Bangkok To Become World Book Capital In 2013

webfact

I wonder how many views on education on here are by bar stool experts who have to do Visa runs due to not having enough education to get a Visa. :whistling:

Very good. I like what you are saying. But in reality I think not many.

jb1

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lets make a happy assumption - IF everyone in Thailand has an iPad, would it help to increase the popularity of reading ?

I guess will be more comic strips, cartoons and games around :-)

That is an interesting question. In Thailand it would likely increase comic-book reading on expensive iPads. It is the same with the computers in Thailand that are used for games by students. Solution? Fire all of the teachers and administrators and start over :) The ruling class, IMHO, does not want the Thai public reading anything that might make them THINK about new ideas and new ways of doing things.

Agreed. The ruling class of a country at the stage of development that Thailand is now in hardly needs an educated citizenry if it is to perpetuate its own corrupt position.

The situation is pretty hopeless. Has anyone seen the TV channels devoted to thorough brainwashing (round about 7 pm to 9 pm) every night? Those are channels that just could not stay in business in places like UK, Holland and Scandinavia.

Trust me, nowadays the UK is neck and neck with Thailand when it comes to TV. Just look at the reality TV crap polluting the airwaves over in Euroland...

What about the availability of books? I see a lot of bookshops but they don't seem to have large sections dedicated to indigenous literature; mostly periodicals, Educational/Self Help books and the small paperbacks targeting younger people. Books that are available tend to be rather expensive and out of the financial reach of many. Libraries might help on that issue but there isn't a large body of Thai work and I don't know how available translated editions of foreign lit might be (or how well received). I suppose before or as part of promoting reading the gov't needs to promote the creation of reasonably priced works with mass market appeal. There doesn't seem to be much of a market yet but maybe that's a lack of product? or a lack of market hence no product?

I disagree, do you read Thai? In book stores like Dok Ya and Nai Inn chain, they have a lot of books from various categories. They're all affordable. Maybe their bookstores are not as large as Kinokuniya or Asia Book, and this is because Thailand is a small countries with yes, less writers and less readers, whereas, Kinokuniya and Asia Book stocks books from English writers, that will effectively expand the number of books being stocked. Just simple logic really - more English speakers in the world, more English books published. Ok, multiplied by the factor of more readers in English speakers then there's more English books to be sold, hence bigger section and bigger stores.

Have you ever read comic books? Not all of them are for children! Most of the comic books in Thailand is Japanese, licensed and translated into Thai. And in Japan, cartoons are also for adults. A lot of them are very complex, almost like a novel. There are lot of crime investigation comic books that I read that I think is very complex and intellectually stimulating. There's also Japanese chef comic that are very educating. It essentially teaches people how to cook, to know the history of sushis, how they're made, how they're developed. They're also science fiction cartoon like metrix, some are even better. This type of cartoon doesn't exist in English speaking culture, hence you look down on it.

Japan use comics to educate their children. I remember when I was young I bought a Japanese comic encyclopedia translated in Thai and read them. It looks like a silly cartoon but it actually teaches me a lot about history, science and many other things that I wouldn't have enough efforts to learn if it wasn't in form of cartoon.

I think you dismiss cartoon too quickly, hence your wrong judgement about Thai people reading cartoons means them not developping in the literal world. People from different culture learn differently. Just because they don't read a book, doesn't mean that they're not learning in other forms.

But yes, you're right about people don't read enough and don't have enough culture of reading. But to think that we perceive reading as deviant, is over-doing it, really. Unless you're really surrounded by those type of people, which is rather unrepresentative. And you're right about Thai authorities come out to say things like saying it meaning becoming it. This is sickening, it's almost as if they don't have a logic to seperate imagination from the reality. Thai are particularly good at self-delusionning, I think it stems from saving-face culture. If you believe in something hard enough, you'll end up seeing it - the problem is only you that sees it.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

World Book Capital is a title bestowed by UNESCO to a city in recognition of the quality of its programs to promote books and reading and the dedication of all players in the book industry.

The designation runs from April 23 (UNESCO's World Book and Copyright Day) of one year until April 22 of the following year.

Ahhh so now it makes sense they don't actually need to make the people read books they've just got to promote it a lot.It's sad that someone in authority has actually been paid to think this up, goes hand in hand with free riot insurance with your tourist visa.

Well spotted kevec. Yes It would seem that they are looking at ways to push Thailand up the world ratings ladder. Without having to actually worry so much about educating the masses. A cunning plan?

jb1

bless them, bangkok is becoming like manchester. everything that came up they were there 'can we have it' trying to make the dreary shithole bearable, even trying to get the olympics :rolleyes:

What next for bangkok I wonder?? a new hub? a new centre? a new capital of something or other?

