Which Pickup Truck Would You Buy........ And Why ?

Chanchao, like I said, Sportrider weighs nearly two tonnes - half a tonne more than a regular pickup, hence lower fuel economy. Compare it to Fortuner or Ford Everest, not to pickups.

Zafira is to be discontinued - end of another line for GM. Perhaps they can rebrand Daihatsu Mira next.

Vauxhall have just introduced a new Zafira here in the UK.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes John, the showroom is on the leftside off sukhumvit towards pattaya nua from pattaya klang.

Checkout the Triton, A thai rental guy I know showed me his new one, leather, sat nav, electric seats and electric back window. very very nice. :o

I went yesterday and looked at the Chevy and the Isuzu 4wd Auto's. I preferred the Chevy as it has the stronger chassis but everyone is advising me against it as it will not have the resale value of the Isuzu. I was very surprised that Isuzu clase the A/C as an optional extra!

But both Very nice motors.

The Triton ? ? do you mean the new Mitsubishi ??

Seeing as they're the same vehicle, I would be very surprised to find that one has a stronger chassis than the other. You could check out the factory at Eastern Seaboard I suppose and find out if there really is a difference.

After 2 months of researching, my wife and I ordered our new pickup on Saturday!

We decided to go with the brand new Prerunner - Toyota Hilux Vigo. We got a chance to see it at the auto show, and it is a beauty. Looks and feels like a 4x4, but without all the extra weight. Seeing those healthy 265 tires instead of the normal 4x2 215's made me quite happy.

For those who were interested, its:

Double Cab - Blue Metallic

3.0 engine.

Price: 738,000

ABS, cd/mp3 +all the extras (rustproof, paint protection, (plus annual touch ups for 5 years, 2 sets of floor mats, licence holder, spare tire lock, gear shift lock, side window guards, alarm system, free labor for 3 years at the dealer, %15 off parts for 5 years, mirror lights, bedliner,etc...)

We ordered it from one of the Thonburi Toyota dealers, and I can't say enough about them (so far). They treated us incredibly well, giving us a ton of extras (inluding everything I asked for, they would not say No!, lol). English owners manuel? no problem. The salesman even called us on Sunday, to apologize! He told us that the bank would call to discuss the loan payment, but they were unable to do so until next Tuesday. It was his day off, but he still took time out to help us!

After ordering the car, we decided to head over to the auto show. It was about what I expected. I was glad for a chance to sit in the Prerunner, kick the tires, etc. Lots of pretty girls, and ugly farangs, again, what I expected. We ordered a Grand Carryboy sportslid, for the truck. Got a decent deal on it, (26k) and I am happy overall. (My wife picked the truck color, and the lid, I got to pick the model)

We have to go in next week to pay 30k baht "earnest" money (counts as part of the down payment), to make sure we really want the blue color. They don't get many orders, and want to make sure we won't back out, I suppose.

Here are some links. I am pretty excited. Should get the truck early next month.

Here is the sportslid, (pictured on a Vigo)

http://www.carryboy.com/fiber_gsr.php

And here is my new toy.

http://www.e-toyotaclub.com/th/AutoLineup/...sp?carcode=IMV5

I have to say, being married to my chinese/thai wife, who is also her companies' CFO, helped out tremendously. She knows all of the ins and outs, and together, we made a killer team. The dealer never stood a chance.

Peace

The new Mitsubishi Triton is supposed to be a great truck. The 2.5 non-turbo version supposedly gets better mileage than the popular Izuzu D-Max. Some models sell for just 550,000 baht; right around the same price for a basic Vigo. The look is a bit funny though!

Some complain about the Vigo's long stick shift in the manual models but personally I prefer that over some of the short sticks found in other trucks. In some trucks you have to reach down pretty far to move the stick which breaks your concentration. I have one of the old "poles" in my Toyota and it's great; allows easy control and you don't have to hunt around when shifting gears.

