I took a quick look at Khmer440 where they are discussing the same issue....

Here we are up to post #266, there they are up to post #69. :whistling: It's curious that people seem to be much more excited about this issue here than people living in Cambodia are!:blink:

You're right! I've certainly lost track of any points you were making in response to my original post...

Which I repeat here:

"And there's the difference between 'normal' life in the West and 'normal' life here!

If one sees an old man with a young woman in the West - everyone assumes its his daughter, grand-daughter etc. Here, everyone assumes its his g/f, wife etc.

I've honestly no idea how you managed to twist my post so badly!

You summed up your POV quite nicely when you stereotyped both foreign men and their Thai wives with this statement.

mostly, when you walk with a Thai or Cambodian woman , They assume she 's a whore............... trust me....dude

Trust me dude when she is wearing her school Principals uniform with all the gold stripes no one thinks she is a whore. The lady doctor I used to pick up at the hospital? Nope, no one thought she was a whore. I worked with the Thai Navy for a number of years and the ladies I went to lunch with were mostly in uniform. No one thought they were whores. Thai towns are small if not in size then in attitude. Everyone within a few weeks had the complete biography of myself and any lady friend I might have. Trust me dude, they know who I am with.

mostly, when you walk with a Thai or Cambodian woman , They assume she 's a whore............... trust me....dude

Not true

I know a very nice Canadian gentleman with a Cambodian wife (similar age to him 50ish).

We were all sitting in CU Corner in ChiangMai, having a drink and one of the waitresses said to him ....... "Oh, you have brought your mother"

We couldn't control the laughter!

You should change your post to read ....... walk with a Thai or Cambodian woman half your age .......

Hmmm that'll mark Cambodia off many people's lists now (and add it to a few others!) "Sorry doll, I can't marry you as I am over 50!" That could be their new tourism slogan!

Hold on a minute. What a great get out clause. :lol:

jb1

Not true

I know a very nice Canadian gentleman with a Cambodian wife (similar age to him 50ish).

We were all sitting in CU Corner in ChiangMai, having a drink and one of the waitresses said to him ....... "Oh, you have brought your mother"

We couldn't control the laughter!

You should change your post to read ....... walk with a Thai or Cambodian woman half your age .......

Very true PJ, good post.

If your partner is of a similar age group and dresses, as the Thais say; politely, then I think everyone would just view you as a normal couple.

If you are 20 plus years older than your partner, especially if the partner dresses like an out of work bargirl, then people will either believe that the girl is a whore, rent a wife or just in it for the money that all amounts to the same thing. And in fact the peoples assumptions are usually correct.

Edited by Beetlejuice