Which Pickup Truck Would You Buy........ And Why ?

For a family vehicle, I believe a car is the way to go. They're more comfortable, safer and handle better than a pickup. Financially, the pickups seem to be the best value for the money though and they do have the advantage of riding higher which helps when the streets are flooded. Some say the 3.0 diesel engines provide enough horsepower that a turbo charger isn't necessary whereas the 2.5 needs that extra boost to compensate for less hp. I would think that the non-turbo engines would last longer due to less stress but many of these turbo charged pickups seem to run forever.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you decide on a pick-up and you have kids, go for a 4-door vehicle. It,s much more roomy and comfortable for the back seat drivers. 2-door pick-ups generally have only a 90 degree bench type seat in the back. Very uncomfortable for long journeys.

Fords. great pick-ups and great after sales service. 2.5L is powerful enough

Don't forget pick-ups are propulsion, thus dangerous on wet roads.

I choose Toyota Vigo 4x4 for a change to the many normal vehicules I drove (allows me to carry the motorbike to Phuket or Issaan) and drive in 4wheel drive on wet roads, increases stability and security a lot.

I choose Toyota Vigo 4x4 for a  change to the many normal vehicules I drove (allows me to carry the motorbike to Phuket or Issaan) and drive in 4wheel drive on wet roads, increases stability and security a lot.

I have read previously in auto mags. that 4x4's should not be driven in 4 wheel drive on dry or wet surfaces, but only on snow or off road.

Had six pickups here, all Toyotas. (Australian 2.8 diesel, MightyX x 2, Tiger x 2 and present D4D. One Tiger and the D4D both 2dr 3.0L diesel 4wd.) Only problems I've had have been a split cylinder head on a Tiger (after 200k) and had to renew under warranty the a/c compressor on the D4D. Apart from that all other mechanics and bodywork has been excellent.

At the begining of this month I decided on a new vehicle and this time missed my first stop and went to Toyota last as I wanted to see what else was on offer.

Ford/Mazda - outdated looks put me off

Nissan (Frontier) - they looked fairly nice but apparently have poor resale value

Chevrolet (Colorado) - although very similair to the D-max, exterior was nice the interior looked too plasticy for my likes

Mitsubushi, the new model (Triton) - 2wd looked crap. 4wd looked a lot better but I just couldn't get round to liking the rear bed design. The interior on the better models was nice though with things like electric seats and computer etc

Isuzu (D-max) - I have always liked the look of these, especially 4dr 4wd. My friend has one and he's never had a problem with it

Toyota (Vigo) - 2wd doesn't look as good as 4wd which looks very nice from the outside and the interiors were very spacious. Heard nothing but good reports regarding the engine/speed and the comfort factor has had glowing reports.

So, after debating long and hard between Isuzu and Toyota, I once again decided to go with Toyota. Black 4dr 4wd Vigo which should be here within a couple of weeks or so too! :o

All the 3.0L 4dr 4wd pickups I looked at were pretty much the same when it came to cost. The most expensive was the Mitsu Triton @ 890,000 (top of the range) and the difference between the Isuzu and Toyota was minimul, @ +/-820,000. Didn't even ask the prices of the others as I wasn't that impressed with them.

Going to the car or pickup argument. Each to their own but for me pickups all the way. I remember a few years ago driving up one of the main thoroughfares in Bangkok during the floods. Every car and I mean every car had broken down and the pickups especially the higher ones continued on weaving in between the cars and onward towards their destinations. PU's are so much more versatile too. You try getting more than five/six people comfortably into a car and the shopping!! :D

Pickup cabs are definitely not that comfy. I've been to the far south of Thailand a few times in a Hilux Tiger and for many of those km's I was in the cab part; at least we stopped frequently! The trouble with pickups are mainly the high tax and the truck bed; can't carry passengers in it and the four door models are taxed through the roof. Some cars offer pretty decent ground clearance for those flooded streets plus a 4X4 vehicle is not necessary for anything other than off road use.

A poster recently commented on the Nissan NV's. They're not too expensive to buy but the body seems a bit weak. I drive an old Toyota and they don't make 'em like they used to. It feels like a tank compared to the Honda Jazz and other light vehicles.

