Lao Girl Cut In Half By Fleeing Stolen Porsche: Thai Police

webfact

So reports of a young man with long black hair, fair skin with blood on his clothing getting out of a porche with license plate J-1352 and getting into a cab was incorrect. The upper body of a person being removed from the vehicle bearing license plate J-1352 as depicted in videos and pics is unrelated.

Have they located the vehicle with license plate NGO-1352 as yet?

Three words for you... learn some Thai.

I am extreemly sorry that I have offended you in some way it was not my intention. I am sooo sorry. I thought this thread was being written in English and not Thai once again I am extreemly sorry for offending you.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe some people here should let the Thai cultural norms prevail and don't get the blood pressure up with so much righteous indignation and clamor for what they perceive as victims rights. Look out your window... this is Thailand....unless you are in your homeland and then it's <deleted>?!

Exactly live and let live is my motto. If they want to run a circus where people murder with impunity that's fine. As long as i'm properly insulated from it they can do as they please. Most of them have to live here permanently and deal with this. We are merely long stay tourists who can still jump ship if we see the vessel steering towards the rocks.

the answer to your last question is - NO - Thai laws are made by the elite for the elite.

Incorrect. The laws of Thailand are quite robust considering the frequent changes in the legislatures that passed them into law. It's the laughable enforcement and the Thai people's willingness AT ALL LEVELS to pay money to bend these laws that is the prevailing constant.

the answer to your last question is - NO - Thai laws are made by the elite for the elite.

Incorrect. The laws of Thailand are quite robust considering the frequent changes in the legislatures that passed them into law. It's the laughable enforcement and the Thai people's willingness AT ALL LEVELS to pay money to bend these laws that is the prevailing constant.

If people don't have the ability to enforce or the need to follow the "social contract" then the law itself is a meaningless piece of bureaucracy. So much of Thai law comes down to just meaningless paperwork for low paid clerks to shuffle around. Nothing here is enforceable if you have the right connections.

The mentality is very much "wild west" where the only thing stopping you from capping someone in the back is if anyone else is watching it.

Edited by wintermute

Correct.

So reports of a young man with long black hair, fair skin with blood on his clothing getting out of a porche with license plate J-1352 and getting into a cab was incorrect. The upper body of a person being removed from the vehicle bearing license plate J-1352 as depicted in videos and pics is unrelated.

Have they located the vehicle with license plate NGO-1352 as yet?

Three words for you... learn some Thai.

I am extreemly sorry that I have offended you in some way it was not my intention. I am sooo sorry. I thought this thread was being written in English and not Thai once again I am extreemly sorry for offending you.

No offense george... you assumed that the reporting was correct when they said J and then saw a Thai squiggle that looked like a J on the video. You'll get the hang of it eventually.

Maybe some people here should let the Thai cultural norms prevail and don't get the blood pressure up with so much righteous indignation and clamor for what they perceive as victims rights. Look out your window... this is Thailand....unless you are in your homeland and then it's <deleted>?!

Exactly live and let live is my motto. If they want to run a circus where people murder with impunity that's fine. As long as i'm properly insulated from it they can do as they please. Most of them have to live here permanently and deal with this. We are merely long stay tourists who can still jump ship if we see the vessel steering towards the rocks.

You may be a "long stay tourist", but I consider myself 'resident' as I am in Thailand on a Non-Immigrant visa with extension based on retirement. As long as I meet the requirements of the Immigration Police, I will continue to be resident in Thailand.

I am like thousands of other expats in similar circumstances as residents of Thailand. My home is here not in some other country.

I would like to be a "Permanent resident" but that's only rarely available to a select few.

Sorry to be pedantic.

You may be a "long stay tourist", but I consider myself 'resident' as I am in Thailand on a Non-Immigrant visa with extension based on retirement. As long as I meet the requirements of the Immigration Police, I will continue to be resident in Thailand.

I am like thousands of other expats in similar circumstances as residents of Thailand. My home is here not in some other country.

I would like to be a "Permanent resident" but that's only rarely available to a select few.

Sorry to be pedantic.

Your visa or residency status or income origins means exactly squat. You are still a tourist and you may believe yourself to be some kind of integral part of Thai society but that's just not true. You're not Thai and you will never be Thai unless you're asian and you slowly convert over a generation to their language and culture. That's just the way things are here.

Sorry to be pedantic.

Your visa or residency status or income origins means exactly squat. You are still a tourist and you may believe yourself to be some kind of integral part of Thai society but that's just not true. You're not Thai and you will never be Thai unless you're asian and you slowly convert over a generation to their language and culture. That's just the way things are here.

Correct, AND you can be chucked out at the whim of any government law change here. :huh:

Correct, AND you can be chucked out at the whim of any government law change here. :huh:

These laws are also subject to the xenophobic/ethnocentric ebb and flow of Thai bureaucrats which are bipolar and illogical in even the best of times.

Anyone remember that investment visa where all you had to do was buy a condo?

I am quite disturbed with the way the police is handling this case. How could you allow the criminal to attend Cheng Meng festival? Hit and run is a crime. According to the news, the victim mother can seek compensation up to 200,000 bhat only. Wow, I want to slap the car owner's face couple time and pay him 200,000 bhat.

200,000 Bht.......Just about cover the damage to the vehicle........... The mother can seek-what the hell !!!!!!!! poor lady.... Reminds me of the Tollway incident somehow ---how much was given there ---is this a repeat. This is related, and should be answered.