Some complain about the Vigo's long stick shift in the manual models but personally I prefer that over some of the short sticks found in other trucks. In some trucks you have to reach down pretty far to move the stick which breaks your concentration. I have one of the old "poles" in my Toyota and it's great; allows easy control and you don't have to hunt around when shifting gears.

Yes it does look a bit funny that great long gearstick.

Not too long ago, word got out that in the Toyota trucks the turbo charger needs to be replaced after 200,000km. Given what the turbo charger goes through I'm not surprised it would need replacing after that many km. However, the Toyota dealer my father-in-law bought his Hilux Tiger at didn't tell him this. I'm not sure how long turbo chargers should last but in our old Mitsubishi Cyclone (with over 500,000km on it) the original turbo charger is still in there and still working just fine. Did the Toyota dealer you ordered the Vigo from mention anything about this issue?

My local dealer did not mention about the turbo charger. However, i'm surprised they would last that long if you live anywhere where the roads are a little more dust. On my last trip had my vigo cleaned at the local supermarket while i was shopping they steam cleaned under the hood. You would not believe the road dust that builds up underneath just after a few days. If the turbo is sucking that up all day long its no surprise they need replacing. I do not use my pickup that much just for holidays so it would take me a good few years to run up 200,000 kms but for the people resident in Thailand outside of the citys it could be an issue i guess if they do some heavy mileage.

The magic word is gasohol.Or how it´s named in Europe LPG.It´s possible to retool any Otto engine.

No it isn't and not it's not LPG either!

Otto and the 4 stroke cycle Suck, Squeeze,Bang, Blow - when I was a young apprentice pray tell me which SI or CI engine can not be retooled to run on either of the two fuels (gasahol - LPG) mentioned never too old to learn eye say.

There has been a lot of discussion on the best type of pickup all very good but no matter which one you decide upon it will only be a good as the maintainer. good clean fuel, good clean air, good clean oil. This all relates to regular sevicing and the quality of the products you use PM is worth its weight in less unsceduled DT.

There have also been some questions on the "common rail system" there are three main DFIS manufacturers here us the system by sytem step until now + 2 of the Mfrs Claims - disclaimer not interested dont read.

DENSO_has_been_producing_diesel_engine_management_systems_since_1957_and_is_among_the_top_three_producers_of_diesel_fuel_injection_systems_in_the_world.doc

Edited by mijan24

The magic word is gasohol.Or how it´s named in Europe LPG.It´s possible to retool any Otto engine.

Otto and the 4 stroke cycle Suck, Squeeze,Bang, Blow - when I was a young apprentice pray tell me which SI or CI engine can not be retooled to run on either of the two fuels (gasahol - LPG) mentioned never too old to learn eye say.

What do you mean by S1 and C1?

Wilko SI & CI [Otto and the 4 stroke cycle Suck, Squeeze,Bang, Blow - when I was a young apprentice pray tell me which SI or CI engine can not be retooled to run on either of the two fuels (gasahol - LPG) mentioned never too old to learn eye say.]

SI = Spark Ignition = Petrol Engines

CI = Compression Ignition = Diesel Engines

Sorry about the abbreviations.

> "Looks and feels like a 4x4, but without all the extra weight."

LOL.. Okay, I can totally see people not needing 4 wheel drive, but why would you then want it to look like one? :o

> I have one of the old "poles" in my Toyota and it's great; allows easy

> control and you don't have to hunt around when shifting gears.

I guess.. never looked at it that way. Still I would feel an incredible urge to go knit a little cloth cover thingy to tie to the knob. (Like drivers of big bad 'ordinary' buses do :D

> I'm not sure how long turbo chargers should last but in our old Mitsubishi

> Cyclone (with over 500,000km on it) the original turbo charger is still in

> there

The old Cyclone had a turbo as standard?? If yours has one, are you sure that wasn't fitted afterwards? Anyway, at 200K I wouldn't mind replacing certain parts.. It's quite a lot; by that time chances are you will have replaced bits on the clutch as well.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Myself, I like the truck to look like a truck (my male ego at work, I suppose), and I like having the heavier suspension that the Prerunner comes with, so that I won't be riding on the wheels when I put a load of gravel in the bed. But I can't recall a single time in my entire history of driving where I've needed 4 wheel drive. I don't go offroading, and I live in a Bangkok suburb. I know some people do, but I'm not one of them. I also like being higher off the ground then the regular Vigo, so I can make my way through some of the flooded sois during the rainy season.