Edited by Thaiboxer

4X4 vehicle is not necessary for anything other than off road use.

not strictly true.

when using 4wd in wet or slippery conditions you will have more control over the vehicle should traction be lost to one pair of wheels , such as when suddenly aquaplaning on poorly drained roads or when sliding on a greasy wet , muddy or gravelly road. less likely to lose control on corners too if you enter one a bit too fast or the radius tightens too quickly , ( as it often does here , especially on u turn bridges or off ramps.)

pick- ups have rudimentary rear suspension set ups anyway , leaf springs set up for heavy loads in the back . without a load pick ups jump around a lot at the back , control can be lost easily. anything that can help is good.

4wd is not just a testosterone buzz for the owner , its a useful feature most of the time.

My colorado is like a car inside, 4 door, loads of room and very comfortable, it sits 5 with ease and comfort and you can throw all your shopping etc in the back.

It is exactly the same size, length, height etc as the 4WD but I have the 2WD version, the only way to tell if its a 4x4 is because it does'nt have the sticker.

Why a big truck?

Bumpy water logged rds.

kids in the back.

I need a truck for the back space (moving various bits and pieces which will not kit in a car)

Its practical and not a 4x4.

Ideal.

I don't know why Toyota etc don't offer the "big truck" look without 4WD like Izuzu and Chevy do. :o

I did a test drive in a Hilux Vigo 4WD and Chevrolet - i really threw them around down the highway (sales girl was bouncing side to side in the back seat!) - must say that the Vigo was a far more stable and responsive drive. Also, i found that the Chevy engine sounded like a truck engine, and i could hardly hear the Vigo's 3.0 diesel.

So, i ordered the Vigo 2 months ago, was told 3 weeks for delivery, experienced bad customer service, in which the sales girl wouldnt even call me back....and now i have been promised a delivery this coming friday.

If it doesn't arrive, i will lay a big brown cable on their nicely polished showroom floor.

They employ amateur supermodels who know very little about cars - i questioned one of them on why there were 15'' wheels on one 4WD yet the standard was 16'' - she couldn't understand where i had found the wheel size on the vehicle!!! :o

Edited by mr_lob

You guys are more than impressive. It is great to get such a diversity of opinion.

We have pretty much decided now on the Toyota, 3.0 Diesel, Manual, 4WD, probably 2 Door as we will rarely have passengers, particularly for long distance and children not planned in coming couple of years! Spoke with a guy who parked up behind us in Pattaya in above (except his was 4 door), he'd had 6 months and rated it greatly ... so took it as another sign and I'll try to forget the fuel costs.

Any ideas on way to strike the best deal? We'll probably go down the route of 25 percent deposit and balance over 24 months, any way to get a near zero deal on interest? Been told we get extras thrown in: rear liner etc. What exactly should these free extras include?

I would like to get reversing sensor as suggested, I'm fairly familiar with driving big trucks, but this is a first for my girlfriend and any useful assistance has to be good for her confidence, any makes or types which work best? Also the extra forward wing mirrors (for viewing down side of vehicle?), are these useful? Dark film for windows is something I'd prefer to go without, yet almost every vehicle seems to have it ... if they're not actually tinted. I have always disliked wearing dark sunglasses and for same reason don't like tinted windows, makes everything too depressing :-) ... they look cool, but I don't feel it ... anyone got vehicle without and what do you think? How about 'Carryboy' style cover for rear?

Any further ideas or experiences much appreciated, want to place order in next couple of days. I've been told could get 4WD in about 10 days, am I likely to wait longer once they have our 5,000 baht deposit?!

Patrick

I prefer the SUVs, I've got a Ford Escape at the moment, sits high so ok for the floods, handy 4x4 for most conditions, sturdy suspension for the dodgy roads, can carry 5 people and the shopping, car like driving characteristics, 3.0L V6 goes like the clappers if you want it to, got cruise control and a few other goodies that the trucks don't have, suits me fine, I'd like a BMW X5, but need to save my pennies a bit more.

I like the pick ups, but I'd never use the bed so seems a waste of half the truck.

