Which Pickup Truck Would You Buy........ And Why ?

The interior of the Vigo is comfortable and pretty roomy. Even the cab area on the two door model isn't too bad. It's about the same as its older brother the Hilux Tiger. There is good head room in there as well. I sat inside both the two door and four door Mitsubishi Stradas and found them to be a bit cramped. I'm under 6ft yet my head was nearly touching the ceiling. The cab of course was pretty cramped. Loved the prices though; the two door one was 505K and the four door one was around 535K. If only the cars were that cheap!

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see why people would have a lickup truck upcountry - that higher clearance is on rougher roads and 4wd drive would be good in the rainy season if you live somewhere without a tarred drive.

However around town, I wouldn't have one - narrow streets - even Issan villages have really narrow concrete roads. Shopping mall car parks would do my head in - also U-turns.

I deliberated for ages and ended up buying the top of the range Vios - I love it. If I did have one regret was the 60% tinted windows - at nights it's good to have the window open and in shopping mall car parks too - but most other motorists in LOS don't seem to bother. But you do get to look all gangsta during the day.

But, I live in Phitsanulok and to be completely honest the most handy thing would be a bike - you don't have to worry about anyone scratching it. You can drive it when you're pissed and not endanger any other lives (I'm currently walking to bars!), it's not a problem parking at markets - and you never get stuck in traffic jams - which are a surprisingly frequent ocurrence in Pi'lok.

The bike is definitely the carefree way to travel around LOS - if you don't mind the risk of massive personal injury/death!

You can drive a bike while pissed and not endanger anyone?? Are you talking bicycles here, or motorcycles?

My wife has a terrible scar on her thigh where a motorcycle brake handle ripped her off her bicycle when she was a youngster in LOS. Another foot to the left and she'd probably have been killed by all the extra energy of a direct hit... as it was, she narrowly missed crushing her head in a concrete culvert as she spun through the air. :o

I've also seen some awful bicycle+pedestrian accidents in the US with serious head and neck injuries. I guess drunk, in the heat, and without any hills you might not get going fast enough here... but still not a risk I'd want to take. Walking or taxis for me after drinking.

We have a 2001 Ford Ranger 4 door 4x4 with 115,000 km on the clock. It is comfortable , certainly more so than the Toyota Corrola which I have been a passenger in for x000s of km.

It came with Michelin tyres and they still have another 10,000 or so km to go except for the front offside which was replaced due to a steering joint that went faulty and was replaced under warranty. The spare was replaced as the original was stolen (no lock but I have one now). Just as a matter of interest when you order a spare wheel that is what you get, no tyre just a spare wheel.

If we have enough money my wife wants to replace it with a Ford Everest or something similar and keep the pickup for another few years.

This was the first new vehicle I have ever bought (ignore company cars) and even though my nearest service agent is 125 km away in Nakhon Sawan I would probably buy another Ford.

My biggest problem has been the remote locking car alarm system NOT made by Fords as it has a 1 year warranty and we are on the 3rd one so far. they seem to have a life of 15 to 18 months before they die and the dealer says "Sorry it is out of warranty and you need a new one".

Would I buy another Ford 4 door 4x4? Yes unless 'er indoors Really wants an Everest.

:o:D:D

Auto is only available as 4WD petrol, I have been told. Probably going for manual, not sure if I need performance of 3.0 litre,

hilux vigo auto 4WD is available in 3.0L diesel . dont know why the dealer told you otherwise.

i bought one a few months ago and would certainly recommend it.

quick , rides well for a pick up , powerful cd/mp3 player as standard , about 10-11 ish kms/litre.

good looking in black or silver. very good customer service so far. no problems yet after 15000kms

(except one dashboard air vent that wont close completely.)

fitting reversing sensors to the rear bumper (independantly fitted 3500b) will make life a lot easier.

it drives and rides much better than the equivalent isuzu.

Can you give me any info on fitting reversing sensors?

Do they just drill the holes into the rear bumper?

Is the wiring for them already in place?

Are they original toyota parts?

Many thanks,

Bung

I went and looked at new 4 door 4x4 auto 861,000 bht vigo the other day and was nearly died when he ofered 400,000 :o bht for my 1 1/2 year old auto sports cruizer that is still like new with 40,000km on the clock pay 756,000 bht for it. so guess I will not be getting a new one for aleast a few more years. Funny thing is the same model 2 years older than mine are still going for 500,000bht in bangkok

post-7859-1129065476_thumb.jpgIf I´d have a dream about owning a gabba I´d like to have this one .

