Ford Ranger T6 2.2 Tdci

Have any of the many, many happy new Ranger owners had an after-market burglar alarm fitted?

I purchased an alarm/immobilizer/remote-start kit in the UK on eBay and finally got around to asking the local leading and recommended alarm/audio/bling installer in Udon Thani how much to get it installed. He said that the new Ranger's OEM security (smart box and chipped keys) prevented this from being done. By way of comparison, this Udon installer is the equivalent of Boy Air in Pattaya where they have a great reputation for getting you what you want and doing a high quality job. Sorry, I have no similar 'benchmark' of Bangkok installers.

Now maybe he has a policy of installing only what he sells or, being at the end of the day, he misunderstood and thought I wanted it fitted now. I was surprised that he balked at the job and gave technicalities as the issue rather than simply telling me to bugger off.

Point of note: I did ask the eBay seller (also an installer) about compatibility and despite their not having any experience of installing in the new Ranger (not many about), he didn't suggest that it was impossible.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have any of the many, many happy new Ranger owners had an after-market burglar alarm fitted?

I purchased an alarm/immobilizer/remote-start kit in the UK on eBay and finally got around to asking the local leading and recommended alarm/audio/bling installer in Udon Thani how much to get it installed. He said that the new Ranger's OEM security (smart box and chipped keys) prevented this from being done. By way of comparison, this Udon installer is the equivalent of Boy Air in Pattaya where they have a great reputation for getting you what you want and doing a high quality job. Sorry, I have no similar 'benchmark' of Bangkok installers.

Now maybe he has a policy of installing only what he sells or, being at the end of the day, he misunderstood and thought I wanted it fitted now. I was surprised that he balked at the job and gave technicalities as the issue rather than simply telling me to bugger off.

Point of note: I did ask the eBay seller (also an installer) about compatibility and despite their not having any experience of installing in the new Ranger (not many about), he didn't suggest that it was impossible.

Remote start and immobiliser in BKK, this conversion is 6000b.

I thought the standard coded key system was fairly safe? Okay there is no acoustic alarm.

In Pattaya forum there was one guy that had his Fortuner broken into at a shopping center

and 2 Samsung phones stolen.

He also has alarm system fitted but some members answered that if somebody sits nearby they can jaam the signal

if you got the right equipment and get into the car easily.

Remote start and immobiliser in BKK, this conversion is 6000b.

That looks pretty sexy for only 130 quid. I see it folds the wing mirrors when it locks as well. The eBay one I bought was around 40 quid and uses a 3-button dongle with the original key blade.

Any clues on where the shop is that does these?... or should I just call or email the guy?

I see quite a few of these systems on eBay, but all of them, including the Thinkbox brand that looks similar to the one in the video, replace the ignition with a start button. This one in the video appears to use some sort of a coded small key that goes into the OEM ignition. Would I assume that means that if all else fails you can still use your original coded key?

I see quite a few of these systems on eBay, but all of them, including the Thinkbox brand that looks similar to the one in the video, replace the ignition with a start button. This one in the video appears to use some sort of a coded small key that goes into the OEM ignition. Would I assume that means that if all else fails you can still use your original coded key?

Looks like the whole OEM ignition switch barrel is replaced by the new system's simple 3 position rotary switch. The security comes from the RFID alarm key-card that not only locks and unlocks the doors but also enables the simple start switch on proximity. If the car was left unlocked, the start switch won't work unless the key-card is within a few meters. I would assume that similar to the secure coded 'keyless' ignition dongles like in some Mercedes Benz models, if the card is in the drivers pocket and he stops and pops into the local 7-eleven for a coldie, the car automatically turns off and/or locks and ignition (start switch) is inhibited. Of course, if the driver leaves the key-card in the ashtray and gets out, the whole idea is defeated!... like I did that in the Merc when I stopped for some fish and chips back home one cold and rainy night.