By the way got a mate in Pattaya who waned a Vigo auto 4WD, 861,000 Baht cash purchase, he went to Toyota Pattaya. they told him wait 4 months, he gave me a call and we sorted him out in 3 days.

the extras usually offered dont amount to much , but you may be able to squeeze more out of them depending on how their sales figures are doing.

try for decent floor mats and rubber mats , liner , the deflectors over the side windows, a small stainless steel lock for the spare wheel which is slung under the bed and easy to steal , and tinted window film (not the blacked out stuff but the film made by "lumina" , it doesnt cut down on visibility but it will keep some sunlight (and therefore heat) out of the cabin , then the aircon doesnt have to work so hard. and check to see if your vehicle comes with a cd/mp3 or cassette player. it varies depending on model spec.

they sell you whatever they have in stock without necessarily consulting you first.

taxexile, I can see the benefits now but how often do you use four wheel drive? I figure for BKK it wouldn't see to much use plus if something breaks it's more expensive to fix than two wheel drive. And the mileage isn't as good. What you said regarding the weight ratio is true for trucks as well as vans...they're designed for hauling weight so without anything heavy in the back they can fish tail in certain conditions. My father-in-law has a 2001 Hilux Tiger and it seems pretty stable with or without anything heavy in the back. For an extra 30,000 baht, he got a steel cover to go over the bed. Without a liner, the elements would probably rust out the bed in no time; especially after hauling stuff and scratching the protective paint off.

I choose Toyota Vigo 4x4 for a  change to the many normal vehicules I drove (allows me to carry the motorbike to Phuket or Issaan) and drive in 4wheel drive on wet roads, increases stability and security a lot.

I have read previously in auto mags. that 4x4's should not be driven in 4 wheel drive on dry or wet surfaces, but only on snow or off road.

This is true for the majority of truck-style 4WD systems which are designed to be engaged temporarily. The problem is a locked (or missing) center differential between front and rear axels. When you turn, the front and rear track diffrerent diameter circles as well as the left and right obviously tracking different circles. Without slip between the axels, the 4WD actually forces the front or rear (more likely the unweighted rear tires) to skid to make up the difference from traveling different distances per rotation of the shared drive-shaft. If you hear a 4WD truck squeel or chirp-chirp-chirp around a corner, you know he's got the 4WD engaged and is busy chewing away his expensive tires and straining his suspension.

This effect also means you are forcing tires to skid when you turn on wet or dry (not the best idea!). It matters less on dirt or snow because you just push the surface material around with you. The locking of the axels is good for getting thrust when front or rear has lost traction off-road. The only reason 4WD gives any improvement in handling (braking and turning) on pavement is because it doesn't allow a wheel to change speed relative to the others when traction disappears on some or all wheels. This means the tire will more rapidly regain traction when it is past the slippery stuff, because it is already moving at almost the right speed when it starts to bite in again. It also gives you a primitive sort of anti-lock right up until all the wheel lock simultaneously.

On the other hand, a permanent all-wheel-drive system can give you the best of both worlds: a center differential allows the axels to spin at the correct speeds for turning, while some combination of viscous or limited-slip differentials and/or traction control programming on the brakes will keep wheels from spinning too much and losing all the torque-distribution to the wheel with the least traction. Passenger cars with true AWD systems handle phenomenally in almost all conditions, limited eventually by lack of clearance and snorkel. :o They certainly have a lower center of gravity and will drive circles around any truck as long as they haven't bottomed out or gotten swamped.

Yesterday I drove up to Chiang Mai in a friend's Toyota Hilux, 4 wheel drive. I wish I had taken my car as I was bloody uncomfortable, and didn't get a good sleep. Feel too high up and as if it could roll-over with sudden turns.

If you are travelling long distances a car is much better, if you can afford one.

This is true for the majority of truck-style 4WD systems which are designed to be engaged temporarily. The problem is a locked (or missing) center differential .......................etc.

interesting stuff autonomous unit , so much to learn !

i tend to use 4wd in the wet on highways and on muddy dirt roads.

i also use low ratio 4wd when coming down very steep inclines as i figure it will save the brakes.

Yesterday I drove up to Chiang Mai in a friend's Toyota Hilux, 4 wheel drive. I wish I had taken my car as I was bloody uncomfortable, and didn't get a good sleep. Feel too high up and as if it could roll-over with sudden turns.

If you are travelling long distances a car is much better, if you can afford one.

What do you mean?

Most decent family cars is cheaper than a 4wd truck. :o

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2005-09-26 15:37:13)

What do you mean?

Most decent family cars is cheaper than a 4wd truck. wink.gif

You can't even buy a Honda Civic for the price of the decent pick-up.

