Concern For Missing Monks And High-Rise Buildings In Bangkok

Lite Beer

Concern for missing monks and high-rise buildings in Bangkok

By The Nation on Sunday.

30151870-01.JPG

An inquiry was ordered yesterday into the reported disappearance of 10 Thai Buddhist monks on a pilgrimage to Burma's Kyaing Tong City.

Office of National Buddhism (ONB) director Nopparat Benjawatananun said he had urged its Chiang Rai office to inquire if such 10 monks and disciples had travelled on a pilgrimage and gone missing after magnitude-6.8 earthquake in northeast Burma on Thursday night. He said that, normally, such an overland pilgrimage trip would not reported to the ONB.

A source who deals with Thai tourists going to Burma said yesterday that about 50 Thai tourists were stranded in Burma's Kyaing Tong City as the road linking Tachilek province to Kyaing Tong City was damaged. However, tour operators could transport them back by boat if necessary. About 500 Thai tourists also cancelled a plan to visit Burma until roads and bridges are repaired.

Meanwhile, Culture Minister Nipit Intarasombat and senior officials yesterday inspected quake-affected ancient sites in Chiang Rai's Chiang Saen district: Phra That Chom Kitti, Phra That Poo Khao, Wat Pa Sak and Phra Thatchedi Luang.

They were also told that besides these four sites, which have been sealed off by the Fine Arts Office 8 in Chiang Mai because of damage pending repairs, another pagoda in Wat Prasat Khum was cracked at the base and mid-body.

In case of more quakes, Nipit instructed officials to erect props to keep Phra That Chom Kitti's top layered umbrella in place. He said the pagoda's foundation was strengthened in 2006, so it should not collapse, as some fear.

He will report to Cabinet tomorrow about the damage and speed up work to assess what costs to restore and repair the sites, so funds can be allocated as soon as possible.

Seismologist Paibul Nuannil, from Prince of Songkhla University's Hat Yai campus, urged the government and related agencies yesterday to install a high-quality earthquake warning system in order to warn the public and help evacuate people at risk to safety promptly. He said this was necessary because Thailand had 13 fault lines.

Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paripatra said he would call for a meeting next week to assess the situation because Bangkok had many high-rise buildings but did not have measures in place in regard to earthquakes.

Builders and city officials would have to discuss new requirements for high-rise construction permits. He said the city would speed up safety inspections of high-rise buildings. He also said the BMA, having completed a disaster-prevention plan last year that includes quakes, was preparing to train BMA officials. He said the city might add tsunami prevention into the plan because Bangkok also was near the sea.

Deputy Governor Porthep Techapaiboon said the BMA would ask the Department of Public Works and Town and Country Planning to amend the Building Control Act 2007, while the Engineering Institute of Thailand would coordinate with related agencies to inspect and improve abandoned buildings.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-27

Seismologist Paibul Nuannil, from Prince of Songkhla University's Hat Yai campus, urged the government and related agencies yesterday to install a high-quality earthquake warning system in order to warn the public and help evacuate people at risk to safety promptly. He said this was necessary because Thailand had 13 fault lines.

Earthquake warning systems? The only ones I know of are animals.

In Thailand science and magic are the same thing

This headline really had me in stitches, not the missing monks, dont get me wrong.

Concern for ( missing High rise buildings in Bangkok ) Now that would be difficult for the bib to solve. The high rise buildings must have fled the scene after the incident,:lol: :lol:

This headline really had me in stitches, not the missing monks, dont get me wrong.

Concern for ( missing High rise buildings in Bangkok ) Now that would be difficult for the bib to solve. The high rise buildings must have fled the scene after the incident,:lol: :lol:

Maybe liquefaction was than we all thought, and the buildings just sank into the Bangkok mud.

Maybe liquefaction was than we all thought, and the buildings just sank into the Bangkok mud.

I think a good Idea is for many of the powers that be ought to be made to go into the mud and search for them. B)

Not difficult at alll, the missing monks are in the missing buildings, obvious.

Nation does it again. The headline conveys the idea that there are missing buildings and monks in Bangkok. :thumbsup:

Very poorly written article...

But, as we've seen lately, parts of LOS are at seismic risk - as is clear in the attached map. While BKK's risk is low, the Northern & Western mountainous regions are at risk of a moderate quake substantial enough to damage buildings and pose risk to occupants. I should add that oil & gas activity and water table over-extraction can increase seismic activity. So, in Chaing Mai - and even in Bangkok - make sure to design, detail & build for at least moderate seismic activity, and occupy only buildings built by well-respected pros, and recently!

post-111479-0-75107200-1301206363_thumb.

Fear not. The only real reason I clicked on the link was to read about the missing high rises. Maybe there's a reward for finding them.

That might actually be true, especially if they collapsed just as neatly as the WTC on 9/11. Maybe someone wanted to get rid of them and simply waited for the next earth quake to cover it up. At least that's easier than arranging a couple of planes. ;)

That might actually be true, especially if they collapsed just as neatly as the WTC on 9/11. Maybe someone wanted to get rid of them and simply waited for the next earth quake to cover it up. At least that's easier than arranging a couple of planes. ;)

Ha ha-how true Agent!

In Thailand science and magic are the same thing

It isn't magic just because you don't know it.

Earthquake Early Warnings The Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) provides residents in Japan with Earthquake Early Warnings. This is a new system that issues prompt alerts just as an earthquake starts, providing valuable seconds for people to protect themselves before strong tremors arrive.

On 1 October 2007, JMA launched the Earthquake Early Warning service for provision through a number of media outlets such as TV and radio.

http://www.jma.go.jp/jma/en/Activities/eew.html

Or the monks have run off with the missing buildings?

Maybe I can work for the Nation writing headlines :whistling:

hysterical !

on planet Thai deep in the solar system