Dangerous Rain

petedk

Before anyone starts knocking me .. No, I don't believe a word of it but it seems a huge number of Thais do.

Apparently there is an email circulating warning people not to go out in the rain as it contains radiation from the nuclear reactor in Japan. I have had 4 or 5 phone calls telling to me stay indoors and I have noticed that the streets around here are very very quiet. I also took the boat on Klong Saen Saep which is normally packed and today there were several seats available.

Is there another reason Thai people are not going out this evening or are they really afraid of the fallout?

I tried to convince everyone that there is no danger but they don't believe me as the email came from "an official organization". Whatever that is.

Interesting. I wonder if the majority of Thais have a full concept of how far away Japan is in kilometers (not to mention the radiation level that does travel)?

Few Americans do, don't see why it'd be different here

Edited by DP25

The fallout from Tchernobyl passed over where I was living at the time. I suspect that far more people died from cancer in the years that followed than would have done had the accident not occurred.

That said, for the time being the Japan radiation (and there isnt that much of it, so far :unsure:) is currently being carried towards the US mainland, not here. The Americans are welcome to it.

If the level increases and the wind carries it this way I may well make that an excuse to pop back to Europe for a prolonged Songkran break.

Is there another reason Thai people are not going out this evening or are they really afraid of the fallout?

Too cold to go outside this evening, low 70s already!

Hmmm cold and wet ---- there is usually nobody out when it is cold and wet!

Oh, is there a discount for two?

well, if you buy two, then I'll throw in a few rubbish bags for full body protection..

Otherwise known as complete chemical and radiation protection black armoured suits.

I think you need to market your wares a little better simon.

No wonder my girlfriend has been glowing in the dark lately, although this effect has created huge savings on our electricity bills.

As for my Thai neighbors, they normally only venture out during the night anyway, usually during the phases of the full moon.

Where is the source of the apparant email and information? Who phoned the OP to warn him and could you post a copy or this email with email address of sender and origin?

Or is this another I heard from a man in a bar story.

Edited by Beetlejuice

:coffee1: , Darling, look out the window, has the wind changed direction. :rolleyes:

At least she may look out of the window, your post count suggests that you're on ThaiVisa all of your waking hours with no time to look out of the windows at all.

I bet you never thought you'd end up spending all of your waking hours tapping out endless, meaningless posts on an anonymous internet forum, you could have stayed in the UK and done that, I'll also bet that you tell your family or friends what a wonderful life you have in Thailand carefully leaving out the fact that you spend all day long indoors in front of a PC, never actually seeing Thailand.

Yep, this is what you came to Thailand for. laugh.gif

Edited by MrsMills

If anyone has a Thai partner who is concerned about this radioactive rain, I am selling protective coverings for only $59.99 each.

post-174-0-94080900-1300284459_thumb.jpg

:whistling:

Simon

Simon you idiot youve left two airholes in for this "female" version

I think even a total meltdown is not a serious thing for the USA if it blows directly there. For Japan, yes.

The radiation from Tchernobyl was carried many thousands of km across Europe, though apparently not all countries that it passed over used the same maps. At the time various governments implemented controls about milk production and meat production in areas of signficant rainfall (though not always the governments of the countries in which the rainfall occurred).

Governments are not known for doing such things unless it is really necessary. In fact they generally do far less than they should. In the case of air-borne radioactive contamination they would surely try and play it down as only mass evacuation could be of any real use. And what government wants mass evacuation to worry about? And where do you send the population of an entire country/continent anyway?

Yep, your right, I got this warning from my girlfriend via e-mail, on last Tuesday afternoon. I checked on the tinternet some incident reports and fall out maps, (real time and prediction) and found no elevated levels of radiation on the move as of Tuesday Pm, That’s not to say that continents cannot travel very fast and fall anywhere on the planet if they get into the jet stream.

I’ve no doubt some of the poor and uneducated Thai people are now going to be scammed in every market place or by some traveling doctor with the offer of some ‘wonder’ pill or clothing, that has been treated with ‘special chemicals’ to keep them safe from radiation sickness, for a price of course.

Interesting. I wonder if the majority of Thais have a full concept of how far away Japan is in kilometers (not to mention the radiation level that does travel)?

Please.

Please.

Please? He is right on the money.

Most Thais couldn't pick out Japan on a world map written in Thai. But, they can find their way on the cheapest bus from Sakon Nowhere to Nakon Somewhere even if it takes 20 hours of travel.

IanForbes' timestamp='1300329576' post='4288512']

'Jingthing' timestamp='1300284006' post='4287331']

Most Thais couldn't pick out Japan on a world map written in Thai. But, they can find their way on the cheapest bus from Sakon Nowhere to Nakon Somewhere even if it takes 20 hours of travel.

[/quote

Well noted Ian , most anything outside of Thailand has no importance to most Thai , as far as they are concerned due to the educational brainwashing methods , Thailand is the centre of the universe , this , of course , includes many in government despite their off shore educations .

In my mind it recalls an old adage " You can lead a horse to water , but you cannot make him drink " .

The omni-present " I know , I know " response and " Maipenrai " , are of course the main contributing factors to The learning process , or should I have said the lack of ?

IanForbes' timestamp='1300329576' post='4288512']

'Jingthing' timestamp='1300284006' post='4287331']

[/quote

Well noted Ian , most anything outside of Thailand has no importance to most Thai , as far as they are concerned due to the educational brainwashing methods , Thailand is the centre of the universe , this , of course , includes many in government despite their off shore educations .

In my mind it recalls an old adage " You can lead a horse to water , but you cannot make him drink " .

The omni-present " I know , I know " response and " Maipenrai " , are of course the main contributing factors to The learning process , or should I have said the lack of ?

Wouldn't it be weird if Thai's thought Russia was the center of the universe?