Bangkok To Become World Book Capital In 2013

webfact

... how very amusing ... would you look at that, they are trying to read ... just like people do ... God bless their totally corrupt, incompetent little hearts.

... I am actually not so cynical, but I've been here over 10 years now and I have just had it with this inferior culture ... need to let off steam every once in awhile.

Edited by swillowbee

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel somewhat better now knowing that I am not the only one that has observed a lack of reading here. I have always found it odd that my supposedly educated friends do not read for personal growth or just for the fun of it.

When I'm in various western and asian cities, it is normal to see people reading a book. Young, old, rich, poor, they all read. Except here in Thailand. I never see a Thai reading a book. The next time you are on an airplane, have a look. All types of westerners and many asians such as Chinese or Indians will be reading a book. How many Thais will have a book?

Edited by geriatrickid

I was actually surprised to see 2 Thais reading over the last few days. On Sunday on the BTS, a grandma reading what looked like fiction. And today when picking up my kids from school saw a nanny sitting there reading. But the fact that I actually NOTICED means that it is something out of the ordinary.

No public libraries (what average Thai can really afford decent books if there are any out there), no parents demonstrating reading = no reading

Entering "The book capital of the world" competition" is very odd.. Is this an attempt at saving face as a knee jerk reaction to the recent education results? Whenever i visit a bookstore at an upscale shopping mall here the Thai section is always the smallest. The Thai written language is so vague and lacking coheasion, it is the very definition of lost in translation. It is a sad state of affairs

a great title - world capital of book ! how does it relate to Thai :-)

this is such a nice piece of READING before I go to bed, I certainly would dream about everyone reading in the BTS :-)

good night folk !

Any campaign to encourage reading is a good thing

So would a campaign to lift censorship of literary and journalism pursuits.

Good idea. Send them a line.

Thanks, but I'll take a raincheck. I like my freedom.

It's all about looking the part: they worry about the little people not reading; really? They want to promote books and reading habits, etc. The burrocrats that come up with those ideas want to look good and make others believe that they care.

Of course, all that dribble is easier than building a network of public libraries so that every neighborhood will have at least one decent library with a wide array of topics, including science, literature and art magazines. But that would be having to actually work, that would mean to actually use funds for a worthy cause that will enrich the people of this country instead of using them to build super walk ways and the like.

I had a girlfriend who studied for her master's degree. Sometimes I would go to meet her at the Mahidol university in Salaya. I asked about the library and she told that there was one but it was only for the students but... If I paid (can't remember the amount) then I could use it a limited number of times. Why I asked? I have lived in Banglampu, Pinklao and Dusit and I never saw or knew of a public library. Public library? What is that? "We have book stores", was the proud Thai answer to my inquiry.

This reminded me of the years (during the 90's) when I lived in a Third World country: Brazil. In Rio, a city of 11 millions souls like here in BKK, there are no public libraries to speak of. There is a central one in downtown Rio and with umpteen restrictions.

How do I long for the public library network of California!

bless them, bangkok is becoming like manchester. everything that came up they were there 'can we have it' trying to make the dreary shithole bearable, even trying to get the olympics :rolleyes:

I lived and worked in Manchester for many years and I knew that something was tugging at my brain strings with its correlation with Bangkok, got it now, thank you.

Can you imagine the Olympics in BKK? Would they even bother painting lines to mark the lanes on the track? Then there was the Thai guy assigned to lane 8 in the 400m, decides to do a U-turn cutting everyone off, and sneaks around the other way on the inside lane.

Which brings me to another point. "Teaching Thai's to think". You mean about something other than ones own selfish immediate needs?

It's all a worthwhile cause, but when you are teaching math to grade schoolers, you don't start with differential equations. These Thai politicians, hell bent on getting publicity appear to actually think you can go from worst to first with a little lip service. I can't wait for the next iteration.

A few months ago I was travelling on the new airport link train. I sat next to a well-dressed and affluent-looking young Thai women who was using an iPad.

Was she checking her emails or using a business application?

No, I was amazed to see that she was using her expensive new 'toy' to read a comic strip!!

Simon

A few months ago I was travelling on the new airport link train. I sat next to a well-dressed and affluent-looking young Thai women who was using an iPad.

No, I was amazed to see that she was using her expensive new 'toy' to read a comic strip!!

Simon

"Garbage in, garbage out." The comment about iPad is interesting. It is the future, now. More and more people are not reading paper books or newspapers. Information is increasingly being accessed in electronic format. So, even if they "win" and get their wish (Paper Book Capital of the World), they will lose and be seen by the rest of the world as backward thinking.

"With its attempt to turn Bangkok into a society based on wisdom in the future, BMA will bid Bangkok for the name “World Book Capital of 2013”."

