Which Pickup Truck Would You Buy........ And Why ?

happy ? me too , after a year and 30000kms with the bentley of pick ups

i can wholeheartedly recommend them.

trouble free , capable , roomy , very comfortable on long journeys , for those in the back seats too , great service from the dealerships.

its taken me all over thailand , up and down tracks that would be inaccessible in less capable machines. at home on or off the highway.

most sensible and practical vehicle i have ever owned.

ive also driven the competition , and frankly , there is no competition.

two brother in laws went the isuzu route and after lengthy spells in the workshop after gearbox failures , cambelt snappings , battery problems , aircon failure misery , suspension probs and arguments with the dealers over warranty conditions would never have isuzus again.

the new ford ranger , out later this year , should up the ante.

Edited by taxexile

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

3.0 g Vigo Automatic (black of course)

Mine nearly 2 years old. Hasnt missed a beat. Excellent value for money. Regularly do the Issan Bangkok run and its very comfortable. Took my 60 year old UK Mum from Issan to Koh Chang in the back seat and she said it was very comfortable. Can do 800km on a tank of diesel. Could do more but I dont want to run it that low. Have had 160km with lots of power left. Done a small amount of offroad in it. No probs. Was advised to run it in 4WD every 2000kms or so. Regularly take 13 members of family out for dinner in it. Hardly affects the performance.

Would recommend it for anyone

This is the one I fancy … Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Lt TDi 4X4 Auto 6 wheel StarFighter SSX Just a bit beyond my budget!!!

thanx heavens for small mercies ,

right up there with the hummer that ugly beast . :o

3.0 g Vigo Automatic (black of course)

Mine nearly 2 years old. Hasnt missed a beat. Excellent value for money. Regularly do the Issan Bangkok run and its very comfortable. Took my 60 year old UK Mum from Issan to Koh Chang in the back seat and she said it was very comfortable. Can do 800km on a tank of diesel. Could do more but I dont want to run it that low. Have had 160km with lots of power left. Done a small amount of offroad in it. No probs. Was advised to run it in 4WD every 2000kms or so. Regularly take 13 members of family out for dinner in it. Hardly affects the performance.

Would recommend it for anyone

How many km per liter would that be ??

This is the one I fancy … Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Lt TDi 4X4 Auto 6 wheel StarFighter SSX Just a bit beyond my budget!!!

Do you have a list price of the Triton models ?

Both Isuzu and Chevrolet Colorado are Japanese designs, GM just owns the brands. People buy Chevies mainly for the looks as they are no different from Isuzu in any other way.

About the looks - when I first saw Toyota Vigo I wasn't impressed and thought it was ugly (in 2wd form) but now, a year later, Vigo has become as common as Dmax, and I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

4WD Vigos were killers from the start and they look just awesome.

I guess the same will be with the new Mitsubishi - it's too radical for now, but it will grow on you in a few months.

If it was for me, I wouldn't buy five year old models from Isuzu/Chevrolet when there are brand new Toyota and Mitsu, and Ford/Mazda are coming out soon, and new Nissan.

But again, I wouldn't buy a five year old mobile phone while some people wouldn't mind at all. It's entirely people's choice. Technologically, Isuzu is still 20th century.

MET A YANK IN PATTERS THAT BOUGHT A CHEVY " CAUSE I HATE JAP CRAP " . OH HOW I LAUGHED :o

I did a test drive in a Hilux Vigo 4WD and Chevrolet - i really threw them around down the highway (sales girl was bouncing side to side in the back seat!) - must say that the Vigo was a far more stable and responsive drive. Also, i found that the Chevy engine sounded like a truck engine, and i could hardly hear the Vigo's 3.0 diesel.

So, i ordered the Vigo 2 months ago, was told 3 weeks for delivery, experienced bad customer service, in which the sales girl wouldnt even call me back....and now i have been promised a delivery this coming friday.

If it doesn't arrive, i will lay a big brown cable on their nicely polished showroom floor.

They employ amateur supermodels who know very little about cars - i questioned one of them on why there were 15'' wheels on one 4WD yet the standard was 16'' - she couldn't understand where i had found the wheel size on the vehicle!!! :o

I went to a nissan dealer in my vigo to collect a bumper cover for a friends navara, the sales girl looked at my truck and said " you want put on " .term stepford wife came to mind !

