New Big Bike Models At Bangkok Show

rizla

The real question is, will the z1000 be limited in any way ? if it comes here ?

I think it is well underpowered as it is, at 138hp.......the cost will have to be very reasonable even at full power.

And what about the current gsxr at 185hp...good value or what? 2 year warranty etc..

Puting the OP back on track...as we seem to be heading down the kawaski route again.......ANY leeking news on other marques...honda yamaha etc..

That is a preposterous statement, well under-powered as it is, at 138hp. How much HP do want in a naked bike, in Thailand? If you want substantially more the only options are a B-King and one of that fugly BMW K1300r things. The B-King concept bike had a super-charger fitted, the reason Suzuki didn't fit it on the production bike, apart from the cost, was again how much power do you want in a naked bike. The new V-Max is also restricted to 12?mph. HP means nothing unless you are on the track. The only way to get significantly more power from the same engine (not talking about bolt-ons like exhaust,PC's etc) is increase the rpm by shortening the stroke and lightening the crank so there is less rotational mass. Which in-turn means there is bog all power low down and it all gets pushed up in to the top-end. Not practical for road riding, I had a 2008 FZ-1 which I found infuriating and a pain to ride. Nothing happened below 6,500 rpm and it took off at 7,500rpm which meant you either had to wring it's neck and ride around at 200mph or constantly change gear. Seen various power figures for the FZ-1 varying between 138 and 150hp. I bought an FJR1300, rear wheel hp less than 130hp, red-line at 9,000rpm but a smooth and powerful torque curve. It is a far better bike with less HP than an FZ will ever be. I also have an old XJR1200 with an astonishing 98HP again a far better bike and the more usable on Thai roads. When I look at a bike I don't give a hoot about HP, I look at the torque curve, which is a better indication of how it is to ride on the road. Without a fairing sustained high speed riding becomes a chore. If you need more than 138 HP in a naked bike your best bet would be to get a Busa, ditch the fairing and fit a turbo.

Agree... There is really no need for more than 138hp for city riding... One of the reasons honda is so successful is that their power hp usable... Sure we like speed but most riding is in town/traffic- now a dedicated track bike... 200hp up is good...

Agree... There is really no need for more than 138hp for city riding... One of the reasons honda is so successful is that their power hp usable... Sure we like speed but most riding is in town/traffic- now a dedicated track bike... 200hp up is good...

Have to agree that bulk horsepower is not really an issue on the roads in Thailand (well for me anyway). For a track bike, its always nice to have more ponies undert he tank. If I recall my 999S puts out 142 hp in stock trim with the full Termignoni system. The advantage of the L-twin is the incredible amount of torque they have on tap. In my case it has 106 nm, this is where the twin's come into their own on the twisties. I would love to a ride a naked bike with that kind of horsepower, but I definitely won't be going for any speed records.

Are there still issues with getting the 'green books' for big bikes in Thailand? Which manufacturer is the best ?

I thought that the ASEAN trade agreement was supposed to make importing easier and cheaper for cars and bikes!

Life is never simple in LOS when it comes to bureaucracy...:bah:

In Malaysia, Z1000 sells for 760,000baht, Z1000SX (Ninja 1000) is 800,000baht, New ZX10R and R1 is close to 900,000baht.

The ER6 is a far better bike to ride in the city and the infrequent outstation ride. The power on the Z1000 is too brutal for city rides. It wheelies easily right up to the 3 gear. With the acceleration, the naked Z1000 is a real bitch as far as the wind factor goes. The bike will take you past 200km easily on your fourth gear but the limitation is on the rider. At those lofty speeds, you are better off with the Z1000SX.

Also, the fuel consumption on those Zs are a killer. On a good day of easy riding, you will be lucky to get 12km/litre, get a bit frisky and you down to about 10km/litre. I get 20km/litre on my Versys and 27km/litre on my Vesoa GTS300. I pay 19baht per litre but in LOS is another matter. Plus the Z1000 has only got a 15 litre tank whilst the Z1000SX has got 19. Useable power on the Z is really good at low speeds. You are never in the wrong gear. You can get the bike moving without even touching the throttle, so filtering traffic is pretty much just using the clutch lever right up to 3 gear.