Anyway, back to my point, from this is appears that alarm systems that replace the Ford OEM 'smartbox' security can be installed. The alarm I bought has comprehensive installation instructions as well as wiring information specific to the previous Ranger model... and I have a set of new Ranger wiring diagrams. Being qualified in electronics and the like, I would say I could do the installation myself but the easy removal of dashboard, facia and other bits of snap-to-fit molded plastic is NOT in my resume, hence the need for a professional installer with all his fishing hooks, unpopping devices and replacement plastic snaps!

Edited by NanLaew

So what happens then to the OEM key chip security system? I read some of the instructions on the numerous eBay systems and they say that you need to disassemble the original Ford key and remove the chip and mount it near the ignition switch to "fool" the system.

As much as I think it is a neat idea and would love to have it, I would be afraid that at the worst possible time the battery would die in that tiny remote and I would be stuck somewhere without a bar in sight biggrin.png

Edited by CDNinKS

So what happens then to the OEM key chip security system? I read some of the instructions on the numerous eBay systems and they say that you need to disassemble the original Ford key and remove the chip and mount it near the ignition switch to "fool" the system.

As much as I think it is a neat idea and would love to have it, I would be afraid that at the worst possible time the battery would die in that tiny remote and I would be stuck somewhere without a bar in sight biggrin.png

Yes, the alarm I bought has this option to adapt the existing spare chipped key OR make the installation 'key less' in that regard as follows.

NOTE #1: This vehicle is equipped with a Special Anti-theft key, to remote start you will need a Bypass module 791, use this module IF you have an extra ignition key to place inside the 791 to remote start, if you do not have an extra key to use or wish not to have a key placed inside this bypass module, we OFFER a KEYLESS INTERFACE BYPASS MODULE that does not require a key to be placed inside the bypass module, this is Part # PKALL or PKFM, either one will work, to order, go to the INTERFACE BYPASS MODULE PAGE on this website. NOTE #2: The SJB,(SMART JUCTION BOX) is located in the PASSENGER KICKPANEL (Ranger 2007-2011).

I guess batteries can die in any dongle... and they can get wet too. I think that somehow having the old fashioned steel key handy would at least get you in out of the rain... if there's no pubs around!

Edited by NanLaew

I thought the standard coded key system was fairly safe? Okay there is no acoustic alarm.

In Pattaya forum there was one guy that had his Fortuner broken into at a shopping center

and 2 Samsung phones stolen.

He also has alarm system fitted but some members answered that if somebody sits nearby they can jaam the signal

if you got the right equipment and get into the car easily.

I believe that the alarm systems have a latency period (about 10 s for the PJS if I am not mistaken). Ten seconds is more than enough to break a window, grab a bag and run away, all the while without setting off the alarm.

The rationale being to allow the forgetful owner to disarm the alarm through inserting the contact key.

How safe are these new trucks ?

Seen a lot of accidents in the past few days, Come across at least 30 bad accidents in the past 10 days !! sure often see or come across accidents but most are small

Yesterday a new Ranger still with red plates, the roof had folded as well as the door, the driver was still in the truck, head on with another older truck where the driver jumped out.......... a week ago a new also on red plates Toyota Vigo the cab had folded up, both driver and passenger still inside, not moving, head-on with an older D-Max, appeared much smaller damage + cab and door fine, and the driver got out of truck appeared unhurt...

Monday but had happened a while before a new Mazda BT50 Pro, almost the same damage as the Ford Ranger, no idea if the door was folded because of the rescue or in the accident..

Seen a lot of accidents in the past few days, Come across at least 30 bad accidents in the past 10 days !! sure often see or come across accidents but most are small

Yesterday a new Ranger still with red plates, the roof had folded as well as the door, the driver was still in the truck, head on with another older truck where the driver jumped out.......... a week ago a new also on red plates Toyota Vigo the cab had folded up, both driver and passenger still inside, not moving, head-on with an older D-Max, appeared much smaller damage + cab and door fine, and the driver got out of truck appeared unhurt...