Actually I believe the news reports say that 200,000 baht is from the "base insurance" that all registered vehicles in Thailand must have, or what they call "พรบ". This insurance is owned by the government which covers only the people involved and not the vehicles; in most cases people usually buy an additional 3rd party insurance like Viriyah, Bangkok Insurance, etc. to get additional coverage such as first class insurance to pay for vehicle repairs.

So in this case the Cayman was insured first class, which means the victim's mother can file for additional compensation from Bangkok Insurance (who insured this car). Furthermore, if there is some lawyer kind enough to take on this case, the victim's family can also pursue criminal charges against the car owner for even more compensation.

I know this hardly compensates for the loss of a loved one, but at least it's a start. But the cynical side of my thinks they are probably gonna settle this out of court anyway.

So in this case the Cayman was insured first class, which means the victim's mother can file for additional compensation from Bangkok Insurance (who insured this car). Furthermore, if there is some lawyer kind enough to take on this case, the victim's family can also pursue criminal charges against the car owner for even more compensation.

Do you think the Thai legal system and a powerful corrupt insurance company will ever pay anything more than a very token sum to a Laotian migrant worker? I'd be surprised if they don't just get the family deported to save a few baht.

Do you think the Thai legal system and a powerful corrupt insurance company will ever pay anything more than a very token sum to a Laotian migrant worker? I'd be surprised if they don't just get the family deported to save a few baht.

Now you are being silly. They may appear to be callous but they aren't totally mercenary.

200,00 baht will go a long way in Laos anyway so whatever the victim's family chooses to accept, don't forget that this acceptance was not forced on them.

Now you are being silly. They may appear to be callous but they aren't totally mercenary.

200,00 baht will go a long way in Laos anyway so whatever the victim's family chooses to accept, don't forget that this acceptance was not forced on them.

The Death of there Daughter was forced upon them though! but never mind 200k will make it better!

you sound like you are related to the Porsche owner.

The Death of there Daughter was forced upon them though! but never mind 200k will make it better!

you sound like you are related to the Porsche owner.

Sadly, the practicalities of NL's comment are spot on.

200,000 Baht will not replace a daughter but, if they are Buddhist and their daughter has gone to the next life, it will make their own lives a bit more comfortable.

Sorry to be pedantic.

Presumably from your somewhat diffused thinking and syntax you are an american in which case one supposes some latitude may be given.

Many posters here, myself included, are indeed residents qualifying for that immigration status as work permit holders, retirees or as spouses of Thai. Although many of us are under no illusions about permanent residence status or indeed naturalisation we, however, are entitled to the protection of Thai law and as such our voice in protest at the corrupt practices is as legitimate as if it were raised by a Thai.

Whether you appreciate it or not there is a change in attitudes among the Thai intelligensia that has been provoked by our increasing association with them and through the effects of the internet et al. Expat Thai returning to Thailand has also brought about a change and I have no doubt that eventually the Thai themselves will recognise having a corrupt police force is in fact in nobody's interests in the long term. A useful tool in promoting this change is transparency and by publicisng examples of travesties of justice such as this through internet fora is a start. Issues the Thai would prefer to see buried are gaining a currency that cannot easily be reconciled with the Thai official version of events and I'm sure the powers that be are becoming increasingly embarrassed by the antics of their executive.

Bisecting an innocent pedestrian and fleeing the scene in order to dispose of evidence and evade responsibility is a crime of such a horrific nature that I suspect the local police may be having second thoughts about employing their usual practices and justice might even follow its course.

Of course I could be wrong.

Hit and run is a crime.

It is not in Thailand. Just remember that when you are in an accident, there is NO incentive for the guilty party to hang around - so always try to make sure the other party [if you are hit] are cornered off/doesn't have the car keys etc so he can take off.

Horrendous. It's a pity she didn't go through the driver's side.

okay, some of you folks need to take a deep breath and look at this calmly.

You keep doing it don't you. <_<

Just remember this post the next time he wants to give his 'professional [bS} opinion' on any event.

Just pure garbage with all facts messed up.

There is a video clip of the police going through the crime scene here

WARNING: This clip contains unedited footage of the crime scene and many gory scenes! Use your own discretion when viewing it.

Watching this and seeing the people milling around. Even the BIB with his point & shoot. Made me think, now tell this is not a third world country??

jb1

In my experience in dealing with them the Chinese-Thais are totally mercenary, and then some.

200,000thb is not the value of a human life, regardless of what the family is forced to accept. There will be no justice for the family other than a financial windfall which will be forced upon them by the powers-that-be. Don't be so naive to suggest there is any real choice on behalf of the victim's family.

A flawed culture is exposed fully as it is whenever the rich commit criminal acts against poor people here.

I wonder if the guy was on his phone during the accident? Texting maybe? To hit a pedestrian without first seeing the person and braking, swerving, skidding, maybe even crashing to avoid the person makes me wonder if he was on the phone or BB-ing or texting?

RIP, poor girl.

The guy drives ten freakin kilometers afterwards ? ! It never ceases to amaze me how stone-hearted some people are. Cops won't catch him, as if it weren't tragic enough. So they'll probably charge the car's owner - mark my words and keep us abreast of any updates, please, Webfact.

Charge the cars owner, why not, you really think that the car was stolen???How very handy for the owner.

Yes when you think about it there is more to this than meets the eye