Have You Traveled Everywhere In Thailand

I just curious to know if everyone on thaivisa who lives here in thailand has been to every city or all major areas in thailand to visit or live or if you have just visited a few places.

Me I haven't gone everywhere but the places I have gone are the following

Bangkok

Ayutthaya

Chiang Mai

Korat

pattaya

Khon kaen

hua hin

Ko Phi phi island

phuket

koh samui

koh phangan

hat yai

all the places I've been to where just on holiday or to visit some friends while on holiday

Only place left I haven't been to is ko chang will go there sometime

look forward to your comments or postings on this

I would suggest that if you have Thai friends here, or even if you don't, go to a small town, or just a city that isn't a major tourist destination, you will find that things are a lot different there. You have never been thurther into isaan than korat. Nong Khai is a beautiful town on the boader of Laos. "Been everywhere apart from Go Chang" What a laugh!

I tend to go to the more wilderness places in the mountains. Some have been quite spectacular and different from the run-of-the-mill Thailand places. I really like the mountainous country along the Burma border from Kanchanaburi to Chiang Mai province.

I've been to most of the tourist centers, but after a while they bore me unless I develope friends there or travel with friends. I don't mind the bar scene, but only if I have friends there or with me at the time. I'm not a big drinker and I've already got enough lady friends.

I enjoyed Hua Hin about 15 years ago before it got too big. The same goes for Koh Samui. It just got too touristy. Phuket was always far more expensive than anywhere else in Thailand, so after a week I had enough.

I don't mind Pattaya, but not so much in the downtown core anymore. But there is far more to Pattaya than just the bar scene. I've always enjoyed Koh Larn, but can't believe how much it has been developed in the past 10 years.

Bangkok is too big to attract me, and only stop there when passing through to somewhere else.

Udon Thani cities and towns are a bit too sleepy for me and the fishing isn't good enough to attract me for very long.

But I truly like Chiang Mai. It's small enough that I can walk right across the city, and yet not learn all its secrets. And, I like hiking the trails up Doi Suthep. It's a little piece of wilderness within a short ride from the downtown core.

I'm not that fluent in the Thai language, so I feel a little lost in strictly Thai towns and cities unless I've got my own transportation and can cruise the outskirts. After a while you've seen enough Thai temples. Places like Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Sakon Nakhon, Khorat, Ubon Ratchathani, Uttaradit, Tak, Phitsanulok all fit into that category. I might feel a little different if I had friends there, but just visiting was ho-hum for me.

Koh Chang was great 10 years ago, but it's getting too developed for a wilderness retreat, and yet doesn't have the excitement of a bar scene.

Krabi and the nearby islands are pretty nice for a beach scene, and much nicer than Phuket.

I would suggest that if you have Thai friends here, or even if you don't, go to a small town, or just a city that isn't a major tourist destination, you will find that things are a lot different there. You have never been thurther into isaan than korat. Nong Khai is a beautiful town on the boader of Laos. "Been everywhere apart from Go Chang" What a laugh!

Right on. I had a friend who lived in BKK for 2 years. Never left the city. He had some Thai friends (from the local beer bar) who invited him to their village for Songkran. He said it was the best fun he had ever had and wished he had ventured outside the city before!

Issan is a great place to visit...especially the small villages...where there are no hotels. Just lots of friendly people.

I've been all over Thailand, but still have not come close to seeing it all!!!!! Easiest way is with a Thai friend. Makes getting to the out of the way places much easier.

I've visited a few places around the country, usually in the company of the current girlfriend, and while I've yet to find anywhere I would wish to settle I do enjoy the change from Pattaya. For me it's been very much a case of nice for a visit but I wouldn't really want to live there! Here's my list : Ubon Ratchathani, Nakhon Phanom, Surin, Chiang Mai, Rayong, Koh Chang, Kanchanaburi, Chaiyaphum, Lopburi, Korat.

Not every where, same as I have not traveled the whole of my home country, but most of the places that interest me.

Problem is that I started about 25 years ago, when Koh PhiPhi was still a natural park with a couple of bungalows and 1 (one) restaurant, Ao Nang in Krabi had 3 hotels and a couple of restaurants, etc. etc.

Agree about the Khmer temples in south Isaan except Pimai (too commercialized) and indeed the friendly locals.

Have however come to the age where comfort standards are more important than the scenery so now restrict myself to higher end hotels, and these are usually found in the tourist areas.

Shame really, but at 75 my adventure days are long gone.

Yermanee

Not every where, same as I have not traveled the whole of my home country, but most of the places that interest me.

Problem is that I started about 25 years ago, when Koh PhiPhi was still a natural park with a couple of bungalows and 1 (one) restaurant, Ao Nang in Krabi had 3 hotels and a couple of restaurants, etc. etc.

Agree about the Khmer temples in south Isaan except Pimai (too commercialized) and indeed the friendly locals.

Have however come to the age where comfort standards are more important than the scenery so now restrict myself to higher end hotels, and these are usually found in the tourist areas.

Shame really, but at 75 my adventure days are long gone.

Yermanee

Jeez, I thought by your pic you weren't older than 25! ;)

You had a great time to visit Thailand. Most places are over developed and over run with tourists. I've only been traveling here for 10 years, but even in that time frame, I've see big changes all over the country.

Wifey and I were in Panama 3 years ago. During our transit of the canal, we met with a group of 25 travelers who were also on our boat. None were younger than 65 and several were in their 80's. All were doing a 2 week tour of Panama. Great stuff!!!!!

Jeez, I thought by your pic you weren't older than 25! ;)

You had a great time to visit Thailand. Most places are over developed and over run with tourists. I've only been traveling here for 10 years, but even in that time frame, I've see big changes all over the country.

Wifey and I were in Panama 3 years ago. During our transit of the canal, we met with a group of 25 travelers who were also on our boat. None were younger than 65 and several were in their 80's. All were doing a 2 week tour of Panama. Great stuff!!!!!

Yes indeed, age does not restrict from traveling, physical condition however does, and my wilder years have caught-up with me, so I'm now catching myself looking for places where good medical care is in the vicinity. so Angkor Wat doesn't fit the bill, thank god I went there years ago. One of the highlights of my life !!!

But back on topic, Thailand still is a wonderful place to travel around in, but the biggest attraction for me is the people, they haven't changed much.

Yermanee

Edited by yermanee

My first 10+ years traveling around Asia was on agricultural junkets in PR China and Indonesia / Sumatra where -- as I was on government arranged treks -- I went to places you would never get to otherwise... even a CIA (DIA) person I met on the plane said I was in places (upper Yangtze valley) that they had never been to.

So having been thus spoiled now in Thailand I have turned into a home-body and do limited travel ... except for maybe like last summer when I tagged along on a Thai Ministry tropical horticulturist junket in and around Chiang Mai and similarly got to go places that are not otherwise easily reached or open to the public.

... and as (then) Governor Ronald Reagan once similarly and famously said of the majestic California redwoods: If you've seen one fish, you've seen them all."

Edited by jazzbo

When I started working here there were only 75 provinces.I was working in all of them ,including the main islands,looking for groundwater for the rural waterworks and the Accelerated Rural Development.It took me over 15 years.Afterwards I stayed.I am now 28 years in Thailand.It changed a lot especially in air and noise and waterpollution.

Grab a backpack, throw it on the bike and take off for a month. There is so much to see and no better way to see it. Stop where you like and go wherever you point the bike. All the small towns, big cities, rice patties, mountain ranges... For a relatively small country, Thailand has amazing variety in landscape, people, food, etc.

Planes, trains, and buses will get you around more quickly, but you'll miss all the great places in-between.

Been by car from Satun to Bangkok, Pattaya, Trat, along the Camodia/laos border to Nong Khai,

then over to Chaing Mai, chang Rai, Mae hong son, back to Bangkok via the interior and then back to Phuket, Numerious trips and the counrty is great.

Travelled in 82-83 from Bangkok- Chaing Mai by train back to Bangkok and then down to Singapore via Samui and phuket, Hat yai by Bicycle.

Also all the other countries by car and bicycle

In my 27 years here, I have visited every Province in Thailand, and I have lived in Chiang Mai, Bkk, Koh Samui, Nonthaburi and Songkhla.

In my experience, Chiang Mai is the best place for me. More fruit and vegetables, better weather, nicest people, and the most beautiful :)

Right on. I had a friend who lived in BKK for 2 years. Never left the city.

I think there are many retired people here who have settled in one place and choose not to travel; we met several in Phuket who had never been to mainland Thailand except for transit through the airport, one a UK neighbour in his 6th year there. But it is his choice, his retirement and he is happy. Without a Thai partner (he's 78) I can understand his reluctance to head off on his own - I know some do, but not for everyone.

We've just moved to Chanthaburi province after 11mths in south Sa Kaeo, now just 190km south - but it has a beach! We take lots of small trips, 5-7 days and prefer to keep away from big tourist destinations. I'm happy to admit that in a year on Phuket i never ventured to Patong at nightime - once for movies, once for a sports competition; I've never been to, or passed through, Pattaya. They are 'it' for some people, not for me.

Takes all sorts.

Happy travels everyone.

When I came to live in Thailand in 1989, the Japanese Geological Survey had catalogued 90 Thai hotsprings. Although I'm not any sort of geologist or cartologist, I used all the geological, topographical, military and even tourist maps, followed my nose (and the fault lines) and found 50 more, bringing the current total to 145. I went to every province.

Liked the Mekong route, from Ubon upriver. Wat That Phanom is esp nice. Now it's easier to cross the river to see southern Lao life on the other side. Nong Khai is also very beautiful. Surat (great night market), Umphang in Tak and Pai on the northern route from C-M to MHS are all great.

