Kentucky mine accident kills 54-year-old miner

News_Editor

Kentucky mine accident kills 54-year-old miner

2011-03-26 05:33:12 GMT+7 (ICT)

FRANKFORT, KENTUCKY (BNO NEWS) -- An underground mine worker was killed at a mine in the U.S. state of Kentucky on early Friday morning, officials said.

A statement from Kentucky's Energy and Environment Cabinet said the accident happened at around 8 a.m. local time at the Czar mine near Bear Water Branch on the Martin - Johnson County line. The mine is being operated by Matrix Energy LLC.

According to investigators from the Kentucky Office of Mine Safety and Licensing (OMSL), preliminary reports indicate that the miner was fatally injured when he was pinned by the boom of a continuous miner. "This is sad and tragic, and our thoughts and prayers are with the family of this miner," said Energy and Environment Cabinet Secretary Len Peters.

Peters identified the victim as 54-year-old Robert L. Cook of Inez in Martin County. He was pronounced dead at the scene by Martin County coroner Joe Mullins.

"We must continue our efforts as regulators and companies to ensure a safe working environment for the thousands of men and women who work above and below ground each day to provide this energy resource to the Commonwealth," Peters added.

Friday's fatality is the first mine fatality in Kentucky in 2011.

Last year, on April 5, a total of 29 miners were killed after an explosion at the Upper Big Branch coal mine in Raleigh County, West Virginia. It was the worst mine disaster in the United States since 1970 when 38 miners were killed in Hyden, Kentucky.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-03-26