Ed-Visa By Skype

Learn Thai via Skype?

There is a message here. It might have to do with lower school (for profit) income and fewer tourists.

“Distance learning” in Thailand?

That’s an idea for educators (real ones) to have a long thought about.

In the mean time I find a long haired dictionary to be more reliable.

It’s more economical and lots more fun than a Thai language school.

Yes! I did graduate from one in Chiang Mai. The headman (westerner) was a drug addict at the verge of being insane. Next time I will attend a univstry course.

Now for the next joke of the day.

Any video about how it works to learn through Skype ? Do we have to reply the guy or he doesn't mind if i am working around on the computer ? :-)

Just need a 1 year visa !

I think that'll be fine. Just log-in for your lesson at 10a.m, wait for the teacher to ask his/her first question, then feel free to respond about 2 hours later. The teacher will happily wait by his computer for you all day. blink.gif

I would humbly suggest if you can't manage 4 hours per week to study the Thai language, then you're maybe looking in the wrong place for your 1 year visa.

If your looking to learn Thai via Skype (easier if your busy) then I can recommend Thai Language Hut, (google them, forgot the website).  The experience was good and it works well when your need to navigate your time, also, teachers are fun and friendly.  If unsure about them, make sure you ask them about references/testimonials from former students, it certainly helped to convince me which way to go. Their videos are also useful as well.

Edited by ShannonGreen

• 2 weeks later...

For those learning by Skype under ED visa - have you ever experienced any difficulties in getting your 90 day visa extension because your local immigration is (obviously) nowhere near the physical location of the school?

I have no doubts schools such as Walen produce the correct necessary paperwork but as we all know, immigration can sometimes be a law unto themselves and some will never have heard of learning Thai online, so just wondering if anyone has encountered any difficulties getting their next 90 days?

Or does the paperwork just conveniently omit the mention of the online part of the course?

For those learning by Skype under ED visa - have you ever experienced any difficulties in getting your 90 day visa extension because your local immigration is (obviously) nowhere near the physical location of the school?

I have no doubts schools such as Walen produce the correct necessary paperwork but as we all know, immigration can sometimes be a law unto themselves and some will never have heard of learning Thai online, so just wondering if anyone has encountered any difficulties getting their next 90 days?

Or does the paperwork just conveniently omit the mention of the online part of the course?

I may be incorrect but my understanding of the ED Visa requirement is that you attend a minimum of 4 hours of study per week at the school (180 hours per year). I hardly think that Skype fits into this requirement.

Edited by bapak

Class is held using Skype just as University distance learning is done by mail/email/or such VOIP/video methods. This is the 21st Century and the one room schoolhouse is well into the history books.

I agree with what you say above however we are talking about ED Visa requirements..

I am involved with a school (not in Bangkok) and local education department have strongly stated that for ED Visa, classroom attendance is required.

Edited by bapak

Believe you would only be involved with immigration - if school (there education office approves the course) they would be able to issue normal paperwork of attendance I suspect.

Fact: Both Education and Immigration have at least twice in past 3 months visited the school to check attendance records.

Lopburi, if you PM me, I will tell you name of school and area but I do not want to put it out for general exhibition.

And I am saying you would be attending if they are authorized to teach visa Skype and you have met the requirements.

If they are not authorized to provide such service or you do not attend the on-line class that would be another issue.

I can not debate the authorization issue as have no idea of the who/what/where issues of that but if schools are running such systems they must be working.

it's a great idea and definitely a prototype of education in the future.

It's pretty easy to do video/audio capture on the desktop so would be a breeze to record the class for repeat practice and brush up.

Can't do that in real class unless you plan on brining a video recorder which I am guessing they might not allow for privacy concerns of other students.

In theory this could/should lower costs by not having to maintain as much brick and mortar classrooms.

Would be great to see a list of other schools offering Skype programs.

PS Skype is usually two way audio/video. If the teachers wanted to "check" attendance or participation then it would be fairly easy to see who is really studying.

Or do they just broadcast audio/video?

Nobody? OK. Here's another angle. Following on from the comments about attendance, I'm wondering what the visa situation would be if someone living upcountry, signed up for 1 year of study, then suddenly loses internet connectivity or strength of signal, so online classes become an impossibility. Not out of the question I wouldn't think given the IT situation in the sticks. No doubt no refunds would be handed out, but what of the "attendance" record for visa extensions?

Next twist - say for example this same student is an on a multiple entry ED visa for whatever reason. Therefore, no extensions necessary and only has to nip in and out the country every 90 days. After the initial visa is granted there will be no further paperwork required from the school (for the year), so does this mean that immigration may therefore be less interested in attendance (which may be variable due to dodgy internet connection) or are immigration officials at border points and/or those potentially visiting the school itself, still likely to require some documentation on this front?

Nobody? OK. Here's another angle. Following on from the comments about attendance, I'm wondering what the visa situation would be if someone living upcountry, signed up for 1 year of study, then suddenly loses internet connectivity or strength of signal, so online classes become an impossibility. Not out of the question I wouldn't think given the IT situation in the sticks. No doubt no refunds would be handed out, but what of the "attendance" record for visa extensions?

Next twist - say for example this same student is an on a multiple entry ED visa for whatever reason. Therefore, no extensions necessary and only has to nip in and out the country every 90 days. After the initial visa is granted there will be no further paperwork required from the school (for the year), so does this mean that immigration may therefore be less interested in attendance (which may be variable due to dodgy internet connection) or are immigration officials at border points and/or those potentially visiting the school itself, still likely to require some documentation on this front?

That scenario can definitely play out with a multi entry visa. There are a number of non language schools who require a non refundable deposit to get the paperwork for visa application. If the student never pays the balance and does not attend then the visa is still valid for the year period with 90 visa stamps. This is not so uncommon. The school doesn't have to do anything to collect a decent deposit and the student doesn't have to allocate time to attend classes. This obviously isn't advertised or encouraged but from personal experience it does happen. I was even able to roll my deposit over to next year and get two years for the price of one. No sorry not going to divulge the school. You will have to google it on your own. In my case the non refundable deposit was in the 15k range.

The wrinkle for language class is that to my knowledge only single entry visa's are granted for Language courses. In the US consulates anyway. Could be different in some other countries however. Is this correct? has anyone gotten multi entry visa's for language programs back in the home country?

The thing about language schools is that some are not hard liners when it comes to attendance as long as the money keeps flowing. Just how far they will bend depends on the school, managers and case by case situation. Are they really going to take revenue out of their balance sheet? Sure they could keep your deposit and tuition and stiff you on the extensions but talk about a PR nightmare. Not without a lot of persuasion. This is Thailand and there is plenty of creative fudging. Just don't plan on getting it in writing in advance. If someone asks them they are going to say attendance is mandatory...

If your okay with paying the money for school then 4 hours a week on skype is a good idea. Socially, legally and financially you will be much better equipped to function well in the Kingdom. Well worth the time and effort investment.

I am much more interested in any course if I don't have to attend a physical class. Can use my computer to save and review certain things. Multi task with other things I do online. Not have to travel and deal with issues like traffic, weather etc. No brainer.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know of any courses done over the internet (such as via Skype or Yahoo Messenger or MSN Messenger or just email) other than of languages and that would qualify for an ED visa?

I'd be interested in learning finance, quantitative finance and business.

Edited by hyperdimension

• 1 month later...

Update on the Skype lessons, we have an increasing number of students online. Walen method seems to be perfect for teaching online as it is very structured. If our schools are too far from you but you still wanted to learn Thai contact our school.

Walen School - leader in teaching Thai online