Monday but had happened a while before a new Mazda BT50 Pro, almost the same damage as the Ford Ranger, no idea if the door was folded because of the rescue or in the accident..

Interesting observations there ignis.. Unfortunately the NCAP programs testing the trucks on sale in TH don't do vehicle-vehicle crash tests, lest old-to-new vehicle crashes..

In the case of a head on, both vehicles have experienced the same impact forces, so it's a pretty reliable indicator of which one performed best..

Interesting observations there ignis.. Unfortunately the NCAP programs testing the trucks on sale in TH don't do vehicle-vehicle crash tests, lest old-to-new vehicle crashes..

In the case of a head on, both vehicles have experienced the same impact forces, so it's a pretty reliable indicator of which one performed best..

Which seems to indicate very poor cabin integrity protection, thus... So much for the "safer" Ranger.

Which seems to indicate very poor cabin integrity protection, thus... So much for the "safer" Ranger.

The "safer" Ranger is not offered for sale in Thailand, this is how they get the price down to a salable level for the locals. ........... Not a chance will a Thai pay 1.6million for an XLT Ranger let alone 2mill + for a wildtrak.

Yes it does sounds worrying for sure.

If a cabin folds up on impact I thought that is was part of the impact zone where as much as possible of the vehicle absorb the impact without compromising the people in the cabin?

I can't imagine that Ford Thailand have 2 productions lines, one for overseas market and one for local? If they even uses lower grade steel for the local one the is a strong indicator that they indeed uses 2 different production lines.

Disappointing, I must say. I wish somebody knew for sure.

Anybody got the e-mail address to the local CEO?

Yes it does sounds worrying for sure.

If a cabin folds up on impact I thought that is was part of the impact zone where as much as possible of the vehicle absorb the impact without compromising the people in the cabin?

I can't imagine that Ford Thailand have 2 productions lines, one for overseas market and one for local? If they even uses lower grade steel for the local one the is a strong indicator that they indeed uses 2 different production lines.

Disappointing, I must say. I wish somebody knew for sure.

Anybody got the e-mail address to the local CEO?

I do not think there are two lines of production, nor that they are using different grades of steel. Nevertheless, it might bring up some explanations on delays in the production of the WT 3.2... structural issues with the cabin?

Normally, the front of the car and the back are "crumple" zones, destined to absorb the shock of impact, while maintaining the cabin itself intact. It could be that there is a structural issue with the cabin conception.

One thing I've noticed when washing the Ranger by hand, is that the door panels, roof & bonnet flex when pushed. My 2001 Strada is rock solid. This may be because the panels on the Ranger are bigger, or just structurally weaker.

Thai domestic ranger has a lower grade of steel in both the chassis and body.

All are happily built on the same production line in the same fashion a wildtrak is built with an XLT after it on the line...it is all down to the part picking system for the given vin number allocation..............

Or do you think the Wildtrak is on a different line to the XLT due to differences in finished vehicle spec ?

One thing I've noticed when washing the Ranger by hand, is that the door panels, roof & bonnet flex when pushed. My 2001 Strada is rock solid. This may be because the panels on the Ranger are bigger, or just structurally weaker.

How to offer better performance, while not increasing the motor output (hence gas consumption)? Simply by making the car lighter... And one way of making the car lighter is of using less metal or thinner metal on panels.

Reminds me of my experience when pushing a modern CRV while parking... The front fender was bending under my bare hands! It was worst on the front cover.

How to offer better performance, while not increasing the motor output (hence gas consumption)? Simply by making the car lighter... And one way of making the car lighter is of using less metal or thinner metal on panels.

Reminds me of my experience when pushing a modern CRV while parking... The front fender was bending under my bare hands! It was worst on the front cover.

The ranger is around 2 tonnes so looks like they failed in that respect to make it lighter.

I would have thought the ranger was much more expensive in Australia because of difference in the tax regime. It's hard to believe the body metal and chassis are made of thinner material. Might check out the weight of the ranger from Aust websites to see how it compares with the Thai ranger. The thicker metal and stronger chassis (assuming they have used the same kind of metal), should make it heavier than the local ranger.