It's starting to not be funny anymore. Listening to the Thai powers that be say ANYTHING these days is like watching an episode of the Twillight Zone. Why do they keep saying things that are so distant from reality and pure fantasy? Is it all about saving face? What drives them to say blatantly stupid things PUBLICLY? Do Thai people all eat it up and believe it and really feel good about themselves thinking they are the capital or hub of anything? fuc_kING BOOK READING? Is there actually some political academic that believes this shit? Are they all so ignorant of the world they don't even realise that just about EVERY country around the world reads more freaking books in a day than this entire country does in a year? I'm losing my sense of humour.

Wandering around the streets of Yangon, I was amazed to see the amount of book shops (albeit second hand - too expensive for the Burman).

And yes, I believe the ruling class to be at best, totally out of touch with the general populace, or worse, just taking the piss. I've never seen a Thai read anything other than a comic book. Although in wealthier areas there are book stores with one or two Thais scouring the bookshelves.

Edited by inmysights

lets make a happy assumption - IF everyone in Thailand has an iPad, would it help to increase the popularity of reading ?

I guess will be more comic strips, cartoons and games around :-)

Simon

"Garbage in, garbage out." The comment about iPad is interesting. It is the future, now. More and more people are not reading paper books or newspapers. Information is increasingly being accessed in electronic format. So, even if they "win" and get their wish (Paper Book Capital of the World), they will lose and be seen by the rest of the world as backward thinking.

lets make a happy assumption - IF everyone in Thailand has an iPad, would it help to increase the popularity of reading ?

That is an interesting question. In Thailand it would likely increase comic-book reading on expensive iPads. It is the same with the computers in Thailand that are used for games by students. Solution? Fire all of the teachers and administrators and start over :) The ruling class, IMHO, does not want the Thai public reading anything that might make them THINK about new ideas and new ways of doing things.

A genuine question seeking clarification and/or knowledge. How can you understand anything from reading a book in the Thai language which is tonal? Not to mention how many versions of the Thai language are there? Could the Khmer folk in Isan understand perceived Thai?

I was told recently that the reason that the Chinese and Japanese languages have so many characters is to keep communications difficult and that only the scholars could read and write i.e. it was a means to keep the rabble in the dark and in their place. Maybe Rama V had the same idea?

If this is a genuine effort to broaden the horizons of the man on the BKK omnibus all well and good but for many here on this board, I expect their expectations of such to be low. How many that contribute here and whose first language is not English, bother to use free software readily available to check spelling and grammar thus supplementing their understanding and fund of knowledge? Pots and kettles? Living in a glasshouse?

The members of my Thai family were all paid up members of the Flat Earth Society until I bought a globe for the kids. I have never seen a globe in a Thai school. None of the family could point out the location of Thailand - or any of the neighbouring countries. None could identify the whereabouts of any province on a map of Thailand. Buddha forbid that they lift up their eyes and look around them.

It's not only books,is it? The problem goes much further Just as the radio comedy programmes of yesteryear were hysterically funny because one's imagination ran riot, which is not the case of visual comedy, so it is with books. To enjoy the written word one has to employ one's imagination and that would never do for Thailand would it? That could lead to the established order being meddled with.

I am here to read and to share my idea..... If I'm wrong, please say so.....

Have you guys ever heard of Kindle from Amazon which allows us to buy e-books version for absolutely very affordable prices?

And IPad offers an extremely wonderful design for e-books reading environment.

below is the link to get some ideas of how many e-book versions are and the comparisons between them.

e-book formats

To set up the world book center is a kind of ignorance to the future's trend. I'm not sure that they have done the research based on this topic yet?

Source Thai National Statistic Unit : Likely, it's OK for Thai cos only 16 MPeople have computers(26.8%) in 2007.

source ThaiPost 13 Nov 10:

Dr.Sompong Jitradabt, Chula Uni. said that from a research Thai people read the book stuff at the average of 94mins/Day which uses to against the old existing data that Thai's readings 8 lines/Yr is wrong.

Why don't they just promote the things they already have and are good at?

Um....... Can you give me a hint?:ermm:

... I've had this discussion, seeking the informed views of those here locally and outside of Thailand ... the question was to cite examples of Thai exceptionalism.