You are better off with the ER6 in the city. You will never be able to utilise the power of the Z in the city. The 650 is more than enough.

Just at the motor show, Z1000 is listed as 595,000 available in October. I guess I'll just have to spend some money on my ER6N instead.

The New ZX10r is only for the extensively experienced rider. Too many ponies in them for public roads.

That Z1000 is nice, I'd rather see the 2011 ZX10R though. Anyone know if it's going to be at the show or subsequently sold over here?

The show starts on Friday (25th) I think.

Hmm- september/october... Those are the months i am getting a bigger bike... But i think that the versys is a better deal- 595k is much... Then i might as well go all the way and get the gsxr for just 200k more-but that is alot more bike... Or a monster... Which just happens to be around 600k... Nah, think i will stick to the whole versys idea... Cheaper and way more practical...

I hate riding in the city. When I need to go into town I usually drive my car. My bikes are for getting OUT of town and away from traffic.

No such thing as too much Hp.

Just because you might have 180-200 Hp on tap doesn't mean you have to use it, but it sure is nice to know it's there :lol:

Nothing but internet hearsay of course, but Thais have apparently been told by some of the motorshow Honda folk that the big bike Honda shop will be open late this year/early next year and be selling the CBR1000.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=th&tl=en&u=http://www.cbr250thai.com/bbs/read.php%3Ftid%3D2221%26page%3D1&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhg1oxKphBSh-t-hEoUU2SXwU-SMww

Take it with a big dash of nahm pla.

Nothing but internet hearsay of course, but Thais have apparently been told by some of the motorshow Honda folk that the big bike Honda shop will be open late this year/early next year and be selling the CBR1000.

http://translate.goo...hEoUU2SXwU-SMww

Take it with a big dash of nahm pla.

Those same Honda folk told me i could buy a CBR250 for 100,000b and an ABS one for 117,000b. Then when i asked WHERE he just shut up and walked away with his head in his hands sobbing...nowhere,,,nowhere.....ok i made that last bit up :D:D

I hate riding in the city. When I need to go into town I usually drive my car. My bikes are for getting OUT of town and away from traffic.

No such thing as too much Hp.

Just because you might have 180-200 Hp on tap doesn't mean you have to use it, but it sure is nice to know it's there :lol:

I'll see your horspower and raise you a glut of torque for the twisties :D

Those same Honda folk told me i could buy a CBR250 for 100,000b and an ABS one for 117,000b. Then when i asked WHERE he just shut up and walked away with his head in his hands sobbing...nowhere,,,nowhere.....ok i made that last bit up

Good idea. I'll actually make sure to ask all the Honda folk on duty the price and see what answers I get... looking forward to that. :D

• 1 month later...

Did i mention anything about city driving, NO, we all dont live in the smog filled dirty streets of bangkok, i have 30kms to go to get to my nearest big town...some of us dont have to ride out for the twisties, we live in them....

Tubber

" I had a 2008 FZ-1 which I found infuriating and a pain to ride. Nothing happened below 6,500 rpm and it took off at 7,500rpm which meant you either had to wring it's neck and ride around at 200mph"

Must have been a stomper of a FZ1......200mph wow....

Edited by rizla

The New ZX10r is only for the extensively experienced rider. Too many ponies in them for public roads.

That Z1000 is nice, I'd rather see the 2011 ZX10R though. Anyone know if it's going to be at the show or subsequently sold over here?

The show starts on Friday (25th) I think.

Not really. Every bike I've been on only goes as fast as you turn the throttle, you can always use the clutch or change up a gear. Plus the ZX10R has adjustable power modes which can reduce the hp down to around 100hp at the click of a switch, reducing it to pretty much the same power as my gsxr600 which is perfectly manageable around Bangkok even in heavy traffic.

Did i mention anything about city driving, NO, we all dont live in the smog filled dirty streets of bangkok, i have 30kms to go to get to my nearest big town...some of us dont have to ride out for the twisties, we live in them....

Tubber

" I had a 2008 FZ-1 which I found infuriating and a pain to ride. Nothing happened below 6,500 rpm and it took off at 7,500rpm which meant you either had to wring it's neck and ride around at 200mph"

Must have been a stomper of a FZ1......200mph wow....

That remark was tongue in cheek :rolleyes: