Which Pickup Truck Would You Buy........ And Why ?

I don't want to be the spoil-sport in this discussion but I believe I would look into the 'Safety' aspects of the vehicles you have in mind.

A very good point, and one I've droned on about before...people are under the misconception that because they are in a high, heavy or large vehicle they are safer. In an accident, they frequently inflict more damage on the occupants than an ordinary sedan/saloon car, let alone what they do to those in the other car or pedestrians....

I´m waiting for a Jaguar V12 SUV.I´m sure there would be a market

I wouldn't hold your breath...

Edited by wilko

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you buy secondhand Tiger, don't go back too far, the non-turbo, and non-commonrail are thirsty and lack power.

Can someone tell me what the "commonrail" feature is? I've seen this on trucks from many manufacturers... but don't have a clue what it actually refers to.

It's a system for injecting diesel into the engine - basicly the diesel is put into a "tube" alongside the cylinder head under pressure and is squirted into the cylinders through solenoids directly from there. This gets better burning of fuel and is meant to be less noisy too.

The older systems have a low-pressure fuel pump feeding pump-nozzles to squirt in the fuel or high-pressure fuel line to mechanical valves. Individual lines and lots of noise and rattles.

now, now... no need to get so testy..

but I'm curious... why waste your time with that tiny, puny, under-powered Ram truck??

Just think of all the "respect" you'd command from driving this "real man's" truck around Thailand:

Goodness knows, people would be stopping their vehicles and getting out of them and to bow down to you.

Ha ha.

I need one of those things as I go shopping once a week.

I was in the PO car park the other day and these large things take up all the room.

Bye dear, i'm going to buy a stamp - I'll take the pick-up.

Why do pick-up driver like to go right up your arse?

It's not the old ones but those new toyotas usually. very very dangerous drivers, i wonder how many accidents have been caused by these guys. I have a lot more acceleration than these guys(in my mazda) and they hate being overtaken off the mark.

Bad drivers buy pick-ups.

If you buy secondhand Tiger, don't go back too far, the non-turbo, and non-commonrail are thirsty and lack power.

Can someone tell me what the "commonrail" feature is? I've seen this on trucks from many manufacturers... but don't have a clue what it actually refers to.

It's a system for injecting diesel into the engine - basicly the diesel is put into a "tube" alongside the cylinder head under pressure and is squirted into the cylinders through solenoids directly from there. This gets better burning of fuel and is meant to be less noisy too.

The older systems have a low-pressure fuel pump feeding pump-nozzles to squirt in the fuel or high-pressure fuel line to mechanical valves. Individual lines and lots of noise and rattles.

And now I know. Much obliged, Wilko! :o

Yesterday I was talking to a friend who just drove from Pattaya up to Loei province. He rented a four wheel drive Toyota. It is a three liter turbo four door with an automatic transmission. He does have a heavy foot. I was surprised to hear him say the the fuel mileage was good. He got 7.66 kilometers per liter. My three liter non turbo Nissan averages thirteen kilometers per liter but it is not a four wheel drive nor is it an automatic. I normally drive around a hundred KPH.

**** it the gas is cheap enough for massive loud V8's and big Harley's. :o

Affording the gas has absolutlely nothing to do with the problem. I'm surprised you seem to have missed the point completely.

Your talking about the fumes etc and damage to the air?

Too be really honest it does'nt bother me. :D

Some interesting fuel consumption claims. Newish pickups are as economical as cars. And I'd like to see which car can get 13km per litre, like the Nissan above. I drive Sportrider, it weighs nearly 2 tonnes, and I get 10km per litre in Bangkok. Not bad for the size.

Actually I was thinking of driving something smaller because this year I cover 100km per day, but couldn't think of anything worth changing a Sportrider for. Jazz iDSI gets a good fuel economy in the city, but I drive a lot on expressways, Civics are great for expressways, but they cost nearly as much as Sportrider, and so on.

Safety - a week ago I saw totally smashed Fortuner - half the engine compartment was gone, yet the interior didn't suffer at all, nor driver's, nor passenger's area had any visible damage, like protruding pedals.

I don't know what it hit, but if I had a choice, I'd rather be inside the Fortuner anytime.

Parking - with pickups getting half the market, all shopping malls design their parking lots with pickups in mind. The only exception I know is Chinatown. I never had a parking problem myself. Not an issue, imo.

Acceleration - I'd love to see Mazda speeding away from Vigo that has double amount of torque - 343 against 177 Nm, also diesels have a flat torque curve - max starts from about 2000rpm. Mazda's only chance is at over 100km/h range when diesel's low revolutions and gearing can't keep up.