... at the top of almost everyone's list, the overwhelming reply was Thai prostitution ... followed by Thai corruption ... distantly behind which followed a various mix including Thai rice, Thai silk, Thai Buddhism, Thai island resorts ... consider:

+ Thai prostitution -- the undisputed world champion, Thailand has arguably the world's most well-developed prostitution industry ... illegal, of course, and all courtesy of a proud Buddhist nation ... Thai prostitution #1

+ Thai corruption -- Assumption University Thailand (ABAC) polled in November 2010 that 76.1% of all Thais now accept official corruption ... corruption is now culturally and institutionally burned into the Thai DNA, and probably indelibly burned into the DNA of future generations of Thais ... these people vote, and they breed

+ Thai rice -- Thailand boasts an agrarian system rigged to benefit a minority of corrupt businessmen and government officials, at the expense of millions of poor and permanently illiterate Thai farmers and their families, living in near indentured servitude

+ Thai silk -- a marginal industry benefitting mere handfuls (incidentally, a craft saved decades ago from obsolescence by a farang named Jim Thompson)

+ Thai Buddhism -- a Korean Buddhist describes Thai Buddhism as a religion hijacked by the ruling elite, and long-used to pacify and subjugate the peasants

+ Thai island beach resorts -- going ... going ... gone ... increasingly characterized by trash-filled beaches, waters polluted with industrial and human waste, dead reefs, grossly over-developed resorts, decidedly agressive and unfriendly scam artists collaborating with corrupt police ... welcome to Thailand!

... Thailand is third-world dysfunctional, and I believe it's best chances to be a better nation, a better people, are now behind it ... excepting for the infrastructure, socially, politically, educationally, militarily, judicially, ethically, spiritually, you've got yourself Cambodia.

... the notion that Thailand is capable of excelling at anything as ambitious as intellectual pursuits is just laughable to anyone who has even a modest understanding of Thais, Thai culture and Thai cultural values.

Edited by swillowbee

Thailand becomes World Book Capital, and said reading would improve good thinking . . .

ah . . . after too much TALK about creative economy and they suddenly realised that first they need good thinking ! this will be a super dose in next 2 years !!

The only people I see reading books are students. They are forced to.

and not many of them. "studies have found a decline in average reading in the city". Have you ever walked into a book store in Thailand and seen more than 2 or 3 Thai's in them.. it's almost always farangs. :) People see me reading, they ask, what you doing? I'm reading, then they look at me like I'm crazy. Their thinking, he's a farang, he's rich, why he's reading and not watching tv.

...... The ruling class, IMHO, does not want the Thai public reading anything that might make them THINK about new ideas and new ways of doing things.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. It's even worse in the provinces, I have heard more than once where people or companies have

tried to build a public library, all with private funds, and the provincial government has responded with firm no.

What's next Bangkok 2014 - Innovative City Planning Capital

They would be sad if they weren't so dam_n hilarious

Why don't they just promote the things they already have and are good at?

Um....... Can you give me a hint?:ermm:

... I've had this discussion, seeking the informed views of those here locally and outside of Thailand ... the question was to cite examples of Thai exceptionalism.

... at the top of almost everyone's list, the overwhelming reply was Thai prostitution ... followed by Thai corruption ... distantly behind which followed a various mix including Thai rice, Thai silk, Thai Buddhism, Thai island resorts ... consider:

+ Thai prostitution -- the undisputed world champion, Thailand has arguably the world's most well-developed prostitution industry ... illegal, of course, and all courtesy of a proud Buddhist nation ... Thai prostitution #1

+ Thai corruption -- Assumption University Thailand (ABAC) polled in November 2010 that 76.1% of all Thais now accept official corruption ... corruption is now culturally and institutionally burned into the Thai DNA, and probably indelibly burned into the DNA of future generations of Thais ... these people vote, and they breed

+ Thai rice -- Thailand boasts an agrarian system rigged to benefit a minority of corrupt businessmen and government officials, at the expense of millions of poor and permanently illiterate Thai farmers and their families, living in near indentured servitude

+ Thai silk -- a marginal industry benefitting mere handfuls (incidentally, a craft saved decades ago from obsolescence by a farang named Jim Thompson)

+ Thai Buddhism -- a Korean Buddhist describes Thai Buddhism as a religion hijacked by the ruling elite, and long-used to pacify and subjugate the peasants

+ Thai island beach resorts -- going ... going ... gone ... increasingly characterized by trash-filled beaches, waters polluted with industrial and human waste, dead reefs, grossly over-developed resorts, decidedly agressive and unfriendly scam artists collaborating with corrupt police ... welcome to Thailand!

... Thailand is third-world dysfunctional, and I believe it's best chances to be a better nation, a better people, are now behind it ... excepting for the infrastructure, socially, politically, educationally, militarily, judicially, ethically, spiritually, you've got yourself Cambodia.

... the notion that Thailand is capable of excelling at anything as ambitious as intellectual pursuits is just laughable to anyone who has even a modest understanding of Thais, Thai culture and Thai cultural values.

Wow Swillowbee, tell us what you really think about Thai's and Thailand. :lol: