4,000 Thais Still Missing In Japan

webfact

4,000 Thais still missing in Japan

By Pongphon Sarnsamak

Nantida Puangthong

The Nation

30151222-01.jpg

Thai authorities are still unable to locate about 4,000 Thais who were living in northeastern Japan when the massive earthquake and tsunami hit last week. Problems with communication systems there have made it hard to check their whereabouts.

"Of 5,000 Thais there, we have found only 8001,000," Foreign Affairs Ministry spokesman Thani Thongphakdi said. He said all those contacted were safe.

Thani also said the number of Thais living in the area could in fact be much higher than 4,000 because at least 6,000 Thais were believed to be living in Japan illegally.

"But we would like to help them too," Thani said.

However, he also pointed out that some Thais might have left Japan without telling the Thai embassy.

Thani said two C130 planes from Thailand would arrive in Japan last night and today to deliver relief items - including those from the Friends in Need of ("Pa") Volunteers Foundation - to disaster victims. After the deliveries, the planes will carry about 240 Thais back to Thailand.

Currently, Thais are advised to defer nonessential trips to Japan.

Because the disasters have caused a radiation leak from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, the Office of Atoms for Peace (OAP) is offering free tests for radioactive exposure to people arriving from Japan.

The tests are available at Suvarnabhumi Airport and OAP headquarters in Bangkok.

Public Health Ministry permanent secretary Dr Paijit Warachit said about 80 of 400 people coming from Japan had sought medical advice at the airport.

Twentyseven people planning travel to Japan have asked for medical advice regarding taking potassium iodide, he said.

Not all will need to take the drug. It is available only for Thai people who will travel to risky areas within 30 kilometres of the stricken plant, he said.

Despite the radiation threat, not every Thai has rushed to return to the homeland. Five Thai monks at Pak Nam Temple in Tokyo intend to stay there to offer moral support to Thais remaining in the country.

The temple, which is just 10 minutes from Narita Airport, has been a centre for distribution of food and relief items.

Princess Ubolratana Rajakanya yesterday donated Bt2 million and blankets to disaster victims in Japan via the Foreign Affairs Ministry.

Thais and private companies have raised funds for people hit by Japan's disasters too.

Meanwhile, the Public Health Ministry is preparing to send a team of psychologists to help shaken Thais there.

The ministry's deputy permanent secretary, Dr Narong Sahamethapat, said a team of psychiatrists and medical workers would travel to Japan today.

He added that a team of doctors who travelled to Japan to provide medical assistance to 30 Thai people living within 55 kilometres of Fukushima nuclear plant were now safe from radiation contamination. However, they will move to Tokyo in the near future.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-19

sensational title.

there were only 36k thai in japan during earthquake (with 30k in the tokio area) - leaving 6k for the rest of the country.

surely they are safe, just not contacted yet or already moved abroad and to thailand.

out of 130 million population of japan some 10k have died, so proportionally only few thai might have died

Why is that the Thai government is so concerned about its expat citizens when something happens abroad in Japan or Libya but treats them like dirt here?

Visibility. Helping their folks in other countries generates headlines. Doing something to raise the level of the school system, or to lower the level of corruption (thus reducing the power of pujai ban and similar, and empowering the little guy) makes for headaches, but wouldn't generate headlines. Easy as pie.

sensational title.

there were only 36k thai in japan during earthquake (with 30k in the tokio area) - leaving 6k for the rest of the country.

surely they are safe, just not contacted yet or already moved abroad and to thailand.

out of 130 million population of japan some 10k have died, so proportionally only few thai might have died

"Of 5,000 Thais there, we have found only 8001,000," Foreign Affairs Ministry spokesman Thani Thongphakdi said. He said all those contacted were safe.

Thani also said the number of Thais living in the area could in fact be much higher than 4,000 because at least 6,000 Thais were believed to be living in Japan illegally.

80001,001 were found in a brothel. :jap:

'sirchai' timestamp='1300514990' post='4294438']'londonthai' timestamp='1300493664' post='4293611']

sensational title.

How can a Thai minister make so many mistakes about the numbers in Japan on ONE solitary page , does he not read and edit before posting such gibberish ?

No wonder so many posters here question the educational system , especially with such a blatant example put before thousands or even millions of readers on his outrageous incompetence in such a short message .

sensational title.

and another 10001.000 of the missing were believed to be in Libya instead.

As standard for Nation articles, there is probably a missing "-" and it should read "800 - 1,000".

I don't know why people are talking about the education of the Thai minister. Talk to the Nation reporter. That's who wrote the article.

As standard for Nation articles, there is probably a missing "-" and it should read "800 - 1,000".

I don't know why people are talking about the education of the Thai minister. Talk to the Nation reporter. That's who wrote the article.

Well somebody is wrong and that is what the said reporter quoted, if he is wrong then the remark swings to him, don't they have things proof read ??????????????

I do see your point though--but we have to have our bit's of giggles now and again-----I didn't take it seriously--If I did it would have me look a complete nut.

Well somebody is wrong and that is what the said reporter quoted, if he is wrong then the remark swings to him, don't they have things proof read ??????????????

I do see your point though--but we have to have our bit's of giggles now and again-----I didn't take it seriously--If I did it would have me look a complete nut.