That being said, its good to know that there are so many of you 4x4 owners out there, in case I get stuck, and need you to pull me out!

As for Jing Jing - when I read my post again, I found it funny too! lol :o Thanks for being there to pee on my rainbow dude!

Peace

The Toyota sales staff at our local Ubon office did offer a very good deal on my Vigo. I managed to get 30,000 baht of extras thrown in on the deal including plastic rear bed cover, tinted glass laminates, front bumper gaurd, mats, roll bars, etc...

Not bad I thought really given how little I have been able to get from my local dealer in UK in the past.

I cannot speak for the other Toyota dealerships around Thailand but as far as Ubon is concerned I actually felt like I had done a good deal rather than getting screwed usually.

The girls were very helpful and after I returned to UK to carry on working they visited my home in Ubon to change my plates over from red to white and also popped in a couple of times when passing to speak with my family to say hello. Could you see someone in England giving a rats ass about you after you had brought a car from them. No way!! Overall I was quiet impressed with the service and attitude of the sales team.

Jay

Wilko SI & CI [Otto and the 4 stroke cycle Suck, Squeeze,Bang, Blow - when I was a young apprentice pray tell me which SI or CI engine can not be retooled to run on either of the two fuels (gasahol - LPG) mentioned never too old to learn eye say.]

SI = Spark Ignition = Petrol Engines

CI = Compression Ignition = Diesel Engines

Sorry about the abbreviations.

Ah - OK...only petrol engines will run on Liuquid petroleum

gas or Gasohol - petrol with alkohol made from vegetation such as sugar added to about 5/10%.

There are bio diesels too but all these are a bit of a furphy as growing crops for fuel takes up acres and acres of farming land.

I've heard good things about the new Mitsubishi Triton. It's supposed to be a decent truck with some things the Strada doesn't have (such as comfort!). Also, if the Triton is as reliable as the older models then it would be a truck you could keep for many years.

Yesterday I drove up to Chiang Mai in a friend's Toyota Hilux, 4 wheel drive. I wish I had taken my car as I was bloody uncomfortable, and didn't get a good sleep. Feel too high up and as if it could roll-over with sudden turns.

If you are travelling long distances a car is much better, if you can afford one.

What do you mean?

Most decent family cars is cheaper than a 4wd truck. :o

Come on dave,

The altis 1.6 is more expensive then the trucks.

Barry

They cost about the same. The cheapest bare-bones trucks start cheaper, but the most popular models for both vehicle types are priced very similarly.

For me, given that this is so, it's a total no-brainer on which to get. :-) You just get so much more vehicle for your money with a truck in Thailand.

I mean, seriously, last Friday I read some review (BKK Post) on a Honda Civic costing over a million baht. Like, erm, 'right' !

Cheers,

Chanchao

Yesterday I drove up to Chiang Mai in a friend's Toyota Hilux, 4 wheel drive. I wish I had taken my car as I was bloody uncomfortable, and didn't get a good sleep. Feel too high up and as if it could roll-over with sudden turns.

If you are travelling long distances a car is much better, if you can afford one.

What do you mean?

Most decent family cars is cheaper than a 4wd truck. :o

Come on dave,

The altis 1.6 is more expensive then the trucks.

Barry

I would'nt know how much one was. a saloon is no use to me here. :D

I don't think that's true. We have Altis 1.8 and it was 850k. 1.6 engines are a lot cheaper.

New Civic a tad over the mil? It's all relative, of course, but new 2L Civic would kick any pickup's ass in any department, except 4wd.

Image184.jpg

Basic Civics cost on par with 4door trucks.