Anybody who considers Bangkok a shithole has either been in thailand too long, is very badly constipated, or has horrific perspective in general. It is one of the great cities of the world. What is not to like about Bangkok? It has some of the most pleasant people of any major capital, anywhere in the world.

I think all who suggested comic books were correct. With internet happening even in the villages - books are moving over for eBooks. Save the trees and if we all get hit with an EMP, (electromagnetic pulse) we lose all and can start again! Back to the printing presses.

Comic books, I presume.

The book hub of the world. Are there any hubs left that won't be in Thailand. Enid blyton books I think Noddy and Sambo are still aceptable here..

Bkk capital hub of world books. older students here read comics, they watch crap /stupid t.v. soaps/and animated cartoons-because thats nearly all thats forced on them, NO geography taught-very little air time given on learning. adverts for skin whitening or farrang/Thai high SOs kids getting kids to buy tooth killing sweets. I read dandy and beano at 6 years, and spick and span at 13 years.

It was the Hotspur and "Eagle" and Meccano sets for me!!

How any country that can have a TV station with a camera focussed on an effn panda 24/7 can claim to be any kind of an education capital is beyond understanding! What a pitiful waste of resources in a nation where most kids IQ is amongst the lowest in the World.

bless them, bangkok is becoming like manchester. everything that came up they were there 'can we have it' trying to make the dreary shithole bearable, even trying to get the olympics :rolleyes:

What next for bangkok I wonder?? a new hub? a new centre? a new capital of something or other?

Anybody who considers Bangkok a shithole has either been in thailand too long, is very badly constipated, or has horrific perspective in general. It is one of the great cities of the world. What is not to like about Bangkok? It has some of the most pleasant people of any major capital, anywhere in the world.

Or needs to get laid (He probably can't get laid):lol:

Almost no parks. Horrible air. I could go on. Not saying there aren't good points, but what's not to like, get real ...

A genuine question seeking clarification and/or knowledge. How can you understand anything from reading a book in the Thai language which is tonal?

Very genuine/naive, indeed.

Simple, the various tones are *written* down. So when you read a syllable, you also read what tone it should bear.

If books were not so expensive, maybe people would read more.

I often witnessed Thai people reading the news paper, really going through an article, not just browsing the titles. In the comics, they do read the short stories.

But when the mere paperback edition costs more than one day wages, of course the majority of people will not buy books.

If books were not so expensive, maybe people would read more.

I often witnessed Thai people reading the news paper, really going through an article, not just browsing the titles. In the comics, they do read the short stories.

But when the mere paperback edition costs more than one day wages, of course the majority of people will not buy books.

Liberate and as well as support the book shops,

No more input 7% Vat .

This is micro economics ...

Consumption will increase accordin' to the range of prices..

Don't know I ordered a book from Amazon to get it delivered here .... but the system responded that there is no service in Thailand though.

Is it workin' like Cheese? in Viet, Cheese is extremely cheap. On contrary in Thailand, Cheese is quite high in price.

text books here cost more than buying from Amazon a lot....

Market Domination?

Comic books, I presume.

The book hub of the world. Are there any hubs left that won't be in Thailand. Enid blyton books I think Noddy and Sambo are still aceptable here..

Bkk capital hub of world books. older students here read comics, they watch crap /stupid t.v. soaps/and animated cartoons-because thats nearly all thats forced on them, NO geography taught-very little air time given on learning. adverts for skin whitening or farrang/Thai high SOs kids getting kids to buy tooth killing sweets. I read dandy and beano at 6 years, and spick and span at 13 years.

It was the Hotspur and "Eagle" and Meccano sets for me!!

How any country that can have a TV station with a camera focussed on an effn panda 24/7 can claim to be any kind of an education capital is beyond understanding! What a pitiful waste of resources in a nation where most kids IQ is amongst the lowest in the World.

Yes - Eagle and Meccano! Did you ever make the match box dispensing machine? One old penny per box. :D

Back on topic: I often go to book shops and see school kids sitting cross legged on the floor reading the books. It depends on time of day, of course, but after 4 pm the book shops are packed.

Comic books, I presume.

I remember Spick and Span ! I learned to read one-handed with those (ahem) magazines.:whistling: Back to the topic, seems a pointless exercise, as Thai folk will most likely be encouraged to read books on how the "Thai way" is best. No point in breaking down the brainwashing with real educational subjects, the peasants might end up revolting, once they get a real education, and that will never happen. :(

It makes you weep sometimes. For a start if they were serious they would strip out the PA systems from the BTS, MRT, shopping malls etc that act as a constant distraction both visual and aural. Give people some peace and quiet if you want to encourage them to read.

They might also consider following the Chinese lead and banning all billboards promoting luxury lifestyles. Apparently the Chinese government is concerned about the widening gap between rich and poor fomenting social unrest!