Do you proof-read your posts?

And an FYI, it is the publication-software that auto-strips the '-' mark on when it believes it was inserted to deal with row-breaking a long word. A common problem when content is both published online and a newspaper, often using two different systems that have to interface.

Thai authorities are still unable to locate about 4,000 Thais ...

"Of 5,000 Thais there, we have found only 800 - 1,000," Foreign Affairs Ministry spokesman Thani Thongphakdi said. ... [ I added the dash "-" ]

5,000 there. 1,000 contacted. Leaving 4,000 missing. That could be higher since there are 6,000 Thais living in Japan illegally.

So, besides the dash missing, is there anything wrong with the numbers?

4,ooo Thais still missing in Japan.Hmmmmm,partial cull? because no more has been heard about the Thais missing in Libya!!!

It is more likely the case that these Thais are simply visa overstayers who have disappeared into the system somewhere.

I personally know of scores of Thais in the United States and the UK that are staying in the countries illegally.

The chances are that these people are alive and well living and working at the back of some factory or Thai restaurant both in Japan and in Libya.

Do you proof-read your posts?

And an FYI, it is the publication-software that auto-strips the '-' mark on when it believes it was inserted to deal with row-breaking a long word. A common problem when content is both published online and a newspaper, often using two different systems that have to interface.

You have no humour-I see, get off my back unless you really want to get muck slinging. Busy yourself with your own kind, I dont need you to tell me how to spell or how and where to be educated, I DON'T MIND being corrected or put right in a nice way-your a lousy teacher. PIG off Your understanding of some posts is because you don't want to see their point of view. Dissagree, but don't be rude it doesn't suit your education.

You have no humour-I see, get off my back unless you really want to get muck slinging. Busy yourself with your own kind, I dont need you to tell me how to spell or how and where to be educated, I DON'T MIND being corrected or put right in a nice way-your a lousy teacher. PIG off Your understanding of some posts is because you don't want to see their point of view. Dissagree, but don't be rude it doesn't suit your education.

I have humor, I laugh at your posts all the time. :)

And I bet your posts suits your education. Or better yet, what you gained from it. :)

Edited by TAWP

And I bet your posts suits your education. Or better yet, what you gained from it. :)

O.K> Oxford Don.............your a sick and twisted man pit bull................I get humour from your superb intellect...Your pretending to be what your not. My bad education has earned me far more friends than you'll ever have.

O.K> Oxford Don.............your a sick and twisted man pit bull................I get humour from your superb intellect...Your pretending to be what your not. My bad education has earned me far more friends than you'll ever have.

Sorry, just couldn`t resist it:

post-110219-0-45503000-1300528473_thumb.

"Of 5,000 Thais there, we have found only 800 - 1,000," Foreign Affairs Ministry spokesman Thani Thongphakdi said. ... [ I added the dash "-" ]

5,000 there. 1,000 contacted. Leaving 4,000 missing. That could be higher since there are 6,000 Thais living in Japan illegally.

Don't you think that just maybe the figure of at least 6000 illegal Thais might somehow contradict the figure of 5000 Thais, or 4000 Thais unaccounted for? Logically if there are at least 6000 illegal Thais, there must be at least 10000 Thais not accounted for. Unless the Man from the Ministry is claiming that his ministry is so efficient that it has already contacted the at least 6000 illegal Thais, which number he cannot even confirm, in which case the ministry is to applauded for its extraordinary diligence and communication skills.

Or could it just be the case that this arithmetic, coupled with the claims that not many Thais would have died in Japan, .(how does he know this - surely it is theoretically possible that 4000 could have died - means that the Man from the Ministry, as usual, is just pulling random statistics out of his a**e for the sake of a soundbite?

'bangon04' timestamp='1300547099' post='4295552']

'whybother' timestamp='1300523288' post='4294810']

'OP']

Don't you think that just maybe the figure of at least 6000 illegal Thais might somehow contradict the figure of 5000 Thais, or 4000 Thais unaccounted for? Logically if there are at least 6000 illegal Thais, there must be at least 10000 Thais not accounted for. Unless the Man from the Ministry is claiming that his ministry is so efficient that it has already contacted the at least 6000 illegal Thais, which number he cannot even confirm, in which case the ministry is to applauded for its extraordinary diligence and communication skills.

Or could it just be the case that this arithmetic, coupled with the claims that not many Thais would have died in Japan, .(how does he know this - surely it is theoretically possible that 4000 could have died - means that the Man from the Ministry, as usual, is just pulling random statistics out of his a**e for the sake of a soundbite?

Some-one finally picked up on my point about arithmetic , ALL of the numbers need to be brought into the equation , he did quote them , did he not ? ALL on the same page , not an adendum .

Sorry, just couldn`t resist it:

Brilliant beetlejuice--I like it. its a pity clever sod tawp hasn't your humour .you made my day good one. thanks :)

Brilliant beetlejuice--I like it. its a pity clever sod tawp hasn't your humour .you made my day good one. thanks :)

Haha, I have humor, that I don't get upset over your posts prove it partly.

I just had hoped you would get a hint and understand that unless you posts starts to make sense they might just be discarded as some rambling nonsense with a lot of dashes inserted into them.

But it is of course your prerogative to remain posting in that format if you so wish to be ignored.