I guess we can see now what happens when two pickups collide.

Thai domestic ranger has a lower grade of steel in both the chassis and body.

All are happily built on the same production line in the same fashion a wildtrak is built with an XLT after it on the line...it is all down to the part picking system for the given vin number allocation..............

Or do you think the Wildtrak is on a different line to the XLT due to differences in finished vehicle spec ?

I have doubts about this Spoonman. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you're incorrect.

It just seems incomprehensible to me that Ford would build two spec Ranger's in terms of different steel.

One for Thailand & another for Export with superior grade steel in order to pass impact standards.

How do you think we can find out for sure what you are suggesting is true?

If it is in fact, the case, surely Thai consumers might have a case for a giant class action case against Ford.

Do you agree this needs publicity because if you are correct it would imply Ford think less of Thai consumers than those of other countries?

If what you are alleging, is the case, it may well have very serious ramifications. On the other hand, if it is not the case, it may well have very serious ramifications.............

I have a question, made me wonder at the time of the accident with the New Vigo and the older D-Max....

I was there at the time but did not see it happen, had walk up the Village to the road crossed over to the 7/11, this is a new 7/11 there is no other shop or building anywhere near.... I was inside the shop when the big bang happened right outside, so looked seconds after... the road is small one lane in each direction, straight, cannot work out how 2 truck could hit each other head-on and square, both trucks front wheels were locking into each other.. both truck were loaded and had the chrome bar frames fitted.

The older D-Max was the extra cab...... the new Vigo was a open cab... as with many older truck there is just 1x opening door, or on a 4 door you still have the pillar between doors.... Ford and Mazda have for years and now most other trucks have the same NO pillar open cab..

The area is therefore a lot larger with no support, could this be a reason why the Vigo roof folded ? same with the New Ranger and BT50 Pro. accidents I came across where the roof had folded ?

I have a question, made me wonder at the time of the accident with the New Vigo and the older D-Max....

I was there at the time but did not see it happen, had walk up the Village to the road crossed over to the 7/11, this is a new 7/11 there is no other shop or building anywhere near.... I was inside the shop when the big bang happened right outside, so looked seconds after... the road is small one lane in each direction, straight, cannot work out how 2 truck could hit each other head-on and square, both trucks front wheels were locking into each other.. both truck were loaded and had the chrome bar frames fitted.

The older D-Max was the extra cab...... the new Vigo was a open cab... as with many older truck there is just 1x opening door, or on a 4 door you still have the pillar between doors.... Ford and Mazda have for years and now most other trucks have the same NO pillar open cab..

The area is therefore a lot larger with no support, could this be a reason why the Vigo roof folded ? same with the New Ranger and BT50 Pro. accidents I came across where the roof had folded ?

That is quite possible that a 4 door because of the pillars are stronger.

I also noticed on my Ranger that the roof plate is extremely thin and as MEsmith noticed also when you wash it you can fell it's giving away. The front bumper with the rounded corners is also a thin plastic thing but that is made to reduce impact to pedestrians.

Spoonman, I am sorry but I simply don't believe that they are making a lower grade steel for the Thai market, I doesn't make sense as Woodsie also points out, so if you buy a Ranger in say Malaysia do you get the Thai version or Aus. model?

I really wish we could get this sorted once and for all, IMHO help pleaseeeeeebiggrin.png

Not a Trucker, but i notice you seem to see the same new truck but with different ride hights. One looks nice,the other stupid IMO.Can you specify.?.coffee1.gif

I got the stupid version so I can drive easily though the flooded roads during next rainy season, in my old Honda City I almost drowned twice.

In my stupid version I also have a nice view.

Since it's not a racing car I have no intensions of lowering it as you see many young Thai dudes do.

And since I am over 50 now I don't really care if a pop star find it stupid or not, I like it and that what matters to me.wink.png