8.3 liter V10 engine that produces a mighty 500 horsepower at 5,600 RPM with 525 pounds-feet of torque at 4,200 RPM .

DODGE RAM 1500 SRT10 QUAD CAB 4X2.

Just the sound might warn others to drive carefully and as it´s really a massive beast it might get some respect from Thai traffic members.

If it comes to trucks, yes I´m a Dodge fan.

Edited by MikeRay

Both Isuzu and Chevrolet Colorado are Japanese designs, GM just owns the brands. People buy Chevies mainly for the looks as they are no different from Isuzu in any other way.

About the looks - when I first saw Toyota Vigo I wasn't impressed and thought it was ugly (in 2wd form) but now, a year later, Vigo has become as common as Dmax, and I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

4WD Vigos were killers from the start and they look just awesome.

I guess the same will be with the new Mitsubishi - it's too radical for now, but it will grow on you in a few months.

If it was for me, I wouldn't buy five year old models from Isuzu/Chevrolet when there are brand new Toyota and Mitsu, and Ford/Mazda are coming out soon, and new Nissan.

But again, I wouldn't buy a five year old mobile phone while some people wouldn't mind at all. It's entirely people's choice. Technologically, Isuzu is still 20th century.

Plus+ do you have access to photos of the Vigo 2wd & 4wd would like to compare side by side.

Mazda and Ford are the same and pretty much old hat now - new model soon maybe?

Mitsubishi are the latest to bring out a new model....top of the range is a 3.2 diesel that purports to be the most powerful in Thailand. I quite like the looks, the curving back of the cab takes some getting used to it reminds me of an 18th century carriage!

Chevy and Isuzu are the same but seem a little dear.

The Toyota Vigo is totally Thai built (few if any imported parts) this keeps the cost down and seems to represent the best value for money. They have softer suspension to make the ride more car-like. So think twice if you are going to be continuously loading it to the max.

All-in-all I would say that you have 2 cars that stick out as best - the Mitsubishi and the Toyota.

You might want to look at re-sale value - second hand vehicles are very expensive in Thailand, the Vigo (and all Toyota's range) is very popular and should hold its value really well.

Edited by wilko

The point about resale value is a good one; the Mitsi looks great, but Mitsi has such a poor reputation in Thailand for service, that 2nd hand prices are not so good... therefore good for buying second hand but not so good for buying new.

I gotz the Vigo 2WD 2 door; nice machine; I replaced a brand new BMW and brand new Honda before the Vigo; would never go back to a car again in BKK; it is great to be a fraction above the road, and feel like a worker (not some ponsy ponser). Love the fact that it rubs all my customers right up the wrong way, the BMW/Benz crowd :-) Pretentious people that they are.

The Isuzu/GM is definitely a generation back now; not as nice looking, not as stylee, just not as good as the newer Vigo and Mitsi.

For what it is worth, you can make the 2WD (which is a little lower and so looks a bit nicer IMHO) look like a 4WD with big wheels...however it tends to bottom out a bit from time to time and rub up against the rims.... since it was so cheap :o I can tolerate.

And everyone from overseas who rides in it thinks it is great; much more popular with my guests than the poofty Bemmer.

My first vehicle in Thailand was a Suzuki Caribbean. It had a long turning radius and rode VERY harsh. I have to say that it was a sturdy little beast so no real complaints. My second one was a Nissan NV. I loved that little pickup/car. I sold it when I returned to the states. When I moved back to Thailand I bought a second hand Toyota pickup. It was one of the rare petrol engines. It was fine except it was a little hard on petrol and I was driving up country a lot. A friend of mine was in love with the Toyota pickup so I finally sold it to him. I looked and test drove the big three. There are many more Toyotas in Bangkok and Pattaya than any other brand but that is not the case in Issan. Isuzu is number one followed by Nissan. Nissan is supposed to be the best as far as fuel mileage. I ended up with the Nissan and after a year I am quite happy with it. I had 20 fifty kilo bags of cement in the back and it handled the load very well. A friend of mine has a four wheel drive Toyota and he followed me up here. When we stopped for fuel he got 9 kilometers per liter and I got over 13. In the hills he could not keep up with me even though I was taking it pretty slowly. My Nissan is a 3 liter as was the Toyota. Neither of them has a turbo. Another friend of mine has a Toyota and the turbo went bad right after the warranty expired. It was an EXPENSIVE repair. That put me off Turbos. I was told by the Toyota dealer that the the new intercooled turbos are now much better but I decided against the turbo.