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2005-09-26 15:37:13)

Yesterday I drove up to Chiang Mai in a friend's Toyota Hilux, 4 wheel drive. I wish I had taken my car as I was bloody uncomfortable, and didn't get a good sleep. Feel too high up and as if it could roll-over with sudden turns.

If you are travelling long distances a car is much better, if you can afford one.

What do you mean?

Most decent family cars is cheaper than a 4wd truck. wink.gif

You can't even buy a Honda Civic for the price of the decent pick-up.

A decent car, like a BMW, even the cheapest 318 would be over 2 million.

I think there are many men who faced with a little 'civic' or a big cheap truck, due to financial reasons, would go for the truck. I wonder why? :o

EASY ANSWER TO THAT ONE, THE TRUCK IS BETTER VALUE AND CAN DO BOTH JOBS, ON AND OFF ROAD IF NEED BE, AS IN PATTAYA THE ROADS ARE AWFUL,HONDA JAZZ WOULD DISAPEAR INTO SOME OF HOLES HERE,

Dark film for windows is something I'd prefer to go without, yet almost every vehicle seems to have it ... if they're not actually tinted. I have always disliked wearing dark sunglasses and for same reason don't like tinted windows, makes everything too depressing :-) ... they look cool, but I don't feel it ... anyone got vehicle without and what do you think?

My one experience of driving with tinted windows (a month's rental of a Suzuki Caribbean in Chiang Mai) has put me off the idea completely. Main reason was that after dark it was almost impossible to see the left-hand wing mirror clearly enough to check that I didn't have a motorbike coming up on the inside when I was taking a left corner - given that a high percentage didn't have their headlights working. Even on lit streets, I found I was having to drive with the passenger window wound down to give me a clear view - which makes nonsense of the aircon never mind privacy. Come to that, I didn't find that it made a significant difference to the interior temperature in the sun either..........

Could be that it was a bad choice of the Suzuki's owner and other tints are better in the night-vision respect - but I now have my doubts.

Comments from tint fans?

I hate that dark tint,! toyota dealer it put on my truck i had them remove it and fit 25 per cent, good enough to cool ,can see out and people at junctions can see if you have spotted them, should be banned, and unless there is a warrant for your arrest ,or you are with the mia noy i done see the need for it ! :o Edited by mikethevigoman

• 1 year later...

Why on earth would someone want a pick up then make it shorter?

Times have changed and with young kids I need something bigger. I'd never buy a pick-up lorry :o but can anyone suggest a good bigger vehicle?

Edited by Neeranam

The Nissan Navara is the biggest and most powerful pickup made in Thailand. I have an old 2004 Nissan Frontier that has been the best most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

I always had my Nissan serviced at the Wang Saphung Nissan dealer. The last time I was in there, I noticed a new Isuzu pickup parked in the service area. I asked the dealer who the Isuzu belonged to. He grinned and said it was his. I asked him why he didn't have a new Nissan and he told me the Isuzu was a better truck. :o

The Nissan Navara is the biggest and most powerful pickup made in Thailand. I have an old 2004 Nissan Frontier that has been the best most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

I always had my Nissan serviced at the Wang Saphung Nissan dealer. The last time I was in there, I noticed a new Isuzu pickup parked in the service area. I asked the dealer who the Isuzu belonged to. He grinned and said it was his. I asked him why he didn't have a new Nissan and he told me the Isuzu was a better truck. :o

Are you a farmer Gary? :D

Are you a farmer Gary? :D

No, I'm not a farmer but my wife is. Why?

• 2 years later...

I just wanted to ask for an update on which pick-up truck would you buy and why? As of today, since Toyota just launch the new Vigo Champ and with the new Ranger and the soon to be launched Colorado and Isuzu and finally the Triton. Which pick-up truck would you buy and why?

I just wanted to ask for an update on which pick-up truck would you buy and why? As of today, since Toyota just launch the new Vigo Champ and with the new Ranger and the soon to be launched Colorado and Isuzu and finally the Triton. Which pick-up truck would you buy and why?

There's 8 pages of outdated info here, perhaps a new thread is a good idea?