Travelling off the beaten path gives us all far deeper feeling for our adopted countries and its peoples.

Knight Commander of the Bath...

I was thinking about the places i have been several times and how they change according to the season. The difference in atmosphere and scenery between wet and dry seasons , for example, is immense so just by ticking off a place name by driving thru it , does that mean you have really been there?

Disagree re Issan....one of the most boring places on earth, let alone Thailand. Flat, flat, flat...rice fields as far as the eye can see. Have been to Khon Kaen, Roi Et and Selaphum....would go ABSOLUTELY CRAZY if I had to live in places like that. (Still, if you're from Poland, the Russian steppes, or Eastern England or the Canadian or American prairies, you might feel at home.)

Bkk a dump. Pattaya whorrible. Phuket expensive. Hua Hin pleasant but boring. most beaches just...erm...beaches...ok if you are 21 and a backpacker. (One nice little town on beach is Prachuap Kiri Khan...reachable by train, too.) So many Thai towns are dumps (eg. Chumphon and Surat Thani)...they all look the same...are there ANY architects working in Thailand?

When you've seen one wat .....boring, boring boring.

Only place liveable is Chiang Mai...close to mountains and despite increasing pollution from increasing traffic, is a relatively civilised city.

Edited by blazes

Hello Kuhn Blazes-- I agree with you... Isaan is boring and endlessly flat ... please advise all your friends in Chiang Mai.

I've met a few here from CM and after a few days/weeks they end up running back to CM pulling at their hair.

Edited by jazzbo

Hello Kuhn Blazes-- I agree with you... Isaan is boring and endlessly flat ... please advise all your friends in Chiang Mai.

I've met a few here from CM and after a few days/weeks they end up running back to CM pulling at their hair.

and I'm glad to see them go.:lol:

Disagree re Issan....one of the most boring places on earth, let alone Thailand. Flat, flat, flat...rice fields as far as the eye can see. Have been to Khon Kaen, Roi Et and Selaphum....would go ABSOLUTELY CRAZY if I had to live in places like that. (Still, if you're from Poland, the Russian steppes, or Eastern England or the Canadian or American prairies, you might feel at home.)

Bkk a dump. Pattaya whorrible. Phuket expensive. Hua Hin pleasant but boring. most beaches just...erm...beaches...ok if you are 21 and a backpacker. (One nice little town on beach is Prachuap Kiri Khan...reachable by train, too.) So many Thai towns are dumps (eg. Chumphon and Surat Thani)...they all look the same...are there ANY architects working in Thailand?

When you've seen one wat .....boring, boring boring.

Only place liveable is Chiang Mai...close to mountains and despite increasing pollution from increasing traffic, is a relatively civilised city.

I'm pretty much with you on the way you said that.

I have been to loads of places on and off the beaten track but as in your assessment, 1 or 2 days somewhere when visiting and I'm usually starting to get fed up. I only pop to Isaan to visit friends living there and I certainly would never fancy living up there. I live in Pattaya but would agree Chiang Mai is probably the nicest and most laid back place to spend any length of time IMO.

Issan is not a place most people would want to spend the rest of their life, but some really do love it. IMHO, what is interesting is the culture. Dancing, food, festivals, MUSIC, life in the farming village, etc. If you have a Thai partner, and can visit an "off the grid" village, it's truly an experience. Very fun, very family oriented. I've done a lot of traveling to a lot of crazy places. Great people, great fun in Issan.

The land is flat as a pancake...but extremely beautiful just after the rice has come up. Great place to ride a motorcycle at that time. Nong Khai is pretty cool, as are some of the other river towns.

I'm a water baby, so have to be near the sea. That ruled CM out for me, though I love the city and surrounding area. There are some really cool places North of Chumphon and South of Prachuap Khiri Khan. You have to have a car, but it's great. And the area from Khanom down to Nakhon Si Thammarat. It is pretty nice also.

Lots of great places to visit, but best if they are off the tourist map. :whistling:

With that being said, Bangkok is a great city to visit! ;)

post-7565-0-24251700-1300700917_thumb.jpI'm a water baby too .. swam 1800 meters this morning in my crystal clear 30 meter salt-water pool ... The land is flat as a pancake ... so is the Gulf of Thailand unless there is a typhoon. Edited by jazzbo

I have been to,

Samui several times

Phuket once,

Ko Chang once,

Pattaya a hundred time, including its environs ( twice only to walking street)

Mae hon son

Pai,

Lampang,

Lamphun,

Chiang mai,

Doi Ankhang

Doi Inthanon,

Sukhothai

Nalorn Sawan

P'louke,

Chumphon,

Rayong,

Hua hin, @ 5 times

Ko Phangan, once

Mukdahan.

Petchebun, over 5 times

nakorn nayok

Aranyaprathet

Hadyai

These are where i have been to by driving myself and spending at least a night.

On some of my earlier trips, I did go off course sometimes by hundred of kilometers, but then fuel was just B12 a litre.