I think if you check the tax structure for vehicles in Thailand you will discover why pickup trucks are a bargain. The Nissan NV is probably the best bargain as far as price and comfort. It drives like a car and is priced like a truck. I was going to buy a new one but talked myself out of it because it has a petrol engine.

Attached ImageIf I´d have a dream about owning a gabba I´d like to have this one .

8.3 liter V10 engine that produces a mighty 500 horsepower at 5,600 RPM with 525 pounds-feet of torque at 4,200 RPM .

Just the sound might warn others to drive carefully and as it´s really a massive beast it might get some respect from Thai traffic members.

It's this attitude that makes we want to vomit. :D

F'ing selfish, making the roads a dangerous place. :o

Trying to outsize each other, you macho pricks with little dicks. :D

If I saw that truck on the road, I think what a <deleted>.

If you want to scare people into being careful when they drive, buy a bloody bus.

It might get some respect - my arse.

If you chose the Toyota Tiger, under no circumstances should you allow your dog to do the driving... they're lousy at it:

Dog Guilty Of Reckless Driving thread

:o

not sure how they do in other makes/models... their performance hasn't been documented as yet....  :D

If you buy secondhand Tiger, don't go back too far, the non-turbo, and non-commonrail are thirsty and lack power.

The early turbo Mitsubishi are a waste of time too; not much quicker than a naturally aspirated one, which is also pretty slow...

Having said that, turbos on diesels are a very useful addition, especially with an intercooler, and in general quite reliable, but check service records.......

Another thing to look out for in 4WDs is the limited slip diff. If this does not have it's oil changed regularly it will cease to function.

post-7859-1129065476_thumb.jpgIf I´d have a dream about owning a gabba I´d like to have  this one .

I want one too :o

F'ing selfish, making the roads a dangerous place. :D

If you want to scare people into being careful when they drive, buy a bloody bus.

First , I´m very sorry for your bad stomach.

What is selfish about driving the car that I want and if it comes to resources,I´m paying for the gasoline and so I can burn it.It´s time to look for alternatives anyways.Like the Lexus RX400 H.

I´m owning and driving what I want and don´t give a f... on your opinion.

Go on get a Mira :o

What is selfish about driving the car that I want and if it comes to resources,I´m paying for the gasoline and so I can burn it.It´s time to look for alternatives anyways.Like the Lexus RX400 H.

I am a fan of most forms of motor vehicle (even big trucks) but I'm very surprised that you can't see what is selfish about owning giant gas-guzzlers...

Edited by wilko

I don't want to be the spoil-sport in this discussion but I believe I would look into the 'Safety' aspects of the vehicles you have in mind.

Looking at several vehicles, trucks and cars, that have been involved in accidents - Safety would be the first thing I would look at. Thailand does not build trucks or cars with 'safety' in mind! The vehicles I have seen have been 'crushed'! Most developed countries have laws regarding built in safety of vehicles. As fas as I know, which isn't much, Thailand does not consider safety!

Just my two cents worth. Hope knowone is offended!

I am a fan of most forms of motor vehicle (even big trucks) but I'm very surprised that you can't see what is selfish about owning giant gas-guzzlers...

**** it the gas is cheap enough for massive loud V8's and big Harley's. :o

If you buy secondhand Tiger, don't go back too far, the non-turbo, and non-commonrail are thirsty and lack power.

Can someone tell me what the "commonrail" feature is? I've seen this on trucks from many manufacturers... but don't have a clue what it actually refers to.

F'ing selfish, making the roads a dangerous place. :D

Go on get a Mira :o

now, now... no need to get so testy..

but I'm curious... why waste your time with that tiny, puny, under-powered Ram truck??

Just think of all the "respect" you'd command from driving this "real man's" truck around Thailand:

MNHBtruck.jpg

Goodness knows, people would be stopping their vehicles and getting out of them and to bow down to you.