A decent car, like a BMW, even the cheapest 318 would be over 2 million.

I think there are many men who faced with a little 'civic' or a big cheap truck, due to financial reasons, would go for the truck. I wonder why? :o

Edited by Neeranam

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2005-09-26 15:37:13)

What do you mean?

Most decent family cars is cheaper than a 4wd truck. wink.gif

You can't even buy a Honda Civic for the price of the decent pick-up.

A decent car, like a BMW, even the cheapest 318 would be over 2 million.

I think there are many men who faced with a little 'civic' or a big cheap truck, due to financial reasons, would go for the truck. I wonder why? :o

I'd actually like a vios or the mazda 3, I need a truck so i did'nt have a choice.

I'm considering seeling my VW to make way for a small saloon.

I would'nt buy a BMW anyway, Small Chevy or toyota saloon is fine.

A fully loaded Vios is under 700000k.

Dark film for windows is something I'd prefer to go without, yet almost every vehicle seems to have it ... if they're not actually tinted. I have always disliked wearing dark sunglasses and for same reason don't like tinted windows, makes everything too depressing :-) ... they look cool, but I don't feel it ... anyone got vehicle without and what do you think?

My one experience of driving with tinted windows (a month's rental of a Suzuki Caribbean in Chiang Mai) has put me off the idea completely. Main reason was that after dark it was almost impossible to see the left-hand wing mirror clearly enough to check that I didn't have a motorbike coming up on the inside when I was taking a left corner - given that a high percentage didn't have their headlights working. Even on lit streets, I found I was having to drive with the passenger window wound down to give me a clear view - which makes nonsense of the aircon never mind privacy. Come to that, I didn't find that it made a significant difference to the interior temperature in the sun either..........

Could be that it was a bad choice of the Suzuki's owner and other tints are better in the night-vision respect - but I now have my doubts.

Comments from tint fans?

Small Chevy or toyota saloon is fine

I'm thinking of a new car - any idea how much the cheapest toyota is?

I was just lookin at the Honda thai web site

Jazz/city 513,000 to abouy 660,000

Civic 700,000 - 900,000

Accord 1,200,000- 1,600,000

http://www.honda.co.th/hct/english/index.asp

So a "standerd" sort of car is around the same price as a pick-up.

IMO,

Cars :- better handling and ride, better fuel economy, easier to drive around town

Pick-ups :- can carry "stuff"/people, versitile,slower, thirsyier, hold their value well.

Each to their own really, I'd probably go for a car if I was in town. I'm actually thinking about changing the Isuzu for one,as I have an other pick-up and my BiL has a new vigo. I used to have a toyota salona, much better on fuel than the pick-up even tough petrol is more expensive. As to which is safer....I dont know really, probably depends on the type of accident

Anyone have any thoughts about a smaller-than-average pick-up to recommend - so it would be as handy for in-town driving/parking as for out-of-town? Main attraction of a pick-up to me is the higher driving position. Basically, something like or not much bigger than a "jeep" size would suit me fine.

And not a Suzuki Caribbean - life's too short to wait for its acceleration! :o

One of the cheapest cars I've seen is the little Nissan NV. I think they run around 400k baht new. Also, the Toyota Vios can be had starting at 467k baht. Those prices are for manual transmission of course. Most of the Toyota cars seem to be about the same until you get up to the almighty Camry which runs over one million baht. The Nissan Sunny Neo is pretty nice but the interior is rather cramped for the price.

Cars :- better handling and ride, better fuel economy, easier to drive around town

Pick-ups :- can carry "stuff"/people, versitile,slower, thirsyier, hold their value well.

Another point is whether back seat comfort is important to you. I have been in the back seat of a DMax a few times and it is very uncomfortable - there is a bar of some sort under the rather thin cushion. I don't know if Toyota's are better in this regard, but I would recommend a test drive IN THE BACK if it is important to you. (I mean inside the cab, not the cargo area).

Another point is whether back seat comfort is important to you. I have been in the back seat of a DMax a few times and it is very uncomfortable - there is a bar of some sort under the rather thin cushion. I don't know if Toyota's are better in this regard, but I would recommend a test drive IN THE BACK if it is important to you. (I mean inside the cab, not the cargo area).

Back seat comfert is'nt that imoortant to me and I've got a 4 door pick-up...the back is great in them...the "cab" ones are a bit cramped.