The most aggressive drivers in my experience are Isuzus, and the new 3.0l itec trucks have a great acceleration up to 150 km/h. Never seen Vigos driving that fast yet.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone heard anything regarding the new Prerunner model, of the Toyota Hilux Vigo? I am in the market, and this model looks like one I could be seriously interested in. If anyone has any thoughts or comments about it, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

Edited by jbowman1993

Hi All

Here a photo of my Toyota Vigo. It's very comfortable to drive and there is no lag from the engine since the introduction of the commonrail diesel injection system. Surprisingly powerful for a diesel overall. The only drawback is the 4 wheeldrive system which pulls a little on the steering when on full lock and mines a manual so it makes your left leg hurt after a while in heavey trafic. However, get it out of the town and its a lot of fun.

Since buying it last April'05 I haven't had much chance to use it. My son's health and work committments have had me spending most my time in the UK. Its garaged and locked up from the in-laws for the time being.

Jay

Staffs. UK

Hi Everyone,

My dad and I have always used Isuzu pick up trucks. My first one was the SPARK EX, 250,000 KM never had a problem! Just make sure every 5,000Km go service. My dad now uses the DMAX Hilander, and he is very happy. He says its fast and economic in fuel basis. He told me with 1 fuel tank he made it to Chiangmai!!! Recently, I sold my Dmax and Im getting my Toyota Fortuner! I went to see the MU7 Isuzu but its ugly.

When you want to sell your Isuzu, you still get a good deal!!!!

I've got a Z71 3.0L Chevrolet Colorado 4 door.

Very very happy with it :o

Dave

Did you get it in Pattaya ? Where is the dealer.

Cheers

John

Yes John, the showroom is on the leftside off sukhumvit towards pattaya nua from pattaya klang.

Checkout the Triton, A thai rental guy I know showed me his new one, leather, sat nav, electric seats and electric back window. very very nice. :D

I've got a Z71 3.0L Chevrolet Colorado 4 door.

Very very happy with it :o

Dave

Did you get it in Pattaya ? Where is the dealer.

Cheers

John

Yes John, the showroom is on the leftside off sukhumvit towards pattaya nua from pattaya klang.

Checkout the Triton, A thai rental guy I know showed me his new one, leather, sat nav, electric seats and electric back window. very very nice. :D

Funnily enough I noticed it last night on the way home. I intend to pop in tomorrow. I had a Chevy Silverado when I was in The States and loved it.

The wife tells me Isuzu are doing a promotion in Big C at the moment so I'll have a look at that as well

The advent of Toyota Prerunner has been announced in a one paragraph story in the Nation. It should be in showrooms by now but I haven't seen one on the roads yet. I personally think that Prerunner will be Toyota's best answer to Isuzu. Next should be 2wd Fortuner.

Checkout the Triton, A thai rental guy I know showed me his new one, leather, sat nav, electric seats and electric back window. very very nice. :o

I went yesterday and looked at the Chevy and the Isuzu 4wd Auto's. I preferred the Chevy as it has the stronger chassis but everyone is advising me against it as it will not have the resale value of the Isuzu. I was very surprised that Isuzu clase the A/C as an optional extra!

But both Very nice motors.

The Triton ? ? do you mean the new Mitsubishi ??

I went yesterday and looked at the Chevy and the Isuzu 4wd Auto's. I preferred the Chevy as it has the stronger chassis but everyone is advising me against it as it will not have the resale value of the Isuzu. I was very surprised that Isuzu clase the A/C as an optional extra!

But both Very nice motors.

The Triton ? ? do you mean the new Mitsubishi ??

The Chevy and the Isuzu are the same vehicle, only differance is a slightly differant front end. Both built in the same factory. :o

Triton is supposed to be more comfortable and car like to drive, looks good from the front, but side and rear profile looks odd imho

> Some interesting fuel consumption claims. Newish pickups are as economical as

> cars. And I'd like to see which car can get 13km per litre, like the Nissan above.

> I drive Sportrider, it weighs nearly 2 tonnes, and I get 10km per litre in

> Bangkok. Not bad for the size.

ho..!! I would have thought it to be much better with the modern D4D Diesel engine? Or did you get the petrol version, and if so, WHY!!!!? :-)

I get 10/11 km per liter on a Ford 4-door/4WD pick-up which I think is terrible, especially compared to the 13-15 km per liter on an Isuzu 4WD.

----

> I went yesterday and looked at the Chevy and the Isuzu 4wd Auto's.

> I preferred the Chevy as it has the stronger chassis

Helllooooo!! These are the exact same cars, made in the same factory by the same people on the same frame with the same engine!! Only the name badges and the grille/lights are different!

> GM once boasted that they've got 300 differences with Isuzu -

> counting all the badges, labels, and so on.

Funny people there at GM sales. Then again, they have experience pulling 'The Incredbile Invasion of the Body Snatchers' moves. Leached the Zafira from Opel, the Optra from Daewoo, the pick-up from Isuzu.. I don't mind them doing this of course, but why the need for these 'branding' shenanigans.. I actually like the design of the pick-up.. But selling a rebadged Daewoo at near Toyota/Honda prices, well.

Also.. did everyone already forget the Opel-Thailand fiasco..? They just shouldn't get the benefit of the doubt that easily, especially not when asking premium prices.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Helllooooo!! These are the exact same cars, made in the same factory by the same people on the same frame with the same engine!! Only the name badges and the grille/lights are different!

You are not the first person who has told me that I am wrong here but I am only telling you what the salesperson told me. And I know that in other countries the Chevy's rank very highly for impact safety so it kinda made sense to me.

You are not the first person who has told me that I am wrong here but I am only telling you what the salesperson told me. And I know that in other countries the Chevy's rank very highly for impact safety so it kinda made sense to me.

After i ordered mine they called me and asked if i wanted to go for the newer version for 50000bht more. i did after and the 50000bht is for improved body and chassis strength and a 6 cd in dash player :o

Chanchao, like I said, Sportrider weighs nearly two tonnes - half a tonne more than a regular pickup, hence lower fuel economy. Compare it to Fortuner or Ford Everest, not to pickups.

Zafira is to be discontinued - end of another line for GM. Perhaps they can rebrand Daihatsu Mira next.

After i ordered mine they called me and asked if i wanted to go for the newer version for 50000bht more. i did after and the 50000bht is for improved body and chassis strength and a 6 cd in dash player :o

So who is right then ? Is the Chevy the better truck ?

They are virtually the same price.

Many say that the D-Max tends to get a bit shaky/noisy after 100,000km. Given that the Colorado is basically the same truck, perhaps this is true for that one as well. The Ford Ranger seems ok but I find the cab in the older Hilux Tiger to be more comfortable. One of the cheapest pickups is the Strada...just a tad over 500,000 baht for the "Mega cab" version, manual gearbox, basic interior, etc. However, the truck is a bit cramped. I like the Vigo for the interior space but some complain about certain components being made to a lesser standard than the previous Hilux Tiger. One thing about the Mitsubishi trucks is that they sure last a long time. My father-in-law has a Mitsubishi Cyclone (the generation before Strada) which is 14+ years old and has over 500,000km on it. The truck still starts and runs fine everytime.

> So who is right then ? Is the Chevy the better truck ?

> They are virtually the same price.

Virtually the same price, and factually and technically the same vehicle. You could easily buy one and have it serviced for all parts at the other brand's dealer. Same with the current (ageing) Ford & Mazda offering: Completely the same. I have my Ford serviced at the Mazda dealer. (Cheaper, more convenient. :o

The only thing MIGHT be that you will get better trade-in value on the Isuzu.. But then again you'd think locals would also be clued-in enough to recognize it's the same vehicle.. Still... No safer vehicle value-wise than Isuzu.. :D

> Many say that the D-Max tends to get a bit shaky/noisy after

> 100,000km.

What.. it just gets warmed up and run in after 100K. :D But Isuzu's have always been noisy beasts, yes. Every so slightly this is improving, and I have to admit I haven't listened to the very latest engine that now sits in the updated D-Max (and Chevrolet Colorado, of course)

> The Ford Ranger seems ok but I find the cab in the older

> Hilux Tiger to be more comfortable.

Ford Range / Mazda Fighter is pretty ancient by now. Especially the turbo-diesel engine which, while quiet and high-powered at high revs, has not very good fuel economy and disgraceful low-end torque. :-)

> One of the cheapest pickups is the Strada...

Been replaced by the new Triton model.. If they have some of the old clunkers around you bet they'd be selling them cheap!

> However, the truck is a bit cramped. I like the Vigo for the interior space

> but some complain about certain components being made to a lesser

> standard than the previous Hilux Tiger.

I couldn't help by laugh out loud seeing the length of the gear stick in the manual version. That pole is just rediculous. :D Also noticed the rear-window heating where the connector and wire are visible and 'loose' inside the cabin. Strange they let that one slip..

> One thing about the Mitsubishi trucks is that they sure last a long time.

All trucks last a long time. There's no 'bad' pick-ups in the Thai market. All of them are built to last forever, and then some.

> My father-in-law has a Mitsubishi Cyclone (the generation before Strada)

> which is 14+ years old and has over 500,000km on it. The truck still

> starts and runs fine everytime.

Right, indeed. Many such Isuzu's, Toyota's, Ford/Mazda's and Nissans around as well. It makes a LOT of sense to drive a pick-up in Thailand. Which one you choose depends a lot on personal taste and any good offers made by the particular dealer. I'd go with anything that's recent, so currently the Toyota Vigo or Mitsubishi Triton.

Cheers,

Chanchao